Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked 2 years $60 (50% discount)

Trustn01

CAGiversary!
I've been waiting for this deal to come back around.  Best Buy will be running a half-off their Gamers Club Unlocked membership from 5/25 - 5/31.  It's normally $119.99 and will be on sale for $60.  They run this promo every once in a while and it makes the membership worthwhile.

Assuming Best Buy is still around for 2 years, here's what you'll get:

Gamers Club Unlocked Benefits:
Get 20% off new video games for 2 full years
Get 2x base points on new video game software, digital content, and game accessories
Get 2 points for every dollar when you trade-in games
Get points on gaming consoles
Redeem Reward Certificates on nearly everything at Best Buy
10% bonus trade-in credit on your video game software trade-ins
10% off pre-owned games
Buy two, get the third free on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon
Save 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon

I'm still not sure what's going on with their magazine but I assume if it's still being posted digitally, it would probably be included also.

I've had Unlocked for a while.  It applies automatically online.  It no longer works in store.  Any ideas?  The CSR called yesterday but they just told them to manually adjust the price.  That's not the same as getting the extra RZ points.

just a note on trade prices from the link you provided, hoss.

Fifa 14: 34.50 + 3.45 = 37.95
Ass Creed: 31 + 3.10 = 34.10
Infamous: 30 + 3 = 33
Need For Speed: 34.50 + 3.45 = 37.95
Wolfenstein: 34.50 + 3.45 = 37.95

the best buy trade thread has been tracking price changes for months. you can go back and see how games will go 44, down to 30, back to 38, down to 25, etc etc.
Maybe I'm missing something but I always thought the 10% GCU bonus only applied to the base value? So for FIFA it would be 23+11.5+2.3

I've had Unlocked for a while. It applies automatically online. It no longer works in store. Any ideas? The CSR called yesterday but they just told them to manually adjust the price. That's not the same as getting the extra RZ points.
How are they doing it when you try to buy stuff? It worked 100% correctly my first time last night, when I picked up Watch Dogs. At first, he tried to just scan the game, but I told him I had an account. He then restarted the transaction, entered the account, then scanned the game. That took the discount right away. If they try to add it after they scane the game, it's possible the system does not approve, I guess.

Attention all CAG'S! The 10% off moving coupon works on this. Got my subscription for $53. Stop at the post office before going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm missing something but I always thought the 10% GCU bonus only applied to the base value? So for FIFA it would be 23+11.5+2.3
This is how it works with bonus %. The 10% is applied to the original amount.

It's 60% extra with GCU this week (50+10%)

If you don't buy a lot of new games at release, trade in, or flip, is this program worth it?

Can anyone elaborate? I usually tend to not care about games (triple A or otherwise) when they first come out, but I really think I'm going to pick up Watch Dogs. Is it worth it for a really casual gamer to get GCU?

Also, do they have an option in-store of paying with Paypal? Weird question, I know, but I don't really want my parents to see me spending $100+ ($60 for GCU, $48 for WD) at Best Buy, and I have free control over my Paypal, so...

Can anyone elaborate? I usually tend to not care about games (triple A or otherwise) when they first come out, but I really think I'm going to pick up Watch Dogs. Is it worth it for a really casual gamer to get GCU?

Also, do they have an option in-store of paying with Paypal? Weird question, I know, but I don't really want my parents to see me spending $100+ ($60 for GCU, $48 for WD) at Best Buy, and I have free control over my Paypal, so...
If you get the Paypal debt you could easily + get 1% back.

You could always buy a Bestbuy Giftcard off a site like cardpool (4% off retail value).

[quote name="JW1023" post="11798611" timestamp="1401387391"]Can anyone elaborate? I usually tend to not care about games (triple A or otherwise) when they first come out, but I really think I'm going to pick up Watch Dogs. Is it worth it for a really casual gamer to get GCU?

Also, do they have an option in-store of paying with Paypal? Weird question, I know, but I don't really want my parents to see me spending $100+ ($60 for GCU, $48 for WD) at Best Buy, and I have free control over my Paypal, so...[/quote]

I second that elaboration request. Are the discounts alone with it? I tend to wait until games are $30 or less to buy them.

Also, like that other poster said, you should be able to buy a BBY Giftcard online with PayPal and use it in store.

If iI sign  up can I use it immediately? I'm wondering if there's anyway I can preorder Mario kart for the gas card and go on and sign up then apply it to the preorder. 

If iI sign up can I use it immediately? I'm wondering if there's anyway I can preorder Mario kart for the gas card and go on and sign up then apply it to the preorder.
It works immediately yes. Sometimes the Online part takes a few hours.

You could always buy a Bestbuy Giftcard off a site like cardpool (4% off retail value).
but if he wants the double points he won't recieve the points on the game or gaming stuff if he pays with gift card he will recieve zero points

I don't understand what you meant by the first statement. And I looked at cardpool - I don't think I'll get a card in time to get the GCU deal.

Paypal does a Debt Card, you get 1% back on everything you spend.

There are other places to get Giftcards that accept Paypal.   Your options are pretty limited on doing in store purchases using Paypal as the only source of funds.

I used GCU to preorder Watchdogs for 47.99 (ps3), which was 20% off $60. I will pick up my order tomorrow, but now I see WD is on sale for $57.99 (ps3). Can they do a price adjustment without messing up my preorder $10 bonus cert? So in essence I would pay $57.99 minus 20%, which would be $50.57 after tax instead of $52.31.

Enuf, your comments that you made in your last post prove everything right there. You are a big time flipper. Not everyone has time to flip items like your doing. You have probably being flipping so long that it's almost second nature to you now. But please understand that not all of us want to make trips to Best Buy 2-3 times a week. Do I think GCU pays some people to play? Yes I do. Do I see value in GCU? Yes I do. Do I think GCU and flipping games back to BB is for everyone? No I do not. It seems like you take offense to those who don't jump all over the GCU band wagon. I understand your sentiments and am not obtuse to your feelings on this matter but do we have to force GCU down people's throats? Why can't people make up their own mind on rather or not GCU is right for them? Why can't we give people the information on GCU and let them make their own informed decision? Why can't we just be happy that a fellow CAG brethren is saving a few bucks on said title buying it from joeblows.dotcom? Why? Why? Why?
The problem is people can`t make a decision when false info keeps getting spread here are the primary false statements about GCU,

1- "You have to buy alot of games" False
It`s already been proven that the entire cost can be gotten back on 1 game. 3 games should cover the average gamer

2- "You have to buy on day 1" False
Head to head waiting for BB sale prices will earn you 1 free $40 game per every 5 purchased. So 5 $40 games elsewhere is 6 at BB.

3- "You have to flip alot" False
You can fully cover the sub cost in 3 or less

4- "You have to trade alot" False
You can fully cover the cost in 3 trades

5- "You can save the same amount of money by waiting" False
Same as #2 not even included credits & other discounts plus consistant pm will earn pts making future discounted titles even cheaper or completely free

6- "You have to buy $60 games or MSRP" False
Same as #2 & #5

7- "You can`t keep the games" False
You may wind up trading in the game or buying 2 copies over time but you can most certainly day 1 game, trade & end up with the game.in your collection usually at a profit or for $5-$25.

8- "BB doesn`t always have the best deals" maybe
They pm most retailers even YMMV stuff like gc`s, effectively using GCU will net alot of credit which can eliminate the no tax amazon edge . And even if another store is purely cheaper would you rather pay $40 cash/credit/debit or $5 cash & the other $40 in certs/gc`s?

That`s alot of misinformation to weed out while also trying to assist people with legit questions abouf GCU. If I say a person can profit on day 1 I gotta be able to post how otherwise it`s all bull$hit.

Even in your post "I`m a big time flipper" I`m ok but I`m really efficient so I don`t need "alot of flips". My point is even at $120 you can do 1-3 flips TOTAL and fully pay off GCU so at $60 cost shouldn`t be an issue. Follow advice of the experts get the $60 sub, recoup the $60 in a day or two when the info is posted & enjoy GCU for 2 yrs.

You`re already on the site with the best people to get the $60 back fast anyways so over 2 yrs can`t lose.

Paypal does a Debt Card, you get 1% back on everything you spend.

There are other places to get Giftcards that accept Paypal. Your options are pretty limited on doing in store purchases using Paypal as the only source of funds.
I think you mean a DEBIT card, like a credit card/debit card/ATM card attached to your PayPal account.

Unless there is a game that costs $300, you aren't breaking even after one game. Do not count reward zone points you get back since you get that with or without the paid membership.

Unless there is a game that costs $300, you aren't breaking even after one game. Do not count reward zone points you get back since you get that with or without the paid membership.
Titanfall CE is $250 you`ll only get the full $60 amount back if GCU not free GC. The total # of games in this catagory is small I know but the statement is true. MBB pts have to be considered since there`s a significant boost on the front & back end which free members don`t get and will add up over 2 yrs becoming more important. Also, the effect MBB pts have on tax make BB credit more valuable.

Edit: Actually depending on tax $250 will cover the subs value $50 + tax + $5 2x base pts(400 MBB) = $55 plus what tax is saved, obviously since they offer $10 pre-order that was the time to buy.

Not directed at you(I know you get it)
Since this is a 2 yr offer every little bit has to be considered because it can add up quickly. If a person spends $1,000 on games in 2 yrs BB has a $140+ tax net advantage over all retailers from the start. And $140 over 2 yrs could be equal to 8+ games that you actually keep in your collection too much to be overlooked. Plus the $140 banked taken directly off of a system means a $200 black friday PS3 bundle would be $60 + tax, a PS4 $260, XB1 $260 post price cut, free 2DS, $60 3DS...

Are you counting the points you get from buying GCU or the points you get from buying the CE?

Free Gamers club and unlocked give you the same amount of points back.

Your math doesnt add up right.

120 =/= $5. I wouldn't include the points you get for buying the CE since you get those with or without membership.

You would get 498 points if buying the CE without gamers club unlocked, while you would get 398 points with the paid membership.

120 =/= $5. I wouldn't include the points you get for buying the CE since you get those with or without membership.

You would get 498 points if buying the CE without gamers club unlocked, while you would get 398 points with the paid membership.
Huh? You get more points without the paid?

The problem is people can`t make a decision when false info keeps getting spread
It's not just false info, but some people don't understand all the benefits of doing business with Best Buy. Someone could just mention the 20% off games and use that to measure whether it's worth it or not, but we know it is more complicated than that. Those of us who actually have GCU and buy a majority of our games from Best Buy know that, which is why we post and put the information out there.

Enuf probably takes advantage of every little thing Best Buy has to offer more than any other CAG, but you don't have to be that hardcore to get your money out of GCU. He just throws it all out there so you don't miss anything.

The 200 base MBB 2X is 400 + $60 sub adds another 120 MBB(60 x 2) for a total of 520 $10 vs $5

Overall it matters b/c you`d be comparing the same game purchased from 3 perspectives

Free GC-
1- the $50+ tax saved & extra $5 means GCU true cost falls to under $5 to jump from free to paid. You gotta be an idiot to think GCU isn`t worth ~$5 for 2 yrs if this was your 1st game.

GCU-
2- #1 is the reason why they would already be GCU so it`s just gravy from that point on

Any other retailer
3-No other retailer offered anywhere near $70 in value so really no argument can be made unless you loaded up with credit at the other place. But if they keep losing out on $50+ tax that credit advantage will.go away quite fast.

A normal $150 CE is $35 in value(not including the sub) $30 + tax off 300 MBB $5 credit so every 4 games elsewhere accounts for 5 with credit leftover @ BB. Head to head with GS you can use the cash savings to buy any exclusive DLC from their customers.

Enuf u probably know the answer to my previous post about getting credit adjustments on games that go on sale before you pick up the preorder...

You simply can not count the points you get when buying as a benefit because you get those points if you are free or paid member.

I think GCU is a great value if you spend a lot but you are trying to skew it to make it look like its better than it is.

Enuf u probably know the answer to my previous post about getting credit adjustments on games that go on sale before you pick up the preorder...
SHOULD BE automatic but this is BB system correct? Always double check.
I love BB b/c if your`re good there`s no other retailer that reward you spending loyalty better BUT their system SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.

Glitches aside I rather the system function correctly instead I`ll still double dip via YMMV price matches yielding great results. These often beat the 20% off anyways which is great for the titles that don`t come with credit.

You simply can not count the points you get when buying as a benefit because you get those points if you are free or paid member.

I think GCU is a great value if you spend a lot but you are trying to skew it to make it look like its better than it is.
you are incapable of understanding that you get MORE points with GCU aren't you?

He just throws it all out there so you don't miss anything.
So much more than that I consider CAG a community. I`ve saved/earned AT LEAST $10,000-$15,000(probably way more honestly) & I've promoted CAG to friends, family & strangers. Since this is real money it has to be respected. I feel indebted to CAG thus I try to give back as much as possible which is why I don`t hesitate to help any CAG even ones in this very thread who have been self proclaimed "BB haters". I`ll put in work on CAG or the BB forums since it really does affect the community.

No ego but,
I`ma ask a real qestion, if BestBuy partnered with CAG does anyone really think Bestbuy could provide a better rep than me? Do you see Bestbuy finding ANYONE who would push the brand better in regards to gaming? When it comes to promos/coupons/offers/system setup/innovation you name it hell to understand the customers mindset.

In all honesty, you guys would hate me as a rep b/c your wallet would never be safe you`d probably have to work part time at BB to pay for the games lol. But at least you`d know I`d be on the frontlines fighting to get the 10% issues fixed, faster MBB pts, more $10-$20 credits...I`m ambitious though I`d try to get the sub fee to $100/yr that way I can efficiently provide offers that would keep you guys from even clicking into a non GCU thread. But I`m CAG 1st so you know I`d have your back on promos to get that $100 back asap. I`d let the non informed customers pay $100 & cover the program while volume sales from CAG bolster other sales #`s.

There`s doubters for sure but my vision of $100/yr GCU will blow your minds & wallets. BestBuy currently can`t move units of GCU @ $120 now a litttle innovation would go along way.

Except you are not. How are you getting more points? You get 2x Points with the Free membership as well.
Don`t get too caught up on the pts free vs paid the basis of me pointing it out at all was in repsonse to the whole "can save the same amount by not buying the sub" nonsense.

So it`s GCU vs waiting not GC vs GCU if that`s the 1st game head to head a person profits on game 1 spending under $100+ tax less than the $300 quote that`s always stated.
If there was a "2 years of GCU for $10" thread CAG would glitch lol yes it`s not exactly the same but the principal is the same. If it was say a GTA5 $250 CE vs titanfall one that would also make a huge difference.

Although we may not see eye to eye the numbers are the numbers how a person chooses to interpret them is their choice. At least you understand all the variables but that can`t be said for some of the GCU newbies.

It's not a direct benefit of paying for GCU, but it is a benefit of spending money at Best Buy compared to another retailer, which you will be doing if you have GCU. You don't need GCU to get $10 certificates either, but these things are worth mentioning if you're trying to convince someone to commit $60 and spend most of their gaming funds at Best Buy instead of Amazon, Gamestop, Target, etc.

Insane how someone can actively try and point out ways to benefit from taking advantage of best buy (i.e. have six people in your family sign up for GCU memberships so that you can buy x6 more or trade in x6 more copies of games) and then talk like they are doing best buy a favor and should be an official rep. I just never understood how you can advocate for some of the shit you do and then post on the BB RZ forums like you genuinely care about their programs.

You do more harm then good because you promote behavior that most people can't pull off unless they dedicate their week to trolling around to six or seven different stores using six or seven different RZ/GCU accounts and doing all kinds of "YMMV" price matches under the premise of "I do a lot of business with BB so they should approve these so I don't go elsewhere" when really what you're saying is "I'm raping BB under the guise of being a good customer when really all I care about is me me me me"

I refuse to extend my GCU membership because as is I don't see BB continuing the program and I don't want the hassle of trying to get a prorated credit or tunneled into a new less beneficial program.

And then there are those of us who appreciate all your hard work and time spent on those forums to lobby for better deals. Whether you want those perks for yourself or not is irrelevant because they benefit all of us members. So thanks enuf!

@GAB:what makes you think best buy won't continue theprogram?

And then there are those of us who appreciate all your hard work and time spent on those forums to lobby for better deals. Whether you want those perks for yourself or not is irrelevant because they benefit all of us members. So thanks enuf!

@GAB:what makes you think best buy won't continue theprogram?
Because they have discontinued just about every program that was getting abused

1: Spend $150 on gaming items get a $10 RZ Cert

2: 45 day post purchase PM policy

3: $20 RZ certs for preordering (sans Wolfenstein)

This is just in the past 3 years---I'm sure there are others I can't remember. And honestly ask yourself how this program benefits BB? Now how ENUF tries to rationalize in his head that he is benefiting best buy---but how it actually benefits them. The only customers that they are truly making money off of are those that get suckered into buying a GCU membership with a console bundle and don't do much else in the way of buying items.

They certainly aren't making money of those who post regularly in these threads.

Well even if they discontinued it ours would be valid for at least the two years. When they stop people from buying it and take the bar codes off the shelves we will know it's dying.

Anyone care to explain to me how the points system works at Best Buy? Don't shop there often, but going to start now since I bought GCU membership.

250 points is equal to a $5 certificate which can be used on almost anything except gift cards.

You get 1 point per $1 spent, and 2 points per $1 spent on games. If you use a gift card to pay for the item then you don't get points on the amount paid with the gift card.

When trading in games you get 2 points for every $1 of games traded in. So a game with a $10 base value would get 20 points. When there is a bonus like this week with the 50% extra trade in bonus, you only get points on the base value and not the bonus amount.

Except you are not. How are you getting more points? You get 2x Points with the Free membership as well.
Here how about this.

If you have GCU you are more likely to buy your games from Best Buy since they're more likely going to have the best deal. Thus, you will end up recieving more points as a GCU member than as a non-member. A non-member might buy a $60 game on sale for $50 from other retailers. Where a GCU member would be getting it for $48, therefor they don't go to the othe retailer or bother with a price match.

So you can count the fact you'll more than likely end up with more points than if you never got a GCU membership.

Ah you need this to get points on console purchases? Didn't know that so that's why I didn't get points for my PS4 last year. Oh well I'll probably get this today or tomorrow. $12 for all new releases for 2 years is too tempting to pass up. I'm getting Destiny ($12), Smash Bros 3D ($8) Smash Bros U ($12) Hyrule Warriors ($12), Pokemon ($8), and TLOU Remastered ($12) so that's already $60+ in savings

Here how about this.

If you have GCU you are more likely to buy your games from Best Buy since they're more likely going to have the best deal. Thus, you will end up recieving more points as a GCU member than as a non-member. A non-member might buy a $60 game on sale for $50 from other retailers. Where a GCU member would be getting it for $48, therefor they don't go to the othe retailer or bother with a price match.

So you can count the fact you'll more than likely end up with more points than if you never got a GCU membership.
yep, thats skewing lol.

There's gonna be people who kick themselves for and for not having GCU. Sure you'll miss a error here and there and if you don't you're not locked in.

This weeks TRU very similar to GCU, buy watchdogs save 40% off another and that opportunity didn't cost $60.

bread's done
Back