Best Buy Trade and Save - Trade DVDs for $5 towards Blus 5/8/11-6/4/11

Invicta 61

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Trade in your DVDs for $5 towards select Blurays.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Movies+Promotions/null/pcmcat240800050005.c?id=pcmcat240800050005

I noticed a sign out front of my local Best Buy
advertising this offer. I didn't see a thread for this so I decided to bring it to everyone's attention.
------------------------------------------
Thanks to FlamedLiquid we have a price list.

Prices before $5 coupon:

$9.99

Righteous Kill
RoboCop
RunDown
12 Monkeys
Hoosiers
Inside Man
Tears of the Sun
Terminator
Kingdom
Traitor
Men In Black
X-Files: Fight the Future
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
XXX: State of the Union
Napoleon Dynamite
You Don't Mess With the Zohan
Office Space
Donnie Darko
Pandorum
Predator
Quick and the Dead
Road House

Gamer
Goodfellas
Heat
Rudy
Hitman
Sherlock Holmes
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
I Robot
Alien Vs. Predator
Independence Day
Inglorious Basterds 2 Disc
Street Kings
Army of Darkness
Taxi Driver
AVP 2
Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D
Terminator: Salvation
Barbwire
Three Kings
Batman: The Dark Knight
Town 1 Disc
Batman Begins
Training Day
Blood Diamond
Land of the Lost
Book of Eli
Troy Dir Cut
True Romance UR
Twister
Clash of the Titans
Contact
Matrix Reloaded
Couples Retreat 2 disc
Crank 2
Whip It
The Wrestler
The Departed
Live Free/Die Hard
Ninja Assassin
Donnie Brasco
Edge of Darkness
Full Metal Jacket
Funny People

Raging Bull
007: Die Another Day
Green Zone
007: For Your Eyes Only
Gullivers Travels
007: License to Kill
Ronin
007: Live & Let Die
Hereafter 1 Disc
007: Moonraker
Saw: Final Chapter
127 Hours + Dig Copy
Hot Tub Time Machine
8 Mile
Shrek the Third
Alice In Wonderland 60th Anniversary
Silence of the Lambs
I Spit on Your Grave (2011)
Skyline
American Beauty
Social Network
An American Werewolf in London
Taken
A-Team W/Dig Copy
Its Kind of a Funny Story
Backdraft
Justified: 1st Season
Bambi
Kick-Ass Combo Pack
Killers
Kingdom of Heaven Dir Cut
Toy Story 3 (2 Disc)
Black Swan + Dig Copy
Knight & Day BD + DVD + DC
Law Abiding Citizen
Boondock Saints
Legends of the Guardians: Owls 1 Disc
Brooklyn's Finest
Let Me In
Burlesque (BD + DVD)
Life as We Know It 1 Disc
U-571
Cars (BD + DVD)
Love & Other Drugs + Dig Copy
Unstoppable + Dig Copy
Cars Toon: Mater's Tall Combo Pack
Madagascar BD/DVD Combo
Valkyrie
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa BD/DVD Combo
Waiting for Superman
Walk the Line
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps w/DC
Middle Men
Crazies
Monsters Vs. Aliens BD/DVD Combo
Crazy Heart
Moulin Rogue
Date Night
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
My Soul to Take
Daybreakers
Next Three Days
Due Date 1 Disc
Patton
Faster
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Predators
From Paris with Love
Frozen

Wolfman (2010)
Out of Sight

The $14.99 titles highlighted in blue are cheaper in the DVD2BLU promotion for Warner Brothers (if you get the free shipping).
Thread link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260736

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lionheart4life']Of course it's shady, but how is it any different really than buying these to resell for a profit or "flipping."[/QUOTE]

No offense, but you're showing a blatant lack of understanding of how the manufacturer return process works. Stores get stock from a manufacturer on speculation that they'll be able to sell it, and in order to encourage them to order more stock and carry items that they're not certain they can sell, the manufacturers will accept a certain percentage of the unsold stock back in returns. Returning items that weren't obtained from the manufacturer in the first place isn't like "flipping" at all, it's more like return fraud. It would be like you buying a clearance game at Target and returning it to Wal-Mart for full price as if you had bought it from Wal-Mart. Except that in this case, it's on a larger scale, and there are specific contracts in place with the company that the merchandise is being returned to which are more than likely directly being violated.

It's a direct violation of the intent of the manufacturer return policies, so even if ultimately legal action couldn't be taken (though it probably could), it could at the very least result in the manufacturer pulling their contract with the company (essentially leaving the company unable to get any new stock). It's a really stupid move.

Yes, there would be inventories in place for what items the company purchased from the manufacturer previously. Most of these are pretty big titles, though, which the company has probably already sold a fair number of themselves. More than likey, they're returning these in place of copies they've actually sold.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']Narnia was $19.99 here. I'm torn -- $14.99 for it isn't so bad, especially given how recent a release it is, and my girlfriend has been bugging me to get it. But I really don't want to have to store that larger box (and have no interest in the DVD, digital copy, or other extra crap), and from what I've heard, the packaging is really annoying. I wish the blu-ray only version in a regular blu-ray case was more common -- so far, I've only seen it at Wal-Mart (might be an exclusive?) and it was $20 there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry Arcane - I actually found 2 stores that had the sale pricing from last week still up on the shelf for it ($17.99, not $16.99) so I pointed that out and had them adjust it manually to $17.99 - $5 = $12.99

But it originally rang up $19.99. Batman Begins and Dark Knight were both priced $14.99 pre-coupon. I assume the people that got them for $4.99 post-coupon had to have them manually adjusted to match their online price? Or did they ring up at $9.99?

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Did anyone else get crappy xeroxes as a coupon? I brought in a stack of 5 DVDs, some not having UPCs, and got 5 coupons...all simple blurry photocopies.

They worked both at that BB and another BB.

I'm surprised, as this makes them super-easy for someone with flexible ethics to duplicate.[/QUOTE]

Hey Slim, they've handed me a stack of these coupon cards on a couple of trips without even counting them out. As long as they scan, it's all good. No doubt Best Buy is still profiting off of these transactions and moving excess inventory. Someone noted that at least a few of these blus are getting newer/updated releases coming out soon, so I'm sure the studios and Best Buy want this inventory cleared.

[quote name='juzzak1dd']just wanted to let you guys know I was able to get Dark Knight for $4.99[/QUOTE]

sweet. Did it automatically get reduced to 4.99 after coupon or did they have a hassle with it?

[quote name='arcane93']

It's a direct violation of the intent of the manufacturer return policies, so even if ultimately legal action couldn't be taken (though it probably could), it could at the very least result in the manufacturer pulling their contract with the company (essentially leaving the company unable to get any new stock). It's a really stupid move.[/QUOTE]

I would think it was definitely illegal. It's not hard to figure out WHY they're doing it... Evidently, Moviestop is now a totally separate company from GS. The people who were in charge of it inside GS got the money together and actually bought the chain... I'm sure that they're just starting to try to build sales, etc... And I agree it's pretty stupid that they would send out a memo. Any disgruntled employee could start a shitstorm like Moviestop has never seen. I think my friend's wife was pretty pissed about them even asking her to do it, which is why she brought the memo home.

Brought in 5 movies (including 2 without UPCs) and got the promotion with no difficulty. In fact, the girl at the counter had to ask how to process them. Handed over the certificates in short order. Easy peasy.

Got the last copy of Predator that had Xmen movie cash. In fact, it was the only copy of ANYTHING that had movie cash for that movie. If you wanted a free ticket to Bridesmaids though, have at it!

Q: Return Policy

I probably know the answer, but I'm gonna ask anyway: If I returned a Blu-ray that I used the $5 coupon for, would they give me back that extra coupon, or it's likely lost forever and I traded in a movie all for nothing?

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Q: Return Policy

I probably know the answer, but I'm gonna ask anyway: If I returned a Blu-ray that I used the $5 coupon for, would they give me back that extra coupon, or it's likely lost forever and I traded in a movie all for nothing?[/QUOTE]BB doesn't get reimbursed for their internal coupons, so they wouldn't give you the money back.

If it's a manufacturer's coupon, then yes, you'd get the money back on it because Best Buy already has gotten their money back from the manufacturer / vendor.

Um he didn't ask for the money back though...he asked if he would get a coupon back to use on another movie.

I honestly have no idea, but I would think they should, but this is BB, should do and will do are two very different things.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Um he didn't ask for the money back though...he asked if he would get a coupon back to use on another movie.

I honestly have no idea, but I would think they should, but this is BB, should do and will do are two very different things.[/QUOTE]I'd be surprised if they gave him another coupon back without expecting another DVD in trade-in.

He might get the CS rep to use the coupon's value on another movie that it's useable on, though getting another coupon seems unlikely.

Best Buy always surprises me in what they will do and what they won't do.

Used my coupons on Hoosiers, The Kingdom, Contact, XXX State Of The Union, and The Book Of Eli. Also, my copy of The Book of Eli came with a DVD and DC, rang up same price as the normal version and got it for $10, funny that it was hiding behind some normal versions so I imagine someone was hiding it lol.

Traded in Chain Reaction and got Contact for $10. I bought Chain Reaction for $5 at Walmart probably close to a decade ago, kind of strange to think I got a $5 coupon out of it after all this time. I wish they had a broader selection, I'd probably dump 20+ DVDs this way if they did.

Is Live Free or Die Hard $9.99 at your local store or is it just an online price? That's another option to get the X-Men ticket for cheap if it's down to $9.99.

Just a reminder that this deal ends on Saturday, so if you want to pick anything else up, it would be good to do it in the next few days.

Note that there have been some price changes -- most of the James Bond movies have dropped to $14.99 before trade-in (they were $19.99), except for License to Kill, which dropped to $9.99 before trade in. There may well be some other price changes too (I don't have time to go through and check everything), so if there were any titles that you were interested in that you haven't gotten yet, it's worth checking.

I picked up a couple tonight (two of the Bond films), and I asked the customer service lady who helped me if she knew whether they'd be doing an offer like this again. She said that she wasn't sure, but she thought that maybe it was a pilot program to see how it would do. So maybe? I'm hoping so, because this has been a great way to get rid of some of the DVDs that I don't need anymore and pick up some blu-rays that I've wanted cheaply.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Is Live Free or Die Hard $9.99 at your local store or is it just an online price?[/QUOTE]

For the most part, any online price on the Best Buy website should be in-store as well. On the rare occasion that it hasn't been, I've usually had good luck with getting them to match it in-store.

[quote name='ajh2298']Can you do 4 trade-ins at once to get four blu-rays or does it have to be split up over a couple of trade-ins?[/QUOTE]

As it says on the offer page on the Best Buy site that's linked in the OP (*cough*), you can trade in up to five DVDs for up to five coupons at once. There's nothing stopping you from going back with more later, though -- hell, you could probably do five, take the blu-rays that you get out to your car, and then go right back in and do five more for all the employees seem to care.

[quote name='defmonkey05']There's some deals to be had on this. I should jump in.

Inglorious Basterds for $10 is a sweet deal.[/QUOTE]

it was part of the 5 for $20 at blockbuster ;)

I just wish the selection wasn't so crappy ... I would trade all kinds of dvds in if the coupon was for any blu-ray ... as it stands right now, I traded in 4 dvds and actually regret it because I picked up two blu-rays and it feels like I'm just throwing away $10 because nothing else struck me as being a better deal after the $5 discount than just flat out buying it on Amazon. So if anyone from BB reads this ... open it up to any blu-ray or a better selection than what is offered.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Is Live Free or Die Hard $9.99 at your local store or is it just an online price? That's another option to get the X-Men ticket for cheap if it's down to $9.99.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it is. I didn't buy one but I saw the sticker for it in-store.

Decided to do one last trade-in before the deal expires, though I'm hoping they extend it with a better list of the titles next time. I picked up Donnie Darko, Licence to Kill, and The Terminator for $5 each and also Men in Black for $10. I thought MIB was still on sale for $9.99 but after looking at the website, I realized it wasn't anymore.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I was hoping MIB was on sale but it wasn't. Picked up Donnie Darko and Predator for $5 each.[/QUOTE]

Was that this week? Might want to check your receipt, Predator stoped being $9.99 on 5/28, the tag (which was dated as ending on 5/28) on the "Trade and Save" Display still was there so I got a refund for the difference, but yeah might want to double check it rang up $9.99 before the $5 off got applied.

[quote name='ILikeMe1337']Was that this week? Might want to check your receipt, Predator stoped being $9.99 on 5/28, the tag (which was dated as ending on 5/28) on the "Trade and Save" Display still was there so I got a refund for the difference, but yeah might want to double check it rang up $9.99 before the $5 off got applied.[/QUOTE]

I didn't bother looking at the tag and it's kind of too late for that now, especially for $5. But no, MIB was no longer on sale for $9.99. It rang up $14.99 before the $5 got applied.

bread's done
Back