Best Buy Trade-in 4.0 - see new thread (5.0)!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At nearly 300 pages it was time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP IS NO LONGER ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

Do we get Reward Zone points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Lately some people have been told the policy is 1 game per system (i.e. you could trade in 1 copy of a game for Xbox, 1 for PS3 and 1 for Wii), and have been actively turned down when trading in more than one copy. Whether this is actually something they are banning for or if it is just what employees are being told to follow to limit multiples is unknown. Trade multiples at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Metal Gear Rising @ Gamefly to Best Buy

Xbox 9.99GF > 16.00BB
PS3 9.99GF > 15.00BB

Texas Tax makes them $10.81 so about $5.19 profit on the Xbox version and $4.19 on PS3
...Aliens are better than cyborgs, especially green Aliens...

<_<
>_>
>_<

...Aliens are better than cyborgs, especially green Aliens...

<_<
>_>
>_<
You are correct :D

More money in the Aliens

Makes me nervous buying from GF though due to the long shipping time. Could get here Monday which means the TIV might be lower.

More money in the Aliens

Makes me nervous buying from GF though due to the long shipping time. Could get here Monday which means the TIV might be lower.
If you buy at least two games (two copies of a game counts), Gamefly ships them out with Priority shipping, so you would expect them to arrive much quicker than if you bought just one game (in which case GF uses a bubble mailer).

If you buy at least two games (two copies of a game counts), Gamefly ships them out with Priority shipping, so you would expect them to arrive much quicker than if you bought just one game (in which case GF uses a bubble mailer).
Even if you select Standard Shipping which is free?

They have to received by them in 14 days (not just sent out).
I screwed the pooch with my last batch, gf took over 10 days to send me my batch and then the flooding in Colorado delayed everything going east via ground. Thankfully most of the games I originally locked I ended up still taking into the store.

Wow renewing GCU actually worked this time following the steps to whoever posted instructions. Wish this worked before I traded so many games :(

I tried to trade in Madden 25 (PS3) today, and they would only offer me $22.50...and said "the 100% bonus ended last week, so it isnt $45 anymore".  Anyone else had issues with it??

More money in the Aliens

Well, if you want to be tricky about it, buy them from Gamefly, wait 3 or 4 days and buy them from Gamestop and mail those in, return the Gamefly copies to Gamestop.

I tried to trade in Madden 25 (PS3) today, and they would only offer me $22.50...and said "the 100% bonus ended last week, so it isnt $45 anymore". Anyone else had issues with it??
Its still 45 on the BB tradein site. Looks like someone got lazy and decided they did not to do anymore tradeins.

Well lucky fucking you.

I've been applying there, and after two interviews, I still have no confirmation of working there or not. I have to "wait for an email or phone call". Utter bullshit. I know more about any product in their store than anyone in said department. fuckin sad.
Did you interview with the GM for your second interview? If so you're either hired pending the drug test or failed your background check.

So Best Buy just paid me out for the same trade in twice. 

Even though i never even sent it in to them, I traded it into the store instead. 

Black Ops 2 |  2x @ $26.00 a copy. which was literally a month ago. 

I just got a promo email from Best Buy that says I can gift Elite status to three people through 10/31. If you're a thread contributor and want an invite, send me a PM.

Only real perk is free standard shipping on orders < $25.

All gone.

Did you interview with the GM for your second interview? If so you're either hired pending the drug test or failed your background check.

Yeah. With the DM.

So out of the blue I receive a E-GiftCard this morning in my email for 1 of the games I sent in (Happy Feet 2), I never received any confirmation email that they received the game just the giftcard email this morning. Wonder if they're gonna send me a e-gc for the rest of the games I sent in at the same time. I checked online and those other games I sent says "waiting to receive", hope they didn't lose my games.

So out of the blue I receive a E-GiftCard this morning in my email for 1 of the games I sent in (Happy Feet 2), I never received any confirmation email that they received the game just the giftcard email this morning. Wonder if they're gonna send me a e-gc for the rest of the games I sent in at the same time. I checked online and those other games I sent says "waiting to receive", hope they didn't lose my games.
also happened to me. for 3x Nail'd.

I never sent in Nail'd.

And you'll get a another GC for the other trade ins. This whole process is a bit wonky.

For the 2 for 10

Afro Samurai trades for 5.

Does anyone have a list for the rest that trade for 5? I lost my place and I know some one else has done it.

The games that trade for 5 are useful if a store has an odd number of titles you want.

Well lucky fucking you.

I've been applying there, and after two interviews, I still have no confirmation of working there or not. I have to "wait for an email or phone call". Utter bullshit. I know more about any product in their store than anyone in said department. fuckin sad.
Perhaps it's your sweet demeanor that lost the job for you.

So if I submit a trade online then end up taking them to the store (if aliens trade credit holds), do I need to cancel the online submission or just not send them in?

They dropped the value of my mailed in copy of Aliens to 0.25 WTF

What has everyone else done in this situation ?

They also reduced all my other items due to the goddamn UPS being to slow. Sucks to live so far away from their processing center. Amazon say you must mail by date to prevent these kinds of issues.

They also reduced all my other items due to the goddamn UPS being to slow. Sucks to live so far away from their processing center. Amazon say you must mail by date to prevent these kinds of issues.
It literally says if they don't receive it within 14 days your values will be dropped.

Reading is Fundamental.

Unless you can prove they were received within 14 days they have every right to knock the values down.

I wish someone would start a new thread and keep the OP updated. I feel like most of you are speaking a foreign language, I'm so behind.

It took two weeks to get there?

I suggest using the online support form at bestbuy.com/tradein (right side, scroll down a bit) to say you haven't gotten your GC yet--remember to include all the trade-in numbers for each received game in your message body (you're only allowed to enter one in the Trade-In Number field). I sent a message last night about 12 games I hadn't yet received a GC for, and I got "verification confirmation" emails for each game overnight with the message that I should be receiving an e-GC within the next few business days, so they're definitely monitoring messages sent that way.
Thanks man! I had to resort to this since I never got mine either and got a response the next day.

It literally says if they don't receive it within 14 days your values will be dropped.

Reading is Fundamental.

Unless you can prove they were received within 14 days they have every right to knock the values down.
Dude, thanks for being an asshole there buddy. Nothing better than being a pretentious jackass. Reading may be fundamental, but so is being helpful, polite and kind. You're the kind of person that makes me post every flip I can find in public.

And to address your point the game in question is not 0.25 currently. So they didn't process it correctly. And the game is currently at 18$.

It took two weeks to get there?
I had 4 days remaining which under normal circumstances would have been enough, GameFly took forever to deliver as games came from the East Coast. And I usually trade via mail with Amazon which created a false sense of security where the 14 days was concerned. The lesson I learnt from this is to break my GameFly orders up into 2 game orders.

They receive my trades 15 days after the quote was generated. They gave me reduced value. I emailed them about why you reduced me when I sent them within two weeks. They proceeded to outline how I shipped 10 days after the quote was generated and they received it on the 15th day. But as a "one time exception", they gave me full original value for the games.

Yeah this isn't the first "one time exception" I received. Granted my other "one time exception" was for something different.

Obviously the reasoning approach is YMMV.

bread's done
Back