Best Buy Trade-in 5.0 - see FAQ in OP!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Just seemed like a good time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP WILL NOT BE ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS - THIS IS PRIMARILY AN FAQ.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Flip discussion is allowed on CAG, but begging for list of games to flip is not only obnoxious but doesn't help the community in any way; don't be surprised if some users are only interested in trading information with other users who regularly contribute to the thread.

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160. 

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership (should being the key word). The program has undergone some serious changes in the last couple of months. The program now cost $120  for two years and comes with a subscription of @Gamer magazine until May 2014 (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins, 20% off new games and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your My Best Buy membership. Current GCU members have been upgraded to the new program for no extra charge and should have received a coupon to extend their membership for an additional 2 years at a cost of $30 ($15 a year). Members who had their subscription run out within a couple months of November 2013 will also get this coupon. 

I can't find the pamphlet or barcode to sign up for GCU!

Employees by and large seem ignorant of the program and probably won't be much help so here is what you need to do. There may be pamphlets around various areas of the store and if you can not find that try the touch kiosk. 

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

For a full break down of when and how to help make sure your 10% was applied look in the spoiler.

How to get your 10% bonus

For some reason this is incredibly difficult for employees to get right. Following this process should work, but there is no accounting for the occasional very-bad-at-their-job employee.  

The 10% requires that they add your member information at a very specific point. The best way to describe it is that it must be entered along with your games, as it is on the same page. So immediately after they enter your games, but before navigating to the next page on their computer, the Best Buy employee has to enter your information, typically using your phone number, to find your account. It is on the same page as all of the games and if they are asking for your ID it is too late!  The big problem is that the next page also looking up your member information, but in a brilliant move of programming on Best Buy's part, it will not apply the membership bonus at this stage. An easy way to see if the bonus has been applied is to ask for the trade in total at this point as well, as the 10% (and any other bonuses) would already be applied; so if the numbers are off you know they need to go back a page and enter the information. Otherwise, that being done, it should work just fine.

Things to know/help you make sure the bonus is applied:

• Always know your trade total, including bonuses, before going in. This will help you catch issues.
  • Hold onto your ID until they ask for it, that way you know that they are on that page. Before handing them the ID is a great time to ask them what the total was if they haven't already told you because you can still catch the issue now. 
  • Be polite and helpful. Try to not get frustrated if they didn't enter the information at first, and politely mention that last time you had this issue the employee had to go back a page. In the event the issue isn't being resolved it never hurts to ask if maybe someone from gaming could help.  MOST employees will be friendly and work with you. 
  • Lastly, be persistent. Some employees will take it personally when you try to help, some will just be difficult because lets face it, retail jobs suck and you're probably the 900th person to ask them for something today. Giving up though not only makes you lose out on the 10% bonus, and the Reward Zone points (as well as credit towards your Elite Plus status), all it does is make sure the employee doesn't know what they are doing for the next customer either.  You paid for the bonus, make sure you get it. 

Do we get MyBestBuy (Reward Zone) points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as). Again, the item MUST BE RECEIVED within 14 days. It is not enough to simply ship it within the 14 day time period (like Amazon). Be mindful of this if you are trying to trade in a game that you are waiting to ship/arrive from an online store. If you miss the receiving deadline and then complain about it in the thread you will probably be made fun of. You have been warned.

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No. Online and in-store are completely separate in every way but their base trade in values.

Do I get the XX% bonus or my 10% GCU bonus when trading online?

No. All bonuses, including GCU member bonus only work in-store.  The value listed on the website is the value you will receive, nothing more.

How do I get my giftcard for online trades?

Online trades will receive a E-Giftcard.  E-Giftcards can be printed and used in store, you can also go in store and ask a cashier to "transfer" it to a real giftcard, i.e. buy a real giftcard with the E-Giftcard funds if you wish. Apparently the online system states they will mail a giftcard but this is not accurate. 

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy recently changed their policy on this then changed it back. You can trade up to 3 copies of a title per platform. The system will not automatically stop you from trading in more than 3 copies of a game, some have done so frequently without issue but many others have been banned for trading over the limit in the past so it is not recommended if you wish to keep Best Buy as a trade in option in the future. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk. If you regularly re-buy games at lower prices and trade in a lot it may be wise to keep track of all that you trade in.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF? 
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I remember Enuf saying (hopefully I'm quoting the right person) that you must pay in full with the Gc and not purchase anything else in the transaction.
Thanks! I'll give it another shot then. I must've misread back then because I was doing the exact opposite, purposefully combining it with another transaction. Lol.

So you just buy any gift card and pay for it with all your individual broken up ones? I have like 12 GCs and it's becoming difficult to track them lol
Just grab one from the shelf and take it to cashier. Add up your balance before you go though so you can just tell her how much to put on it. I don't know if the can do it if you don't know how much your putting on it.

LOL! That isn't the reason we "consolidate" our gift cards. All it is an added bonus. I don't like keeping up with multiple gift cards just like everybody else. vikas asked if there were any other benefits to combining gift cards and I answered.
Amen. I'm sitting on 13 Best Buy gift cards with odd amounts from trades. I really miss the ability to combine everything on a Pitch In card. At on point I bought and returned a MacBook Air in order to consolidate since my store wouldn't let me combine cards at the register. Telling the manager that I was going to do that again was enough to convince her to let me combine the next time. But it was a huge hassle. When the @&@&&@ binder clip I'm holding them in now gets full, I'll force her hand again ...

Just grab one from the shelf and take it to cashier. Add up your balance before you go though so you can just tell her how much to put on it. I don't know if the can do it if you don't know how much your putting on it.
I don't think they can do it without a specified amount--every time I've consolidated GCs, the first question the employee asks has been "How much do you want to put on this gift card?"

Apologies for the double-post, but I need opinions on something:

I bought two Tales of Symphonia Chronicles CEs from Amazon awhile back (one to open, one to keep sealed) and still haven't opened my personal copy. With my large backlog, I likely won't be playing the game anytime soon; should I trade in the game (from the CE I plan on keeping) to BBY for $30.40? I doubt I'll get more than that anywhere else now or later on.

No argument needed you're a good CAG & if you notice I don't name call & web tough talk.
What do you mean, are you saying you're not a online keyboard warrior like 99.3% of all inter-web users.

LOL! That isn't the reason we "consolidate" our gift cards. All it is an added bonus. I don't like keeping up with multiple gift cards just like everybody else. vikas asked if there were any other benefits to combining gift cards and I answered.
Yeah. I just wanted to combine gift cards because my wallet slot things are stretched. I combined four on Sunday or Monday.

Yep it counts towards elite, I have a $800 Gift Card I keep using to buy another Gift card everytime I go to BestBuy I am almost up to Elite Plus on both of my accounts :)
That's the nice side benefit. I've recently combined about $800 worth of GCs as I was tired of tracking/keeping 5-10 cards from trade ins. I got rejected a few times in the past but I've gotten to a rep who handles 90% of my trades (I'm in at least once a week) and she combines them no problem. She even does the value check and calculates the total for me.

I should be back to elite by summertime by just doing GC combinations. and my regular spending/trade ins activity.

I don't think it was clearly spelled out above, but just to make sure. In addition to buying the card on a transaction by itself, make sure you don't add any cash or another form of payment to the transaction in an attempt to round off the total.

I did this before when combining about $500 in GC. I added about 50 cents to make it an even $500 (not even sure why I cared). I only got RZ points on the 50 cents.

That's the nice side benefit. I've recently combined about $800 worth of GCs as I was tired of tracking/keeping 5-10 cards from trade ins. I got rejected a few times in the past but I've gotten to a rep who handles 90% of my trades (I'm in at least once a week) and she combines them no problem. She even does the value check and calculates the total for me.

I should be back to elite by summertime by just doing GC combinations. and my regular spending/trade ins activity.
Does this work online? BBY.com is letting me use gift cards on a $200 gc purchase.

I don't think it was clearly spelled out above, but just to make sure. In addition to buying the card on a transaction by itself, make sure you don't add any cash or another form of payment to the transaction in an attempt to round off the total.

I did this before when combining about $500 in GC. I added about 50 cents to make it an even $500 (not even sure why I cared). I only got RZ points on the 50 cents.
I remember somebody mentioning that the last time this was discussed at length. I'm not that anal about the amount on a GC and I don't need to add cash out of pocket to my GC balances.

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I added cash or got credit back from a cash/CC purchase. I have enough GC balances at BB, GC and Amazon to churn, flip, purchase and support my gaming habits with so I don't need to use cash or a CC anymore. I just make sure that any credit movement is a money maker so I can keep replenishing and rebalancing my GCs at these three places.

Does this work online? BBY.com is letting me use gift cards on a $200 gc purchase.
I don't know. Never tried it. Have only done it in store. Might as well try it out. You're netting the same amount in the end unless you don't want to tie up your old credit while you're waiting for your physical combined GC to arrive or that you don't like digital GCs.

As JHF mentioned above, you might not want to add any CC amount to if it turns out the same "glitch" occurs that you'd only get credit for the CC amount vs. the combined amount.

*sigh* BBY near me is super anal about everything now. But they're the only ones who know how to work GCU. Just sucks that to do anything else other than trade I have to drive another 15 miles to the next BBY  :whistle2:(

Apologies for the double-post, but I need opinions on something:

I bought two Tales of Symphonia Chronicles CEs from Amazon awhile back (one to open, one to keep sealed) and still haven't opened my personal copy. With my large backlog, I likely won't be playing the game anytime soon; should I trade in the game (from the CE I plan on keeping) to BBY for $30.40? I doubt I'll get more than that anywhere else now or later on.
if you want a quick payout. i would do so soon. if not you can leave it sealed, and wait till 2-5 years from now, and try to ebay it for high price.

Is there any specific benefits of combining cards apart from ease of managing them?

I had lot of cards and for a big transaction, i hand over the smallest value cards first.

For one of my last transaction worth $200 odd, I handed over around 7-10 cards. The cashier kept of scanning and I was like =P~
I trade in my games as soon as I can (don't wait for one or two games to trade in unless it just happens that way). Result, wind up with $8.50 on one card, $16.80 on another and so on. Shit gets old really quick. Once they took away the Pitch In card combining was the only option because let me tell you, more than two cards in your wallet and it starts to get thick. Also. the gift cards I get from shopkick are e-gift cards and you either leave those in your/forget which ones you've used or printed/print them and risk losing them since it is just a piece of paper you probably cut up. Just easier to combine them onto a physical one.

I usually try to keep one $100 Gc with me at all times and put the rest on a huge Gc I keep at the house so I don't misplace it. I/we would still be combining gift cards even if they didn't give reward zone points.
I didn't even realize I was getting points for combining them at first so I fully agree with this statement; I'd be doing it either way. One day just got a $5 certificate randomly and was confused and went and saw why.

So you just buy any gift card and pay for it with all your individual broken up ones? I have like 12 GCs and it's becoming difficult to track them lol
Exactly. Take 10 $10 cards and buy a $100 card using them.

It does not. But if at any point you want to break off some of your credit (I've done this when I just wanted to give a nephew a $25 gift card for birthday or something) it's a great way. I tried this once in store and got nothing but strange looks.

Used to work great with pitch in cards, but as a piece of unsolicited advice try to avoid doing it too often.
This. Accounts can get flagged. I combine when I legitimately have cards to combine and I try to do it right after my trade in when I can. That way if I ever get flagged I can point directly to why I'm doing it. May not matter, may make just enough of a difference.

Mildly concerned at how many people have started having problems getting gift cards combined. Tells me that they sent some memo out related to it (and it's also interesting how many are being told it is in some way illegal or stealing, etc.). I'm still convinced the blue shirts are getting combining gift cards confused with buying visa gift cards with a gift cards but yeah...

Points aside it is really smart to attach your account to that transaction. If something happens to the gift card (you lose it for example) customer service can deactivate the old one and activate a new one with the info. I've had to do this once (a blue shirt accidentally handed me the wrong card back - but in their defense there were like 12 cards so hey it happens).

Thanks for mentioning that, I have a copy from my collection. For $18 or $19.20 it's gone since I can always re-buy it for $10.

I'm a little confused I got like 4 different gift cards I wouldn't mind combining for the points but I thought when you pay with gift cards you don't get points? Cause none my games or purchases made with my gift cards receive points or am I missing something?

I'm a little confused I got like 4 different gift cards I wouldn't mind combining for the points but I thought when you pay with gift cards you don't get points? Cause none my games or purchases made with my gift cards receive points or am I missing something?
It's a glitch. Don't think about it too much.

Not to be rude but you're missing the like 4 or 5 post in the last two pages describing exactly what the process is.

I want to trade in COD Ghosts for X1: do you guys think I'll get more this week (+50%) or wait till next week (no bonus)? I'm gcu unlocked too. Thanks in advance.

I want to trade in COD Ghosts for X1: do you guys think I'll get more this week (+50%) or wait till next week (no bonus)? I'm gcu unlocked too. Thanks in advance.
Honestly, 50% is probably going to get you more. Last week I traded in Fable anniversary for $22 because I didn't think I was going to get more. This week comes, the base drops $1 and it now gets $30.40. I learned my lesson for non new games, get rid of them with bonus not without.

edit- Ghosts gets $32, without bonus it might jump to $28 base plus 10% and be $30.80. That would be my guess

Honestly, 50% is probably going to get you more. Last week I traded in Fable anniversary for $22 because I didn't think I was going to get more. This week comes, the base drops $1 and it now gets $30.40. I learned my lesson for non new games, get rid of them with bonus not without.

edit- Ghosts gets $32, without bonus it might jump to $28 base plus 10% and be $30.80. That would be my guess
This. I just traded it in last week thinking the value would tank for the 50% bouus but I eventually lost out. Got the exact amount you listed, $30.80 instead of $32 if I would have traded this week. Oh well at least it was only $2.

So uhhhh basically everything that would actually need to work outside of just having the idea is standing in their way...
Again, they`re charging $120 upfront for the service(s) it can`t be wrong for a customer to assume/expect them to be able to provide the service they sell. To be brutally honest it`s a damn disgrace that an electronics store has such a crappy system. I`d say if they hired and/or trained 100 people dedicated just to GCU from the ground up & allocated the needed resources GCU would be up to speed in 6 months or less. 3-5 people in power at the top & a team directly under them designated to making sure we see the service at a store level. Investing in a quality advertising campain geared to get trades & subs would be extremely helpful. I`ve never seen a GCU tv ad but with Walmart doing trades you can expect walmarts ads to hit before BB`s.

tfw enuf wants BB to succeed more than BB wants BB to succeed...
I certainly don`t want them and/or GCU to go away. Then we`re stuck with TRU/GS/Walmart/Target/Amazon/Kmart/Newegg none of which been has able to compete with what BB has done. If there`s no BB they now can further relax which does no one any good. If CC was still around they may have already introduced their version of GCU too along with trade ins. Would be nice to have BB/CC/Walmart for B&M trades & Amazon for online not to mention one of them would have $10-$20 credits on Nintendo titles since there`s only so many games to go around.

Again, they`re charging $120 upfront for the service(s) it can`t be wrong for a customer to assume/expect them to be able to provide the service they sell. To be brutally honest it`s a damn disgrace that an electronics store has such a crappy system. I`d say if they hired and/or trained 100 people dedicated just to GCU from the ground up & allocated the needed resources GCU would be up to speed in 6 months or less. 3-5 people in power at the top & a team directly under them designated to making sure we see the service at a store level. Investing in a quality advertising campain geared to get trades & subs would be extremely helpful. I`ve never seen a GCU tv ad but with Walmart doing trades you can expect walmarts ads to hit before BB`s.

I certainly don`t want them and/or GCU to go away. Then we`re stuck with TRU/GS/Walmart/Target/Amazon/Kmart/Newegg none of which been has able to compete with what BB has done. If there`s no BB they now can further relax which does no one any good. If CC was still around they may have already introduced their version of GCU too along with trade ins. Would be nice to have BB/CC/Walmart for B&M trades & Amazon for online not to mention one of them would have $10-$20 credits on Nintendo titles since there`s only so many games to go around.
Enuf, you have some solid ideas and work some magic sometimes in your deal math (a lot of it legit but way too much work in my opinion but to each their own), but sometimes I wonder how much experience you have in the business world. Hire and train 100 people? That would easily cost Best Buy $2,500,000 in new salaries/benefits alone (lets just assume these aren't minimum wage employees and are at some sort of manager/specialist level as you describe them as specially trained and figure a wage of about $12 an hour - even at minimum wage this would be a $1,508,000 investment in wages alone). Then you add up the resources to train these new employees, including the cost to staff the people doing the staffing and training. Even without all that, they'd have to sell roughly 20,830 GCU memberships at the full $120 price just to break even on these new employees salaries. This is what some of us are talking about when we say we don't get how some of your ideas would be remotely cost effective to Best buy.

On another point, Walmart had a trade in program before, they never really advertised that either. It eventually crumbled and fell apart to be removed and then replaced by the new program.

Drops

INFAMOUS SECOND SON PLAYSTATION 4 42.00 40.50
TITANFALL XBOX ONE 42.00 40.50
ASSASSINS CREED 4 BLACK FLAG PLAYSTATION 4 40.50 39.00
ASSASSINS CREED 4 BLACK FLAG XBOX ONE 40.50 39.00
SOUTH PARKTHE STICK OF TRUTH PLAYSTATION 3 39.00 36.00
SOUTH PARKTHE STICK OF TRUTH XBOX 360 39.00 36.00
THIEF PLAYSTATION 4 39.00 36.00
THIEF XBOX ONE 39.00 36.00
THIEF PLAYSTATION 3 37.50 33.00
THIEF XBOX 360 37.50 33.00
DISNEY PLANES NINTENDO WII-U 25.50 21.00
ASSASSIN'S CREED 4 BLACK FLAG XBOX 360 19.50 16.50

FYI, CoD Ghosts WiiU is on sale for $30 this week at TRU. Its also green tagged, which per signage means it should be 50% off the lowest ticketed price.

Enuf, you have some solid ideas and work some magic sometimes in your deal math (a lot of it legit but way too much work in my opinion but to each their own), but sometimes I wonder how much experience you have in the business world. Hire and train 100 people? That would easily cost Best Buy $2,500,000 in new salaries/benefits alone (lets just assume these aren't minimum wage employees and are at some sort of manager/specialist level as you describe them as specially trained and figure a wage of about $12 an hour - even at minimum wage this would be a $1,508,000 investment in wages alone). Then you add up the resources to train these new employees, including the cost to staff the people doing the staffing and training. Even without all that, they'd have to sell roughly 20,830 GCU memberships at the full $120 price just to break even on these new employees salaries. This is what some of us are talking about when we say we don't get how some of your ideas would be remotely cost effective to Best buy.

On another point, Walmart had a trade in program before, they never really advertised that either. It eventually crumbled and fell apart to be removed and then replaced by the new program.
You misunderstood me I said "HIRE AND/OR TRAIN" meaning ANY current store rep that would be in position to do a trade in would need to be correctly showed how to. And there should be a "cheat sheet" aka trade in for dummies posted in areas where trades are done. During slow periods in the store 1-3 reps can get a 10-15 minute crash course on trades. Then have each one assist a 1 trade a day till they reach 30 trade ins.
The need people at the top who understand games & the gaming market better, that could look "beyond the numbers" and realize when a game becomes rare they need to increase the trade in value to get stock & then sell it while it`s in demand. The lil stuff BB misses like making the used game $37.99 when the new one is $40.

Here`s recent examples
1-BB doesn`t wanna update their pc so instead they`re plagued with b1g2 free where the highest priced game is free or they don`t send a $20 credit for pre-order out correctly & end up giving $40-$60 to correct the issue on a $60 game.
2-Screwing up the $30 re-ups so badly that people get 3-4 of them
3- What exec brought up the trade in restrictions they almost put in place? He needs training.
4- Even McDonald`s has better store wifi than BB & they got AT&T to help pay the bill. A lot of upgrades can be partly subsidized there`s no limit on the number of partners BB can get to help pay for them. And alot will do it for ad space in various forms.
5- I tried to explain to them that they could offer 2 yrs of GCU & any game up to $60 for free for $120 as a promotion along with the $60 for 2 rs deal. The word "free" has a affect on people & could sway people but some didn`t see the "magic" in the deal from BB`s end.
I had to explain that it was the SAME exact deal but BB would get at least $60 more. The $60 discount comes of the $120 sub & some customers would end up paying $60 for a $10-$50 game. They gave me an accounting issue not realizing the same accounting issue is how the deal works in their favor.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/Free-game-w-new-Gamer-s-Club-Unlocked-sub-promotion/idi-p/800832

I`d prefer BB get non CAG to pay $120 & support the program paying full price along the way if they`re not going to be savvy shoppers & we`ll continue to get the most out of our money.
Even though their screwups work out in our favor it does no good if BB dies in process.

The 2nd makes sense in theory (though a lot of those ideas sound like loss leads)
I had a question for you in regards to "loss leaders" are you referring to an offer like McDonald`s is currently running where you get a free small coffee w/o having to buy something? It`s well known that beverages have some of the highest profit margins in food service sales most of the time the cup cost more than the beverage. So they give the coffee away hoping you buy food in the same transaction.

I don`t put instant giftcards, pre-order credits or discount coupons in the same lane as a loss leader b/c when done correctly the "true value" of the won`t cause much of a loss. In fact, according to the #`s retailers have been giving based upon customers spending habits it works out that a "free" giftcard offer will cause a customer to spend far more then the giftcard amount. Including buying items at full price vs sale price thinking that the discount is "worth it". Others re-gift a giftcard which leads to another potential sale(s) with the same principal. And then there`s the lost, forgotten expired & ultimately unredeemed credits that cost them nothing. Same principal as mail in rebates, the offer looks good but if you pay full price to get it & don`t send it in you lose.

Am I the only one that thinks that Enuf puts more time and effort into running best buy than best buy does?
Nope. Someone already commented that he cares more about BB than BB cares about themselves. He really should just start his own shop.

I'm surprised Dynasty Warriors 8 for PS3 and 360 are still valued so high. Traded in my old copy since I had been away from home for months and brought it for PS4 anyway during that time

You misunderstood me I said "HIRE AND/OR TRAIN" meaning ANY current store rep that would be in position to do a trade in would need to be correctly showed how to. And there should be a "cheat sheet" aka trade in for dummies posted in areas where trades are done. During slow periods in the store 1-3 reps can get a 10-15 minute crash course on trades. Then have each one assist a 1 trade a day till they reach 30 trade ins.
The need people at the top who understand games & the gaming market better, that could look "beyond the numbers" and realize when a game becomes rare they need to increase the trade in value to get stock & then sell it while it`s in demand. The lil stuff BB misses like making the used game $37.99 when the new one is $40.

Here`s recent examples
1-BB doesn`t wanna update their pc so instead they`re plagued with b1g2 free where the highest priced game is free or they don`t send a $20 credit for pre-order out correctly & end up giving $40-$60 to correct the issue on a $60 game.
2-Screwing up the $30 re-ups so badly that people get 3-4 of them
3- What exec brought up the trade in restrictions they almost put in place? He needs training.
4- Even McDonald`s has better store wifi than BB & they got AT&T to help pay the bill. A lot of upgrades can be partly subsidized there`s no limit on the number of partners BB can get to help pay for them. And alot will do it for ad space in various forms.
5- I tried to explain to them that they could offer 2 yrs of GCU & any game up to $60 for free for $120 as a promotion along with the $60 for 2 rs deal. The word "free" has a affect on people & could sway people but some didn`t see the "magic" in the deal from BB`s end.
I had to explain that it was the SAME exact deal but BB would get at least $60 more. The $60 discount comes of the $120 sub & some customers would end up paying $60 for a $10-$50 game. They gave me an accounting issue not realizing the same accounting issue is how the deal works in their favor.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/Free-game-w-new-Gamer-s-Club-Unlocked-sub-promotion/idi-p/800832

I`d prefer BB get non CAG to pay $120 & support the program paying full price along the way if they`re not going to be savvy shoppers & we`ll continue to get the most out of our money.
Even though their screwups work out in our favor it does no good if BB dies in process.

I had a question for you in regards to "loss leaders" are you referring to an offer like McDonald`s is currently running where you get a free small coffee w/o having to buy something? It`s well known that beverages have some of the highest profit margins in food service sales most of the time the cup cost more than the beverage. So they give the coffee away hoping you buy food in the same transaction.

I don`t put instant giftcards, pre-order credits or discount coupons in the same lane as a loss leader b/c when done correctly the "true value" of the won`t cause much of a loss. In fact, according to the #`s retailers have been giving based upon customers spending habits it works out that a "free" giftcard offer will cause a customer to spend far more then the giftcard amount. Including buying items at full price vs sale price thinking that the discount is "worth it". Others re-gift a giftcard which leads to another potential sale(s) with the same principal. And then there`s the lost, forgotten expired & ultimately unredeemed credits that cost them nothing. Same principal as mail in rebates, the offer looks good but if you pay full price to get it & don`t send it in you lose.
You are still talking about a lot of hiring/training. It may seem like a simple thing to do but training, new hires in particular, is incredibly expensive and time consuming for any company; especially one on the scale of Best Buy which so much turn over (and seasonal employees).

Loss lead is a coupon or offer in which the business actually loses money on the offer in hope/with the intent that in getting them in the store they might by something more but more importantly may generate repeat business (make someone into a loyal customer). Groupon operates on this model actually and depending on who you ask it is the worst form of marketing. It tends to appeal mostly to bargain/thrifty shoppers and those same shoppers only tend to return for another deal.

McDonald's free small coffee is technically a loss lead, but the risk is minimal to McDonald's. Most people aren't going to go out of their way for just a free small regular coffee (i.e. the value is minimal) and the customers are very likely to buy a sandwich or whatever to go with it. If they don't McDonald's is only out probably a penny or so at the volume they purchase coffee.

You want to know the main reason most of you ideas fall of deaf ears at Best Buy? Gaming isn't profitable enough to warrant that much thought and effort. Best Buy probably makes more on the phone section of the store in a day than they make profit in the gaming section in a week.

Quick question just to clarify.  So Best buy does a limit 3 of each game PER CONSOLE right?  So I would be ok trading in for example, 2 copies of Diablo 3 for xbox 360 and 2 copies of Diablo 3 for ps3?  Thanks for the reply.  I don't want to randomly get banned if they only do a limit 3 for each title regardless of which console it is. 

Quick question just to clarify. So Best buy does a limit 3 of each game PER CONSOLE right? So I would be ok trading in for example, 2 copies of Diablo 3 for xbox 360 and 2 copies of Diablo 3 for ps3? Thanks for the reply. I don't want to randomly get banned if they only do a limit 3 for each title regardless of which console it is.
That is correct. It is only GCU discount purchases that are limited to title, not platform.

bread's done
Back