Best Buy Price Match TRU 3DS games B1G1 50% off + $10 GC (YMMV)

bamf226

CAGiversary!
Went to Best Buy to pick up my pre-order for 3DS. Asked the customer service person if they would match the current buy 1 get 1 50% off on 3DS games from Toys R Us. Best Buy has a promotion that if you buy 2 3DS games, you get a $10 gift card. After checking the advertisement, she agreed to the price match and I bought my 2 games. And since I bought 2 games, she gave me the gift card as well. Since it is Best Buy, this is obviously YMMV, but worth a shot.

completely ymmv. My Best Buy would never do this, if it's NOT a finite price they are matching, they just shrug it off and tell you to go to TRU.

I got the same deal this morning... I brought in the add for TRU and they matched the deal without any problems. Then to my surprise (and without asking) she says "and you're getting a $10 gift card too". (Rochester, MN)

Seems the system simply auto generated the deal even with the price match. Again, this was at 10am this morning so perhaps they've gotten wise to this and are only offering one or the other now????

I'd go back and try again, but really... the line up sucks sooooo bad from my point of view... nothing really out there for me.

Got Pilotwings (just because) and Rayman (never played Rayman 2 before, but I still shutter at buying a quick cash in port).

[quote name='thedream77']completely ymmv. My Best Buy would never do this, if it's NOT a finite price they are matching, they just shrug it off and tell you to go to TRU.[/QUOTE]

This is mine. So I found a website that converts BB giftcards to amazon credit for a very very minor cut. Then when they suggested I go to TRU I did.

Again, very YMMV ... but I got it to work today flawlessly, no questions asked. It pops up automatically on the computer, so by default it will give you the extra card -- it just depends on whether who's ringing you up will override it or not. Thanks, CAG! With RZ certs, I ended up paying $16 for Pilotwings, which is a much more palatable price. :D

[quote name='Greatwhitecoley']This is mine. So I found a website that converts BB giftcards to amazon credit for a very very minor cut. Then when they suggested I go to TRU I did.[/QUOTE]
What's the web site?

whale.gif

Amazingly YMMV, depends more on getting a super nice or clueless cashier than any sort of "deal".

90%+ of us trying yesterday got shot down...

TBH I'm more surprised that others aren't getting BB to match the B1G1 @ 50% deal. I've never had a BB refuse me on a deal like that so long as I bring in the ad. Especially when the ad clearly says "all games" and all the games are the same price between all stores.

Not getting both the TRU deal AND $10 GC I fully understand though.

[quote name='thedream77']completely ymmv. My Best Buy would never do this, if it's NOT a finite price they are matching, they just shrug it off and tell you to go to TRU.[/QUOTE]

I said it's YMMV, twice.

[quote name='lordopus99']I wonder where you got that from...

hmm...
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8309753&postcount=234[/QUOTE]

Got it from personal experience. I wasn't looking through a TRU thread to see what Best Buy would do. Hell, didn't even know about the $10 GC until I got to the store. Sure wasn't expecting the gift card,just didn't want to drive across town.

[quote name='teknomedic']TBH I'm more surprised that others aren't getting BB to match the B1G1 @ 50% deal. I've never had a BB refuse me on a deal like that so long as I bring in the ad. Especially when the ad clearly says "all games" and all the games are the same price between all stores.

Not getting both the TRU deal AND $10 GC I fully understand though.[/QUOTE]

The only hitch I had was that the supervisor wanted to call TRU to see if the games were in stock (why wouldn't they be on launch day?)

[quote name='Justin42']Amazingly YMMV, depends more on getting a super nice or clueless cashier than any sort of "deal".

90%+ of us trying yesterday got shot down...[/QUOTE]
This.

My Best Buy said that they won't PM if they have an existing offer even if it's worse than the competitor's.

I walked in tonight, grabbed Pilotwings and SSFIV, went to the customer service desk, said I wanted to match TRU buy 1, get 1 half off, the lady didn't even look at the TRU website and I didn't even have the TRU circular with me. She scanned both, overrode Pilotwings to $19.99, then loaded a gift card and handed it to me saying "You get a gift card, too." Couldn't have been easier, I usually am able to get this store to price match with some time and persistence but this was almost too easy. Might go back later this week and pick up a few more games considering how easy this was...

I know each Best buy is different because no one there knows their own price-matching guidelines. However, there should be no reason Best Buy wouldn't price match. if they deny the price match, I would demand that they show you where in their price match guarantee (available on their web site) the buy 1 get 1 50% off isn't covered.

And they would point to:

The guarantee does not apply to our competitors' website pricing and the guarantee does not apply to our or our competitors':

* Offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors and mail-in offers.

and tell you it's a bundle.

Not directing this at the above post... these would simply be my arguments if confronted with that type of reply from a BB employee, lol

1) you're splitting hairs on the definition of a "bundle".

2) Not website pricing... it's in the store.

3) Buying a 3DS with 2 games, a stylus pen pack, and a 3DS case for $320 is a bundle... buy one game get one half off is not.

4) a store wrapping two specific games with rubber band and putting one price on them is a bundle... grabbing ANY two separate games from the shelf and getting a deal for buying ANY two games is not.

5) Now call corporate... I'll wait.

Honestly though the only reason I wanted to buy them at BB was for the reward points... if they would have refused I would have simply left and gone to TRU or ordered from TRU website

Well, I'll just say in my case my local TrU and Best Buy are literally attached (they share a wall) and the BB would NOT budge about PMing TrU. I really couldn't believe that in that case they'd rather I walk out the door and go spend money next door. (I can see where the TrU and BB are 20 miles apart and they know they kind of "got you" once you get in the store).

I made sure to point the only other person there for 3DS games over to TrU too. He was quite appreciative. ;)

I wanted the RZ points as well, but TrU got my business for the games.

I would say this deal would be a 75% shot at your best buy price matching. I got mine to price match with no problem, and I got the $10 gift card. Ill be going back to get the battery plus from nyko for only $10 soon!

Technically BB is ALWAYS susposed to give you the lowest price. (Even a BB rep on thier website told me this).

Getting both deals? You'd have to be a lucky bastard.

Actually getting a manager to not be thickheaded and listen to policy? You'd have to be even luckier

Well once you get them to price match the deal it is really easy for you to get the $10 gift card because it automatically pops up on their system so they are like "oh hey! you get a giftcard with your purchase too!"

Trust me, if a computer tells them to do it, they will do it.

Just want to thank the OP, did this a couple days ago and got it to work with no problem. I just had to show them toysrus's homepage that said B1G1 half off all 3DS games and that was it. In fact, the deal was so good that I turned around and bought two more games and used the first gift card on the second purchase. :) The double reward zone points for using my best buy card was the icing on a deliciously cheap cake. ;) For anyone curious, I picked up Pilotwings, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, Steel Diver, and Samurai Warriors Chronicles (got SSFIV 3D on launch night at Gamestop).

pilotwings' 3d hasn't been very good to me. Ridge racer 3d is fantastic though, and I have yet to pop in ssf4

[quote name='GreekGodIGN']Just want to thank the OP, did this a couple days ago and got it to work with no problem. I just had to show them toysrus's homepage that said B1G1 half off all 3DS games and that was it. In fact, the deal was so good that I turned around and bought two more games and used the first gift card on the second purchase. :) The double reward zone points for using my best buy card was the icing on a deliciously cheap cake. ;) For anyone curious, I picked up Pilotwings, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, Steel Diver, and Samurai Warriors Chronicles (got SSFIV 3D on launch night at Gamestop).[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. I'm loving GRSW myself. Still curious about SSFIV as I'm not a fighter fan. Seems to be a lot of content there. Can it appeal to someone who doesn't like fighters?

Just got this deal at Best Buy about 2 hours ago. The MGR need to approve the 2nd game 1/2 off, but the MGR was long gone when the register pop up that I get a free gift card. The cashier got a blank gift card, added the $10 and I was set. Thanks.

bread's done
Back