Best Buy = Helpful? What!?!

levanjm

CAGiversary!
Hi all,

BB has gotten a lot of flack for their customer service, and rightly so in many cases. However, I thought I would give them props for a recent transaction.

I purchased the Toshiba HD-A3 in November and sent off for the 5 free HD-DVD's. A couple of weeks later, I saw the unit for a cheaper price and had the price adjusted. Apparently this violated the terms of the agreement for the free DVD's. I don't know why, but I noticed it a couple of months later when I still had no DVD's.

I went online to check the status of the rebate, and when I checked it, the system said that I was not going to get the DVD's. I collected my receipts, and at the bottom of the receipt with the adjusted price, there was a line printed out that said the rebate was now invalid. I am not sure why Toshiba (not BB) would cancel the rebate for a cheaper price, so I went to my local BB to see what had happened.

The manager on duty was very kind. She tried to re-ring the receipt so I could send in the forms again, but I needed the UPC from the box. She tried to enter the rebate online, but the same problem arose. She eventually just looked at me, apologized, and said I could go pick out 5 HD-DVD's to take with me.

Needless to say, I was floored. I went out, found 5, and left a happy man.

Just thought I would post some good news.

You...Are...So....Lucky!!!!! You get to pick 5 free DVDs for your own in not on a list!!!!!!!!! I'm so jealous...again

yeah, real lucky dude... I have 3 of those 5 free I wanna sell or bring back somewhere for store credit... props!

Im sure the person who did the price match just did it wrong. When i bought my 360 Hd player the only sale was the 5 free HDs. And the next week they where giving out out Heros Hd with the Hd player. So i did the price match stuff and they gace me Heros. But they had to Return my previous player on the reciepte and ring it up again. Which made my first purchase void from the free dvds so i just resummited the form with the new one and they came :) :bouncy:

Myminicity :hot:

wow, your best buy's probably my best buy.

well, for the most part. people are usually helpful, plus this one dude that's been working there for years already know me cause im a regular. everytime i see him we give each other our usual nod.

BB is totally dependant on the store that you go to for great customer service. BB managers can choose to stick with a policy or help out the customer if they see fit to help. The BB around my house is great, managers always willing to work with me, but I went to another BB before and the manager there was a total asshole and wouldnt help me out, so it totally depends on which BB you go to.

The associate will get in trouble as what they did was completly against company policy. Dont get use to it since that person will not be around long

[quote name='LanceJr']The associate will get in trouble as what they did was completly against company policy. Dont get use to it since that person will not be around long[/quote]

Maybe so, but they'll still be around longer than HD-DVD.

She's a manager so I doubt she'll get in much trouble.

Question though, why wouldn't you just send in the original receipt, or a copy, showing you bought the HD-DVD player? I'm just not getting how Toshiba knew you price adjusted?

[quote name='mitch079']
Question though, why wouldn't you just send in the original receipt, or a copy, showing you bought the HD-DVD player? I'm just not getting how Toshiba knew you price adjusted?[/quote]

This is my question also.

This is about the nicest thing BB has ever done. Consider yourself the luckiest BB shopper ever... That is really awesome

Everyone bags on Best Buy but they have always been helpful to me and I shop there at least 3 times a month...

Not to flame or otherwise be a dick, but why go out and get an HD player when its all but dead?

[quote name='Kayden']Not to flame or otherwise be a dick, but why go out and get an HD player when its all but dead?[/quote]

Well, it's all how you look at it...

I personally, at this time if I had neither, would buy both if I could afford it...

Obviously, if you wanna go with one, you should go Blu.

But this guy bought the HD player before the Warner decision anyway...

[quote name='Kayden']Not to flame or otherwise be a dick, but why go out and get an HD player when its all but dead?[/quote] Not to be a dick... but if you read his post... he bought it in November 2007. The warner announcement was the 2nd (approx.) of January 2008 just before CES. Clearly he can't return it with out the bar code on the box... and if all else fails with their new price point they make excellent up converting DVD players... with an added bonus. Also... if this is truely the end of HD DVD... it will be an opportunity to obtain HD movies for pennies on the dollar when the final nail hits the proverbial coffin.

For the record... I am a card carrying member for the HD DVD camp. I have both but choose HD DVD over BLU RAY any day. I feel sorry for all of the poor saps that bought stand alone set top Blu Ray players... there is something that will be an expensive paper weight after, not to be a dick, whenever Blu Ray gets their head out of their ass and finalize their equipment and authoring standards. Which, by the way, is not backwards compatible (unless you have a PS3).

I got a story for you.

I ordered two Eye of Judgement Theme decks online from BBonline. I got this email a week after my order:

"Your return details are listed below.
Our records indicate that this item was returned because you no longer needed the item."

Thank you bbonline. You know exactly what I need. The tracking number on the shipment was never activated and the order was refunded....except $12.48. That amount isn't equal to shipping or anything. Its a random number. I had to call customer service.

-joseph

I've always found BB staff by me to be helpful. I don't know why everyone rags on them so hard; most of the stuff is reasonbly priced (in comparision to B&M stores), and some of their sales are better than anything.

Once I bought some PC memory from BB that was a good deal after rebate but I got a notice saying the rebate was denied because it was the wrong type. Took my receipt and the copies of what I sent in for the rebate to the BB that I purchased it at and they gave me store credit equal to the rebate amount. I was very pleased with the deal. I have actually had very few bad experiances at BB.

[quote name='Squarehard']BB is totally dependant on the store that you go to for great customer service. BB managers can choose to stick with a policy or help out the customer if they see fit to help. The BB around my house is great, managers always willing to work with me, but I went to another BB before and the manager there was a total asshole and wouldnt help me out, so it totally depends on which BB you go to.[/QUOTE]

You're exactly right. Company performance starts from the top down. A bad manager will breed bad employees that are powerless and apathetic. A good manager will give employees the power to make decisions and give good customer service. My local BB has been great from a customer service standpoint.

My local BB is nothing but a bunch of dicks. In all the years of shopping there I can count on 1 hand the number of times some one has actually been helpful and I usually had to wait a good 45 minutes for that person to get around to helping me. The customer service line at my BB never has fewer than 5 people in it. The CS desk employees are so slow and would rather BS amongst themselves than move their ass to clear the line a little faster. The employees on the floor are even worse, I wouldn't trust them to answer the question of what planet are we on without either getting it wrong or lying.

If I have to get something at BB, I will buy online for in store pickup and I go when they open the next day to pick it up or I know it will take about 30 minutes if I go any other time.

But congrats to the OP and a few others here who have it appears found good BB stores.

BTW, I have never talked down or insulted any of the BB employees, I have tried hard to be nice, because I know you get better service if you are patient, polite and calm, but it doesn't help. Patient, polite and calm at this BB means the employees can walk over you even more and take their sweet time getting around to you when they have figured out what they are doing later that night.

[quote name='POG']I got a story for you.

I ordered two Eye of Judgement Theme decks online from BBonline. I got this email a week after my order:

Our records indicate that this item was returned because you no longer needed the item."

Thank you bbonline. You know exactly what I need.[/quote]

Hilarious :applause:

[quote name='POG']I got a story for you.

-joseph[/quote]

Reminds me of the pots and pans set I bought from Linens and Things. Was $80 or something with a $50 rebate.
A month after getting it and getting the rebate already i get an email saying thanks for returning your item - your credit card has been refunded. Lo and behold, i got my money back....didn't question that one.

bread's done
Back