Best Buy Trade-in 5.0 - see FAQ in OP!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Just seemed like a good time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP WILL NOT BE ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS - THIS IS PRIMARILY AN FAQ.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Flip discussion is allowed on CAG, but begging for list of games to flip is not only obnoxious but doesn't help the community in any way; don't be surprised if some users are only interested in trading information with other users who regularly contribute to the thread.

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160. 

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership (should being the key word). The program has undergone some serious changes in the last couple of months. The program now cost $120  for two years and comes with a subscription of @Gamer magazine until May 2014 (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins, 20% off new games and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your My Best Buy membership. Current GCU members have been upgraded to the new program for no extra charge and should have received a coupon to extend their membership for an additional 2 years at a cost of $30 ($15 a year). Members who had their subscription run out within a couple months of November 2013 will also get this coupon. 

I can't find the pamphlet or barcode to sign up for GCU!

Employees by and large seem ignorant of the program and probably won't be much help so here is what you need to do. There may be pamphlets around various areas of the store and if you can not find that try the touch kiosk. 

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

For a full break down of when and how to help make sure your 10% was applied look in the spoiler.

How to get your 10% bonus

For some reason this is incredibly difficult for employees to get right. Following this process should work, but there is no accounting for the occasional very-bad-at-their-job employee.  

The 10% requires that they add your member information at a very specific point. The best way to describe it is that it must be entered along with your games, as it is on the same page. So immediately after they enter your games, but before navigating to the next page on their computer, the Best Buy employee has to enter your information, typically using your phone number, to find your account. It is on the same page as all of the games and if they are asking for your ID it is too late!  The big problem is that the next page also looking up your member information, but in a brilliant move of programming on Best Buy's part, it will not apply the membership bonus at this stage. An easy way to see if the bonus has been applied is to ask for the trade in total at this point as well, as the 10% (and any other bonuses) would already be applied; so if the numbers are off you know they need to go back a page and enter the information. Otherwise, that being done, it should work just fine.

Things to know/help you make sure the bonus is applied:

• Always know your trade total, including bonuses, before going in. This will help you catch issues.
  • Hold onto your ID until they ask for it, that way you know that they are on that page. Before handing them the ID is a great time to ask them what the total was if they haven't already told you because you can still catch the issue now. 
  • Be polite and helpful. Try to not get frustrated if they didn't enter the information at first, and politely mention that last time you had this issue the employee had to go back a page. In the event the issue isn't being resolved it never hurts to ask if maybe someone from gaming could help.  MOST employees will be friendly and work with you. 
  • Lastly, be persistent. Some employees will take it personally when you try to help, some will just be difficult because lets face it, retail jobs suck and you're probably the 900th person to ask them for something today. Giving up though not only makes you lose out on the 10% bonus, and the Reward Zone points (as well as credit towards your Elite Plus status), all it does is make sure the employee doesn't know what they are doing for the next customer either.  You paid for the bonus, make sure you get it. 

Do we get MyBestBuy (Reward Zone) points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as). Again, the item MUST BE RECEIVED within 14 days. It is not enough to simply ship it within the 14 day time period (like Amazon). Be mindful of this if you are trying to trade in a game that you are waiting to ship/arrive from an online store. If you miss the receiving deadline and then complain about it in the thread you will probably be made fun of. You have been warned.

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No. Online and in-store are completely separate in every way but their base trade in values.

Do I get the XX% bonus or my 10% GCU bonus when trading online?

No. All bonuses, including GCU member bonus only work in-store.  The value listed on the website is the value you will receive, nothing more.

How do I get my giftcard for online trades?

Online trades will receive a E-Giftcard.  E-Giftcards can be printed and used in store, you can also go in store and ask a cashier to "transfer" it to a real giftcard, i.e. buy a real giftcard with the E-Giftcard funds if you wish. Apparently the online system states they will mail a giftcard but this is not accurate. 

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy recently changed their policy on this then changed it back. You can trade up to 3 copies of a title per platform. The system will not automatically stop you from trading in more than 3 copies of a game, some have done so frequently without issue but many others have been banned for trading over the limit in the past so it is not recommended if you wish to keep Best Buy as a trade in option in the future. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk. If you regularly re-buy games at lower prices and trade in a lot it may be wise to keep track of all that you trade in.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF? 
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a major pain each time they try to link the MyBestBuy account to each of my trade ins.  Each time it takes them 5 minutes to figure out where it is.  None of the customer service people seem to know how to do it.  Crazy.  

It's no wonder that my trades were all messed up when they started the program.  

It is a major pain each time they try to link the MyBestBuy account to each of my trade ins. Each time it takes them 5 minutes to figure out where it is. None of the customer service people seem to know how to do it. Crazy.

It's no wonder that my trades were all messed up when they started the program.
If you want the 10% and its not showing up during the trade in. Its because they're two places to put it on their screen and they're are putting it in to the wrong one. Tell them go to the bottom of the cart and click the hyperlink that says "search for myBB member" and have them input it there. The reason why when yall give them # and it doesn't come up is because they input it the wrong box..

Is there anything against going in and buying every game on sale and trading them in right after?  If you bought 3 copies of each game on sale and a new GCU, you could spend about $1k and net about a $1500 GC easily.

Is this a good way to get banned?

I calc if you spend $1100 you can get $1800 back in GC, and this is just with a few games like AC4, Fifa, COD, and Killzone.

Is there anything against going in and buying every game on sale and trading them in right after? If you bought 3 copies of each game on sale and a new GCU, you could spend about $1k and net about a $1500 GC easily.

I calc if you spend $1100 you can get $1800 back in GC, and this is just with a few games like AC4, Fifa, COD, and Killzone.
Give it a try and let us know the results. :p

Is there anything against going in and buying every game on sale and trading them in right after? If you bought 3 copies of each game on sale and a new GCU, you could spend about $1k and net about a $1500 GC easily.

Sounds like to much of a hassle lol

you would probably run out of games

At any store that I've been to the management would find some arbitrary reason to deny your trade and once they're open you wouldn't be able to return them. Maybe if you do a few at a time you could get away with it. Seems like too much risk and hassle to me, but I'm laying low these days.

I really hate Best Buy sometimes. I tried to trade in COD Ghosts for the X1 and the lady would not take it because it was showing the prestige edition ehen she scanned it. I tried explaining to her tha t it was just a placeholder pic but she would not listen. What a waste of time and gas. I might try disk only tomortow hopefully the tiv doesn't tank. Sorry for any typos im on my phone.
This also happened to me at the City of Industry store. She ended up letting me trade it in anyway after she spoke to somebody, but while doing the trade she kept saying how it has to be exactly the same as the one that showed up on her computer. I was doing disc only for this trade.

Sounds like to much of a hassle lol

you would probably run out of games
You can trade in 3 copies per system per year. With COD Ghosts you could get 12 copies between all systems and make a few $ each per trade. Couple all this with rewards and the GC offers this week and it seems easy, unless they hit you with some BS made up rule.

You can trade in 3 copies per system per year. With COD Ghosts you could get 12 copies between all systems and make a few $ each per trade. Couple all this with rewards and the GC offers this week and it seems easy, unless they hit you with some BS made up rule.
Is it calendar year? So reset comes with January 1st? I forgot what I've traded in recently and would love a reset on the number I can trade in.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club-Unlocked-Enhancement/td-p/723505

Q: Once I am a member of Gamers Club Unlocked, is there a limit to how many new video games I can buy with my 20% discount?

A: Yes. Members are limited to 3 copies of any one title (example: 2 copies for PS4, 1 copy for Xbox 360 = 3 total).

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/Question-about-new-GCU-purchase-limits/td-p/727603

Gamers Club Unlocked members can purchase up to three copies of the same game title. Purchasing more than 3 copies of any one title with the Unlocked benefit of 20% off the sales price could lead to the potential cancellation of My Best Buy account membership.

Think I've hit the 3 limit on COD, Fifa, and BF4. And have 2 on a lot more titles.

The recent sales and promos they've had is just like dangling money in front of my face.

you would get blacklisted from the store, and banned from that lstore. It happened to someone before. they were escorted out of the store by best buy security

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club-Unlocked-Enhancement/td-p/723505

Q: Once I am a member of Gamers Club Unlocked, is there a limit to how many new video games I can buy with my 20% discount?

A: Yes. Members are limited to 3 copies of any one title (example: 2 copies for PS4, 1 copy for Xbox 360 = 3 total).

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/Question-about-new-GCU-purchase-limits/td-p/727603

Gamers Club Unlocked members can purchase up to three copies of the same game title. Purchasing more than 3 copies of any one title with the Unlocked benefit of 20% off the sales price could lead to the potential cancellation of My Best Buy account membership.
I think this is a dumb rule. I understand that it's within their rights to limit the number of discounts for a specific title, but they should keep up with it on their end. There are totally legitimate reasons why someone would purchase more than 3 copies of a title within a year. But if you do you better remember not to give them your my best buy account info or you're screwed.

What if someone wanted a copy for PS3, PS4, 360, XB1, and WiiU? Lol they'll get banned for wanting the same game for every system.

Good thing I got spreedsheets

I think this is a dumb rule. I understand that it's within their rights to limit the number of discounts for a specific title, but they should keep up with it on their end. There are totally legitimate reasons why someone would purchase more than 3 copies of a title within a year. But if you do you better remember not to give them your my best buy account info or you're screwed.
because they want people to actually pay the $120 fee. LOL

What if someone wanted a copy for PS3, PS4, 360, XB1, and WiiU? Lol they'll get banned for wanting the same game for every system.
Seriously, using COD Ghosts as an example. I preordered on XBox 360 and then bought it on PS4. Then I bought a copy on pS4 for my brother for Christmas. There's my 3 copies for the year.

Anyone get hit with a ban or warning of some sort for the more than 3 rule? I forgot I bought Ghosts on release. So now I hit 4 copies. 2 on the PS4 for my friend and I and 1 for a gift to my brother for the 360 because it was on sale this week.

^ If they handle it like the trade-in program, there will be no warning, just a sudden, unexplained block or deactivation of your account and no one in the store will have any idea what is going on.

jfh2c said:
Seriously, using COD Ghosts as an example. I preordered on XBox 360 and then bought it on PS4. Then I bought a copy on pS4 for my brother for Christmas. There's my 3 copies for the year.
I don't think it says anything about a year - it is 3 copies ever. This is for the 20% off purchase side. The trade-ins might be 3 per year.

Yep its lifetime, only trade ins are 3 per year
That's why you must be careful. You'll lose your GCU but that isn't the most painful part. If you're Elite Plus, that goes Bye Bye too.

Good thing I got spreedsheets
Yeah. The three copy limit makes some sense from a business perspective, but it's a huge pain in the butt. I've had t add a worksheet to my tracking spreadsheet that keeps track of how many copies of a game I've purchased, for which systems, and the relevant dates.

Yep its lifetime, only trade ins are 3 per year
That's why you must be careful. You'll lose your GCU but that isn't the most painful part. If you're Elite Plus, that goes Bye Bye too.
they can also take away you rewardzone points, and deduct it into negative balance oblivion.

I always have to try and remember how many of each game I've bought or traded-in. I'm sure I messed up somewhere along the line (possibly GTA V).

The 3 copies limit is to stop resellers from buying their stock at 20% off and selling it in their own store at MSRP. You want to wholesale games, do it the right way and go through the publisher.

I get it, but their system should be able to stop discounting games after 3 copies. If a consumer is paying $60 a year to belong to a retailer's savings program it should not be up to the consumer to keep track of how much of a discount they have received from the retailer. I just think it's stupid.

so guys newb question here..if i trade in games tommorow can i buy amazon credit with my trade in credit..i called the 1800 number and they said no but ive seen people on here say they have before so i dont know what the policy is thanks

so guys newb question here..if i trade in games tommorow can i buy amazon credit with my trade in credit..i called the 1800 number and they said no but ive seen people on here say they have before so i dont know what the policy is thanks
Yes you can just look for Amazon Kindle Cards. They work on anything sold on amazon.com including third parties. They come in increments of $25 and $50 and are in the e-reader section.

Yes. The trade-in credit is just money on a regular BB gift card. They can be used to buy Amazon Kindle cards that is actually just Amazon credit.

The 3 copies limit is to stop resellers from buying their stock at 20% off and selling it in their own store at MSRP. You want to wholesale games, do it the right way and go through the publisher.
Ok except, this is 3 copies of the game, period... FOREVER (as far as I know not just "per year"). There is no way to "Turn Off" the discount so when I go to place an order for a game, bam it may doom me.

I call absolute BS on "3 per TITLE regardless of system or edition".

That means they would have to manually (i.e. a live person) review purchases as a bot would only be able to detect mass purchases based on SKU and each game would have a different SKU depending on edition and platform.

So someone who wanted all the CE's for a game like COD: Ghost and a vanilla copy to play would NEVER be able to buy another copy of Ghosts..... ever?

Not believable.

I get it, but their system should be able to stop discounting games after 3 copies. If a consumer is paying $60 a year to belong to a retailer's savings program it should not be up to the consumer to keep track of how much of a discount they have received from the retailer. I just think it's stupid.
This, pretty much.

I get why they set that 3 game limit (though I think making the limit 3 for the lifetime of the account rather than a set period of time like 1 year or so is silly), but I don't like the idea that they'll ban your account if you buy more than 3. Just have it so the system automatically declines the 20% discount on games where you've passed the 3 game limit and leave it at that.

I'll share my scenario which led me to purchase 6 copies of Zelda Link Between Worlds with GCU discount. 

I initially bought two copies in store last week (yes, I missed the previous B1G50% off Nintendo deal unfortunately) for Christmas gifts for my brother and my sister who lives on her own.  This week the $15 gift card offer comes along so I thought it a perfect opportunity to rebuy the Zelda games as filler to reach $100 after combining with the buy 2 get $25gc next gen deal.  These two orders were made in haste late on Thursday night because I thought that buy 2 get a $25gc deal expired that night (thanks to whomever gave that false information, lol!).  The result was I didn't read the terms of the online $15 savings code promo and wrongly chose shipping to home instead of store pickup.  An hour later I came to realize my mistake but at that point orders can't be cancelled which really sucks! 

Then today I made two more duplicate orders, this time for store pickup (actually, shiptostore) to qualify for the $15 savings code.  So presently I have 6 copies ordered with GCU applied to each and eventually I will return four of them but who knows if that will make a difference in not getting banned/account removed.  Oh well, I'll probably just pay the $120 and make a new account if it comes to that.  Sucks that I'll lose my whole next year of Elite status on top of that though!

Trade bans are harsh. It's a full year waiting period minimum. Over time, who knows if they make that even longer. Plus you'd be feeling stupid when you're banned and watching others trade away taking advantage of other opportunities down the line. Believe me, I've been there.

Is it calendar year? So reset comes with January 1st? I forgot what I've traded in recently and would love a reset on the number I can trade in.
Nobody has been able to confirm that yet. A calendar year seems more likely, but a rolling year may make more sense from an LP analyst perspective. (i.e. 3 games Dec 2012 and another 3 in January 2013 would justify a ban by any typical analyst).

It's not perfect but in reality, the majority of folks going over 3 copies are flippers. It's standard for retailers to protect themselves from resellers. Resellers are bad for their business generally speaking.

Anyone get hit with a ban or warning of some sort for the more than 3 rule? I forgot I bought Ghosts on release. So now I hit 4 copies. 2 on the PS4 for my friend and I and 1 for a gift to my brother for the 360 because it was on sale this week.
The limit applies to games that have used the GCU discount. Around that time, people were getting their discount but I think it wasn't active on release date so if you paid full price you're okay at a minimum.

The 3 purchase limit has not been clarified as to whether it's lifetime or periodic. My guess is a year.

That means they would have to manually (i.e. a live person) review purchases as a bot would only be able to detect mass purchases based on SKU and each game would have a different SKU depending on edition and platform.

So someone who wanted all the CE's for a game like COD: Ghost and a vanilla copy to play would NEVER be able to buy another copy of Ghosts..... ever?

Not believable.
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/3-game-limit-for-20/m-p/742603/highlight/true#M12041

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/Question-Is-the-3-game-limit-regardless-of-platform-counted-both/td-p/748361

Not believable.
You don't think they could include all SKUs of a title to be looked at by a bot? I would imagine it isn't that hard to program.

Then again, it is BestBuy.

It hard to stay with the 3 min title as ps3, xbox, xb1, ps4. COD- I went over because I keep thinking its 3 per platform. And having COD and 4 different system killed it for me. And I renew my gamer cub, I should have just did the $30 renewed in my brother account.

But today when I was doing a trade-in, the person in front of me was trading two ps4 game sealed in the original wrapper. I was surprise the lady did the trade in for him. He must be from SD.

That's ridiculous, because Best Buy doesn't do different skus for their figures in store. I bought 3 different Swapforce "Swappable" figures and they all 3 had the same SKU, so there's no possible way for BBY to know if I bought 3 unique figures or 3 identical ones. If I buy one more figure I would get banned.

Bull crap policies like this just make me look harder for loopholes so that I can fuck BBY even harder.

That's ridiculous, because Best Buy doesn't do different skus for their figures in store. I bought 3 different Swapforce "Swappable" figures and they all 3 had the same SKU, so there's no possible way for BBY to know if I bought 3 unique figures or 3 identical ones. If I buy one more figure I would get banned.
Bull crap policies like this just make me look harder for loopholes so that I can fuck BBY even harder.
Was just about to say that's effed up that it counts for figures. They must not realize kids play those more than anyone else. Kids lose and break things, so by replacing them you're risking a ban. I understand games and everything else but the figures too, that sucks

Why do you keep using the BB "Unboxed" Forums as hard truths? The official reps on there are in all probability half retarded. And I know retarded isn't a nice word but it is the nicest word available to describe some of the responses I have read from official reps on that site. They have, consistently, misquoted simple policies like return polices and price match policies. The last thing I would expect them to quote correctly is new "super secret" policy.

Edit:

I mean think about this. Someone who was a previous GCU member but doesn't frequent deal sites would of gotten a renewal coupon in the mail for this new program at $30. They would have NO Idea what the rules are.

The coupon and attached form letter would outline the benefits of this program but it does NOT explain the rules (i.e. 3 titles).... at all. At no point do they provide an explanation of the rules. Not by e-mail and certainly not in person when you pay your membership fees... hell half the best buy B&M employees aren't aware of the program much less know how to sign someone up correctly. I had to go on three separate occasions before they were able to figure out how to use my renewal coupon to extend my membership.

So again I don't think you'll find a very strict enforcement of any of the policies related to the GCU program and instead whatever oversight program they use to make sure consumers "behave" will be looking for buyer tendencies and patterns instead of 4 strikes your out.

htz said:
If that is true then I'm hosed. I bought at least 12 figures from Best Buy before Christmas. They were all different ones, but I don't trust them for one second to consider that when handing down bans. Whoever they hire to look through the data will just see a bunch of purchases for similar things and make assumptions.

Remember that the trade-in bans were arbitrary and inconsistent - it was never everyone who did this or that. They got some people for minor violations (or none at all with respect to the 3 game limit) and missed others with major ones.

^ Do they have hard copies of the program T&C in the stores where the bulk of us signed up? Heck... are there T&C online posted ANYWHERE outside of a forum?

If not they really are going to have a hard time enforcing them outside of the "this is our site... we'll do as we please" legal jargon that all retailers have.

They are somewhere I'm sure. They certainly never had anything posted about the overall 100 game limit or whatever it was that caused trade-in bans for people that never went over the 3 per title limit. But they can just file all of that under the right to terminate for "any reason or no reason at all" clause.

I have so many problems with all of this. Of course, as many others have suggested, they just need to make the discount (and trade-ins) cut off after the limit is hit. That would be best for everyone. Failing that, they could issue warnings. Failing that, they could at least give people reasons for the bans. Those would then get out to others and they could better adhere not only to the known 3 copy limit, but also to any others that are in place behind the scenes. Again, this would benefit everyone including Best Buy. But no - they don't do that and as far as I remember from the trade-in stuff, no one was ever really able to get a straight answer about why they were banned. Obviously some people went nuts with trade-ins and they know why. But I'm talking about people who really didn't know why (because they never traded over 3 of something).

I make a fair amount of other purchases there including 2 major appliances in the last 2 years and a couple of iPhones. In the past I've also made many work-related expense purchases there. I will probably be buying a new iMac there soon. I tend to go there when prices are equivalent solely for the convenience (locations) and the reward certificates (and now for my Elite Plus free shipping). If they want to ban me for buying 12 Skylanders (and I was planning on getting 3 different Disney Infinity figures when they have their B2G1 which would put me over the limit on them too), then I'll go elsewhere and only use Best Buy for the occasional loss-leader clearance game sale.

^ I'm going to guess that they probably have a "risk vs reward" audit system for each buyer that determines their profitability to the company. If someone is only buying clearance or new release games to maximize the GCU discount and that is their ONLY business with Best Buy then they are an easy purge. If someone is also buying other items with generally decent markups then I don't see them terminating their BB accounts.... but just my opinions. 

But again we don't see a lot of transparency with BB... especially on the unboxed forums. Their solution to being asked "why are my orders being cancelled is" 

"We don't know... why don't you go and make your purchases at a best buy store"

^ an obvious attempt to tip-toe around having to try and explain why an account was blacklisted... blame the problem on the buyers credit card information (lame attempt best buy)... but we still want your money just spend it in-store.

I guess the easiest way to do it would be buy the GCU membership with a credit card.  Then if something happens over skylanders or other legit purchases, just file a chargeback for the $120.

If you are going over the 3/per limit for flipping, it would obviously be a different story.

I have no idea how aggressive loss prevention is/will be, but it would be rather easy from a database perspective to identify groups of SKUs as the "same" item just by adding an internal column to the database. You would only need major human effort once to back-fill the data. Not knowing anything about the system the companies use to communicate inventory, they may even be able to do it automatically based on existing codes used to identify suppliers/publishers and product.

I'll guess we'll see how they handle bans on the discounts because I have abused mine to all hell.  Or it will just expire in feb, which ever comes first.  I am however extending my fiances which we have used by the rules.

If that is true then I'm hosed. I bought at least 12 figures from Best Buy before Christmas. They were all different ones, but I don't trust them for one second to consider that when handing down bans. Whoever they hire to look through the data will just see a bunch of purchases for similar things and make assumptions.

Remember that the trade-in bans were arbitrary and inconsistent - it was never everyone who did this or that. They got some people for minor violations (or none at all with respect to the 3 game limit) and missed others with major ones.
better cash out your rewardzone certificate frequently.

bread's done
Back