Best Buy - Reward Zone Mystery Bucks, $5, $20, $50. $500, or $5000 off!

quadomatic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Best Buy is sending out something called Reward Zone Mystery Bucks to its Reward Zone members. If you're not in Reward Zone, you really ought to be. Membership is free now, so your just getting free rewards like this, and bonus points for what you spend. But, I digress.

Reward Zone Mystery Bucks are coupons that are valued at $5, $20, $50, or $5000. Just take it to Best Buy and have a cashier scan the barcode so they can tell you how much it's worth. It's worth at least $5. If you're very lucky (odds of getting anything more than $5 off are VERY low), it may be worth more. Then, you can just come back later and buy stuff and get the discount, but the discount only lasts until before the store closes on December 24th.

Anybody try checking the value of their Best Buy Reward Zone Mystery Bucks yet? I haven't gone to the store yet, so I have no clue. In all likelyhood, its worth $5 ($5 is the guaranteed value).

It's a very nice DEAL (thats right, it's a DEAL, to all you naysayers), since it's basically a stackable $5 off coupon.

I'm sure someone here has one that's worth more than $5 though.

Find out how much yours is worth and let us know. YOU CAN SCAN IT BEFORE YOU BUY SOMETHING! YOU DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT OTHER'S UPCS! It looks like you MAYBE could use this in combination with other coupons too, so good savings right there. But then again, you may not be able to use it in combination, since it is like a coupon. Can anyone shed some light on this?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yea but it won't work for them as I believe you need to scan your reward zone card first then the card...that would be pretty stupid for best buy to send out random gift certificates worth more then 5 dollars to be redeemed by anyone outside of your card. That would be like Publisher's clearance house sending a live check for 2 million dollars in your mail. Without verification, it ain't gonna work.[/quote]
No, actually, my friend took his brother's and used it. They scan it, period. I'm sure for $5000 you *might* need some ID, but I don't think they care much for $5 or $20.

[quote name='mattao18']No, actually, my friend took his brother's and used it. They scan it, period. I'm sure for $5000 you *might* need some ID, but I don't think they care much for $5 or $20.[/QUOTE]

yea the 5k one you are required to call the number before the store can let you use it. I would hate to use it during a transaction of getting money off a cheap dvd, then to find out I can buy a laptop or new tv with it, ...man that line behind me will hate me for it.

i got something frmo best buy today but only some crappy coupons. 10% off video games is the only thing worth mentioning

[quote name='RyuKakashi']i got something frmo best buy today but only some crappy coupons. 10% off video games is the only thing worth mentioning[/quote]

same here:bomb:

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yea but it won't work for them as I believe you need to scan your reward zone card first then the card...that would be pretty stupid for best buy to send out random gift certificates worth more then 5 dollars to be redeemed by anyone outside of your card. That would be like Publisher's clearance house sending a live check for 2 million dollars in your mail. Without verification, it ain't gonna work.[/quote]not unless the person didnt know bc I didnt until I just read this

i haven't gotten mine yet either. after the way they treated me when i tried to get the mario galaxy free $25 gift card deal, i don't want to go there again anytime soon anyway.

[quote name='aktick']I just checked my credit card...about $8500 spent this year at BB...no Mystery Bucks for me. :cry: :bomb:[/quote]

damn $8500? wow did you buy a room filled w/ electronics jk, made my biggest purchase ever @ 1300 for a hdtv and I thought that was a lot...

[quote name='aznguyen316']damn $8500? wow did you buy a room filled w/ electronics jk, made my biggest purchase ever @ 1300 for a hdtv and I thought that was a lot...[/quote]
Ha, more or less...I actually bought an HDTV for myself, and then one for my parents and then one for my sister and her BF when they moved into their new place, so that was about $5500 total. Then a 360, then 2 HD-DVD players, along with plenty of movies and games.

I'm sure my $8500 pales in comparison to what a lot of people around these parts spend.

[quote name='aktick']Ha, more or less...I actually bought an HDTV for myself, and then one for my parents and then one for my sister and her BF when they moved into their new place, so that was about $5500 total. Then a 360, then 2 HD-DVD players, along with plenty of movies and games.

I'm sure my $8500 pales in comparison to what a lot of people around these parts spend.[/quote]

damn, were those all gifts? you're one generous dude. i wish i was related to you, lol

Still nada. Used to be I would prefer BB because I HAD a RZ card. Now I just go where the best deals are.

Suck it BB!!

ugh I got something that says "you have reward certificates. Don't forget to use them..."

I got that but no mystery bucks! why!

[quote name='mofo1115']ugh I got something that says "you have reward certificates. Don't forget to use them..."

I got that but no mystery bucks! why![/QUOTE]

Got the same thing - and I used them already - still waiting...

Originally Posted by mofo1115
ugh I got something that says "you have reward certificates. Don't forget to use them..."

I got that but no mystery bucks! why!

Got the same thing - and I used them already - still waiting...
Just got the same damn thing and no bucks. I havent had a reward coupon in months either.....

[quote name='mofo1115']ugh I got something that says "you have reward certificates. Don't forget to use them..."

I got that but no mystery bucks! why![/quote]

Add me to the list of "received stupid flier, but no mystery bucks."

I got that but no mystery bucks! why![/quote]
Me as well...I thought it was quite the slap in the face. :lol: "Hey, use those RZ certs! That is all."

[quote name='LiK']damn, were those all gifts? you're one generous dude. i wish i was related to you, lol[/quote]

Yeah, but let's just say I owed them for many years of being a pain in their asses, and now that I'm actually making a decent living, I thought I should do them a favor. ;)

[quote name='sumwununknown']i got my mystery buck but i lost my reward zone card, am i still able to cash it in?[/quote]

Sure, they can look up your RZ information when you got to use it.

[quote name='zigg']While the rest of your explanation is spot-on, the T's & C's on my cert say that if I happen to get $5k, I actually have to call in, and they'll send me ten $500 certs that are good through the end of March. Which is okay, I suppose, if I'm allowed to use more than one on a transaction--I can't tell based on my reading.[/quote]

I hadn't read it closely enough to see what the deal is on the $5k ones, because really, how likely am I to scan one of those? Still haven't scanned greater than $5, FWIW.

Also annoying me is this equal-or-greater thing. I can't actually buy a $499.99 item with a $500 cert, it looks like--I'd need to add a pack of gum or something and pay for that out of my own pocket. If I were to get the big cash-in, I'd have some serious calculator-based shopping to do, heh.

Well, the main reason is because the RZ cert any applicable takes off sales tax as well. Let's take a hypothetical$499.99 item. In LA County, that brings it to around $541.24 after tax. If Best Buy didn't nuke the tax when a RZ cert is used, you'd have $41.24 left to pay after using a $500 cert, and you'd be okay.

Because they do, there'd be a penny left over, and it's not like a gift card, where they just leave it on the card. Also, they don't make change on them, probably to prevent people from, say, buying a pack of gum with one of the $500 certs you can get via the RZ MasterCard program and just pocketing the change.

It's less that they're trying to squeeze a little more blood from your turnip, more that they're trying to prevent themselves from getting scammed via RZ certificate usage.

spent my $5 certificate
was gonna get the jam sessions for $19.99 w/ $5 gift card, but they've been out
just went ahead and bought Battlefield 1942 Collection for $4.99 after certificate
oldie but goody :p

They are only giving the mystery bucks to people who don't actually go to Best Buy, right?

I used my reward zone number a LOT recently, I just got crummy 10% off coupons.

[quote name='Sideswiper']They are only giving the mystery bucks to people who don't actually go to Best Buy, right?

I used my reward zone number a LOT recently, I just got crummy 10% off coupons.[/QUOTE]

Same here :(

I'm never there. I've only used the card once, on the night I got it, which I got because they were having a reward night and let me in if I got one. That was at least 6 months ago.

I just got this mystery gift certificate in the mail.

[quote name='Dark niwa']i think your customer "tier" goes up the more fewquently you visit best buy and the more you spend.[/quote]

LOL If they went by just how frequent and numerous your purchases were and NOT by the amount, then they'd have probably sent me a $5k off one for buying about 300 guides from them on numerous occasions.

Either way, the only time I spend ANYTHING there is when it's on a game/movie/cd that I want which is ON SALE that week and that hasn't happened often recently.

Though, I was lucky enough to have my mystery certificate and my card scanned when my one friend was out with me last weekend buying gifts as part of a 'project' at her workplace for an ex co-worker's kids. Her ex co-worker was sent to Iraq and the people in her office decided to chip in and get presents for the kids.

So, her grand total for games and movies @ BB was like $174 and my BF total was $158.99, so yeah, I guess I'm going to be getting my whole $5 RZ certificate soon. Is it just me, or does it take WAYYYYYYY too much in purchases to get a fuckin piddily $5 cert?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] Is it just me, or does it take WAYYYYYYY too much in purchases to get a fuckin piddily $5 cert?[/quote]

It's just you, as they could give us nothing at all like most other stores.

Nice used this today to get family guy vol.5 for $16.23 with $19.99 price adjustment from the circuit city ad and $5 gift card :)

[quote name='lawdood']It's just you, as they could give us nothing at all like most other stores.[/quote]

True, but if I or others who have my spare cards(hehehehehe) spend $300-500, the big reward for doing so is fuckin $5? Gimme a break. Now, maybe like $20, that would be nice, but yeah, they could do like CC and bend us over and give us all we deserve for being devil customers.

So, in the end, $5 is better than nothing, I suppose. But, it's friggin annoying to spend SO much and get back a piddily amount.

bread's done
Back