Best Buy has 453 copies of Dragon Quest V in their main warehouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendonly

CAGiversary!
I didn't know where else to post this, but apparently, after doing plenty of digging and searching (and researching), I have found out that Best Buy has 453 copies of this very rare bugger in their main warehouse.

However, Best Buy employees are unable to order them for their stores for whatever reason. No, I do not work for BB, but I was able to get a kind enough employee to look it up for me (make it, many kind employees). Rumor has it that the Best Buy in Buffalo, NY has 132 copies on order, perhaps for a special of some kind. Whether or not this is a typo in their system, nobody knows. The game has been NRPL/DEL/NR since its original release, and many Best Buys no longer have it in their systems. Square-Enix apparently wanted to keep it cool this time and threw very minimal stock in the playing field after seeing how much of a flop DQIV and Chrono Trigger were (in terms of sales). Oh, as for the info on this game:

Model: 90826
SKU: 9196309
UPC: 662248908267

People have been selling it for ~$70 new/sealed on eBay. If any of you can find a Best Buy that has it or can order it (or, if you can convince BestBuy.com to relinquish their stash), expect to pay ~$14.99-$39.99, which believe me, is a wicked good deal. As soon as this stock has been cleaned out, that's it; no more un-germified copies.

I'm still looking for the game.

I want to get my hands on a copy. Subscribed to the thread. If anyone can find a copy and wants to help out a fellow CAG, I'd be very appreciative.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='seanr1221']Is this that hard to find? There's a bunch of GameStops near me that have it new.[/QUOTE]

That's bullshit and you know it. Gamestop guts copies and posts them as new, hence why using their store locator function on their website is highly inaccurate.

[quote name='Nintendonly']That's bullshit and you know it. Gamestop guts copies and posts them as new, hence why using their store locator function on their website is highly inaccurate.[/QUOTE]

lol. AND YOU KNOW IT, JERK!

Some stores will have stock that cannot be found, and they just never get around to doing whatever needs to be done to zero it out.

[quote name='seanr1221']Well..there's two right near a couple of my client's houses and 4 in Philly.

I'm sure I could find one sealed.[/QUOTE]

No. You will not. Try as you might, all brand new copies have been sold bar the ones stuck in limbo in warehouses.

As an FYI, your best bet to find this game still new is at a retailer located near New Orleans. I'm sorry, but you'd have to be racist to understand why. (hint: a sealed copy of TLoZ:ALttP for SNES was found at a Kmart in Olneyville in the year 2002, so put that in your pipe and smoke it:booty:)

[quote name='seanr1221']Well..there's two right near a couple of my client's houses and 4 in Philly.

I'm sure I could find one sealed.[/QUOTE]

Good luck.. every single time I've gone to buy a rare or hard to find "new" game at GS, it's been gutted.

Once I asked for an unopened copy of Chrono Trigger DS (during the Gamedays sale), and a guy there said they didn't have any but said he'd check the back. He came back with and claimed to have found a new one... problem was, as soon as I saw it, I could see the price tag under the seal. He took the gutted copy to the back and re-sealed it.:roll:

[quote name='BigPopov']Some stores will have stock that cannot be found, and they just never get around to doing whatever needs to be done to zero it out.[/QUOTE]

Very true. The online tracker is especially bad in this way. My local stores NEVER seem to update their actual stock if they can't find the game. Finding sealed DS games at GS seems to be especially hard to do.

"That's bullshit and you know it"
Oh my! I don't quite get why you're flipping out so much over this...

Anyways, this sounds interesting and all, but if there's no way we can get to them, and this possible sale is just speculation, I don't think this belongs in the deals section.

Also, I just checked completed listings on ebay, and it seems more to fall in the range of $40-50

[quote name='Nintendonly']No. You will not. Try as you might, all brand new copies have been sold bar the ones stuck in limbo in warehouses.

As an FYI, your best bet to find this game still new is at a retailer located near New Orleans. I'm sorry, but you'd have to be racist to understand why. (hint: a sealed copy of TLoZ:ALttP for SNES was found at a Kmart in Olneyville in the year 2002, so put that in your pipe and smoke it:booty:)[/QUOTE]

My Kmart had 2 or 3, within the last 3 weeks. So they do exist in the wild, just not common. I think I may actually bite on it next time I go.

[quote name='eastshore4']Oh my! I don't quite get why you're flipping out so much over this...[/quote]

"Rare game", "Gamestop", and "New" don't work. Ever. And CAG regs know that.

[quote name='eastshore4']Anyways, this sounds interesting and all, but if there's no way we can get to them, and this possible sale is just speculation, I don't think this belongs in the deals section.[/quote]

Hence my first sentence of this entire thread.

[quote name='eastshore4']Also, I just checked completed listings on ebay, and it seems more to fall in the range of $40-50[/QUOTE]

As for sealed, the minimum price currently available on eBay is $56.99.

Best Buy last had them in the $14.99 "Easter Bin". I don't think that those games are individually identifiable on the system, but all come up the same. Not sure the public will ever see these.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Best Buy last had them in the $14.99 "Easter Bin". I don't think that those games are individually identifiable on the system, but all come up the same. Not sure the public will ever see these.[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes. Walmart does that too. They put a separate sticky-able UPC over the original UPC with a separate inventory to indicate a temporary sale price. However, if it is a seasonal item, as you've indicated, they go right back to the warehouse once the temporary sale is over (ie, "Black Friday"). I wouldn't put it past them to give all of those copies back their original UPCs, hence the "453 copies" dormant in Unknownsville.

[quote name='Nintendonly']
As for sealed, the minimum price currently available on eBay is $56.99.[/QUOTE]

Check the completed listings. The buy it now copies that are available are available for a reason (the prices are almost always ridiculous). New copies SELL for around $40-$45 usually. A few have gone for more (>$50) but most around $45.

[quote name='docvinh']I'm going to check out my local stores just to see if they have it, but even if they do, I think I'm going to pass since it's 40 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Tell them to check district stores as well. If they have any copies, hit me up with their where-abouts.

FYI, I'm a New Englander, so I'll hit you guys up for anything you are looking for as well. My local Wally World (Seekonk, MA) has several Baten Kaitos Origins copies new :)

[quote name='Nintendonly']Ah, yes. Walmart does that too. They put a separate sticky-able UPC over the original UPC with a separate inventory to indicate a temporary sale price. However, if it is a seasonal item, as you've indicated, they go right back to the warehouse once the temporary sale is over (ie, "Black Friday"). I wouldn't put it past them to give all of those copies back their original UPCs, hence the "453 copies" dormant in Unknownsville.[/QUOTE]
In this case, I don't think so, the "Easter Bins" are still active. If you can call it that since no one is buying whats left. At least they are here. I just visited 4 Best Buys and 3 of them still had the bins. So in this case, I don't think anything was returned to the warehouse.

[quote name='sabanoo']Check the completed listings. The buy it now copies that are available are available for a reason (the prices are almost always ridiculous). New copies SELL for around $40-$45 usually. A few have gone for more (>$50) but most around $45.[/QUOTE]

Completed listings don't mean a thing because the rarity of the product in question increases as time progresses. I'm looking at what's available now. Nice try, though.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']In this case, I don't think so, the "Easter Bins" are still active. If you can call it that since no one is buying whats left. At least they are here. I just visited 4 Best Buys and 3 of them still had the bins. So in this case, I don't think anything was returned to the warehouse.[/QUOTE]

Any of them with Dragon Quest V, by any chance? That can tell us what that other inventory number is.

Completed listings are very important, because if the product does not actually sell, it is not worth what the seller is asking.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Any of them with Dragon Quest V, by any chance? That can tell us what that other inventory number is.[/QUOTE]
HaHa! You think I was not looking for them? They are long gone from my area. I have one I bought previously tho'. the sticker UPC is 696055166299. This of course may be the same UPC for all DS games in the bin.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Completed listings are very important, because if the product does not actually sell, it is not worth what the seller is asking.[/QUOTE]

I know that, which is why eBay is currently not the place to buy from. Best Buy is what we are looking at as the current "best deal".

[quote name='PapaSmerf']This of course may be the same UPC for all DS games in the bin.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. Despite all of them being in an Easter Dump bin, they still have separate inventories.

[quote name='Nintendonly']I know that, which is why eBay is currently not the place to buy from. Best Buy is what we are looking at as the current "best deal".[/QUOTE]

No, the point is these things don't sell for much more than retail.

Therefore, they aren't THAT hard to come by.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Completed listings don't mean a thing because the rarity of the product in question increases as time progresses. I'm looking at what's available now. Nice try, though.[/QUOTE]

Actually, completed listings are the only somewhat accurate way to gauge the current market value of an item. A completed listing from two days ago says significantly more than a listed price an hour ago.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Completed listings are very important, because if the product does not actually sell, it is not worth what the seller is asking.[/QUOTE]

This. It's only worth what people are willing to pay for it. "Buy it now" means nothing.

A Toys R Us in Brookfield, Wisconsin has about eight or nine copies brand new for thirty dollars. I sure lucked out getting one at twenty bucks a year ago at BB.

[quote name='DKRobbie']A Toys R Us in Brookfield, Wisconsin has about eight or nine copies brand new for thirty dollars. I sure lucked out getting one at twenty bucks a year ago at BB.[/QUOTE]

Zip code please? I'm going to try to have them shipped to a local Toys R Us (probably not possible, but worth a shot).

NM, here is the Wisconsin TRU info:

TOYS"R"US/KIDSRUS - BROOKFIELD [6037]
355 SOUTH MOORELAND ROA
BROOKFIELD, WI 53005
Phone: (262)797-8577
Hours:
Sun 10:00am-7:00pm
Mon-Thu 10:00am-9:00pm
Fri 10:00am-10:00pm
Sat 9:00am-9:00pm
Get Directions

I will give them a call sometime tomorrow as they are currently closed. Damn, I thought Central time was 1.5 hours apart.

Why are you posting the address if you're just going to try and have them all shipped over to your local TRU?

[quote name='seanr1221']No, the point is these things don't sell for much more than retail.

Therefore, they aren't THAT hard to come by.[/QUOTE]

I agree with u guys.. yea and it looks as most are selling $40-$50 range. That's why I didn't buy it yesterday at TRU...they had quite a few copies. I don't think I'd get much of a flip with shipping it out since it was priced at $39.99. Maybe if they had one of those b1g1 50% off deals going on......And I've seen this game a few times elsewhere...but I live in a fairly large city.

I don't even know if ebay is a good sign of potential value down the road... DQ IX just released, which might be having a temporary effect on the DQV's price.

i should have gotten one when they had it in stock awhile back. Hopefully they let some out for their budget bins.

[quote name='eastshore4']Why are you posting the address if you're just going to try and have them all shipped over to your local TRU?[/QUOTE]

OP is probably just a kid overblowing the rarity of this game.

I mean...he did think the time zone difference was one and a half hours...

The selling price has increased from low $30's to $50's in the last few weeks. That is a pretty nice jump. I may have to sell the copy I saved for myself and just hope to find an affordable playable copy down the road. I have not been able to find the game locally including TRU, so it is indeed rare here.

The price increased due to the recent release of DQIX, with some people wanting to catch up with the series.

[quote name='Nintendonly']That's bullshit and you know it. Gamestop guts copies and posts them as new, hence why using their store locator function on their website is highly inaccurate.[/QUOTE]

How is it not new, simply because it's gutted?

this game is far from rare.. we had a ton at my Game Crazy store before we closed and I see it all the time around town at different stores..

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back