Best Buy matching online retailers

While they are at it they can also calculate out sales tax then. Fry's has been doing this for some time now and they don't calculate in shipping because tax easily exceeds any shipping costs, especially on big ticket items.

[quote name='RiPPn']While they are at it they can also calculate out sales tax then. Fry's has been doing this for some time now and they don't calculate in shipping because tax easily exceeds any shipping costs, especially on big ticket items.[/QUOTE]

Sales taxes have nothing to do with price matching.

when frys first started pm'ing online retailers they would add on the shipping cost...now they just pm the price and disregard the shipping cost, atleast thats what my frys does.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Smart move as long as they keep it limited. Let's hope it comes to the States.[/QUOTE]

It has.
I got them to match a 55" TV on July 4th.
BB had it for $1899, Amazon for $1597. They matched without a problem, they just made sure to check that it was actually sold by Amazon and not a third party.

I also had them match Lego Batman 2 the same day for about $10 cheaper.

Best Buys in my area have already been price matching Amazon, etc. but they won't honor coupons or other deals along with the price match. It would be nice if they would start doing that, but I doubt it. Best Buy has never considered tax or shipping in their price matching and I can't see that being realistic.

[quote name='Flacksguy']It has.
I got them to match a 55" TV on July 4th.
BB had it for $1899, Amazon for $1597. They matched without a problem, they just made sure to check that it was actually sold by Amazon and not a third party.

I also had them match Lego Batman 2 the same day for about $10 cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I assume you understand that's YMMV. It isn't policy until this page changes.
I want to shop at your Best Buy. :D

This is great for me since amazon is now charging tax in Texas. You guys are lucky about Frye because the Frys close to me will price match and then add shipping and tax.

With Amazon charging taxes in Texas now, if the prices are the same not much reason for me to wait for something i want.

[quote name='Dark Rider']I assume you understand that's YMMV. [/QUOTE]

I looked at the screen when they were doing it, and they had Amazon listed as a choice when he had to choose where the pricematch came from.
I just figured they always did it. I didn't know they matched NewEgg also though.

[quote name='XClaude']The "same day shipping" charges may render any price matching useless...[/QUOTE]

What if you have Prime? Ill gladly fork over the $2.99 I pay for one day shipping if Im saving tens to hundreds on items.

[quote name='DX']What if you have Prime? Ill gladly fork over the $2.99 I pay for one day shipping if Im saving tens to hundreds on items.[/QUOTE]

Do they take that into account? I would be surprised if they actually took the time to determine if you had Prime or not and then adjust the difference in one-day shipping. My guess is they just assume the same cost of one-day shipping for everyone. Time will tell, though.

I tried to get them to price match my ncaa 13 orders to toysrus and amazon and they refused. I tried on separate occasions with two different order numbers (after ordering both the 360 and ps3 versions in separate orders).

My orders are from bestbuy.com for in-store pickup.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='Flacksguy']I looked at the screen when they were doing it, and they had Amazon listed as a choice when he had to choose where the pricematch came from.
I just figured they always did it. I didn't know they matched NewEgg also though.[/QUOTE]

What's shocking is when you see Amazon on the price match list and not Kmart.

They're not going to match your Prime. Thats a paid service.
Nobody matches the @gamer coupons, right?

For me, the best part of them matching Amazon is that I can get it that same day.
I saw the price on Amazon at 9:30 am, I ran down to Best Buy at 10, I was loading the TV into the van by about 10:30. Then I had it to enjoy right away.

[quote name='Flacksguy']They're not going to match your Prime. Thats a paid service.
.[/QUOTE]

True, but the people that won't buy prime clearly use the super saver shipping which is free. I'm the kind of person that won't pay $1 extra to have something tomorrow rather than wait two weeks to get it. They are missing a big opportunity if they think including standard one day shipping with the amazon.com price is pricematching.

Not that I think this belongs here or is a deal, but if they are taking 1 day shipping into account you should have the right to demand they deliver the item to your door. That is what you are paying for when you pay for shipping. Not for them to drop ship it to a store and you drive and pick it up. And I mean this for big ticket items, you shouldn't have to be loading it to your own truck, etc. if they are essentially charging you for shipping.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Not that I think this belongs here or is a deal, but if they are taking 1 day shipping into account you should have the right to demand they deliver the item to your door. That is what you are paying for when you pay for shipping. Not for them to drop ship it to a store and you drive and pick it up. And I mean this for big ticket items, you shouldn't have to be loading it to your own truck, etc. if they are essentially charging you for shipping.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you go ahead and tell them that and let us know how that works out for you, k?

[quote name='SteveGo']Yeah, you go ahead and tell them that and let us know how that works out for you, k?[/QUOTE]

That's why I stated "you should have the right" and not "you have the right." Of course they are not going to do it, they make their policies, but it's still not fair for them to compare apples to oranges when convenient to them.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']What's shocking is when you see Amazon on the price match list and not Kmart.[/QUOTE]

I'm honestly not surprised. No one seems to think of Kmart as competition,even when Kmart does decide to have good deals.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']What's shocking is when you see Amazon on the price match list and not Kmart.[/QUOTE]

I was surprised the last time I price matched something at BB to GameStop and GameStop wasn't on the list - but only mildly, because retail always has its head up its...

[quote name='captpluto9465']I love that wording "showroom for Amazon," that's absolutely perfect. I never thought of it that way, but it's true.[/QUOTE]

"Showrooming" is now a common term in the trade - just do a search for it.

The whole point of PM is to get customers to buy the item at your store. If you are at their store you are likely to buy impulsive items, add expensive cables and accessories, extended warranties etc where they make huge margins. If you make the consumer jump through hoops or add extra stipulations why bother. The customer will have a negative experience and be more likely to skip your store in the future.

Best buy just spent millions on customer service training and should be focused on. Positive customer experience.

It will also be interesting to see what best buy does to counteract the upcoming Same day delivery and pickup service amazon is offering in CA, NYC and Texas. An offshoot of the new rules imposing sales tax collections in those locals lead amazon to construct huge distributions centers near those very large population centers and will soon be offering same day delivery as well as locked pick up boxes where the customer can go 24 hours a day and get their purchases. This would negate best buy's selling point of getting the item today and force them to compete strictly on price and customer experience which are both falling short at best buy for most items/stores.

[quote name='shrike4242']This is non-news until it shows up in their PM policies posted online on BestBuy.com.

When it shows up online that they're doing this, on this URL, let me know:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-To...ee/pcmcat204400050011.c?id=pcmcat204400050011

Otherwise, it's just scuttlebutt and rumor. Store managers can happily make adjustments to their policy on a case-by-case basis, though again, it's policy exception.[/QUOTE]

not that great of mod if you can't read the op, it's in canada, not the us, so the .com won't show up, but the .ca will

100% legit for Canada. I am sure we have some Canadian members here.

bestbuy.ca price match policy

bbcanada.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kklems']The whole point of PM is to get customers to buy the item at your store. If you are at their store you are likely to buy impulsive items, add expensive cables and accessories, extended warranties etc where they make huge margins. If you make the consumer jump through hoops or add extra stipulations why bother. The customer will have a negative experience and be more likely to skip your store in the future.

Best buy just spent millions on customer service training and should be focused on. Positive customer experience.

It will also be interesting to see what best buy does to counteract the upcoming Same day delivery and pickup service amazon is offering in CA, NYC and Texas. An offshoot of the new rules imposing sales tax collections in those locals lead amazon to construct huge distributions centers near those very large population centers and will soon be offering same day delivery as well as locked pick up boxes where the customer can go 24 hours a day and get their purchases. This would negate best buy's selling point of getting the item today and force them to compete strictly on price and customer experience which are both falling short at best buy for most items/stores.[/QUOTE]You can get a pm from damn near anyplace if you know how to haggle & play the game. Big ticket items are the easiest since no one wants to see a $1000, $2000 or $3000 sale walk out the door. There's several keys to getting them, when you shop(time of the day/month) & what they're pushing.

If you go in during "dead" shopping periods(early morn/mid day)/near closing(1-2 hrs prior) & on Mondays/Weds then you have more time to get the manager focused on getting your sale. If there daily #'s need a boost providing them with a large sale & the right extra is a win win for them usually a warranty will suffice.

Go in with the the total cost from the competition & know what the highest amount your willing to pay including a 1 & 2 yr warranty factored in. Some items will be in demand in your area & they won't budge too much since there's still a large # of people who will pay what BB is asking. Work with the staff meet in the middle & you'll win out.

[quote name='Nephilim']100% legit for Canada. I am sure we have some Canadian members here.

bestbuy.ca price match policy[/QUOTE]And when it comes to the US site, then a lot more people will get excited about it.

Hopefully this is a step to it being a US policy as well and they're testing it out in Canada.

Personally, I think Best Buy will lose their shirt on trying to do this.

[quote name='Enuf']You can get a pm from damn near anyplace if you know how to haggle & play the game. Big ticket items are the easiest since no one wants to see a $1000, $2000 or $3000 sale walk out the door. There's several keys to getting them, when you shop(time of the day/month) & what they're pushing.

If you go in during "dead" shopping periods(early morn/mid day)/near closing(1-2 hrs prior) & on Mondays/Weds then you have more time to get the manager focused on getting your sale. If there daily #'s need a boost providing them with a large sale & the right extra is a win win for them usually a warranty will suffice.

Go in with the the total cost from the competition & know what the highest amount your willing to pay including a 1 & 2 yr warranty factored in. Some items will be in demand in your area & they won't budge too much since there's still a large # of people who will pay what BB is asking. Work with the staff meet in the middle & you'll win out.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, if you have a job assuming you are able to, take a day off to go and get your big ticket item so you can shop while everyone else is in work, this will get the sales team focused on you instead of shopping on a Saturday when everyone else is shopping. Maybe find out when the end of their selling quarter or selling period is and go closer to the end, if you go closer to the end and are planning on spending $1-2K they will want that on their books before the end of the quarter or selling period so go then.

There are good deals to be had during the holiday season but often big ticket items like more expensive TV's don't get reduced that much so buy during a different time when the store isn't so busy. They know they are going to have tons of people coming in for Xmas sales so they will probably feel the need to haggle less since there will be another customer right behind you willing to pay. Holidays when the store is open or days in your area when everyone is doing something else when there are big events would also be a good time to shop.

I know I tried an Amazon price at my Best Buy and they did it for me one time, but I don't think it was a regular/constant thing, I think it's just because I'm a fairly regular customer. Though it'd be great if it did.

what the hell shrike, i call you out for not reading, so you delete my post so it never shows up, what kind of mod is that. maybe one that abuses his power?

bread's done
Back