Best Buy Trade-in 4.0 - see new thread (5.0)!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At nearly 300 pages it was time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP IS NO LONGER ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

Do we get Reward Zone points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Lately some people have been told the policy is 1 game per system (i.e. you could trade in 1 copy of a game for Xbox, 1 for PS3 and 1 for Wii), and have been actively turned down when trading in more than one copy. Whether this is actually something they are banning for or if it is just what employees are being told to follow to limit multiples is unknown. Trade multiples at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dranakin']Never thought I'd do this, but I'm gonna trade in some games that have a value of $1, such as AC: Revelations and Twilight Princess. Someone talk me out of this, preferably a method with less hassle than eBay.[/QUOTE]well at least wait till 2/2 just in case the 100% comes back.

[quote name='Dranakin']Never thought I'd do this, but I'm gonna trade in some games that have a value of $1, such as AC: Revelations and Twilight Princess. Someone talk me out of this, preferably a method with less hassle than eBay.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:#You can't be serious.

Take them to GameStop. Use the gift card toward Subway sandwiches or something.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332332

Edit: Because some GSs have Subway gift cards or other stuff.

Depending on what your other games are, you might get enough for a $20 PSN card.

[quote name='Dranakin']Never thought I'd do this, but I'm gonna trade in some games that have a value of $1, such as AC: Revelations and Twilight Princess. Someone talk me out of this, preferably a method with less hassle than eBay.[/QUOTE]
List them on CL and make people pick up.

Looks like 100% is coming back on 2/3. Not even all that appealing though with these low bases. And I seriously doubt anything will go up once it starts.

For those saying they've had their physical card scanned & the 10% bonus not show up, I know the employees at my store have told me that for whatever reason when they scan my card it does NOT pull up my Unlocked. I've done everything I can to try to correct this, but not dice. What I do now is not even show them my card, I have them pull up my account by my phone number which does pull up my Unlocked membership. Strange, but it works. So you just need to make them keep digging in their system until they find your Unlocked, then find out what piece of info you can give them next time to make sure that pulls up.

Tentatively glad to see 100% coming back. I know values have tanked lately, but I'm still hoping for a decent return on Dead Space 3 so I can beat it & trade it back in.

[quote name='argyle']For those saying they've had their physical card scanned & the 10% bonus not show up, I know the employees at my store have told me that for whatever reason when they scan my card it does NOT pull up my Unlocked. I've done everything I can to try to correct this, but not dice. What I do now is not even show them my card, I have them pull up my account by my phone number which does pull up my Unlocked membership. Strange, but it works. So you just need to make them keep digging in their system until they find your Unlocked, then find out what piece of info you can give them next time to make sure that pulls up.[/QUOTE]What was strange with my last trade-in is that the employee looked up my account information like he did for my last transaction, but no matter how many times he "found" me and confirmed my account, the 10% GCU bonus wasn't appearing. He just scanned my RZ card on the same screen where he scanned in the games and my account info immediately appeared.

It's really strange how inconsistent this seems to be...or maybe it's more of a consistent inconsistency? :lol:

instead of $1-2 tivs, just give them to friends. I would hate to flip a game for so cheap that I usually just give it to friends/co workers/strangers rather than be given so little in exchange.

[quote name='Velo214']instead of $1-2 tivs, just give them to friends. I would hate to flip a game for so cheap that I usually just give it to friends/co workers/strangers rather than be given so little in exchange.[/QUOTE]

I've found people surprisingly picky when you try to give them free old games, even if they are quality.

[quote name='Rozz']I've found people surprisingly picky when you try to give them free old games, even if they are quality.[/QUOTE]

Really? That's very strange I would be happy to get old games for free. I would still go to ebay vs selling games for $1. $1! that's insane.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']:whistle2:#You can't be serious.

Take them to GameStop. Use the gift card toward Subway sandwiches or something.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332332

Edit: Because some GSs have Subway gift cards or other stuff.

Depending on what your other games are, you might get enough for a $20 PSN card.[/QUOTE]

Oh god, I forgot about GameStop. I used to live there since they were the only players in town. I stopped going there once I got my GCU and let my PUR expire. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

And I really would give away my PS3 and Wii games to folks I know, but I don't have friends that play video games. If GS fails, I guess I'll just give them away on CL.

[quote name='Rozz']I've found people surprisingly picky when you try to give them free old games, even if they are quality.[/QUOTE]

You: Would you like these games? No charge.:)
Me: :roll:. What games. Let me see.
You: Such and such.:)
Me: Wait. Let me think about it. :roll: I guess. *snatches games from your hands and walks off without saying thank you*

[quote name='Dranakin']Oh god, I forgot about GameStop.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='Enuf']there system needs a major upgrade anyways that's where most of the problems arise. Gotta spend money to make money & it looks really bad for a large electronics store to have such poor systems.
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-B...ints-posts-w-nno-risk-to-BestBuy/idi-p/547674[/QUOTE]

Forgoing returns except when defective is one thing (and I would never agree to a blanket statement for this, maybe on a purchase by purchase statement, but never blanket), but the only way to accommodate the system with the price match guarantee would be to also forgo your right to that. Never, ever would do that.

Completely unrelated, went to Best Buy to pre-order Dead Space 3 today (I am also hoping for a descent TIV so I can beat and trade then hope for a $39.99 sale before 30 days is up). Printed off the ticket at the machine and for some reason the info about the $20 certificate was listed like 80 times and the pre-order slip that printed was like 4 feet long. We were all laughing our asses of at the store.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']
Completely unrelated, went to Best Buy to pre-order Dead Space 3 today (I am also hoping for a descent TIV so I can beat and trade then hope for a $39.99 sale before 30 days is up). Printed off the ticket at the machine and for some reason the info about the $20 certificate was listed like 80 times and the pre-order slip that printed was like 4 feet long. We were all laughing our asses of at the store.[/QUOTE]

Just had the same thing happen to me. I tore it off after the barcode and 2 of the promo descriptions in order to bring it up to the checkouts. No way was I bringing a 4ft long receipt up.

Side note, didn't know you couldn't buy a preorder on the same transaction as another purchase. Took the 2 checkout employees, 1 manager, and finally the gaming guy (the only one who knew this fact and so solved the problem) to complete my purchases.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Forgoing returns except when defective is one thing (and I would never agree to a blanket statement for this, maybe on a purchase by purchase statement, but never blanket), but the only way to accommodate the system with the price match guarantee would be to also forgo your right to that. Never, ever would do that.QUOTE]when it comes to software once opened it can't be returned anyways even if defective. It would be useful when you know for a fact you will not be returning an item 100% otherwise it's 35 days.

[quote name='Enuf']when it comes to software once opened it can't be returned anyways even if defective. It would be useful when you know for a fact you will not be returning an item 100% otherwise it's 35 days.[/QUOTE]

Actually, defective software can be returned for the same product (if you buy a game and the disc is cracked they will allow an exchange. May not be their official policy but that definitely do it without issue if you are asking for an exchange). Again though, still doesn't in any way explain how you handle the price matching policy for post-purchased items without also relinquishing your right to get a price adjust later on.

And also, while rare, sometimes I buy a game cause the price seems good but don't get around to opening it and let's say Gamefly has it on sale or Target has it on clearance for notably less (can't price adjust those), I might wind up returning it. Stupid to give up that ability to get a $5 certificate a little sooner.

There was some eBay talk earlier and I would say that I've been doing far more of that lately. Especially with stuff I paid a bit more for. If you are buying games via CAG (i.e. paying very low prices) you can usually make your money back plus a couple of bucks for the effort. The Microsoft Store Black Friday games have been very good to me so far, on average I've sold them for about double what I paid after playing them (including a couple $19.99 sales on games Best Buy was offering a $2 base trade in a month and a half ago) I go this route most times when I would be trading in at anything more than a very slight loss unless I'm absolutely certain I could get more on eBay. MOH: Warfighter for example, I knew damn well I'd get more than $10 on eBay right before Christmas, and I did (about $29 when said and done). Rather get $30 back in cash for a $34 gift card purchase than just getting a $10 gift card back. You can do stuff to make eBay more friendly to you as well, such as setting buyer requirements like no unpaid item claims in the last couple of months, no one who has a negative feedback score, must have paypal, etc. I make a habit of saving padded envelopes that I get when I buy games online and are in good shape so I usually have plenty of those to use for shipping out as well so I don't have to buy those very often. Plus, if you print your shipping labels through ebay/paypal you can save a ton of money on shipping.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Actually, defective software can be returned for the same product (if you buy a game and the disc is cracked they will allow an exchange. May not be their official policy but that definitely do it without issue if you are asking for an exchange). Again though, still doesn't in any way explain how you handle the price matching policy for post-purchased items without also relinquishing your right to get a price adjust later on.

And also, while rare, sometimes I buy a game cause the price seems good but don't get around to opening it and let's say Gamefly has it on sale or Target has it on clearance for notably less (can't price adjust those), I might wind up returning it. Stupid to give up that ability to get a $5 certificate a little sooner.

There was some eBay talk earlier and I would say that I've been doing far more of that lately. Especially with stuff I paid a bit more for. If you are buying games via CAG (i.e. paying very low prices) you can usually make your money back plus a couple of bucks for the effort. The Microsoft Store Black Friday games have been very good to me so far, on average I've sold them for about double what I paid after playing them (including a couple $19.99 sales on games Best Buy was offering a $2 base trade in a month and a half ago) I go this route most times when I would be trading in at anything more than a very slight loss unless I'm absolutely certain I could get more on eBay. MOH: Warfighter for example, I knew damn well I'd get more than $10 on eBay right before Christmas, and I did (about $29 when said and done). Rather get $30 back in cash for a $34 gift card purchase than just getting a $10 gift card back. You can do stuff to make eBay more friendly to you as well, such as setting buyer requirements like no unpaid item claims in the last couple of months, no one who has a negative feedback score, must have paypal, etc. I make a habit of saving padded envelopes that I get when I buy games online and are in good shape so I usually have plenty of those to use for shipping out as well so I don't have to buy those very often. Plus, if you print your shipping labels through ebay/paypal you can save a ton of money on shipping.[/QUOTE]

Definitely saves you some money right there, glad I'm not the only one that does that. :applause:

I agree that selling them on eBay is a much wiser choice if you have a some time to invest on it. It's definitely better than trading them in for a low amount at Best Buy.

Unfortunately I feel that the buyer requirements do little to no good for the seller. Unpaid strikes might help but it's so easy to skip over this. (Buyer pays, and become void of the strike).

The other two are pretty irrelevant since even if you are Paypal protected (as a seller) you will still get screwed by Paypal if the buyer complains about something (most of the time). The negative feedback one is even worse, I have no idea why the hell eBay still has that up when it's absolutely useless.

I will add that, personally at least, I have my requirements set to only ship to the U.S. Too much hassle when it comes to selling internationally, and a much higher chance of having something go sour imo.

[quote name='eXiON']Definitely saves you some money right there, glad I'm not the only one that does that. :applause:

I agree that selling them on eBay is a much wiser choice if you have a some time to invest on it. It's definitely better than trading them in for a low amount at Best Buy.

Unfortunately I feel that the buyer requirements do little to no good for the seller. Unpaid strikes might help but it's so easy to skip over this. (Buyer pays, and become void of the strike).

The other two are pretty irrelevant since even if you are Paypal protected (as a seller) you will still get screwed by Paypal if the buyer complains about something (most of the time). The negative feedback one is even worse, I have no idea why the hell eBay still has that up when it's absolutely useless.

I will add that, personally at least, I have my requirements set to only ship to the U.S. Too much hassle when it comes to selling in
ternationally, and a much higher chance of having something go sour imo.[/QUOTE]
I agree that it's far from perfect but those requirements do help to we out the type of people who would make a false claim.

Being a frequent seller on eBay...I can tell you that it isn't always worth it. When you're looking at TIV of $1-$2, sure, eBay will be far more worth your while.

However, when you're talking a difference between trading in for $16 vs selling on ebay for $26...you're better off saving the aggravation and trading it in. Not just in shipping costs + ebay fees + paypal fees, but also because Ebay has become a cess pool of fraudulent activity lately. Paypal's over-aggressive "buyer protection" and Ebay's now defunct negative feedback system are allowing con artists far too much leeway.

[quote name='KryllFood']Being a frequent seller on eBay...I can tell you that it isn't always worth it. When you're looking at TIV of $1-$2, sure, eBay will be far more worth your while.

However, when you're talking a difference between trading in for $16 vs selling on ebay for $26...you're better off saving the aggravation and trading it in. Not just in shipping costs + ebay fees + paypal fees, but also because Ebay has become a cess pool of fraudulent activity lately. Paypal's over-aggressive "buyer protection" and Ebay's now defunct negative feedback system are allowing con artists far too much leeway.[/QUOTE]

yep sellers can't even leave negative feedback on buyers now, so even if you check the buyer's history there's no way to tell if they have screwed over other people before.

just finishes borderlands 2, and thinking about trading it it. right now it is at $14, but w/ 50% bonus it would be $21. should i trade this in now or wait for the 100% bonus next week? i have a feeling they will drop it down to like $10 or something and even with 100%, its going to be $20. does best buy always drop their tiv before promos?

[quote name='eXiON']
I will add that, personally at least, I have my requirements set to only ship to the U.S. Too much hassle when it comes to selling internationally, and a much higher chance of having something go sour imo.[/QUOTE]
Sorry to continue the off topic eBay talk, but I used to do U.S. only until eBay introduced their Global Shipping Program. The seller only pays regular shipping rates to their hub in KY. I have been selling stuff faster and for higher prices since joining. The only negative is the higher PayPal fee for non-US buyers.

Hate to continue the eBay talk, but I actually tend to start off games at around what I'd get for a Best Buy trade. That way, I figure even at a minimum I'm getting cash instead of credit.

[quote name='klimb22']Sorry to continue the off topic eBay talk, but I used to do U.S. only until eBay introduced their Global Shipping Program. The seller only pays regular shipping rates to their hub in KY. I have been selling stuff faster and for higher prices since joining. The only negative is the higher PayPal fee for non-US buyers.[/QUOTE]

I updated my listings to Global Shipping Program too a few weeks back. But I haven't had a single international buyer yet, and my prices are even domestically competitive.

How much is the Paypal fee for international buyers?

[quote name='klimb22']Sorry to continue the off topic eBay talk, but I used to do U.S. only until eBay introduced their Global Shipping Program. The seller only pays regular shipping rates to their hub in KY. I have been selling stuff faster and for higher prices since joining. The only negative is the higher PayPal fee for non-US buyers.[/QUOTE]

Do you get any additional protection? Like once it's in KY, you're good on the delivery?

[quote name='confoosious']Do you get any additional protection? Like once it's in KY, you're good on the delivery?[/QUOTE]
The way it reads to me is that after it hits KY they do the international part and "you're in the clear". You still get tracking all the way to the destination.

[quote name='chedeng88']i updated my listings to global shipping program too a few weeks back. But i haven't had a single international buyer yet, and my prices are even domestically competitive.

How much is the paypal fee for international buyers?[/quote]
3.9%

Crap, looks like we're derailing this thread at a steady pace lol. To be fair, there doesn't seem to be much action going on with BB trade-ins atm. Guessing the days of pre-ordering a game and trading it in a month later for $35-40 are becoming slim.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I agree that it's far from perfect but those requirements do help to we out the type of people who would make a false claim.[/QUOTE]

You're right about that, I really wish we as sellers would get actual protection though (wishful thinking huh?). I just always hope when I sell something, that it's someone with either a high feedback or having been registered for more than a month. Those users that buy high end stuff having only been registered for a day or so are the ones that really scare the hell out of me. I've actually seen a few scumbags set their feedback to (private) that way you can't even see what others have said about them.

Thanks, I didn't know they introduced that. I'll be sure to check it out.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Hate to continue the eBay talk, but I actually tend to start off games at around what I'd get for a Best Buy trade. That way, I figure even at a minimum I'm getting cash instead of credit.[/QUOTE]

That reminded me of something, do you use buy it now or auction style? I ask this because, I've seen conflicting reports of users saying Auction style is definitely better when it comes to fees vs. a BIN with the same price.

[quote name='eXiON']
That reminded me of something, do you use buy it now or auction style? I ask this because, I've seen conflicting reports of users saying Auction style is definitely better when it comes to fees vs. a BIN with the same price.[/QUOTE]
For games and some other stuff: Auction style is 9%, BIN is 15% fees. What I do is either just start my auction at the bare minimum or start my auction as close as possible to my BIN price. Your BIN has to be 10% higher than your auction. That way I get as close to my BIN price as possible without paying an extra 6%.

Ebay also now puts their fees on your shipping so I just do free shipping now, always. I'm going to definitely look into that global shipping program if Ebay sides with the seller as long as it reaches their facility, that would be awesome.

Back on topic: BB is dropping base values like crazy since yesterday. I've been keeping an eye out because I want to trade some stuff when 100% resumes, but it looks like all of the games I was looking at have dropped by a few bucks. Might be better off going to gamestop, though everything I want is on sale at BB.

[quote name='mpaullin']Back on topic: BB is dropping base values like crazy since yesterday. I've been keeping an eye out because I want to trade some stuff when 100% resumes, but it looks like all of the games I was looking at have dropped by a few bucks. Might be better off going to gamestop, though everything I want is on sale at BB.[/QUOTE]

Saw that too. Highest value I saw was black ops 2 at 14.

Wtf did they really drop Far Cry 3 to 14 base? It was 22 not even a week ago. I hope BBY knows what they're doing. I'm really worried about what the TIV for big games that are a part of their promo. I'm hoping they're still ~40, otherwise I'm going to cancel most of my preorders and only pick up what I really want, which is only 2 games.

Trade in values are like death and taxes...

I've got a few to trade in myself, but will wait it out. Just need a little more time to finish them...

[quote name='panda911']Wtf did they really drop Far Cry 3 to 14 base? It was 22 not even a week ago. I hope BBY knows what they're doing. I'm really worried about what the TIV for big games that are a part of their promo. I'm hoping they're still ~40, otherwise I'm going to cancel most of my preorders and only pick up what I really want, which is only 2 games.[/QUOTE]
I could go on for days on this topic. As predicted, corporate support is being pulled bit by bit for the tradein program. I am sure they are having less and less money being allocated across the board for the program.

I remember when the program started talking to some guy doing my tradein who claimed to be on the executive board of gaming or whatnot for best buy that met in MN every so often to plan out the program. He guaranteed Gamestop would be on their heels in two years time. Last time I went by there he had been axed with all the other gaming managers companywide.

The current tradein program has been a colossal cluster from day one. They have still never gone away from the godawful pay to ship the game to texas for refurb (which they also pay for) and pay to have it shipped back to random stores. The transaction costs on that are enormous, and completely unnecessary for many handheld games. They never ever accurately figured out what the cost of entry into the market segment was. They have been guided by reactionaries only (2011 was the year of the Great BBY Flipping, late '11 and 2012 was the year of the bannings, and 2013 will be the year of the downward slide).

I do not see any way the gaming tradein department can survive through 2014 (I just hope bby survives in general). And the thing is, they could have had a great program if they just fixed all the little things and spent the money to build inventory and goodwill for 5 years.

To not derail the thread any further, has anyone traded in a cartridge only Vita game?

[quote name='J7.']For games and some other stuff: Auction style is 9%, BIN is 15% fees. What I do is either just start my auction at the bare minimum or start my auction as close as possible to my BIN price. Your BIN has to be 10% higher than your auction. That way I get as close to my BIN price as possible without paying an extra 6%.

Ebay also now puts their fees on your shipping so I just do free shipping now, always. I'm going to definitely look into that global shipping program if Ebay sides with the seller as long as it reaches their facility, that would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I always noticed people leaned more on the Auction style unless it's an item they know won't sell too fast. But I've always done BIN simply because I'd fear that it end up cheap if I played the 99 cents game. Before eBay changed their layout and forced you into categories, I would always go to a 'similar' one to shave off the a bit of the FVFs. Doesn't work too well now though since your auctions get hidden though.

[quote name='killercane']I could go on for days on this topic. As predicted, corporate support is being pulled bit by bit for the tradein program. I am sure they are having less and less money being allocated across the board for the program.

I remember when the program started talking to some guy doing my tradein who claimed to be on the executive board of gaming or whatnot for best buy that met in MN every so often to plan out the program. He guaranteed Gamestop would be on their heels in two years time. Last time I went by there he had been axed with all the other gaming managers companywide.

The current tradein program has been a colossal cluster from day one. They have still never gone away from the godawful pay to ship the game to texas for refurb (which they also pay for) and pay to have it shipped back to random stores. The transaction costs on that are enormous, and completely unnecessary for many handheld games. They never ever accurately figured out what the cost of entry into the market segment was. They have been guided by reactionaries only (2011 was the year of the Great BBY Flipping, late '11 and 2012 was the year of the bannings, and 2013 will be the year of the downward slide).

I do not see any way the gaming tradein department can survive through 2014 (I just hope bby survives in general). And the thing is, they could have had a great program if they just fixed all the little things and spent the money to build inventory and goodwill for 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, something is clearly going on with trades ins since values have plummeted over the past few weeks. I would be okay if they went down a little bit, since the values were almost too-good-to-be-true during the holidays (between the $20 preorder certificate and 60 day price match window, they paid me to play quite a few games after trading them back), but now they are worse than Gamestop in most cases (which is already really bad).

[quote name='eXiON']To not derail the thread any further, has anyone traded in a cartridge only Vita game?[/QUOTE]
Yes I have. They take them same as they would DS or 3ds cartridges without the case.

The biggest thing that has hurt them is that they've never known how to really sell the used games. They take to long to get back on the floor, their used prices are often higher than the new prices because the two sides of the office apparently aren't talking to each other, etc. It is just a mess. When someone walks into a store and sees that Medal of Honor: Warfighter is $14.99 new (last two days) but that the used version is $24.99, well they think the store has their head up their ass. Also, while in some ways I'm glad they don't, mixing used and new games might have helped them (how many soccer moms ignore the pre-owned but if searching for the game on the new shelf saw a used version for $10 less would grab that?) and of course the simple fact that so many people trade in disc only for no reason other than just cause they can they've wound up with a huge collection of ugly black cases in their pre-owned sections.

Looks like my Best Buy trade-in days are coming to an end, used to be great @100%, then it was good, now it just seems kinda bad.

Will probably go back to just selling my stuff now...

I know this is just piling on to what others have said but these TIV values are not urging me to trade with Best Buy. I had Scribblenauts Unlimited for Wii-U ready to trade and it will net me a whopping $12.60. If this game was $20 or $30 normally I would understand but that's far too low for a $60 retail release from a few months ago.

I don't want to seem entitled to a certain TIV or anything but these values are abnormally low.

Got $38.40($24 base.....yes, I know this is the same as the 100% @ BB) for Halo 4 at GameStop vs $26.40($12 base) at Best Buy. Both of these are with the 10% gamer club bonuses. Whoever wants that 50% bonus GameStop coupon and have the 6,000 points to get it, you have until tonight to do it. GS has a number of better TIVs, too. Just buy a used game for 49-99¢ to get the 50% bump.

Probably got more than twice I would have gotten at BB for the games I traded in. Halo 4 isn't something I'd play, but it was given to me with an Xbox and a bunch of others.

i was going to trade in medal of honor warfighter and sleeping dogs to bestbuy but

tiv for both after bonuses at bestbuy = 21
tiv for both before bonuses at gamestop = 27

nuff said

[quote name='etcrane']Hey guys, anyone know what happened to the Best Buy/GameStop flip thread?[/QUOTE]

it got nuked thats what happed. all the flips mentioned in the thread died after the previous 100% promo anyway :(

bread's done
Back