Best Buy return policy on unopend games w/o receipt?

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
Would I be able to return an unopened PS2 game that I got for a gift back to best buy, and get the value of it put onto a gift card?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I bought a game at BB in August and returned it in November. The sales person asked me how I paid for it , I told him BB credit card he looked it up and said since it was unopened and I buy so much stuff at the store he would give me a store credit.You can't beat that.I think it was a sales person call not company policy.

As long as it wasn't bought via cash, they should be able to pull it up via credit card #. They've pulled receipts of mine back to early 2002 via credit card. I think they might be able to do it via check as well, though I'm not sure about that.

If it was cash, the best they probably would do would be store credit on the lowest sale price of the game or the current price of the game, depending if their system does any type of legacy price checking like that.

Otherwise, they might just tell you to get lost. Not sure with BB these days.

Yeah, if it's UNopenend and NO receipt, I think they will give you the LOWEST price it ever sold for. So, you could get screwed on that deal....I guess it depends what game.

[quote name='gamegeizer']I bought a game at BB in August and returned it in November. The sales person asked me how I paid for it , I told him BB credit card he looked it up and said since it was unopened and I buy so much stuff at the store he would give me a store credit.You can't beat that.I think it was a sales person call not company policy.[/quote]

I did this as well. I think it's within the return time (30 days) they will even give you a refund. I was given store credit cause was after the 30 days.

They might tell you to fuck yourself. Unless you bring the CC of the person who gave it to you. This is the response I got when I tried to return a b-day present without a receipt to BB last summer.

Remember those Circuit City commericials where a guy returns some appliance, and he's all babbling to explain why he doesn't have a receipt, and the cashier girl just cuts him off and takes the item back without a problem? And then it plays a little jingle and it's like "Circuit City: We're With You!"

So is CC noticeably more friendly toward returns/exchanges than best buy, or is that ad campaign just full of it? 'Cuz I get the impression that CC and BB are about the same when it comes to this sort of thing.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Remember those Circuit City commericials where a guy returns some appliance, and he's all babbling to explain why he doesn't have a receipt, and the cashier girl just cuts him off and takes the item back without a problem? And then it plays a little jingle and it's like "Circuit City: We're With You!"

So is CC noticeably more friendly toward returns/exchanges than best buy, or is that ad campaign just full of it? 'Cuz I get the impression that CC and BB are about the same when it comes to this sort of thing.[/quote]

Well that commercial is a little different than the scenario you are in. The commercial was simply stating that if you bought a product from CC and lost the recepit, they could find it for you in their system......not that they are more than happy to take back products without receipts that can not be proven to have been bought at CC.

Personally, I don't know what CC's policies are toward no receipt returns but Best Buy's policies were correctly stated above by doubledown.

I would also add that Walmart is very liberal when it comes to returns and they will give you store credit for what ever the current price of the product is in their system.

CC took two games back minus a recept but it had the CC branded stickers on them....BB maybe a different policy...good luck though

i tried it once and was successful, they took my DL# down and basically told me that you're allowed 3 returns w/o receipt ever

[quote name='BustaUppa']Remember those Circuit City commericials where a guy returns some appliance, and he's all babbling to explain why he doesn't have a receipt, and the cashier girl just cuts him off and takes the item back without a problem? And then it plays a little jingle and it's like "Circuit City: We're With You!"

So is CC noticeably more friendly toward returns/exchanges than best buy, or is that ad campaign just full of it? 'Cuz I get the impression that CC and BB are about the same when it comes to this sort of thing.[/quote]

nope I lost my recept from CC 2 months back and tried to return bomberman for the GBA 3 days after i got it and they said Too bad NO recept no refund. Not even their main office would do anything about it so i was stuck with the piss ass game Bomberman

The number of stores allowing returns without receipts is getting lower and lower. Try to return it - the worst that could happen is they could say no. However, in the weeks after Christmas, many stores are far more lenient than they normally are, and you could probably return or exchange it then, when you might not otherwise be able to.

Whether or not Best Buy will allow the return is really up to the shift manager. On two seperate occasions I ordered a game online but decided I didn't want it. Instead of shipping it back I just took the games over to Best Buy to get credit there. Both times the clerk asked their supervisor and he let it through both times. They then took down all my information (Address, DL #, etc) and issued store credit. I was never told the "three no receipt returns ever" rule, but if it's any indicator Target allows 3 per year (unless that has changed).

Last Christmas (or was it the Christmas before) I got 2 copies of Kingdom HEarts.. I took one back to BB (no receipt) and they gave me credit without a fuss.

When I purchased my X-Box from E-bay the guy sold me an unopened Legends of Wrestling as well. I took it to CC and told them it was a gift and they let me trade it for Halo at equal value. This was in 02' so I am not sure if the policy has changed.

YMMV or YLMV (your luck may vary)

I used to do this trick a bit . . . almost no one will consistently allow you to return games without a receipt anymore. Everyone used to . . . it was abused too much.

I remember getting two N64 games at Funcoland (I had credit that I wanted to shed) Space Station Silicon Valley and Body Harvest for $100 total (then I saw them for half as much at Target). I "returned" the games to Walmart (for $100 cash) and bought the Target ones . . . netting $50. I felt so bad about it (standing there lying) that I decided not to do it again.

The circuit city commercial wasnt for a missing reciept, but rather a reason for return. At least i think thast the one your thinking about. The one where the guy goes, 'were moving to europe and they have different power plugs'.

at CC, some clerks will take your phn number with a purchase and the purchase will be in with your phn number.
Many you can just ask them to take it down.

[quote name='gugaplex']The circuit city commercial wasnt for a missing reciept, but rather a reason for return. At least i think thast the one your thinking about. The one where the guy goes, 'were moving to europe and they have different power plugs'.[/quote]

I remember that ad. Hated it too. If you didn't know any better the ad could of been for a dating service the way the customer and employee were hitting on each other was unreal. :shock:

Tho its not nearly as bad as the current CC ads. I don't know which one I hate more - the one with the guy needing a "sign from above" on where the cheapest place to find electronics is, or the one with the dumb blond complaining about being behind on digital camera technology. What's worse is the whoring of that song by The Cars. Very annoying.

[quote name='demomanTNA']What's worse is the whoring of that song by The Cars. Very annoying.[/quote]

Can't agree with you more there. An awesome song like that doesn't deserve to be in a CC commercial.

Normally, after x-mas they take stuff back without receipt and give you the lowest sale price they have had. They put the credit on a gift card, I think.

bread's done
Back