Best Buy Trade and Save - Trade DVDs for $5 towards Blus 5/8/11-6/4/11

Invicta 61

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Trade in your DVDs for $5 towards select Blurays.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Movies+Promotions/null/pcmcat240800050005.c?id=pcmcat240800050005

I noticed a sign out front of my local Best Buy
advertising this offer. I didn't see a thread for this so I decided to bring it to everyone's attention.
------------------------------------------
Thanks to FlamedLiquid we have a price list.

Prices before $5 coupon:

$9.99

Righteous Kill
RoboCop
RunDown
12 Monkeys
Hoosiers
Inside Man
Tears of the Sun
Terminator
Kingdom
Traitor
Men In Black
X-Files: Fight the Future
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
XXX: State of the Union
Napoleon Dynamite
You Don't Mess With the Zohan
Office Space
Donnie Darko
Pandorum
Predator
Quick and the Dead
Road House

Gamer
Goodfellas
Heat
Rudy
Hitman
Sherlock Holmes
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
I Robot
Alien Vs. Predator
Independence Day
Inglorious Basterds 2 Disc
Street Kings
Army of Darkness
Taxi Driver
AVP 2
Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D
Terminator: Salvation
Barbwire
Three Kings
Batman: The Dark Knight
Town 1 Disc
Batman Begins
Training Day
Blood Diamond
Land of the Lost
Book of Eli
Troy Dir Cut
True Romance UR
Twister
Clash of the Titans
Contact
Matrix Reloaded
Couples Retreat 2 disc
Crank 2
Whip It
The Wrestler
The Departed
Live Free/Die Hard
Ninja Assassin
Donnie Brasco
Edge of Darkness
Full Metal Jacket
Funny People

Raging Bull
007: Die Another Day
Green Zone
007: For Your Eyes Only
Gullivers Travels
007: License to Kill
Ronin
007: Live & Let Die
Hereafter 1 Disc
007: Moonraker
Saw: Final Chapter
127 Hours + Dig Copy
Hot Tub Time Machine
8 Mile
Shrek the Third
Alice In Wonderland 60th Anniversary
Silence of the Lambs
I Spit on Your Grave (2011)
Skyline
American Beauty
Social Network
An American Werewolf in London
Taken
A-Team W/Dig Copy
Its Kind of a Funny Story
Backdraft
Justified: 1st Season
Bambi
Kick-Ass Combo Pack
Killers
Kingdom of Heaven Dir Cut
Toy Story 3 (2 Disc)
Black Swan + Dig Copy
Knight & Day BD + DVD + DC
Law Abiding Citizen
Boondock Saints
Legends of the Guardians: Owls 1 Disc
Brooklyn's Finest
Let Me In
Burlesque (BD + DVD)
Life as We Know It 1 Disc
U-571
Cars (BD + DVD)
Love & Other Drugs + Dig Copy
Unstoppable + Dig Copy
Cars Toon: Mater's Tall Combo Pack
Madagascar BD/DVD Combo
Valkyrie
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa BD/DVD Combo
Waiting for Superman
Walk the Line
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps w/DC
Middle Men
Crazies
Monsters Vs. Aliens BD/DVD Combo
Crazy Heart
Moulin Rogue
Date Night
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
My Soul to Take
Daybreakers
Next Three Days
Due Date 1 Disc
Patton
Faster
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Predators
From Paris with Love
Frozen

Wolfman (2010)
Out of Sight

The $14.99 titles highlighted in blue are cheaper in the DVD2BLU promotion for Warner Brothers (if you get the free shipping).
Thread link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260736

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Justified Season 1 due to all the positive feedback in this forum. $15 for a BD season is a fantastic deal even if I don't dig it.

I also picked up Predator (with X-Men First Class movie ticket) for $5 after a minor hassle. Since the cover looks slightly different than the other version of Predator on Blu, the cashier almost wouldn't let me get it for the price. He actually went and got the one without the ticket and tried to get me to buy that instead. I told him they're the same movie and finally got the awesome price.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Another question, I want to get mr. and mrs. smith and notice target is selling it at 16.99. Would it be possible for me to print the price out , pm it at best buy and do dvd trade in for 11.99? Since I doubt they would let me pm, use fox coupon and dvd trade in. or would it work?[/QUOTE]
Definitely YMMV. I got turned down as they think it's double-dipping. :cry:

I hate Best Buy sometimes ... got turned down on PMing their own website for the Quick & the Dead bluray. Told me I could use the coupon or PM ... not both ... even though it's their own damn website.

Now I'm stuck with 4 of these stupid coupons, as I was so pissed off after arguing with a "manager" that I decided not to buy anything for the time being.

Anyone know if the list of blu-rays will be updated between now and the end of this promotion, or is it pretty much set as-is until the end?

If anyone is having issues with BB PMing their own website for Office Space/Q&tD call up the the 800 number and you should get the issue fixed. Here is my story (that I posted in another thread). This happened on Friday:

Oh boy what a day...I went in to get three movies (Office Space, Predators-with X-Men cash, and Men in Black). I went to the service desk with the 3 movies and my 3 DVDs to trade in. I told her that Office Space was $7.99 on the website so I want to price match it and then use my $5 coupon, which you/Best Buy gave me.

She spoke to a woman behind the counter on a computer that I couldn't see well. She said that I could do one or the other, either $2 off or $5 off, not both. I was like "what? I am trying to match YOUR price, not another competitors price. They would not budge which really annoyed me, but I am like it's only $2 whatever.

I went to the kiosk to print a $10 certificate to use on the three movies, but the website wasn't loading so I decided to call the premiere silver number to ask them to make a certificate for me, I then told her about the situation and she understood why I was so annoyed. She said she would speak to the customer service person who denied me the price match.

I gave the woman in the story the phone and they spoke for a few minutes. I got the phone back and I was told by the Reward Zone woman that she wouldn't budge and that she would give me $30 in reward zone certificates for all the issues I am going through over a measly $2. I was not expecting that at all, but I was very pleased by that.

She then transfered me to a customer relations person who actually deals with the stores directly and I told him the situation and he asked what store I was at and he called and spoke to the manager directly and finally got the adjustment.

The most insane thing was on the way to the register the woman who was denying me said that it was a one time exception and that they were marking me in my account. I was really shocked by this, why are they making me out to be like a criminal/cheater for just asking them to accept their own policy. When I got home I called the Premiere Silver support line to ask about this "mark on my account" they said they were doing. According to the guy I spoke with he said my account was clean and there is no way for them to mark my account without him seeing. They may mark it on a piece of paper they have, but as far as system wide goes there is nothing there.

In the end I got all 3 movies for $3.50 (after $10 rewards) and $30 in bonus certificates for the hassle. All over two freakin dollars.

wow! damn!.. thats a lot of work. But I guess thats why they gave you the $30. I wonder if they REALLY have a paper with your name on it for "next-time" purchase.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']If anyone is having issues with BB PMing their own website for Office Space/Q&tD call up the the 800 number and you should get the issue fixed. Here is my story (that I posted in another thread). This happened on Friday:

Oh boy what a day...I went in to get three movies (Office Space, Predators-with X-Men cash, and Men in Black). I went to the service desk with the 3 movies and my 3 DVDs to trade in. I told her that Office Space was $7.99 on the website so I want to price match it and then use my $5 coupon, which you/Best Buy gave me...............

From what the guy told me when I called him when I got home that there is nothing in their system that shows any info on my account and if the store itself has a list with my name on it then it goes against their policy. In fact I am on this list because they refused to do their job and I had to get two people involved to get them to do it.

I never understood why worst buy makes this big deal over price matching when they practically plaster it in the ads, online and in-store, only for managers to act like your taking money out of their pockets :roll:

Wow, with customer service like this Best Buy is going to be the next major retailer to fall. They are already having trouble and what's worse is that they are the last electronics speacialty store nationwide. They need to be kissing there customers asses and come out with a store nation wide customer service iniciative like Wal-Marts recently "Just Match it". It comes down to losers having a power trip of their own that ends up hurting Best Buy. Even someone from their own companies customer service could not get them to budge? Ridiculous...That's why I gave up on Best Buy, Amazon is way better customer service.

I agree that overall amazon customer service is better, but I've had some issues with them too. I once traded in a game I got from Blockbuster and they sent it back saying it was damaged. Granted this is from NorAm, but amazon still is their partner in this. I get the game back, the case is cracked like it was stabbed with a screw driver, the cover art is ripped, and so is the plastic covering the art on the case. I was like WTF THIS IS NOT THE GAME I SENT and if it is then it was damaged by not me. I have traded in dozens of games and none of them were ever like this.

The first person (overseas support) was like "you can re-submit the trade in at the lower price ($10 instead of the $16 it was) but it still has a chance of being rejected" well of course it's gonna be rejected now...the game is destroyed. I call in and again and get someone in the states and they give me $30 (double the TIV) for my problems plus I get to keep the games. Overall it worked out well, but was still a hassle.

Same thing with Best Buy. I have never ever had an issue with calling them, in fact I've gotten close to $100-200 worth of free points for issues with their site/stores. The issue with BB is the store and I hate going to my local BB because of that.

Make sure you have them scan the item before you even mention a BB website price match. I complicated everything by bringing that up. Turns out everything scanned at the website price anyway, so the whole back-and-forth with the managers over coupon policy ended up being a huge waste of time.

I picked up Office Space, Rundown and Justified S1. Traded in the DVD copies of the first 2, plus MiB (Blu price on that went way back up, boo). Kept my Army of Darkness Director's Cut Official Bootleg Edition because the Blu features suck in comparison, will probably bring a couple more old movies in tomorrow and get Traitor & X-Files for $5 apiece. I was pretty shocked at the list of special features on the X-Files Blu.

Has anyone tried any blus that are NOT on the list? I'm curious as to whether the coupon they scan will take $5 off any blu automatically...

BTW they seem to have added at least a couple of movies - Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader is now on there, and was marked on sale at $16.99 so I got it for $11.99.

[quote name='karkyco']Has anyone tried any blus that are NOT on the list? I'm curious as to whether the coupon they scan will take $5 off any blu automatically...

BTW they seem to have added at least a couple of movies - Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader is now on there, and was marked on sale at $16.99 so I got it for $11.99.[/QUOTE]

doesnt work. I bought 5 qualifying titles along with 3 nonqualifying titles. Cashier rang all 8 up in the same order and it applied the coupon to the qualifying titles.

[quote name='karkyco']Has anyone tried any blus that are NOT on the list? I'm curious as to whether the coupon they scan will take $5 off any blu automatically...
[/QUOTE]
Tried it with Little Miss Sunshine (not on the list) regular $9.99.

The coupon will scan, but it won't discount it. The $5 coupon will be displayed on the receipt, but the item will still be at full price. Still paid $9.99 for the movie. Ended up taking it back to customer service for an exchange.

Went to two stores today an finally found a copy of Predator with the X-men movie cash. Also upgraded my dvd versions of The Terminator and Donnie Darko.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I won't waste my time then with blus not on the list :lol:. I've actually been trading in freebie/bonus dvds via this deal - made copies of the cover art and been using throwaway cases but they've been taking them (usually I'll trade in 2 or 3 bonus/freebie discs with 2 regular DVD discs). I've unloaded 4 of the 300 Preview DVD discs that came with movie cash.

One store denied me because they thought they were "burned/bootleg" but these are legitimate, studio produced and manufactured DVDs that should qualify. The store manager told me that they're going to be reselling and/or renting these :roll:, but who the hell knows.

BTW they seem to have added at least a couple of movies - Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader is now on there, and was marked on sale at $16.99 so I got it for $11.99.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Thanks for the heads up on Dawn Treader. I completely forgot that movie even came out. $11.99 would be great.

Planning on taking

:dvd: The Fast and the Furious
:dvd: Tears of the Sun
:dvd: Dawn of the Dead
:dvd: Office Space
:dvd: Napoleon Dynamite

and getting

:br: Tears of the Sun
:br: Dawn of the Dead
:br: Office Space
:br: Men in Black
:br: The Kingdom

Hopefully it goes smoothly since the closest Best Buy for me is an hour drive away. Luckily I already had a trip planned so I can just do this on my way.

[quote name='karkyco']

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully I will get a chance to check out the BB website and update the price list tonight.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Make sure you have them scan the item before you even mention a BB website price match. I complicated everything by bringing that up. Turns out everything scanned at the website price anyway, so the whole back-and-forth with the managers over coupon policy ended up being a huge waste of time.[/QUOTE]

That's what I did. Office Space scanned at $9.99, which is when I said the website was $7.99 and thus started the chaos.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']If anyone is having issues with BB PMing their own website for Office Space/Q&tD call up the the 800 number and you should get the issue fixed. Here is my story (that I posted in another thread). This happened on Friday:

Oh boy what a day...I went in to get three movies (Office Space, Predators-with X-Men cash, and Men in Black). I went to the service desk with the 3 movies and my 3 DVDs to trade in. I told her that Office Space was $7.99 on the website so I want to price match it and then use my $5 coupon, which you/Best Buy gave me.

She spoke to a woman behind the counter on a computer that I couldn't see well. She said that I could do one or the other, either $2 off or $5 off, not both. I was like "what? I am trying to match YOUR price, not another competitors price. They would not budge which really annoyed me, but I am like it's only $2 whatever.

I went to the kiosk to print a $10 certificate to use on the three movies, but the website wasn't loading so I decided to call the premiere silver number to ask them to make a certificate for me, I then told her about the situation and she understood why I was so annoyed. She said she would speak to the customer service person who denied me the price match.

I gave the woman in the story the phone and they spoke for a few minutes. I got the phone back and I was told by the Reward Zone woman that she wouldn't budge and that she would give me $30 in reward zone certificates for all the issues I am going through over a measly $2. I was not expecting that at all, but I was very pleased by that.

She then transfered me to a customer relations person who actually deals with the stores directly and I told him the situation and he asked what store I was at and he called and spoke to the manager directly and finally got the adjustment.

The most insane thing was on the way to the register the woman who was denying me said that it was a one time exception and that they were marking me in my account. I was really shocked by this, why are they making me out to be like a criminal/cheater for just asking them to accept their own policy. When I got home I called the Premiere Silver support line to ask about this "mark on my account" they said they were doing. According to the guy I spoke with he said my account was clean and there is no way for them to mark my account without him seeing. They may mark it on a piece of paper they have, but as far as system wide goes there is nothing there.

In the end I got all 3 movies for $3.50 (after $10 rewards) and $30 in bonus certificates for the hassle. All over two freakin dollars.[/QUOTE]

i did this and they continued to argue with me.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Make sure you have them scan the item before you even mention a BB website price match. I complicated everything by bringing that up. Turns out everything scanned at the website price anyway, so the whole back-and-forth with the managers over coupon policy ended up being a huge waste of time.[/QUOTE]

so, the items scan at the website price without any issues?

[quote name='blindinglights']Men in Black rang up $14.99 not $9.99 like listed in the OP. $31 for five movies still wasn't that bad. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

may have went up in price. It was 9.99. Got it last week.

[quote name='Animal7390']i did this and they continued to argue with me.

so, the items scan at the website price without any issues?[/QUOTE]

So you called the 800 numbers and they even told you that it couldn't be done or they said it could be done but the stores refused to honor it?

In the end I got all 3 movies for $3.50 (after $10 rewards) and $30 in bonus certificates for the hassle. All over two freakin dollars.[/QUOTE]

When in doubt bitch and moan is the moral of this story.

I guess you didn't read the story...so good job on your part. I never called to complain, just to get a certificate printed. I then simply told the woman on the phone the situation, she asked to speak with the person at the store who denied me, she was then denied by the store, as an apology without me asking she offered me $30 in rewards. She then transfered me to a specialist who deals with the stores directly who called the store and got the adjustment. I never once bitched and moaned.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Is it worth it to upgrade to BR version of The Dark Knight if I already own the DVD?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Is it worth it to upgrade to BR version of The Dark Knight if I already own the DVD?[/QUOTE]

yes, especially if you can get it for 4.99

One quick question - Do the movies have to have a UPC code? I have some DVDs that came free with some action figures (GI Joe/Transformers) that are legit-looking, but lack a barcode. Think it will work? Or should I sneak in some regular movies too?

[quote name='jupiterjones']One quick question - Do the movies have to have a UPC code? I have some DVDs that came free with some action figures (GI Joe/Transformers) that are legit-looking, but lack a barcode. Think it will work? Or should I sneak in some regular movies too?[/QUOTE]

When I turned my movies in all the CSR did was look to make sure the discs matched the cases. Nothing was ever scanned. But that's not to say that's how it's done for sure.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']When I turned my movies in all the CSR did was look to make sure the discs matched the cases. Nothing was ever scanned. But that's not to say that's how it's done for sure.[/QUOTE]

Same here - but YMMV I suppose. I traded in 2 of those old 2-Movies on 1 disc in the slim cases you find at dollar stores, no trouble - but both did have UPC's.

[quote name='jupiterjones']One quick question - Do the movies have to have a UPC code? I have some DVDs that came free with some action figures (GI Joe/Transformers) that are legit-looking, but lack a barcode. Think it will work? Or should I sneak in some regular movies too?[/QUOTE]

It's definitely YMMV. I had one store where one CSR was about to just hand me a stack of the fucking discount coupons, and the other CSR said "nope we have to do this by the book" and proceeded to attempt to scan in and go over with a fine toothed comb every single DVD I was trading in, and wouldn't take a couple because they were the bonus discs that I had printed inserts out for. All for a $5 off a blu coupon :roll: and for discs they are most likely going to recycle and get a hefty sum/tax credit for doing.

I would also check out the ebay/amazon prices on those GI Joe/Transformers discs of yours, some of those pack ins are worth some money.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']So you called the 800 numbers and they even told you that it couldn't be done or they said it could be done but the stores refused to honor it?[/QUOTE]

they told me it couldnt be done based on wording in the coupon. not combined with sale items. well, the item is on sale, just a different sale price.

also, can anyone verify that the instore scan prices for quick and dead and office space are the same as online.

[quote name='Animal7390']they told me it couldnt be done based on wording in the coupon. not combined with sale items. well, the item is on sale, just a different sale price.

also, can anyone verify that the instore scan prices for quick and dead and office space are the same as online.[/QUOTE]

Ah that is what I was worried about being denied for, but my defense for that was "the movie is on sale now for $10 and it brings it down to $5, so apparently it does work on sale items as per your own system" But it never came to that.

[quote name='karkyco']BTW they seem to have added at least a couple of movies - Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader is now on there, and was marked on sale at $16.99 so I got it for $11.99.[/QUOTE]

Narnia was $19.99 here. I'm torn -- $14.99 for it isn't so bad, especially given how recent a release it is, and my girlfriend has been bugging me to get it. But I really don't want to have to store that larger box (and have no interest in the DVD, digital copy, or other extra crap), and from what I've heard, the packaging is really annoying. I wish the blu-ray only version in a regular blu-ray case was more common -- so far, I've only seen it at Wal-Mart (might be an exclusive?) and it was $20 there.

I talked to a friend yesterday whose wife works at a moviestop. evidently, they got a corporate email that directed them to take as many crappy $1 dvds to BB as possible and pick up specific cheap dvds in order to send them back to the manufacturer and get full credit applied back to moviestop to buy new dvds... On the one hand, that's shady as shit for a corporation, but it's also funny that they are basically sticking it to BB on their own promotion! :)

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I talked to a friend yesterday whose wife works at a moviestop. evidently, they got a corporate email that directed them to take as many crappy $1 dvds to BB as possible and pick up specific cheap dvds in order to send them back to the manufacturer and get full credit applied back to moviestop to buy new dvds... On the one hand, that's shady as shit for a corporation, but it's also funny that they are basically sticking it to BB on their own promotion! :)[/QUOTE]

Not only is that extremely shady, but the part where they're sending them back to the manufacturers for credit is more than likely fraud. They had better hope that Best Buy and/or the manufacturers don't find out about this plan. If I were your friend's wife, I'd be looking for another job and definitely not participating or doing anything else to implicate myself.

[quote name='arcane93']Not only is that extremely shady, but the part where they're sending them back to the manufacturers for credit is more than likely fraud. They had better hope that Best Buy and/or the manufacturers don't find out about this plan. If I were your friend's wife, I'd be looking for another job and definitely not participating or doing anything else to implicate myself.[/QUOTE]

Of course it's shady, but how is it any different really than buying these to resell for a profit or "flipping." Or a customer returning a sealed copy of a movie to somewhere that they had paid more in the past? Just because it's a big corporation doesn't make it less ethical. I wonder how they would hide these transactions in their accounting though? They probably only get new movies from wholesalers and sales of those new movies are probably logged. Are they going to have some ledger for "Best Buy sales/scams"?

Did anyone else get crappy xeroxes as a coupon? I brought in a stack of 5 DVDs, some not having UPCs, and got 5 coupons...all simple blurry photocopies.

They worked both at that BB and another BB.

I'm surprised, as this makes them super-easy for someone with flexible ethics to duplicate.

bread's done
Back