Best Buy sending out coupon for Gamers Club Unlocked for $60 for 2 years

Isnt buying a game at best buy at $10 with the 20% off almost if not the same as buying a $10 game on amazon with no tax, either way your paying about the same amount arent you? Plus it saves you time and effort of driving to best buy to pick it up. Best Buy rewards net you 2x rewards points with GCU, Amazon rewards card nets you 2x or 3x for every dollar you spend also. I buy games wherever the games are cheap enough for me whether its amazon, best buy, toysrus, target, newegg, etc as long as the price is right. if your price matching a game thats on sale at target or amazon or wherever to best buy that 20% is useless isnt it or do they take both?
Look Im not dissing best buy and Im not saying the $60 for 2 years is a horrible deal or anything I just prefer amazon, saving money or not, Im usually too lazy or too tired from work to drive to best buy anyways. I prefer the $30 for 2 years more, wish they sent me that instead then maybe Id actually buy more games from best buy.
Ok, makes more sense AMZ works better for you but when you kept going back to the "high cost" that`s what thows people off. There`s double dip with the 20% & pm`ing it`s 1 or the other. Also, elite plus is $3500/yr but people who shop AMZ just buy kindle cards from BB to double dip the points & boost the spending total. Using the visa`s can close the rest of the gap. There was an epic deal that allowed tons of CAG`s to get elite plus & get a couple hundred bucks in the process.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/325562-best-buy-5x-points-on-in-store-purchases-friday-through-saturday-30-off-select-3ds-xl-systems/

This is silly. Yeah, that'll get the customers who didn't want to renew at $30 on board - just double the cost and they'll come running!
Maybe BB is smarter than we think but at least we know they`re all in on gaming for sure.

All of this is terrible. So much for treating your customers to the same deals. Now we have 3 different prices for the same service! It's too bad Circuit City isn't around to keep Best Buy in line.
That`s the exact reason why it`s silly for people to want BB to go out of business every other store will get lazy. Target/Walmart are the same, GS won`t be much help, kmart/sears lol, AMZ just matches & TRU deals tend to be off full MSRP. I`d rather pm the TRU gc deals at BB since they take the amount directly off the $60 good way to score new releases for $30-$35.

That`s the exact reason why it`s silly for people to want BB to go out of business every other store will get lazy. Target/Walmart are the same, GS won`t be much help, kmart/sears lol, AMZ just matches & TRU deals tend to be off full MSRP. I`d rather pm the TRU gc deals at BB since they take the amount directly off the $60 good way to score new releases for $30-$35.
Best Buy is arguably the best place to buy games (I'm not even sure it's "arguably"). A shame that so many people just go for the "match" at Amazon - even though that is alot easier (and I'm guilty of it myself sometimes, if I'm worried about something selling out before I can make it to a Best Buy). However if the opportunity is there, I try and make a point to get them at Best Buy whenever I can.

That being said, I think only the most cynical people openly ROOT for Best Buy's demise. However when you look at them, you have to wonder what direction they are going. I know certain locations that cannot possibly be profitable - because the stores are always empty (to the point where I go there at 6pm and they have all the registers roped off - you have to be checked out at customer service). The gaming section is still somewhat healthy, but when you look at how they've obliterated the CD and DVD/blu-ray sections - that is probably the future for gaming media as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Best buy shopper its disappointing to not have received this email offer. I've never been a GCU member but I would join at $60 for 2  years.

Best Buy is far from perfect, but if they go under we are all screwed when it comes to gaming deals.  Walmart has jack squat, deals at Target and Gamestop are few and far between, and all Amazon seems to do is offer lousy gold box deals and PM other retailers (like Best Buy).  Anyone rooting for Best Buy to fail comes across as short-sighted and uninformed.

Best Buy is far from perfect, but if they go under we are all screwed when it comes to gaming deals. Walmart has jack squat, deals at Target and Gamestop are few and far between, and all Amazon seems to do is offer lousy gold box deals and PM other retailers (like Best Buy). Anyone rooting for Best Buy to fail comes across as short-sighted and uninformed.
Well, I have always wanted them to fail cause they've never hired me, especially when the people who work at my location are dipshits and have no knowledge of technology. But I'd feel bad cause my friend actually has a career with them.

Best Buy is arguably the best place to buy games (I'm not even sure it's "arguably"). A shame that so many people just go for the "match" at Amazon - even though that is alot easier (and I'm guilty of it myself sometimes, if I'm worried about something selling out before I can make it to a Best Buy). However if the opportunity is there, I try and make a point to get them at Best Buy whenever I can.

That being said, I think only the most cynical people openly ROOT for Best Buy's demise. However when you look at them, you have to wonder what direction they are going. I know certain locations that cannot possibly be profitable - because the stores are always empty (to the point where I go there at 6pm and they have all the registers roped off - you have to be checked out at customer service). The gaming section is still somewhat healthy, but when you look at how they've obliterated the CD and DVD/blu-ray sections - that is probably the future for gaming media as well.
I really don`t get the "ease" factor just order online for shipping or in-store p/u. People go for the match but what happens when there`s no one to match. Then you`ll see the same people complaining away.
I hope they add a discount club for dvds/blus would be nice to get 10%-20% off sale prices on day 1. I want physical but they should also offer digital at a discount too.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/IdeaX/article-id/945/page/2?device-view=desktop

As a Best buy shopper its disappointing to not have received this email offer. I've never been a GCU member but I would join at $60 for 2 years.
Think about it you never paid for GC when it was $15 & had you been a consitant member you`d have gotten the $30 offer. So why would they think you`d pay $60 or $120. It pays to be an early adopter with any BB offer that`s the one thing they get right.

Best Buy is bumming me out by still having Tomb Raider listed as being released on 2/4. Really wanna use this coupon on it. I'll probably check in store anyway tomorrow or Wednesday, but I don't have high hopes for them getting it.

Edit: Posted this in the wrong thread. Damn my multiple tabs. At least one person saw this and agreed..

Best Buy is bumming me out by still having Tomb Raider listed as being released on 2/4. Really wanna use this coupon on it. I'll probably check in store anyway tomorrow or Wednesday, but I don't have high hopes for them getting it.
like wtf people are saying gamestop had it out on sunday. if i just didnt get the GCU i'd just buy it.

One quick phone call tonight to Best Buy has paid off.  Thanks to someone saying to call 1-888-412-4858 as I've just received via email the $30 Gamers Club Unlocked Renewal Coupon.  Even better this coupon says it's good for 2 years for $30.  Maybe I missed that in this thread but $30 for 2 years is awesome.  Funny thing was the lady who answered right away said the only thing she could help me with is the $30 coupon.  I told her I never got an email for this and she said no problem what's your email address and she emailed it right out to me.  I'd highly recommend calling this number as this was as easy as could be.  Now off to the store tomorrow to gladly give them my $30 and this coupon to renew my membership.

You are awesome. I had made requests through their web support as well as their forums. But was turned down each time. One quick call to the number you provided and in two minutes it was resolved. Code should be in my email any minute.

I am a happy CAG right now.

One quick phone call tonight to Best Buy has paid off. Thanks to someone saying to call 1-888-412-4858 as I've just received via email the $30 Gamers Club Unlocked Renewal Coupon. Even better this coupon says it's good for 2 years for $30. Maybe I missed that in this thread but $30 for 2 years is awesome. Funny thing was the lady who answered right away said the only thing she could help me with is the $30 coupon. I told her I never got an email for this and she said no problem what's your email address and she emailed it right out to me. I'd highly recommend calling this number as this was as easy as could be. Now off to the store tomorrow to gladly give them my $30 and this coupon to renew my membership.

You are awesome. I had made requests through their web support as well as their forums. But was turned down each time. One quick call to the number you provided and in two minutes it was resolved. Code should be in my email any minute.

Were you guys both previous members? I wonder if I can ask for one even though I was never an unlocked member lol

Were you guys both previous members? I wonder if I can ask for one even though I was never an unlocked member lol
Didn't work for me. I was never a member, but am elite.

Also, just found out that as of July of last year you don't accrue best buy points if you use your card for financing. That's freaking lame.

One quick phone call tonight to Best Buy has paid off. Thanks to someone saying to call 1-888-412-4858 as I've just received via email the $30 Gamers Club Unlocked Renewal Coupon. Even better this coupon says it's good for 2 years for $30. Maybe I missed that in this thread but $30 for 2 years is awesome. Funny thing was the lady who answered right away said the only thing she could help me with is the $30 coupon. I told her I never got an email for this and she said no problem what's your email address and she emailed it right out to me. I'd highly recommend calling this number as this was as easy as could be. Now off to the store tomorrow to gladly give them my $30 and this coupon to renew my membership.
I will make this call today. I haven't received any emails about the $30 and $60 coupons.

Edit: I made the call. In less than 5 minutes, a rep sent the $30 coupon. It's good until 2/10/14. I would have gone today but it's -20 degrees so I'll try sometime next week.

I will make this call today. I haven't received any emails about the $30 and $60 coupons.

Edit: I made the call. In less than 5 minutes, a rep sent the $30 coupon. It's good until 2/10/14. I would have gone today but it's -20 degrees so I'll try sometime next week.
I also had success with this! Thanks!

What's the requirement to get a $30 coupon? Is it open to anyone or is it only open to people that have been a prior member?

Edit: Just read a post above saying it's a renewal. I guess you have to be a member.

I wanted to thank you for this bit of information. I called the number and spoke politely and honestly. I got a $30 coupon. I'll explain below.

What's the requirement to get a $30 coupon? Is it open to anyone or is it only open to people that have been a prior member?

Edit: Just read a post above saying it's a renewal. I guess you have to be a member.
After calling that number, I simply stated I have not been receiving offers or communications from Best Buy, possibly from opting out of comms some time ago. I said I was particularly interested in the Gamer's Club unlocked emails that were being sent out - that's all I said. She understood immediately about the GCU "code" as she called it. I did mention I was a Best Buy Elite member and would like to receive comms regarding the GCU. After doing the usual confirm ID stuff, she said she would look into it. After maybe 2 minutes of silence of her looking into the GCU "codes" she said she has the code for me and will send it to my e-mail I confirmed earlier. She told me to check my email, however I did not receive anything. She told me I can just give the BBY rep the coupon number and it should work so she gave me the digits of the coupon code. Since I had no details on what this coupon was for ($30 or $60 offer) I asked how much for a subscription the coupon was for. She put me on hold to check and came back to tell me it was for $30. Yay! I then provided a 2nd email for her to resend the coupon code since it had not come into my normal BBY email and thanked her again for her help.

About 10 minutes after hanging up I got the same $30 coupon code she provided me over the phone to both my emails. It was indeed the $30 renewal coupon. So I will definitely be using this as I didn't want to pay much more than this nor buy one off another member. As far as I remember, I am only a Gamer's club member, never a GCU. I am also an elite plus member. I simply called to ask about receiving GCU email promos (I didn't even request for a coupon, just a matter of not receiving GCU emails that have been sent out) and she very nicely gave me a coupon. I was surprised, not even expecting a $60 coupon. I was very straight up and honest about my inquiry as well.

At least you were honest. It's weak that anybody that wasn't GCU before would get this. I'm sure I'm not the only one that shares this sentiment.

At least you were honest. It's weak that anybody that wasn't GCU before would get this. I'm sure I'm not the only one that shares this sentiment.
I`m thinking this $60 offer maybe targeted at people who reached a certain spending threshold on just games. Get them locked in BB for 2 yrs then once it runs out people will realize the $120 isn`t really that bad. The pricing was based on a person buying a single issue of @gamer each month.

so i'm reading the coupon right now. it just gives you 2 years of GCU for $30. it doesn't say you had to be a previous member. i received the coupon from calling the number in this thread. hope that clears it up for people.

so i'm reading the coupon right now. it just gives you 2 years of GCU for $30. it doesn't say you had to be a previous member. i received the coupon from calling the number in this thread. hope that clears it up for people.
It should work just fine if you have never been a member before. But the email that the coupon originally came in, definitely was intended for current subscribers...

"Because you're a valuable member, we want you to keep enjoying these benefits. Use this single-use coupon in store to get a 2-year Gamers Club Unlocked membership extension (on top of your current expiration date) for $30."

Good. That's the way it's supposed to be.
I do gobs amount of business with them already as non-GCU so what does it matter? I probably pay the discounts for 2-5 GCU members alone. Besides, if I did get the email, it would just be a monstrous case of Moore's Law anyway. Not like Best Buy is loosing any more money from me. Not here to read moral criticism.

I do gobs amount of business with them already as non-GCU so what does it matter? I probably pay the discounts for 2-5 GCU members alone. Besides, if I did get the email, it would just be a monstrous case of Moore's Law anyway. Not like Best Buy is loosing any more money from me. Not here to read moral criticism.

That's nice of you and all but it doesn't change the fact that the coupon was meant for previous exiting GCU members. The program is supposed to be $120 for new enrollees. If everybody used the coupon, it would actually kill off the program pretty quickly.

I'm not going to argue since I was fortunate to receive a coupon. However, I have seen plenty GCU members get double coupons both physical mail and email and then redeem one and sell off the other for profit to non GCU people, so I don't see a problem with people receiving offers as this program is already being abused by the "real" members. Plus the $60 one seems to be out for anyone randomly.

They`re getting a ton a negative feedback for this won`t last long before they go back
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/Don-t-Take-Away-Reward-Zone-Points-For-Special-Financing/idi-p/719381
Good they should, I only found out today when I noticed my points from a $2500 projector hadn't posted. I'd have just taken the points instead of the financing if it was ever explained that it was one or the other. Actually, I'd have just bought elsewhere if I had realized you didn't get both.

fuck Best Buy. Seriously, I never get any of this shit. What do you have to do to get all these good emails, buy from their site religiously?

fuck Best Buy. Seriously, I never get any of this shit. What do you have to do to get all these good emails, buy from their site religiously?
Do you shop at BB regularly?
If so, post feedback on the forums page & speak with a mod to see if it`s a tech error.

I'm glad to read so many other positive posts about this working out for others. I went in today to renew with the coupon and the Best Buy employee who rang me up said wow this is a really good deal so I told him to call in as well and he said thanks I'll definitely do that. Great to have this forum that we can all share the good and bad of this hobby. Looks like I'll be spending more time and money at Best Buy now with the continued 20% off any new game deal.

I called in and asked about the coupon.  He said what triggered it being sent out was the purchase of video games in December.  I bought PS4 games in December.  He put me on hold for several minutes and emailed a coupon to me. 

I have a $60 for 2 years if somebody wants it. I'd really like to trade it for the $20 off live coupon if someone has it.  I'll take other offers too. If I don't unload it in a couple days I'll post it on here for free. 

For people who signed up for GCU: Do you receive some kind of email confirmation within a few days? I have my receipt but I haven't heard anything more after signing up.

bread's done
Back