Best Buy Reward Zone Facebook App: Earn Free Points With Polls and Activities

What the heck? Best Buy took away 175 points for "Annual Point Expiration", but like pretty much everyone here, I got them this year. They also cashed out 250 points for the $5 cert. except that I'd switch it to cash out at 1000 points last month.

Ok here it is the points reset in February no matter when you gained them this year or last have some of you just became rz members just last year? I'm not understanding how so many people don't get it

[quote name='Saix_XIII']136 is over 100 points shy of a certificate. I don't understand your logic there, unless you mean you did not do the facebook polls at all so you could have earned the points. But why are you not doing them in general? Seems like it's partly your fault for ignoring the polls IF this is the case.[/QUOTE]

No, I have been doing the Facebook app since it started..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really understand why everyone is so upset. I know this is basically losing up to $4.99, but literally that is the MOST you can lose, $4.99, is it really worth getting this upset?

1. It is easily found on the RZ website that this happens.
2. They at least cash out as many points as possible instead of trashing all of them, like Toys R Us does every 3 months I believe.
3. If you are premiere silver (not likely overall, I know) OR GCU (very likely since this is CAG and it is well worth the $15) they do not take your points, again this is stated on the website.
4. You can call them and they will more than likely give you the points back.

This is not some hidden clause in their ToS. It is very easy to find.

[quote name='Rockinjs']Ok here it is the points reset in February no matter when you gained them this year or last have some of you just became rz members just last year? I'm not understanding how so many people don't get it[/QUOTE]

Wrong, it says in the FAQ "you will be getting points for the new calendar year on January 1" meaning you're not supposed to lose points earned this year.

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/about/faq/earningpoints

And I read one guy lost 256 points, which shows something's definitely up with their system.

Again, I just e-mailed them and they credited them back to me, so no worries.

[quote name='mitch079']Such 1st world problems. And a few more to add to the ignore list.[/QUOTE]

Why are you on this forum then? When someone gives you something and takes it away without justification, people have a right to ask for it back. It's not the same as being entitled and demanding freebies

[quote name='black_hand313']Why are you on this forum then? When someone gives you something and takes it away without justification, people have a right to ask for it back. It's not the same as being entitled and demanding freebies[/QUOTE]

Good on ya, fella. You stood up for yourself and you made a difference. :applause:

[quote name='black_hand313']Why are you on this forum then? When someone gives you something and takes it away without justification, people have a right to ask for it back. It's not the same as being entitled and demanding freebies[/QUOTE]

Its in their terms of service and FAQ, if you don't have enough points for a $5 cert you will forfeit those points around this time of year. Simple as that, not sure whats so hard to understand.

Yes, it is in their faq, but the FAQ also states that Jan 1st is the new calendar year, hence why people are annoyed.

While I'm not worried about losing FB points (easy come, easy go), I'll be kinda pissed if I lose the points from last month:
tesRREkTKQOAMCJ4Ete8PA5k0YSvJFFESRMpA4AwIngS17w8DmTRhK8kUURJEykDgDAieBLXvDwOZNG0v8BKgxtHGgIP3QAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
rzpointscropped.jpg

As you can see, those pending purchases were supposed to be available on Feb 6th - the day of the reset. So yeah, I'll be pissed if they did just disappear. They're still pending but I'm sure they'll go through. But this is Best Buy, and I've had problems with RZ in the past.

[quote name='PlumeNoir']Yes, it is in their faq, but the FAQ also states that Jan 1st is the new calendar year, hence why people are annoyed.

While I'm not worried about losing FB points (easy come, easy go), I'll be kinda pissed if I lose the points from last month:
tesRREkTKQOAMCJ4Ete8PA5k0YSvJFFESRMpA4AwIngS17w8DmTRhK8kUURJEykDgDAieBLXvDwOZNG0v8BKgxtHGgIP3QAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
rzpointscropped.jpg

As you can see, those pending purchases were supposed to be available on Feb 6th - the day of the reset. So yeah, I'll be pissed if they did just disappear. They're still pending but I'm sure they'll go through. But this is Best Buy, and I've had problems with RZ in the past.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've always thought the long after January 1st annual reset was a bit of a fraud on Best Buy's part because unless you are Silver, you basically lose anything under $250 worth of RZ points for December/Christmas purchases. They always wait until late January/early February to do this reset which doesn't just take any points from 2012, but also points that never even posted to your account from December purchases. There is nothing in their terms and conditions that says you should lose points that haven't even posted yet or that early February is the start of the new year.

[quote name='PlumeNoir']Yes, it is in their faq, but the FAQ also states that Jan 1st is the new calendar year, hence why people are annoyed.

rzpointscropped.jpg

As you can see, those pending purchases were supposed to be available on Feb 6th - the day of the reset. So yeah, I'll be pissed if they did just disappear. They're still pending but I'm sure they'll go through. But this is Best Buy, and I've had problems with RZ in the past.[/QUOTE]

For everyone having trouble viewing points, or for those wondering why they haven't been added into your account yet. Best Buy posted on the reward zone site that they are having issues with the transfer from 2012-2013, due to this any points gained from February 3rd to the 23rd will not show up until AFTER the 23rd. I wish some people would read instead of assuming.

[quote name='bigassboy']For everyone having trouble viewing points, or for those wondering why they haven't been added into your account yet. Best Buy posted on the reward zone site that they are having issues with the transfer from 2012-2013, due to this any points gained from February 3rd to the 23rd will not show up until AFTER the 23rd. I wish some people would read instead of assuming.[/QUOTE]

I know, in fact I think I might have mentioned that a few pages back.

Have I ever told the story where it took months to get BB to issue a $5 cert? (I know I have in a different forum a couple years ago.) After numerous calls I had racked up $15 or $20 in comped certs issued by service reps; by the end, they were telling me that they were refusing the issue any more comped certs because they already gave me so many. I countered that it didn't matter how many they gave me, I couldn't get them anyway. (They had tried to send them via email and postal mail for months and would never show up.) That was one of the reasons I stopped going to BB; plus, Amazon beat BB hands down in pricing. Last year was really when I started shopping at BB again.

So yeah, I don't put it past BB to screw up. Worse, to have trouble fixing things. The CSR I spoke to the other night didn't help by giving conflicting info and telling me I spent far more than I did last year.

Seems to be working now, as I just got another $5 certificate today. I lost out on 142 points but I'm not gonna sit here and call them up on it. I average a $5 certificate about every 3-4 days anyway (with a friends help).

Weird took the poll today and got 0 points.

Edit: seems to have corrected itself now.

[quote name='jkam']Weird took the poll today and got 0 points.[/QUOTE]

Yep, same here.

Also, thanks to the OP for bringing this app up. Best Buy has soured me with shopping experiences thanks to all of the crap they try to sell you as you walk through the aisle. I'm not interested in Clear or Direct TV.

[quote name='MiraiLink']What the heck? Best Buy took away 175 points for "Annual Point Expiration", but like pretty much everyone here, I got them this year.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy's point system is screwed up. They issue my a cert and 2 days later X points expiered even though all my points have been from purchases in the last 1 - 3 months.

I sent them an email about the deducted points and they told me this:

the points earned after January 1st or facebook poll points should not be affected for this process, but only the points from last year 2012.

Those points earned on 2013 that were deducted in the annualization process by the system will be posted back to your account when the annualization period is over. This period will take approximately 2 weeks. We will have a firmer date in the next few days.

Nothing really new here but I guess I'll wait and see.

I only lost 83 points so I'm not that concerned but...do all of the purchases from December (the busiest time of the year for purchases) get wiped first thing in the new year? Seems lame if that is the case.

My account had a $10 certifcate printed and never received an email, nor is it found in the "My Certificates" tab...I also lost 35 points from this Annual Points Expiration monster. 535 pts missing, thats definitely worthy of an email from me.

[quote name='mitch079']They extended my silver membership another year. Best part is I only spend about a grand a year there.[/QUOTE]

How do you know if you're silver or not? Usually I see that one bar saying how far I am from being a silver, but with the current maintenance I don't know.

About 130 points expired for me. I sent RZ Customer Service a message asking to have the points back. They made a "one time exception" (I got a "one time exception" two years in a row now) for me and actually gave me 250 points to replace my expired 130.

I want to try to stack up like $50 worth of points and put it towards an external hard drive, but I have a feeling that by the time I get that many points the hard drive won't be sold by Best Buy anymore (or maybe not even produced).

Bah.

I had 243 points "expire" for their annualization on February 7th (that very day I had points post from a purchase that would've pushed me over 250.... Also, ALL of those points were earned from purchases in 2013, not in 2012 so it makes no sense. So I check their website, and it says their points reset on January 1st. Again, it makes no sense why they would reset my points on February 7th....

So I call customer service and ask about it since I had 243 points expire the day I would've received a new gift certificate, I wanted an explanation. She tells me that it is in their terms of service, but she would make a one time exception and give me a $5 certificate. On principle, I asked her to show me where in their terms of service it states their annualization process can delete points like that. She puts me on hold for about 20 minutes, then points me to some passage mentioning account maintenance for NEW purchases that might not post correctly until February 23rd. This passage says absolutely NOTHING about removing or resetting points, and only mentions NEW purchases which I point out, and she ignores everything I say and just says I violated the terms of service, she would make a one-time exception and give me the gift certificate.

There is a passage in their terms of service mentioning annualization resets, it says it occurs on JANUARY 1st, not in February and it's pretty specific. The fact that the rep is just making stuff up to try and tell me I somehow violated the terms of service and that I should be grateful for her "one-time exception" for doing the right thing and returning points to me that I earned, just pisses me off to no end. Like I'm supposed to thank you for having to spend 30 minutes on the line with Best Buy customer service to get points back that were wrongfully taken away from me. Yeah, no.

Reading these posts, looks like I'm not the only one dealing with yet another Best Buy customer service Fiasco. It seems this stuff happens on a monthly basis now.

[quote name='maximumzero']I want to try to stack up like $50 worth of points and put it towards an external hard drive, but I have a feeling that by the time I get that many points the hard drive won't be sold by Best Buy anymore (or maybe not even produced).

Bah.[/QUOTE]
Personally my goal is to keep saving up these points from this promotion to finally get Kirby's Return to Dreamland for under $5, as I don't think that will ever go on sale at this point.

And even if it ever does, they were free points anyways.

What time does the poll update? I did one last night around 11:15PM EST and went on just now and was the same one.

[quote name='ck76']What time does the poll update? I did one last night around 11:15PM EST and went on just now and was the same one.[/QUOTE]
The new polls are posted at around 11:00 p.m. the night before, so you caught it right after it was posted

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Personally my goal is to keep saving up these points from this promotion to finally get Kirby's Return to Dreamland for under $5, as I don't think that will ever go on sale at this point.

And even if it ever does, they were free points anyways.[/QUOTE]

Side-note, not sure if you knew Kirby's Dream Collection can be had for $20 at Best Buy due to the GamersClub offer.

[quote name='MiraiLink']Is it true that we can combine two certs and use them online?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I don't think there is a limit. The only thing is your purchase total needs to be more than the cert total (before tax)

New poll is up also

What is the most you ever banked on BB GC? I was able to bank up to $500 to buy a Dyson vaccum cleaner for Mrs. (Should have bought games instead)

[quote name='Brother Daz']Yes, I don't think there is a limit. The only thing is your purchase total needs to be more than the cert total (before tax)

New poll is up also[/QUOTE]

Oh really, there's no limit? Well now I don't feel annoyed about losing the points and BB automatically issuing me certs. Thanks.

[quote name='MiraiLink']Oh really, there's no limit? Well now I don't feel annoyed about losing the points and BB automatically issuing me certs. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I used 14 $5 certs in one order online a couple weeks ago, so yah if there is a limit its pretty high. Lol.

I used a $5 certificate from my brother's reward zone account and a $5 certificate from my reward zone account and the cashier didn't notice or care.

Did anybody else's points just double for some reason? I had 225 yesterday and it bumped up to 450 today. I also got bumped up to premier silver for some reason.

hmm i got bumped up to Premier Silver.. but no extra points.
hmm anyone knows what's the Crowdsourcing 25 points from?

didn't know there was a daily poll... i only checked every five days... when did this start?

I just stumbled onto this now... Usually leary of facebook apps, but I signed up, took the poll, and the 25 pts showed up in my account immediately. Hard to argue with that. Thanks OP!

[quote name='wilflare']hmm i got bumped up to Premier Silver.. but no extra points.
hmm anyone knows what's the Crowdsourcing 25 points from?

didn't know there was a daily poll... i only checked every five days... when did this start?[/QUOTE]
Crowdsourcing was the "members' choice" vote, IIRC. I think I noticed and started the Facebook activities on the 11th or 12th of January.

That's odd. They automatically added the 25 points on both the RZ page and the facebook app right after taking the poll, but when I logged back in, my point total in both is back to what it was before the 25 pts (the 25 pt transaction is still showing in my history).

Is that normal with this app deal? Will the correct total show up for me again?

[quote name='MR_E']That's odd. They automatically added the 25 points on both the RZ page and the facebook app right after taking the poll, but when I logged back in, my point total in both is back to what it was before the 25 pts (the 25 pt transaction is still showing in my history).

Is that normal with this app deal? Will the correct total show up for me again?[/QUOTE]

I take it you haven't actually, you know...*read* this thread, or the last few pages of it. It's tough, I know. All that actual eye movement and translating that data to the brain. So exhausting.

Please read *just two previous pages* and you'll know.

[quote name='boagman']I take it you haven't actually, you know...*read* this thread, or the last few pages of it. It's tough, I know. All that actual eye movement and translating that data to the brain. So exhausting.

Please read *just two previous pages* and you'll know.[/QUOTE]

Got it. Best Buy points glitch. I glanced through but overlooked that info, I guess. It's almost 1am, I'm doing 5 things at once, and it's a 27 page thread. Cut me some slack...lol

[quote name='thunder2']Crowdsourcing was the "members' choice" vote, IIRC. I think I noticed and started the Facebook activities on the 11th or 12th of January.[/QUOTE]

thanks! and there's only one Member's Choice so far right? which was the Big Game one was it?

My reward zone account updated and it says the double points I got were from "Annual maintenance points reimbursement"

bread's done
Back