Best Buy GCU is being Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came across this article.

http://www.newsweek.com/best-buy-gcu-program-ending-amazon-game-deals-struggling-935477

"While Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked has been beloved by its members for years, the program struggled to gain traction after game pre-order savings were also offered through competitive services like Amazon Prime. As Best Buy fights to maintain influence in the consumer electronics space outside of Black Friday, the death of GCU might be a sign of the times."

Yeah Steam is digital only. The last time I paid full price for a game on Steam was......I can't tell you because I honestly can't even remember. Maybe never? I don't pay full price for digital. I don't even buy new release digital games.
We're not the typical use case. Go on Steam the week after a AAA release drops and the top three spots on the Best Seller list will be New Game, New Game Deluxe Edition and New Game Premium Gold Edition. They didn't get there by people being afraid to buy full priced digital games. Numerous times I've had someone say "I'm going to have a week off so I went on Steam and bought Cities: Skylines!" and I'm thinking "Wait, you just paid full retail for Cities: Skylines? Dear, sweet child..." But these people are the bread & butter of Steam, not CAG goofballs demanding 66% off, saying "I'll wait for it to be in a Humble monthly" or combing a half dozen digital game stores for deals.

It's pretty painfully obvious this couldn't last. Hell, I even got a Best Buy credit card to get a huge chunk of extra rewards points at Best Buy. With that extra 5% off every game(5% in rewards ), stacking with the 20% off, they were i'd imagine 100% losing money on every single purchase.

I did buy a pretty nice high-end TV from them to compensate my profit leeching, but I was getting to Elite Plus status yearly just buying video games and consoles from them. Don't know if they made profit from me, but..

+1 for will never buy anything at Best Buy again after my GCU expires. Considered BB purcahses for electronics because reward zone certs softened the blow of some of their overpriced stuff. Bought a Washer and Dryer there, too.

No more though. BB is now irrelevant. Enjoy trying to sell your overpriced, stupid electronics as boomers die off and nobody is dumb enough to fall for your markups.

I just came across this article.

http://www.newsweek.com/best-buy-gcu-program-ending-amazon-game-deals-struggling-935477

"While Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked has been beloved by its members for years, the program struggled to gain traction after game pre-order savings were also offered through competitive services like Amazon Prime. As Best Buy fights to maintain influence in the consumer electronics space outside of Black Friday, the death of GCU might be a sign of the times."
that article makes it sound like publishers are putting pressure on retailers to end discounts on preorders that are hurting digital sales.

I must have unknowingly reupped this somehow because mine expires Aug 1, 2020.  Not sure how this happened

If they’re bleeding money on video games... I don’t see how they will continue to honor memberships that have yet to expire?

Looks like entry into Gamer's Club Unlocked is now... 

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
This will at least cease those who acted like GCU Superiority Members from insulting the non-believers from time to time. They'll have to go back to checking for regular sales, like the rest of us plebeians.

MAYBE this means the nintendo eshop and pSn store are where to shop and wait/hold off for deals

Every time i want a major title, its eventually $41 in the eshop or $25-40 for ps+ store (for $60 MSRP titles that is) so if that means waiting for the deal to come up, as we usually HAVE always done before this GCU/CAG going viral coincidence started, then i can wait...also more direct support for nintendo to have an incentive to increase their development and deals

As many have mentioneed we all have back logs, with a lot of other things to play, beat and do, a lot of which is jammed up because we would go crazy on must have prices and not really reazliing they werent must have games!

This will at least cease those who acted like GCU Superiority Members from insulting the non-believers from time to time. They'll have to go back to checking for regular sales, like the rest of us plebeians.
no, i'll still mention the money I saved over you.

Does not "reset to zero" when GCU ends. I will have always spent 20% less than you

I cannot express my displeasure enough.  I am asking my friends and family to boycott this company immediately until they revoke this decision and demand they replace this with a better program. This club made me feel like a valued customer and enhanced my loyalty to the brand. I felt like this retailer catered to my preferences, interests and supported our culture. When my house caught fire, I took some solace knowing that I would be able to go on a shopping spree at the local Best Buy and i had a fantastic experience.  Spent at least 30k as a direct result of the loyalty i felt from being part of the GCU.  Now as i look around at all of the stuff i have been enjoying, i cannot help but feel betrayed by this callous decision by management. I will not return the things I have purchased, but i will discontinue the use of the best buy credit card, revoke future purchases, take my business elsewhere, and ask you to do the same.  Don't wait until the expiry, stop the purchases now to send a clear message.  BestBuy needs to realize they are in a fight for existence and cannot afford to make mistakes like this. 

Game publishers need to get in on this because this does not just affect sales, but i don't feel like playing games at all right now.  If we can make Electronic Arts/Disney cancel lootboxes, we can do the same with BestBuy.

As trolley as that post is, it does have some good points under it all. Best Buys hate for physical media does hurt my loyalty. If they dont sell video games or blu-rays, Im probably not gonna shop at Best Buy ever again. Ill eventually go back to Amazon Prime. Do the game publishers really care if things went 100% digital? Id assume that alot of people on here would just wait on game sales thru Amazon,Walmart,Target, or pre-order using Prime.

RIP GCU, from magazine coupons, to GCU stacking with sale prices, to all the $10/20 reward certs for pre-orders, and all the crazy fucking glitches, it was a great run. Im still good thru 2020 so wtf, Ill take a $100 reward cert as compensation for canceling early.

As trolley as that post is, it does have some good points under it all. Best Buys hate for physical media does hurt my loyalty. If they dont sell video games or blu-rays, Im probably not gonna shop at Best Buy ever again. Ill eventually go back to Amazon Prime. Do the game publishers really care if things went 100% digital?
Game publishers want it to be 100% digital, they save money on manufacturing and distributing cost along with killing the used game market.

ColorfulFreeChinesecrocodilelizard-size_restricted.gif

Id assume that alot of people on here would just wait on game sales thru Amazon,Walmart,Target, or pre-order using Prime.
This. When GCU ends for me, it's Deep sale, used, and the rare pre order.

And we all know that Amazon's pre order discount is gone... I'm betting it will go away as soon as BB clarifies what is going to happen. Either a "new" program to replace GCU, or complete abandonment of GCU and anything like it.

Amazon won't remove the pre order discount until they know what BB is ultimately doing. Could you imagine if Amazon dropped it... and the next day BB announced GCU 2.0? Amazon would have to immediately revert the change to save face.

I cannot express my displeasure enough. I am asking my friends and family to boycott this company immediately until they revoke this decision and demand they replace this with a better program. This club made me feel like a valued customer and enhanced my loyalty to the brand. I felt like this retailer catered to my preferences, interests and supported our culture. When my house caught fire, I took some solace knowing that I would be able to go on a shopping spree at the local Best Buy and i had a fantastic experience. Spent at least 30k as a direct result of the loyalty i felt from being part of the GCU. Now as i look around at all of the stuff i have been enjoying, i cannot help but feel betrayed by this callous decision by management. I will not return the things I have purchased, but i will discontinue the use of the best buy credit card, revoke future purchases, take my business elsewhere, and ask you to do the same. Don't wait until the expiry, stop the purchases now to send a clear message. BestBuy needs to realize they are in a fight for existence and cannot afford to make mistakes like this.

Game publishers need to get in on this because this does not just affect sales, but i don't feel like playing games at all right now. If we can make Electronic Arts/Disney cancel lootboxes, we can do the same with BestBuy.
So, you spent at least 30k due to being a part of GCU? So, let's say all of that money was spent on brand new games. With the discount, you're paying like $48 per game before tax. That's 625 games on average and with the $12 discount on each game, assuming they were all full price $60 games, you saved $7,500. Now ask yourself, how much money did Best Buy LOSE due to your business? Coming in and buying a bunch of games at a discount isn't making them money.

Now before someone says "but I bought a TV there once!" Great. Now, let's compare everyone who had GCU and their spending habits at Best Buy. I'm going to guess a good majority only really bought games or gaming products with the occasional movie purchase. Not exactly a good trend as I'd guess the company hoped GCU would bring in people to buy not only the occasional game, but other non-gaming stuff as well. If the majority of people are just coming in to get a $12 discount on an item with an already low profit margin for the company without buying anything else, pretty soon the company is going to notice a pattern and go "Well, this clearly isn't working like we hoped."

Some people here apparently aren't smart enough to realize that they don't give a rat's ass about your business if the only business you're doing with them is actually costing them money in the long run. Even if you were one of those that actually did a lot of non-game related shopping there, just be glad you got in on some good deals with GCU over the years and this lasted as long as it did.

We're not the typical use case. Go on Steam the week after a AAA release drops and the top three spots on the Best Seller list will be New Game, New Game Deluxe Edition and New Game Premium Gold Edition. They didn't get there by people being afraid to buy full priced digital games. Numerous times I've had someone say "I'm going to have a week off so I went on Steam and bought Cities: Skylines!" and I'm thinking "Wait, you just paid full retail for Cities: Skylines? Dear, sweet child..." But these people are the bread & butter of Steam, not CAG goofballs demanding 66% off, saying "I'll wait for it to be in a Humble monthly" or combing a half dozen digital game stores for deals.
I'm well aware. But the PC market is not representative of the whole, and is in fact a small segment of total sales. Sure those top notch new releases sell well on Steam. But the vast majority of people are also choosing to buy them elsewhere on other platforms. PC gaming is a niche; it's not a leading example.

Nov 7, 2017 https://www.pcgamer.com/grand-theft-auto-5-is-the-best-selling-videogame-of-all-time-in-the-us/

"Grand Theft Auto V has now sold in more than 85 million units," the report says. "According to The NPD Group, Grand Theft Auto V is now the all-time best-selling video game, both in revenues and units, based on combined U.S. digital and physical sales across PC, console and portable."

"Steamspy indicates that Steam owners account for about ten percent of that figure, which is an awful lot but still a relatively small slice of the multiplatform pie."

Brb creating a cars and coffee like Facebook account for local GCU survivors meetup to share memberships

PS- how much money does Best Buy lose by you not buying those games for $48 and spending it for the same price at amazon instead? Furthermore how much does Best Buy lose when those games inevitably go on sale for $39 6 weeks after launch? Better to get $48 plus your $30 every couple of years than them sitting on the shelf until they’re clearanced at $19-29

I'm not arguing for some supremacy of PC sales, etc. I'm just saying that most people won't respond to a digital-only game world by not buying Day One games or only buying on deep discounts, etc. You and I might do that but most people won't.

Back in 2016 I bought Forza Horizon 3 and a GCU membership. I went to return the game and the CS lady refunded the hold transaction including my GCU membership by mistake. It says in the fine print that GCU memberships are non-refundable, so I guess the computer automatically gave me an extra 2 years. I am good until 2020.

I cannot express my displeasure enough. I am asking my friends and family to boycott this company immediately until they revoke this decision and demand they replace this with a better program. This club made me feel like a valued customer and enhanced my loyalty to the brand. I felt like this retailer catered to my preferences, interests and supported our culture. When my house caught fire, I took some solace knowing that I would be able to go on a shopping spree at the local Best Buy and i had a fantastic experience. Spent at least 30k as a direct result of the loyalty i felt from being part of the GCU. Now as i look around at all of the stuff i have been enjoying, i cannot help but feel betrayed by this callous decision by management. I will not return the things I have purchased, but i will discontinue the use of the best buy credit card, revoke future purchases, take my business elsewhere, and ask you to do the same. Don't wait until the expiry, stop the purchases now to send a clear message. BestBuy needs to realize they are in a fight for existence and cannot afford to make mistakes like this.

Game publishers need to get in on this because this does not just affect sales, but i don't feel like playing games at all right now. If we can make Electronic Arts/Disney cancel lootboxes, we can do the same with BestBuy.
Best Buy doesn’t owe you anything, cupcake. Nice of you to not return the stuff you already bought though, lmao.

From a strictly bookkeeping perspective, I do not believe that they will honor the discount after the program ends. It would be assumed that there will be a year end closure of this account with a write off transferring to another account to reimburse those with additional time left. Most likely the reimbursement would be BB gift certificates. Again, strictly from a bookkeeper perspective and most importantly that’s what I would assume AT THIS TIME ;-)

I'm not arguing for some supremacy of PC sales, etc. I'm just saying that most people won't respond to a digital-only game world by not buying Day One games or only buying on deep discounts, etc. You and I might do that but most people won't.
Yeah, that's mostly true. Once the all-digital future arrives then yeah, people will be buying their new releases digitally. But I strongly think we're still a long ways off until that happens. The American ISP situation is a mess. Fully digital console libraries don't have much of a chance to happen until one of the major players decides to exit the console market. The competition has been ideal for us as consumers.

The announcement of a standard PS5 is an inevitability (probably next summer). The main thing to pay attention to is whatever plans Microsoft reveals for their future console, or lack thereof. That would be the potential turning point.

The only way that changes is if Sony comes out guns blazing announcing that they removed their disc drive in order to provide components with higher graphical capability, which is highly unlikely. They would have to have gotten wind of MS discontinuing the race in order for that to happen. More likely, is that that PS5 will have a 4K UHD readable disc drive included. After all, Sony is in the business of developing and publishing movies too. Their games are now also taking advantage of both UHD graphics and displays, as well.

I also wonder if there's not going to be some kind of collusion among developers and console makers to raise AAA game pricing from $60 to ~$80 in order to combat the unhealthy DLC practices. This seems long overdue to me. I don't think what's going on with the current Destiny 2 PC model (buy just the base game for $10-20) is really working out for anyone. Contrary to some people's beliefs, everything is NOT headed towards the completely F2P w/paid unlockables model. The moment that happens is when people stop paying for games entirely. Development studios and publishers need to find a better way to properly monetize sales for their nine-figure investments.

I'm sure ridiculous highlighted font tells them how seriously they should take you.

Not very.

PS- how much money does Best Buy lose by you not buying those games for $48 and spending it for the same price at amazon instead? Furthermore how much does Best Buy lose when those games inevitably go on sale for $39 6 weeks after launch? Better to get $48 plus your $30 every couple of years than them sitting on the shelf until they’re clearanced at $19-29
The answer to your first question might be $0 once they factor in the inventory cost of buying the game from the publisher plus shipping, it might actually be less than $0. When games go on sale, that is usually the publisher authorizing the sale and giving money back to the retailer to make up for the sale price.

Now ask yourself, how much money did Best Buy LOSE due to your business?
We don't really know what Best Buy paid for the games they were selling at 20% discount to GCU members. So it's speculative to say they lost money on those sales. I tend to think they still made money and they got bigger discounts than we thought. I think this is more related to the lack of competition in the market at this time and Best Buy going for more profit than having no profit in the program. Amazon prime just upped their prime price and some games aren't eligible for their 20% preorder discount and it's only on preorders now. Toys R Us is out of business. The market for games is Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, and Amazon now with GCU probably being the best rewards program among them. So they think they simply don't have to offer as good of a deal to get your business.

Not withstanding it's kind of funny all the personal angst on this thread. Reality for me is it will probably save me money. As I've been pre-ordering many more games that I ever did before because I figure 20% is good enough. Whereas before GCU, I'd generally wait until a game hit sub $40. The other reality is I buy like $500 a year in games. So worst case scenario this costs me $100 more than before. I mean, yeah I'd like to save that $100, but I'm not going to waste more of my time and try to start a boycott because my benefits went down. And like most people here I generally didn't have more loyalty to Best Buy. If a game was on sale at Amazon cheaper than BB + GCU, I bought it from Amazon. Yeah, I get BB would match, but it wasn't worth my time to go into a store or call them to get that match to occur since they wouldn't match + GCU.

hard drive space is a factor because of download speed and caps. If you had unlimited hard drive space you wouldn't need to download it again, but since you don't have unlimited space you have to download it again if you want to delete it to save room and then play it again.

If you have it physically you can play it if the download servers go down.
Go disconnect your console from the internet, and take any physical third party game from EA, Ubisoft, or Activision and install it without the day 1 update and let me know what kind of experience you have. These days, you are basically buying a DRM disc, the game on the disc is substantially worse.

I forgot that the consoles come with only 500gb/1tb drives. I put in a 2tb and rarely need to uninstall/reinstall an old game. Then again, I'm primarily a PC gamer, so my console collection isn't that large this gen. That's a good point and I can agree that physical will probably stick around as long as data caps do (almost has me rooting for data caps lmao).

I honestly won't be surprised if they cancel the program outright sometime this year or next, TOS say they can do it any time they want
I was actually just being an A-Rod...I'm signed up thru this December. Programs come and programs go...

Best Buy doesn’t owe you anything, cupcake. Nice of you to not return the stuff you already bought though, lmao.
His overly-dramatic comments and weird highlighting aside - Best Buy does owe him something, 20% off video games for the period in which his subscription terms were set when he paid for it. They are well within their rights to stop selling the membership, but their terms make it pretty clear that they cannot simply decide to not honor it. There is a little wishy-washiness in the wording with some "harmful to its interests or another customer" stuff, but if they start cancelling people outright ahead of expiration dates, they will be inviting a pretty slam dunk class action suit.

Yeah its ending, and there is no reason to be overly dramatic about it - it was great while it lasted. I'll definitely be looking more at other options once mine expires, this GCU pretty much guaranteed they were my first choice when looking to get or pre-order a game, but that will change. They have clearly run the numbers and figured out being the first stop for gaming was not covering the margin of the discounts. That's just business.

A company that is Amazon’s punching bag is complaining about lost revenue due to GCU. Make better decisions as a company relative to your competition or become another Sears/Kmart. No one should feel sorry for Best Buy. They brought this on themselves just like TRU did.

Just now canceling GCU?

Tells us all we need to know about this company. Glad I didn’t renew mine when it expired. Amazing foresight on my part.

Go disconnect your console from the internet, and take any physical third party game from EA, Ubisoft, or Activision and install it without the day 1 update and let me know what kind of experience you have. These days, you are basically buying a DRM disc, the game on the disc is substantially worse.
This is exaggerated.

I am primarily offline at all times. I only allow Internet connection when I feel like syncing trophies.

Games function fine without any Day 1 patch, and I know because I am playing them without it. In fact, I prefer it this way, because sometimes patches fix exploits I enjoy. I always read patch notes before updating, and read impressions to check for changes or if anything is broken because of an update. The last game I played Kingdom Come Deliverance, for example, had a high-level chest you could find pre-patch, which they fixed post 1.02.

It always seems to be the ones fear-mongering about how "crippled" games are without Day 1 patches, are the ones that don't actually play game without them, and try to perpetuate some idea that games are completely inert without them. Please provide examples of poor game experiences without a Day 1 patch, that are "substantially worse".

Publishers would never release games in a terrible state as-is on disc, knowing that review copies are provides weeks before any Day 1 patch. They would risk getting low review scores, lower sales, and terrible first impressions.

I honestly won't be surprised if they cancel the program outright sometime this year or next, TOS say they can do it any time they want
Not really. They say they can modify or terminate it at any time, which means they can do what they are doing now and stop offering it for sale. But if they start ending memberships, that's going to be a class action lawsuit and some serious bad blood with customers. What they can do maybe is limit the deals, maybe cut back on when you can use it (no sales, etc.) or what you can use it on. Sure they will have some on the hook for quite a while, but until 2020 and the number of active members decreases to a point where they can be contained I'd say they just go ahead with it as it is. They have almost certainly done the math on phasing it out over two years (which is most people, I'm sure - I doubt many have it stacked out for a decade, most just re-up when it gets close to running out) and the negative PR involved. Simply letting people expire out is the easiest and most trouble free way of ridding themselves of the program.

Not really. They say they can modify or terminate it at any time, which means they can do what they are doing now and stop offering it for sale. But if they start ending memberships, that's going to be a class action lawsuit and some serious bad blood with customers.
Eh, they'll just give a pro-rated refund. The customer has no valid claim of "damages" at that point and it's done. You think this is the first time a company has ended a subscription style service?

I have never connected my PS4 to the internet and all of my 107 games (including many from EA and Ubisoft and a few from Activision) work just fine without any patches.

Anyone who thinks most games are broken if you don't download patches hasn't tried playing games without them.

Whatever replaces the current program will not be an improvement ... never is. Relaunched reward programs are always gimped for the consumer.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
I tend to agree, nothing will ever stack up to 20%. That was really a holy grail of discounts but I'm hopeful there will be something comparable, if anything at all. At least BB saved me hundreds, if not thousands by now.

This is exaggerated.

I am primarily offline at all times. I only allow Internet connection when I feel like syncing trophies.

Games function fine without any Day 1 patch, and I know because I am playing them without it. In fact, I prefer it this way, because sometimes patches fix exploits I enjoy. I always read patch notes before updating, and read impressions to check for changes or if anything is broken because of an update. The last game I played Kingdom Come Deliverance, for example, had a high-level chest you could find pre-patch, which they fixed post 1.02.

It always seems to be the ones fear-mongering about how "crippled" games are without Day 1 patches, are the ones that don't actually play game without them, and try to perpetuate some idea that games are completely inert without them. Please provide examples of poor game experiences without a Day 1 patch, that are "substantially worse".

Publishers would never release games in a terrible state as-is on disc, knowing that review copies are provides weeks before any Day 1 patch. They would risk getting low review scores, lower sales, and terrible first impressions.
Well Kingdom Come Deliverance is ironically the perfect example, and if you think that game is fine without, at minimum, the day 1 patch, then your standards are well below mine. That game is far from where it should be, even today. That's fine if you don't mind the issues when playing unpatched, I don't mean it in a bad way. My goal is to make the argument that physical media is nearly useless for a quality experience, not to convince someone that the code is *literally unplayable* on the disc. Sorry if my wording before didn't make that clear. My ultimate point is that for the best experience in the future when the servers are shut down, you'll need a hacked console where you can apply patches from an external source (in which case you could probably just pirate the entire game and make it easier on yourself), or you'd play it on PC where it isn't a problem (keeping in mind that 10-15 years from now these games will probably run great on integrated graphics/sub-$100 GPUs).

I'm also not arguing that this affects all games. There are certainly examples of games that are perfectly fine without any patches. Most Japanese releases and exclusive games are fine with what's on the disc. That said, seems like a whole lot of reviews tend to brush aside game issues saying they don't have the day 1 patch.

BestBuy won't even exist by 2028 :( I got my moneys worth though, practically free gaming since the program started. I honestly felt guilty at times with some of the deals I've gotten (price matching with the visa checkout promo). Sad to see it go but I knew it was coming. I'm good until Nov 2019 so there's plenty of time to secure current and future pre-orders. Question is, will BestBuy be around long enough for them to release.

I'm also not arguing that this affects all games. There are certainly examples of games that are perfectly fine without any patches. Most Japanese releases and exclusive games are fine with what's on the disc. That said, seems like a whole lot of reviews tend to brush aside game issues saying they don't have the day 1 patch.
You seem to be arguing that it affects most games. There are obviously bad games released on disc and some of them are made better through patches but it most certainly isn't the majority.

Any publisher who cares about their games would never release a game on disc with major problems. Therefore a very small percentage of quality games will ever be significantly improved by patches.

Well Kingdom Come Deliverance is ironically the perfect example, and if you think that game is fine without, at minimum, the day 1 patch, then your standards are well below mine. That game is far from where it should be, even today.
So you're saying that Kingdom Come Deliverance without patches is bad but Kingdom Come Deliverance with patches is... still bad? You've really proven your point there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back