Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked 2 years $60 (50% discount)

Trustn01

CAGiversary!
I've been waiting for this deal to come back around.  Best Buy will be running a half-off their Gamers Club Unlocked membership from 5/25 - 5/31.  It's normally $119.99 and will be on sale for $60.  They run this promo every once in a while and it makes the membership worthwhile.

Assuming Best Buy is still around for 2 years, here's what you'll get:

Gamers Club Unlocked Benefits:
Get 20% off new video games for 2 full years
Get 2x base points on new video game software, digital content, and game accessories
Get 2 points for every dollar when you trade-in games
Get points on gaming consoles
Redeem Reward Certificates on nearly everything at Best Buy
10% bonus trade-in credit on your video game software trade-ins
10% off pre-owned games
Buy two, get the third free on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon
Save 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon

I'm still not sure what's going on with their magazine but I assume if it's still being posted digitally, it would probably be included also.

How can I do this, not sure what you're referencing.
Thanks to the new pm policy of 45 days alot of people just matched a game to $32. As elite plus gives you 45 days even more if you purchase your game on the sat. of release week. 30 days if elite.
Not as good as 60 but close enough to really work out.

How can I do this, not sure what you're referencing.
i'm not exactly sure where the 32 came from but i suspect that GCU price on $60 game priced adjusted to 39.99

even without price adjustments....
$60 game is $48 with GCU. Lots of games have $10 reward certificate, so that's $38.
lots of new games trade in (with GCU bonus) for $42-45

add in the occasional weird GCU promo (like the tomb raider pricing if you bought another game), and it's quite easy to net credit on games bought through GCU. and before you tell me about tanking TIV, keep in mind i traded in FIFA and NFS:R 4mos post purchase for $40-44 - so you have time to finish the games.

So I posted in the bby unlocked forums about not receiving a welcome packet for GCU and they sent me a PM saying that they reached their monthly allotment of "replacement" packets (they're digitial) and will have to get back to me later. I wonder if they do this on purpose so they don't have to give out coupons.

So I posted in the bby unlocked forums about not receiving a welcome packet for GCU and they sent me a PM saying that they reached their monthly allotment of "replacement" packets (they're digitial) and will have to get back to me later. I wonder if they do this on purpose so they don't have to give out coupons.
I had the same thing, but they did eventually send me a link, it just took a few more weeks.

[quote name="cecilkilmer" post="11910104" timestamp="1405014001"]I had the same thing, but they did eventually send me a link, it just took a few more weeks.[/quote]
That's good news! Their response made it sound like they just wanted to humor me. I'm glad they actually follow through.

[quote name="cecilkilmer" post="11910104" timestamp="1405014001"]I had the same thing, but they did eventually send me a link, it just took a few more weeks.[/quote]
In a surprisingly quick turn around, they sent me another message yesterday and said they got more welcome packets in and sent a link to the coupons.

Has anyone been banned yet?

I mistakenly thought some previous purchases were done with my chick's account (since I had her pick the stuff up), and have purchased 5 of the same item since the inception of GCU.

I just burned my accumulated reward points that I was banking, just in case. If i get the hammer, I won't cry. I should have paid better attention and lord knows I got more than my $30 worth out of the deal.

Has anyone been banned yet?
I mistakenly thought some previous purchases were done with my chick's account (since I had her pick the stuff up), and have purchased 5 of the same item since the inception of GCU.
I just burned my accumulated reward points that I was banking, just in case. If i get the hammer, I won't cry. I should have paid better attention and lord knows I got more than my $30 worth out of the deal.
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/BestBuy-com/RANT-I-Order-5-BB-items-online-all-go-through-Next-order-auto/td-p/814062

Oh its MUCH worse than that. DO NOT attempt to use GCU on BestBuy.com. In fact, don't ever shop at BesBuy.com. GCU is great for IN STORE ONLY. Here is my story:

As a hardcore game buyer and brand new GCU member, I couldn't wait to pre-order all the games talked about at E3 this year with the 20% credit. I placed about 16 preorders online on BB.com with my GCU discount. All for different items, mind you. Well, even though I had had no problems in the past with canceled orders or billing issues with pre-orders before getting GCU, and even though I used the same BB credit card, billing address, etc. as I always had, all 16 orders developed "billing errors" after first going through just fine, and all ended up getting canceled. Phone support was zero help, they couldn't figure it out. Online support was apologetic and said IT support was looking into the issue and eventually resolved it, but it kept happening. A complete waste of time, and I even lost some reward certs and giftcards, which to their credit their online support reimbursed me for. CC company said absolutely nothing was wrong with my card.

So from now on, I am only using GCU in store, and putting all my pre-orders in store at the kiosk and paying the $5 deposit. So far this is working, but already BB has shown further incompetence, in terms of missing preorder codes, flaky touchscreens on their preorder kiosks, ancient billing addresses popping up during checkout and the cashier refusing me to let me hit the "Incorrect" button because she's too lazy to fix it and telling me to fix it online when its already correct online.

If this $60 GCU program wasn't saving me hundreds over the next two years, I'd never shop at BB again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance they'll ever do an online sign up for this? I just can't bring myself to physically enter a Best Buy.
No. And see my above post. The store is the only way you can guarantee a pre-order correctly, in addition to be the only way to sign up. They want to drive physical foot traffic to their stores.

Ummmm....I think this is probably YMMV.  I've always pre-ordered online.  Never in-store.  I have never had a bad problem.  I might have to bug them about the $10 cert if I don't see it after 15 days, but that's about it.  Never had an order cancelled. 

I've never had a problem with online preorders, but I've never had 16 at one time.

I've actually had my GCU discount not show up on multiple occasions when buying games in the store and I know that has happened to a friend of mine also. I usually just do an online order and choose store pickup to avoid any complications. I also do online order with store pickup for my preorders.

In a surprisingly quick turn around, they sent me another message yesterday and said they got more welcome packets in and sent a link to the coupons.
I have yet to get any welcome coupons when I bought GCU back in June or something

I just have a quick question since this thread still has active memebers. How often does Best Buy run a sale on the GCU? I missed out on this one and found it when researching if I should get an account vs Gamestop PowerUp Rewards card. Hopefully they run it again before Black Friday rolls around. Thanks in advance.

Oh its MUCH worse than that. DO NOT attempt to use GCU on BestBuy.com. In fact, don't ever shop at BesBuy.com. GCU is great for IN STORE ONLY. Here is my story:

As a hardcore game buyer and brand new GCU member, I couldn't wait to pre-order all the games talked about at E3 this year with the 20% credit. I placed about 16 preorders online on BB.com with my GCU discount. All for different items, mind you. Well, even though I had had no problems in the past with canceled orders or billing issues with pre-orders before getting GCU, and even though I used the same BB credit card, billing address, etc. as I always had, all 16 orders developed "billing errors" after first going through just fine, and all ended up getting canceled. Phone support was zero help, they couldn't figure it out. Online support was apologetic and said IT support was looking into the issue and eventually resolved it, but it kept happening. A complete waste of time, and I even lost some reward certs and giftcards, which to their credit their online support reimbursed me for. CC company said absolutely nothing was wrong with my card.

So from now on, I am only using GCU in store, and putting all my pre-orders in store at the kiosk and paying the $5 deposit. So far this is working, but already BB has shown further incompetence, in terms of missing preorder codes, flaky touchscreens on their preorder kiosks, ancient billing addresses popping up during checkout and the cashier refusing me to let me hit the "Incorrect" button because she's too lazy to fix it and telling me to fix it online when its already correct online.

If this $60 GCU program wasn't saving me hundreds over the next two years, I'd never shop at BB again.
Happens to me, it's from fraud alert. They send a text and I hit it's ok and they all go through.

Credit card company looks for unusual activity like 16 orders for the same amount.

Ummmm....I think this is probably YMMV. I've always pre-ordered online. Never in-store. I have never had a bad problem. I might have to bug them about the $10 cert if I don't see it after 15 days, but that's about it. Never had an order cancelled.
I'm not sure I ever got my $10 cert for South Park. Is there an easy way to check if a $10 cert was specifically a preorder cert?

I'm not sure I ever got my $10 cert for South Park. Is there an easy way to check if a $10 cert was specifically a preorder cert?
If you log in to the myBB site, check your points/purchase history. Find the order; it's sorted by when you made the order (not the game's release date). Click the plus sign to the left and it will expand and show details of your points. Should say something like "Victory Can Be Preordered Bonus 500" (the 500 is the points) if you got the preorder cert/pts.

Yes, I feel the same way about Sony TVs. My Sony TV died, so therefore NOBODY EVER BUY A SONY TV EVER AGAIN! EVA!

Seriously, dude. We're sorry you had a bad experience, but I've bought probably over 100 games now with GCU, and never had a single issue online.

If you log in to the myBB site, check your points/purchase history. Find the order; it's sorted by when you made the order (not the game's release date). Click the plus sign to the left and it will expand and show details of your points. Should say something like "Victory Can Be Preordered Bonus 500" (the 500 is the points) if you got the preorder cert/pts.
Thank you. Will check when Best Buy is working. Currently it can't display my rewards info. Boo!

I've never had a problem with online preorders, but I've never had 16 at one time.

I've actually had my GCU discount not show up on multiple occasions when buying games in the store and I know that has happened to a friend of mine also. I usually just do an online order and choose store pickup to avoid any complications. I also do online order with store pickup for my preorders.
Precisely this for me as well. Never had an issue with online preorder s either for shipping or pick up. Yet getting the discount in store is hit or miss. Lately I've been waiting to have them scan my card after totalling and that seems to work good. When they've scanned it first its a toss up go figure

Any chance they'll ever do an online sign up for this? I just can't bring myself to physically enter a Best Buy.
It`s the 5th item under review probably some simple tech issue(s) that SHOULD only take 30 days or less but with BB it`ll be 8-12 months.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/IdeaX/status-key/UnderReview/tab/popular

I have yet to get any welcome coupons when I bought GCU back in June or something
Post on the forums

I just have a quick question since this thread still has active memebers. How often does Best Buy run a sale on the GCU? I missed out on this one and found it when researching if I should get an account vs Gamestop PowerUp Rewards card. Hopefully they run it again before Black Friday rolls around. Thanks in advance.
It happened 3 times since like March but this last one ran for 5 weeks backed by the weekly ad & E3 so maybe 1 more time this year if at all honestly. They`ve already switched to offering discounted subs with systems and/or warranties.

It`s the 5th item under review probably some simple tech issue(s) that SHOULD only take 30 days or less but with BB it`ll be 8-12 months.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/IdeaX/status-key/UnderReview/tab/popular

Post on the forums

It happened 3 times since like March but this last one ran for 5 weeks backed by the weekly ad & E3 so maybe 1 more time this year if at all honestly. They`ve already switched to offering discounted subs with systems and/or warranties.
This makes me kinda sad. Was hoping to get in on this before Black Friday and the rush of games coming out this Holiday Season.

i got the 3 coupons but what does the save 10 percent of a digital gaming purchased up to 14.99 mean. is it for dlc purchased of the kiosk where you preorder. im not sure what exactly it covers.

It rarely corrects in the store when you try to. I work there. It doesn't work.

Doing pre-orders online can be a problem. They check the amount on your credit card like every 2 or 3 days so your credit or debit card is being constantly pinged for the same amount. It either triggers a fraud alert or if your funds aren't there in like the case of a debit card your order gets cancelled. If you pre-order in store it's just $5 and you pay the rest when you pick up. I wish they were the same. Every other store just charges it when it ships.

Ordering games online without a pre-order is no problem.

Care to elaborate? I've been looking for promotions, but didn't find any on CAG or BBs website. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.
You won`t find them on BB.com how much seed money do you have? $200 should cover it(you won`t actually have to lose $200)
1- Get 2 movers kit coupons
2- Use 1 on a BB $200 pre-paid visa +$16
3- Buy 2 $15 GS PUR pro subs to get 2 B2G1 coupons(ask the staff that way you get 2 coupons)
4- Find 2 games at GS with $44 BB TIV hopefully a PS3 & 360 version of the same title or something like it
5- Use the b2g1 coupon on each set & the GS B-day coupon on each one too
6- Trade all 6 games into BB
7- Use the 2nd movers coupon on the GCU sub -$12+ tax
8- Pay using the gc`s from the trades with credit leftover for later
9- The visa should be used to pay the GS subs & for the 6 games you may have credit left on it too.

If you chose a $54.99 GS game each(1 will be $39.xx, 1 $49.xx 1 free + $15 for the sub) so $104.xx + tax turns into $134.xx @ BB per set. +$30ish(before tax) per set. If the games are on sale at GS even better.

In the end you have the sub for $60 true cost, 2 yrs of PUR(which you can see pays off well when used right), over 4,000 PUR pts, 184 base mybb purchases pts, pts on the trades(at least $5 back in credit) and credit left over at BB.

I can do it all in about an hour since GS are right next to BB so your time may vary. There maybe other straight buy/trade flips that net + $10-$20 per game to which are simplier but aren`t always available & won`t yield the same payoff b/c there`s less work involved.

Saving`s of $60+ in an hr I wouldn`t mind making $60/hr although then I probably wouldn`t be a CAG.

Doing pre-orders online can be a problem. They check the amount on your credit card like every 2 or 3 days so your credit or debit card is being constantly pinged for the same amount. It either triggers a fraud alert or if your funds aren't there in like the case of a debit card your order gets cancelled. If you pre-order in store it's just $5 and you pay the rest when you pick up. I wish they were the same. Every other store just charges it when it ships.

Ordering games online without a pre-order is no problem.
I've heard of this happening, but i've done a number of pre-orders with my credit card with no problems. I dont use my debit card online b/c i like keeping my money. haha.

Enuf,

Good post bc since I bought GCU in May I haven't really seen any of those "sweetheart" deals that seemed so common in 2012 and 2013. This kind of economic thinking is useful right now.

Also, depending on the State you're in, $60/hr is not enough to stop CAG-ing.  In CA, $60 is only $39 after taxes.  So it would take about $100/hr to stop CAG-ing.  Otherwise, paying more than what these games are "worth" or not getting the best deals will still bother you. 

Enuf,

Good post bc since I bought GCU in May I haven't really seen any of those "sweetheart" deals that seemed so common in 2012 and 2013. This kind of economic thinking is useful right now.

Also, depending on the State you're in, $60/hr is not enough to stop CAG-ing. In CA, $60 is only $39 after taxes. So it would take about $100/hr to stop CAG-ing. Otherwise, paying more than what these games are "worth" or not getting the best deals will still bother you.
I`m from the hood North Philadelphia most ppl here are getting under $10/hr, the $27-$33/hr I make is nice but having to spend $15,000+ of it on gas not so nice. Back when I started gas was around $1/gal vs $3.60/gal same $21 fill up is now $67/day. That`s a new game per day lost LOL.

At $60/hr you`re a thousandaire where I`m from living good. I wouldn`t stop being a CAG but if I made $100K/yr 6-7 yrs ago I probably wouldn`t have found CAG.

Since Jan. I`d say there`s been 10 chances to REALLY REALLY clean up stacking up $500-$2000 depending on your seed money.

[quote name="Enuf" post="11956666" timestamp="1406342120"]I`m from the hood North Philadelphia most ppl here are getting under $10/hr, the $27-$33/hr I make is nice but having to spend $15,000+ of it on gas not so nice. Back when I started gas was around $1/gal vs $3.60/gal same $21 fill up is now $67/day. That`s a new game per day lost LOL.
At $60/hr you`re a thousandaire where I`m from living good. I wouldn`t stop being a CAG but if I made $100K/yr 6-7 yrs ago I probably wouldn`t have found CAG.
Since Jan. I`d say there`s been 10 chances to REALLY REALLY clean up stacking up $500-$2000 depending on your seed money.[/quote

Wtf I drive a 2013 Toyota Sequoia I don't spend anywhere near that much in gas. That gas guzzler gets 13-15 miles a gallon :(

But it takes about 70 dollars to fill up.

Since Jan. I`d say there`s been 10 chances to REALLY REALLY clean up stacking up $500-$2000 depending on your seed money.
Any easy ways to get Elite Plus? I started buying those Visa cards to use on everyday stuff, but are there any other ways?

Wtf I drive a 2013 Toyota Sequoia I don't spend anywhere near that much in gas. That gas guzzler gets 13-15 miles a gallon :(

But it takes about 70 dollars to fill up.
I'm pretty sure his job involves driving.

[quote name="jedex" post="11956890" timestamp="1406349427"][quote name="Enuf" post="11956666" timestamp="1406342120"]I`m from the hood North Philadelphia most ppl here are getting under $10/hr, the $27-$33/hr I make is nice but having to spend $15,000+ of it on gas not so nice. Back when I started gas was around $1/gal vs $3.60/gal same $21 fill up is now $67/day. That`s a new game per day lost LOL.
Since Jan. I`d say there`s been 10 chances to REALLY REALLY clean up stacking up $500-$2000 depending on your seed money.[/quote

But it takes about 70 dollars to fill up.[/quote]
I drive an 2002 Toyota Sienna about the same size gas tank w/20ish MPG but I drive well over 200 miles a day over 3 states. And NJ gas prices are much cheaper than PA/DE so I gotta fill up there everyday before finishing up in PA/DE. Just think if gas was $1/gal I`d have a clear $10,000 per yr over 20 yrs that`s retirement money in my 40`s with plenty of time to clear my gaming backlog.

Or we could all crowdsource thru CAG w/Cheapy when there`s a 500 million powerball jackpot making the entire community Rich@ss/CAG. Even then though there`d be "not a deal, MSRP, shipping kills the deal" ppl who flake out literally costing themselves millions b/c they didn`t wanna pony up $100 of their BB/Target/WM/GS trade in profit. That complaint thread would be epic 10000x crazier than the current BB BOGO LOL

Did the 3 game limit (regardless of platform) ever change? i remember gcu rules stated that buying 3 games even across all platforms being bannable. is there an updated limit? platform-specific, etc?

I thought that the best buy forum moderators said that this policy would change? Any update on that?

Did the 3 game limit (regardless of platform) ever change? i remember gcu rules stated that buying 3 games even across all platforms being bannable. is there an updated limit? platform-specific, etc?

I thought that the best buy forum moderators said that this policy would change? Any update on that?
Nothing as far as I'm aware of. It's 3 copies of a game on ANY platform. This also includes enhanced/goty/remasters.

they don't have any sort of automated script that goes out and finds people who do it and then auto ban, their IT systems are the equivalent of being back in the stone age and they don't have the capabilities to run the sort of relational queries multi-SKU cross checking would require.  

They have that policy in place as justification for a ban if their LP dept finds someone who they suspect of being a reseller, its vague enough that its easy to justify against any sort of lawsuit.  

Unless you are doing stuff you know is shady I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Basically if you are pulling more money out of Best Buy than you are putting in then you may have to worry, but if all you are doing is buying stuff I doubt you are high on their list of people to check out.

Might be slightly off-topic, but has anyone successfully preordered two or three of the same limited/collector's edition sku (on the same platform) through Best Buy's kiosk, and had both requested copies waiting for them on release day?

I only ask because before Modern Warfare 3 came out, I preordered two Hardened Editions (360) through the kiosk.

When I showed up at the midnight launch, one of the staff members had only pulled one copy for me, and thought he had an extra to sell his friend.

When I showed him my preorder receipt(s), he then went to his buddy to tell him he didn't have any extra Hardened Editions.

Basically, if I hadn't shown up at the midnight launch I would have been screwed.

Now that I'm a GCU member, I'm wanting to go in-store today to preorder two or three Destiny Limited Editions across XB1 and PS4 through the kiosk, but don't want to deal with their team possibly screwing up my order again by not checking the quantity ordered with the line item.

Can anyone confirm that Best Buy's in-store process has improved, and that my LE/CE preorder concern is a thing of the past?

Any thoughts and/or first-hand experience(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

they don't have any sort of automated script that goes out and finds people who do it and then auto ban, their IT systems are the equivalent of being back in the stone age and they don't have the capabilities to run the sort of relational queries multi-SKU cross checking would require.

They have that policy in place as justification for a ban if their LP dept finds someone who they suspect of being a reseller, its vague enough that its easy to justify against any sort of lawsuit.

Unless you are doing stuff you know is shady I wouldn't worry about it too much. Basically if you are pulling more money out of Best Buy than you are putting in then you may have to worry, but if all you are doing is buying stuff I doubt you are high on their list of people to check out.
So that's the reason they can't figure out whose expiration dates are wrong, e.g. never got the 4 months or bought two years but only got credit for one? I can do that in my sleep.

bread's done
Back