Best Buy no longer price matching own website

chatgirl4

Banned
In a move that makes Best Buy over take GameStop as worst retail store, Best Buy will no longer price match their own website. Apparently though you can order off their site, do site to store then wait 30 minutes to get the lower price :roll:

* Create/post their own customer-facing signage at POS registers or at the customer point of entry into the building that actively contradicts the stated policy.

* Ask the customer to use the kiosk/ExpressLane as a way to avoid price match margin erosion.

* Not honor a price match to BestBuy.com once a customer indicates awareness.

^^^^^^^ what employees are not do do.

In general I loathe B&M stores, but ironically I had one of the best experiences at a BB the other week.

Since I've got BB credit about to expire I go in on Thursday to see if they are still selling the Move controller for 34.99 like they were on Monday. They aren't so I look on my phone to see what the price is online and it is 42.99. Associate sees I'm looking on my phone and asks me if I'm using it to compare prices. I tell him that I am and that I wanted to get the Move controller because it was 34.99 earlier in the week but now that it's 42.99 I'm not really interested. He says he'll see what he can do so he rings it up as an employee and the price is 36.75 with the employee discount and says he can sell it to me for 36.99 (to which I agree and so they just do a manual override at the register to give me the price).

I was blown away by this and know it isn't typical but I really respect the guy for doing it. He was actually the 3rd associate to come up to me a in a 3 minute span (while I was perusing the game section). The first two asked the standard "do you need any help?" and I brushed them off quickly but the 3rd guy came up to me and started a conversation about me comparing prices using my phone so I actually talked with him.

This is a pretty dumb move IMO that retailers won't honor their website prices at B&M locations.

I ran into this years ago, an item was $7.99 on BestBuy.com and $12.99 in store. They refused to match the website so I had to use the in store kiosk to place the order for pickup to get the $7.99 price.

[quote name='dabamus']Yeah. OP is misreading it completely.[/QUOTE]

You'd be hard pressed to read it any more incorrectly. How the he'll did op get that out of that?

Hilarious...that article is literally the exact opposite. Good for them, actually. I have had to get them to price match a few games in the past few weeks to BB.com or the gaming app (some of the unadvertised online specials, for example when MK was $47.99 online a few weeks ago, it was $59.99 in store), and they were more than happy too.

The op did not read the article I linked to, she just read the poorly written rules. I supplied the link to help clear up the confusion. lets not bite the girls head off for a simple misread.

As a former Best Buy employee and current shopper, I can say that they 100% match not only their own website, but any other website out there as well, provided it has free shipping. I price match them against Amazon and Newegg all the time and get fantastic deals. I'm very happy with my service every time I go in there. And as far as everyone ripping on GameStop, my local store is absolutely fantastic. The staff is very knowledgeable, the prices are fair, they've got great selection and as a buyer of CE's, they do a really good job at keeping their's in tip top condition on the shelves. I understand that everyone has bad experiences here and there, but I couldn't be happier with my local GameStop.

[quote name='thecoryjihad']I can say that they 100% match not only their own website, but any other website out there as well, provided it has free shipping. I price match them against Amazon and Newegg all the time and get fantastic deals. [/QUOTE]

Really? My BB has only matched B&M store prices and their own website.

This changed about 2 years ago. Whenever I go into their store, I scan everything I want to buy into my phone(yeah, I'm one of those guys) and save it in my Amazon cart. When I go up to the register, I show it to them, they get the customer service manager to come over and override it and out I go, saving tons of cash. It's corporate wide, so I'd ask your store's customer service manager about it.

I think I see what's going on. Its a bit of an assumption but I'm guessing that when they price-match the website in-store the money for the discount comes out of the store's budget. There must be some other type of accounting for items ordered off of Bestbuy.com such as it is merely removed from their inventory with no adverse impact on the individual store's financials.

That's the only reason I can think of that corporate would be so stern with the stores about price-matching the website and the individual stores would be so reluctant to do so.

bread's done
Back