Best Buy Reward Zone Gamers Club changing in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Just got this email:

The game is changing. New benefits. New rewards.
It's a whole new way to play the game.

Reward Zone® Gamers Club is leveling up. On September 12, 2011,
you will begin earning double points on new game software, including
digital content and accessories purchases. Plus, for $14.99 per year,
you can join the optional paid level—Gamers Club Unlocked—where
you'll enjoy access to even greater benefits: REWARD ZONE GAMERS CLUB
• A free subscription to @Gamer, the exclusive gaming magazine

• 10% off all pre-owned software purchases

• 10% bonus credit on trade-in software

• Reward Zone Gamers Club exclusive offers
Between now and September 11, 2011, you will continue to earn 500 bonus points for every $150 you spend on video games, PC games and video game accessories at Best Buy® stores or BestBuy.com®.

Then on September 12, 2011, you'll automatically be part of the new Reward Zone Gamers Club. And you'll have the opportunity to visit a Best Buy store and 'level up' to Reward Zone Gamers Club Unlocked. And because you’ve been a loyal Gamers Club member, we want to give you a preview of the new club. So going back to June 1, 2011, you'll also earn double points on all new software and accessories purchases.

All this plus the Reward Zone points you earn every day for nearly all your Best Buy purchases, including gaming hardware. For the latest Reward Zone Gamers Club information, visit MyRZ.com.

I'm not sure if the doubling points thing actually benefits us. The way it's worded, it sounds like they'll be getting rid of the 500 bonus points for every $150 in game purchases. Which means double point purchases is actually a downgrade since we'll get 300 points instead of 500 points for every $150 spent.

The $15 a year thing is the same price as a @Gamer magazine subscription right now. Not sure if the 10% saved on trade ins and preowned games would be worth it enough.

[quote name='reddjoey']Same problems as everyone else. BB had no problems taking my money, but can't seem to get the system up to date. Fortunately, the employees honored it all and added the bonus % to my trade in. Now to just get it figured out.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I signed up Wednesday, the transaction has already posted on the RZ website, but it still doesn't show the change to Unlocked status. I also haven't received the Gamer's Club Unlocked email that some others reported last week. I guess I'll give a few more days before contacting CS.

Anyone else notice on the RZ site that ALL the purchases after signing up for Unlocked now have this: RZGC UNLOCKED PO 10 DISCOUNT 1 3346036
in the drop down even if it wasn't a game purchase?

Not sure if this has been touched on but has anyone else had best buy charge them tax on the 14.99 SERVICE they are offering? I got charged tax on my damn Unlocked thing.

[quote name='nuzebe']Not sure if this has been touched on but has anyone else had best buy charge them tax on the 14.99 SERVICE they are offering? I got charged tax on my damn Unlocked thing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was charged tax too. I thought it was kind of odd. Anybody NOT get charged tax, besides maybe those with the sub coupon?

[quote name='phantomphoenix']Yeah, I was charged tax too. I thought it was kind of odd. Anybody NOT get charged tax, besides maybe those with the sub coupon?[/QUOTE]

I don't recall being charged tax for my POWERUP thingy at GameStop and I am pretty sure they can't legally charge tax since it is a SERVICE. Although I live in Cali and we have some random rules and regs with taxes. pretty sure it is just a glitch in the system though.

[quote name='nuzebe']Not sure if this has been touched on but has anyone else had best buy charge them tax on the 14.99 SERVICE they are offering? I got charged tax on my damn Unlocked thing.[/QUOTE]
Now that I looked at my receipt I was charged tax. Only taxed $0.30 on $5.00 since I used $10.00 in RZ certs. I had more $5 certs but didn't feel like looking for something else to put me at or over $15. I usually buy a soda, but just used GC for the difference. I wish I would have known that the school supplies were on clearance. They had pencil boxes for 25 cents. I did use those as overage so I could use up my RZ certs for the $10 Brinks and Hunteds though.

[quote name='klimb22']Now that I looked at my receipt I was charged tax. Only taxed $0.30 on $5.00 since I used $10.00 in RZ certs. I had more $5 certs but didn't feel like looking for something else to put me at or over $15. I usually buy a soda, but just used GC for the difference. I wish I would have known that the school supplies were on clearance. They had pencil boxes for 25 cents. I did use those as overage so I could use up my RZ certs for the $10 Brinks and Hunteds though.[/QUOTE]

klimb... I am assuming you are not in Cali since you only had 6% tax. haha. but seriously this is bullshit. It is only like $1.40 or so but to charge me tax on a fucking SERVICE might be the thing that puts me over the top with my anger for best buy.

I thought I did the process correctly, but I'm not noticing anything different on the website. The first attempt at BB had the staff not knowing about the brochure. I went to a second store yesterday and they were more knowledgable and scanned the brochure, then entered my Reward Zone ID and then the coupon. Nothing has changed on the website however to indicate that my status is unlocked. On my receipt it shows the RZGC Unlock (3081375) and then the application of the coupon. So it looks like it processed. This was yesterday, so is it possibly a timing delay or is something out of order with the way they rang it up? It doesn't show up in my recent activity for points and purchases yet, so I'm wondering if it is timing. Any thoughts?

Well, it's been 5 days since I did my unlock (not a former subscriber) and I've seen nothing change on my Rewards account. My receipt only says RZGC Unlock and the magazine, so I don't know if this whole brochure thing is supposed to show up somewhere on the receipt and that's how mine is broken or what. They seemed like they sort of knew what they were doing, but I guess not.

Is watch out there investigating tradeins done by the same person to much and doing bonus credit trade ins I got put under suspension from my store because I've traded in $1500 in games using trade bonuses

[quote name='halofreak64']Is watch out there investigating tradeins done by the same person to much and doing bonus credit trade ins I got put under suspension from my store because I've traded in $1500 in games using trade bonuses[/QUOTE]

were you trading in multiples? did you go over the 3 game limit?

I went in to Best Buy today to trade some games in. Pre ordered Rage to get the 50%, then they asked me if I wanted to sign up for the Unlocked Gamers Club. I said sure so they gave me the 10% extra, gave me the magazine, but must not have scanned it or scanned the wrong barcode or something. I didn't end up paying the 14.99 for the subscription so I obviously didn't get signed up for the Unlocked Gamers Club. But hey, I'll take some free goodies any time. ;)

[quote name='confoosious']Went to unlock again today. Systems were all down so couldn't even unlock. Or buy driver.

fucking best buy.[/QUOTE]What time? I got ICO/SOTC + GOW Origins around noon w/o a problem whole I was in there didn't seem to be an issue.

[quote name='halofreak64']Is watch out there investigating tradeins done by the same person to much and doing bonus credit trade ins I got put under suspension from my store because I've traded in $1500 in games using trade bonuses[/QUOTE]
That's the only way I've been doing trades is with promo bonuses. They let me use my current Rage pre-order receipt to get the 50% dealie again w/o having to do another pre-order, so that was nice. I got almost $50 for 2 games:)ps3:Bulletstorm n :ps3:Crysis 2). It was nice, since I paid $16 from EA for BS and I got Crysis 2 for essentially $5.05 from one of the folks who got in on the Amazon penny games.:D

I was tempted to pick up Ico/SOTC n GOW Origins collections for $60 out of pocket or maybe Driver to play through n hopefully trade for even money once the $10 off coupon and sale are no longer valid, but I just left with the $50 gc.

We also tried doing the GCU thing for me AGAIN today and they changed my email to the right one for my RZ card today in the system, so maybe it FINALLY took.

I still have a feeling that if all of these attempts at unlocking the Gamer's Club finally work that I'm gonna be receiving either 2-4 copies of the magazine a month or be locked in for 4-5 YEARS.:lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Apparently my RZ account has not 'leveled up' yet. I had them re-do the process to hopefully unlock the Gamer's Club with the mag subscription and so on and it's still not showing up on my RZ acct.

My one friend said it took about 5 days for it to show up on his though, so I'll give it till early next week. If it doesn't show up by then, then I guess I have to go in AGAIN with all of my receipts n try one more time.

What'll be funny though is if they're signing me up for a year with each try and I'm unlocked till like 2015 or so.;)[/QUOTE]
I have the same problem >.< but it's been a while since i got it done. I got it done on the 15th of Sept and it still hasnt shown up on my account but the receipt has shown up on the reward zone so i have no idea what to do.

[quote name='Enuf']What time? I got ICO/SOTC + GOW Origins around noon w/o a problem whole I was in there didn't seem to be an issue.[/QUOTE]

It might have been just that store.

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']I have the same problem >.< but it's been a while since i got it done. I got it done on the 15th of Sept and it still hasnt shown up on my account but the receipt has shown up on the reward zone so i have no idea what to do.[/QUOTE]
I'm probably gonna call BB CS tomorrow about it finally. Maybe they'll do like a few others had to do and send me a gc for the issues for either the amount of the subscription or a lil over to compensate for the aggravation.

It just sucks having to lug all of the paperwork in EVERY time I go to do game trades, since I don't want the employees thinking I'm trying to scam the extra 10% by just saying that I am signed up for it.:whistle2:#

can you post up your experience in the BB trade in thread? a lot of CAGs might need to be reminded of this. my guess is an employee noticed all of the trips and called your case into corporate.

[quote name='Donut2922']can you post up your experience in the BB trade in thread? a lot of CAGs might need to be reminded of this. my guess is an employee noticed all of the trips and called your case into corporate.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that definitely could be the case..i try to spread my trips evenly between stores and make sure im seen doing business

Don't know if it has been posted yet, but if so, then this is me confirming. I am an Unlocked member, and it seems that purchases on USED/PRE-OWNED games only gets you the regular 1x RZ points.

Also, it looks like for the doubling of points for NEW game purchases, they round down to the highest integer part not greater than your purchase price and double that, instead of rounding down to the highest integer part not greater than double your purchase price => you can potentially lose up to 1 point. Oh noez!:whee:

Update if anyone cares, I finally got this resolved. Previously I went to two different stores, neither of which could figure it out. Then I spent 40 minutes on the phone with customer service. They could see where the coupon was "rung up" but said I would have to call back and talk to their "gamers" dept during the week. I explained I already wasted 2 trips and 40 mins on the phone so she did say a $20 GC would be sent.

Luckily through all this I still have my coupon so I tried at a THIRD store today and it was the charm. Guy working was all like "Yeah there's more to it than just scanning the coupon here let me do it." He scanned the coupon and typed something, and viola it worked! My reward zone account shows "unlocked" as of a couple hours later.

So, if you think you unlocked your account and it didn't show up right away you may be at high risk of something not having been done right.

From a CAG perspective I put probably 50 miles on my car, wasted probably 2 hours total on the store trips and the 40 mins on the phone, and to show for it I have the 14.99 unlocked account and a $20 gc. Not sure if that all balances out, I'm thinking not.

[quote name='crax']Update if anyone cares, I finally got this resolved. Previously I went to two different stores, neither of which could figure it out. Then I spent 40 minutes on the phone with customer service. They could see where the coupon was "rung up" but said I would have to call back and talk to their "gamers" dept during the week. I explained I already wasted 2 trips and 40 mins on the phone so she did say a $20 GC would be sent.

Luckily through all this I still have my coupon so I tried at a THIRD store today and it was the charm. Guy working was all like "Yeah there's more to it than just scanning the coupon here let me do it." He scanned the coupon and typed something, and viola it worked! My reward zone account shows "unlocked" as of a couple hours later.

So, if you think you unlocked your account and it didn't show up right away you may be at high risk of something not having been done right.

From a CAG perspective I put probably 50 miles on my car, wasted probably 2 hours total on the store trips and the 40 mins on the phone, and to show for it I have the 14.99 unlocked account and a $20 gc. Not sure if that all balances out, I'm thinking not.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar problem today when I took my letter into the store. The first guy just ran the barcode off my letter and printed a receipt, and gave them back to me. As I looked at my receipt, I realized that there was NOTHING to tie the coupon to my actual RZ member ID. So I went back and asked another guy, and he said the "dumbass" didn't do it right. He went through the process of bringing up my RZ membership, THEN rang up the unlocked membership (normally costs 14.99 + tax), THEN ran the coupon, which made the balance owed ZERO. The receipt I got this time showed my RZ number and the subscription, so its all set. I think a lot of BB staff just don't know how to process this coupon; make sure they tie it to your RZ account!

[quote name='chimpmeister']I had a similar problem today when I took my letter into the store. The first guy just ran the barcode off my letter and printed a receipt, and gave them back to me. As I looked at my receipt, I realized that there was NOTHING to tie the coupon to my actual RZ member ID. So I went back and asked another guy, and he said the "dumbass" didn't do it right. He went through the process of bringing up my RZ membership, THEN rang up the unlocked membership (normally costs 14.99 + tax), THEN ran the coupon, which made the balance owed ZERO. The receipt I got this time showed my RZ number and the subscription, so its all set. I think a lot of BB staff just don't know how to process this coupon; make sure they tie it to your RZ account![/QUOTE]

It's actually very simple. Just go in and ask that you want to activate unlocked. Show Rz card, they scan brochure, $14.99+tax shows. This is the time u give the coupon which takes off the $14.99 charge.

[quote name='GoVols']Don't forget to get your free current issue of @gamer too when unlocking!!![/QUOTE]

Yes, that too.

Finally got my status changed to RZ Gamers Club Unlocked. I traded in some games, and brought my receipt with me as proof I did purchase it. The lady scanned my reward zone card, and voila! Status changed :applause:

God, I'm pretty sure they never used my RZ card when I did that. I even asked if they needed it. I didn't get an issue of the mag either. Sigh, off to BB this weekend.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']God, I'm pretty sure they never used my RZ card when I did that. I even asked if they needed it. I didn't get an issue of the mag either. Sigh, off to BB this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Bring your receipt if you have it as proof. Hopefully you get someone who's knowledgeable about it. I was told I'd get the welcome packet by mail, so until then I'm keeping my receipt for future trade ins.

I have been to 2 different BB's, total of 3 times, and they still don't know what to fucking do!!! The first guy scanned the coupon, then the @Gamer mag, and then my Rewards card. But he didn't scan the 14.99 membership. looked at my account, it didn't change, read it up here, went back, and the fucking lady argued with me that Its done right, and will take up to 8 weeks for it to appear. The bitch should know that it takes up to 8 weeks for the magazine to get delivered, but no, she thinks shes right!! So they couldn't do anything, and went to another BB, The fuckers had no idea what I was talking about. Looked at the coupo for 10 mins, sent me to CS (I was at the VG department) The lady looked at my receipt, and told me she can't do anything because its from a different BB, and its different programing BS.

Like R u fucking kidding me?? They hire no common sense high skool graduates who are scare to talk to a customer, all the ppl are like 20 yr old, and have no fucking knowledge, but to argue with us so we can leave them alone. One guy didn't know how to use the computer?? So he had to get some1 else. fuck THIS BS!! If they are soo dumb, and can't do a simple transaction they should be FIRED right away. And I know they get the fucking employee news letter, but who does actually reads that?? I even told them that they needed a Unlocked membership brochure for this to work. Nope, just argue, and wait 8 fucking weeks.

Seriously 4.0

I will go back tommorow to 3rd BB, won't even show the coupon, and will ask for unlocked membership upgrade, and than hand them the coupon!!
But my question is, since the coupon has been scanned, will it work? I do have the receipt, but am afraid they will send me back to the shitty BB, and say they can't do it here, because its scanned at another BB!!

Sry for my grammer, just really fucking Frustrated with this BS, on top of all that, all 3 BB's didn't have DRiver SF in stock, so couldn't even pick that up!! FFUUCCKK YOU BEST BUY

Well yes in addition to my story above...my coupon was indeed scanned incorrectly. Regardless, today it was scanned properly and it worked fine so I would say if they didn't do it right before, it will still be valid.

[quote name='GoVols']Don't forget to get your free current issue of @gamer too when unlocking!!![/QUOTE]

At what point in the order do you scan the mag?

BB rewardzone card ->
gamers unlocked membership ->
membership coupon from the mail

And can we put this order in the OP too?

[quote name='mgorsi']
Like R u fucking kidding me?? They hire no common sense high skool graduates who are scare to talk to a customer, all the ppl are like 20 yr old, and have no fucking knowledge, but to argue with us so we can leave them alone. [/QUOTE]

These two sentences had me snickering. I understand your frustration, but your wording/grammar is very ironic.

One minor addition, the day after I processed my free unlocked membership at the store, I got an email from BB saying the unlocked subscription had been processed. If you don't get the email, and it doesn't show up in your RZ account, the transaction might not have been processed properly.

[quote name='mistermoravec']From where did you get the unlock coupon?[/QUOTE]

Mine came with my last issue of @ gamer in the mail, as a single page letter with a barcode at the bottom. The barcode gets you a free year of the magazine and club, which is normally 14.99.

Mine is still not unlocked. I e-mail the RZ CS 3 times and they finally responded. They said they were having issues with the Gamers Club, but they STILL DID NOT UNLOCK IT. IT is a complete mess. I may go back to BB this weekend and see if they can do it. I never got my magazine either.

I still need to get my preorder credit back for GOW3 anyways.

EDIT: I just read the e-mail again from the RZ and it said the following "On 11/18/2011 the website should be updated to the correct information."

Thanks to BB not being able to keep their systems up to date with all of the recent changes, they just gave me $10 for nothing. When I picked up Madden, it put me over the old spend $150 get $10 threshold. The bonus was listed as pending, but I returned Madden a few weeks ago when they couldn't get the pre-order bonuses fixed so I gave up on the buy 5 promotion. My account showed the return, but the bonus was still listed as pending. Today the bonus just posted and I got the 500 points even though I returned the game that gave me the bonus. Guess since they got rid of the GC meter so quick, the system couldn't figure out it should cancel the bonus. Thanks for the free money BB.

[quote name='gossamer']Thanks to BB not being able to keep their systems up to date with all of the recent changes, they just gave me $10 for nothing. When I picked up Madden, it put me over the old spend $150 get $10 threshold. The bonus was listed as pending, but I returned Madden a few weeks ago when they couldn't get the pre-order bonuses fixed so I gave up on the buy 5 promotion. My account showed the return, but the bonus was still listed as pending. Today the bonus just posted and I got the 500 points even though I returned the game that gave me the bonus. Guess since they got rid of the GC meter so quick, the system couldn't figure out it should cancel the bonus. Thanks for the free money BB.[/QUOTE]

I also received a $10 certificate today. I didnt think I hit my $150 before the change but I guess I must have at some point

[quote name='gossamer']Thanks to BB not being able to keep their systems up to date with all of the recent changes, they just gave me $10 for nothing. When I picked up Madden, it put me over the old spend $150 get $10 threshold. The bonus was listed as pending, but I returned Madden a few weeks ago when they couldn't get the pre-order bonuses fixed so I gave up on the buy 5 promotion. My account showed the return, but the bonus was still listed as pending. Today the bonus just posted and I got the 500 points even though I returned the game that gave me the bonus. Guess since they got rid of the GC meter so quick, the system couldn't figure out it should cancel the bonus. Thanks for the free money BB.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure the $10 wasn't because you spent $100 during September?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303363

[quote name='major morgan']Are you sure the $10 wasn't because you spent $100 during September?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303363[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shadowkast']if not this than it would probably be the double points finally catching up. The $10 is there for a reason, they aren't just handing out money[/QUOTE]

No, it's neither of those. I never signed up for the September deal(and didn't spend that much either) and my double points posted in mid Sept. I had a GC bonus pending when I picked up Madden (had 99 points and Madden's 60 put me over 150). I gave up trying to get the pre-order bonus and decided not to do the buy 5 promotion, so I returned my Madden. The return was noted in my rewards account and I figured the GC bonus would disappear since I no longer spent the $150 needed. It never did and yesterday it changed from pending to posted and added the 500 points to my account.

I cant figure out what its for exactly, but i got a $10 cert today too. It definately wasnt for spending $150 on games under the old system. Seems strange a bunch of us just got it and we dont know what for doesnt it?

[quote name='jeebert']I cant figure out what its for exactly, but i got a $10 cert today too. It definately wasnt for spending $150 on games under the old system. Seems strange a bunch of us just got it and we dont know what for doesnt it?[/QUOTE]

This is why:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303363

Some people got the promo even if they didn't sign up for it via the email. It is a $10 bonus cert for October, for spending $100 over September.

I got the run around (and 500 "customer satisfaction" points) from the Best Buy forums telling me just to wait til "mid-October" and that unlocked would show up magically.

Went back to Best Buy again today, and the guy there took 1 look at the receipt, and took me to customer service and fixed it. The site already shows me as unlocked. I'm really glad theres at least one dude working in games that knows his stuff.

[quote name='MrBeatdown']Sounds like crap. 10% off used games is worthless at my Best Buy, seeing as how the used section consists of one rack's worth of overpriced crap.

Guess I need to spend the extra $11 to earn my next $10 cert before September.

And wheeeeee, I get $10 in certificate bonuses for buying $300 worth of games instead of $25. Hooray, progress![/QUOTE]

If they were smart they would allow online used game purchases, with GUARANTEED manual and artwork....something GS doesn't offer.

Earlier in the week I went to the closest store and while there, checked on my Unlocked status. The guy said it was fine even though it wasn't showing up anywhere online, after I handed him my receipt he said yeah it's in there. So I went today to trade some games and asked about the 10% bonus, to which a different guy said it's not there. So, awesome. He advised I call customer service. Should be fun!

Stupid Best Buy.

I had $11 to go to "top off" my account to get my final $10 RZGC certificate, so I bought DXHR back on August 31. Still haven't gotten it.

And I got 59 points for RAGE already, even though it just came out, yet it's missing the double points for RZ.

And on top of that, while taking a closer look, I noticed they deducted and re-awarded points when I did a return/rebuy of Crysis 2 months ago, because they didn't scan my card the first time I bought it. They basically took away points that hadn't even given me.

Not sure if I should bitch on the phone or on their forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back