Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like Halo Reach but I might trade it in because I think I'll be able to get it for under $30 in the near future.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Okay, couple of quick questions. I've searched for the answer but it doesn't come up with anything. I'm sure that these have been asked many times, so please bear with me.

1. How many copies of each game can you trade-in at Best Buy?
3. How many games can you trade-in at a time?
3. Do you need instruction manual, case, and cover?
4. How often can you trade-in?[/QUOTE]

You didn't look close enough on the site. FYI all of the answers are in their FAQs but I'll answer them here cause I'm in a good mood after finding copies of TopSpin 4 for $16 and locking in the $30 TIV.

1. 3 of each game from each platform.
2. As many as you want given above limit.
3. Yes, if you choose "complete", it means complete. Art, case, disk (minimal scratches), manual.
4. As often as you want given limit noted in #1.

One question that I had to dig for was how long do you have to send in the games - It's 30 days from checkout.

[quote name='bob330i']You didn't look close enough on the site. FYI all of the answers are in their FAQs but I'll answer them here cause I'm in a good mood after finding copies of TopSpin 4 for $16 and locking in the $30 TIV.

1. 3 of each game from each platform.
2. As many as you want given above limit.
3. Yes, if you choose "complete", it means complete. Art, case, disk (minimal scratches), manual.
4. As often as you want given limit noted in #1.

One question that I had to dig for was how long do you have to send in the games - It's 30 days from checkout.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help.

[quote name='havuk']anyone know if u get the kz3/lbp 2 for $20 if you buy socom4 FD edition?[/QUOTE]

Yes,
link:http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292300
but if you want both for $20 each you'll need to buy a second copy of Socom 4.

FYI:before anyone ask if you try the return/rebuy with the second Socom 4 copy they'll just deduct the $30 saved from socom 4...
Socom 4 FD $150 + KZ3 $20= $170 + tax(they'll give you $120 back)
Socom 4 $60 + LBP2 $20= $80 + tax(they'll give you $30 back)

[quote name='bob330i']You didn't look close enough on the site. FYI all of the answers are in their FAQs but I'll answer them here cause I'm in a good mood after finding copies of TopSpin 4 for $16 and locking in the $30 TIV.
.[/QUOTE]

Where did you get Topspin 4 for $16? :bouncy:

^Gamestop used with power up card, there is more about it 1 page back.

Also I still don't know if you can trade just one game for $30

[quote name='Stimes']^Gamestop used with power up card, there is more about it 1 page back.

Also I still don't know if you can trade just one game for $30[/QUOTE]

You can, it's just 60+ because the 2 games add up to 60+

The trade in estimator online is the same system they use in store, so if you're concerned about values just check online the same day you take the games over.

Thanks etcrane, I guess the title of this thread confused me, now I have to decide if I should trade in Halo Reach or not.

Top Spin 4 shows up as $25 now for the 360, $20 for the Wii, and ouch $16 for PS3

[quote name='Stimes']Thanks etcrane, I guess the title of this thread confused me, now I have to decide if I should trade in Halo Reach or not.

Top Spin 4 shows up as $25 now for the 360, $20 for the Wii, and ouch $16 for PS3[/QUOTE]

LOL, yeah they removed all three from the $30 promo sheet. You can see the blanks where they were

[quote name='Stimes']^Gamestop used with power up card, there is more about it 1 page back.

Also I still don't know if you can trade just one game for $30[/QUOTE]

Yep on both. 17.99 used at GS, minus 10% for the PUR. I believe you can put in just one and get $30. I put in 3 and confirmed $90 total TIV. Just have to wait for my 3rd one from the Langer's juice promo.

I have a copy of Halo Reach from the Legendary Edition, will they accept this as a trade? I got a free copy of Reach from that Xbox Beta Disc Format thing.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']I have a copy of Halo Reach from the Legendary Edition, will they accept this as a trade? I got a free copy of Reach from that Xbox Beta Disc Format thing.[/QUOTE]

if they look up the game by title then there shouldnt be a problem

but if they are upc nazis then no way they will accept it

[quote name='cheeky']LOL, yeah they removed all three from the $30 promo sheet. You can see the blanks where they were[/QUOTE]

This can be the fallout from the Fallout flipping phenomena.

yeah, wow lots of tiv's keep dropping! Brunswich bowling down from 15 to 7. red alert 3 down 17 to 11. and the medal of honor 25 to 8, fallout new vegas25 to 9, sw fu 25 to 9, top spin4 30 to lower, bakugan down 10 to 5, dead to rights down 15 to 6. de blob down 30 to 16, homefront down 38 to 16 now 30, lol. i guess all tiv's go down, but this was a big batch. the only ones i saw go up were nfs hot pursuit, top spin for a day, and dead rising 2 still at 30, woot. gt prologue 12 to 7. high velocity bowling 15 to 6. killzone 2 15 to 7. kung fu rider 15 to 6. Aragorn's Quest 15 to 11. MAG 12 to 5. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 12 to 7. Mini Ninjas 10 to 6. Naughty Bear 10 to 6. Quantum of Solace 10 to 5. racquet sports 15 to 6. Resident evil 5 15 to 9, resistance 2 15 to 5. rockband 3 20 to 13. civ rev 15 to 6. wow i have all of these for ps3. i even forgot to lock in some like 007 QoS cuz i just thought they would be 10 forever. lol. so now i have alot of speed gaming to do in the next 3 weeks. omg

[quote name='steve nash']if they look up the game by title then there shouldnt be a problem

but if they are upc nazis then no way they will accept it[/QUOTE]

That's what happened to me today. After all this I took in my copy of Halo Reach and Top Spin 4 in today and got denied. The UPC was one number off on Halo Reach (it was from the legendary bundle) and the wouldn't give me anything for Top Spin 4 because it said "image not available" where the picture is supposed to be on there web site. Oh well, I have Top Spin 4 locked in for $30 on Amazon and I think I'll just keep Halo. Best Buy's customer service still sucks ass and now I remember why I try not to shop there.

[quote name='Stimes']That's what happened to me today. After all this I took in my copy of Halo Reach and Top Spin 4 in today and got denied. The UPC was one number off on Halo Reach (it was from the legendary bundle) and the wouldn't give me anything for Top Spin 4 because it said "image not available" where the picture is supposed to be on there web site. Oh well, I have Top Spin 4 locked in for $30 on Amazon and I think I'll just keep Halo. Best Buy's customer service still sucks ass and now I remember why I try not to shop there.[/QUOTE]

I traded Halo Reach from legendary two days ago, first he scanned the barcode and nothing showed up. And then, he just searched for the name and used whatever he found on the computer for my trade in. Also for the Top spin 4, I traded 3 games for ps3 without a hassle. It's just vary from store to store. It sucks when you get the who's dumb or lazy to do the trade. Last time I got denied, I almost punched the manager for stupidity. He said, "they don't accept used or preowned games, we only accept brand new shrink wrap games for trade in". Why the hell I want to trade a brand new game for lesser value?

[quote name='Stimes']That's what happened to me today. After all this I took in my copy of Halo Reach and Top Spin 4 in today and got denied. The UPC was one number off on Halo Reach (it was from the legendary bundle) and the wouldn't give me anything for Top Spin 4 because it said "image not available" where the picture is supposed to be on there web site. Oh well, I have Top Spin 4 locked in for $30 on Amazon and I think I'll just keep Halo. Best Buy's customer service still sucks ass and now I remember why I try not to shop there.[/QUOTE]

Print out the correct info from this link & take it in with you they can just type it in manually.

http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm?kw=Halo+reach&pf=all

Just went in with Top Spin 4 X360, and got $25. Not bad considering I needed it today and couldn't wait for the $27.25 that Amazon is offering.

just got my 25$ gamestop gc. too bad top spin is oos in my area. I wish i could flip my gc to amazon gc

I can confirm Top Spin 4 on xbox is only valued at $25 now. It seems some Best Buys in my area require a fingerprint scan when you trade in, while others do not.

So I went into Best Buy yesterday and the guy @ the Customer Service window stated that I couldn't turn in any of the games I brought for trade-in due to a camera not working. He then stated they were required to take a photo and thumb print for trade-ins. Are they serious? Not into the Orwellian measures. Would you like to take a sample of my DNA as well? I rather just keep my games or sell them on eBay.

[quote name='shujikun']So I went into Best Buy yesterday and the guy @ the Customer Service window stated that I couldn't turn in any of the games I brought for trade-in due to a camera not working. He then stated they were required to take a photo and thumb print for trade-ins. Are they serious? Not into the Orwellian measures. Would you like to take a sample of my DNA as well? I rather just keep my games or sell them on eBay.[/QUOTE]

What? You must be joking.... right?

[quote name='shujikun']So I went into Best Buy yesterday and the guy @ the Customer Service window stated that I couldn't turn in any of the games I brought for trade-in due to a camera not working. He then stated they were required to take a photo and thumb print for trade-ins. Are they serious? Not into the Orwellian measures. Would you like to take a sample of my DNA as well? I rather just keep my games or sell them on eBay.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the pitfalls they are falling into while trying to get into the used game market. That is, the more complicated it is to trade games in, the less likely people are to choose you as their trade in location.

I thought this was a state-specific law? Some states have a pawn-shop law that requires fingerprinting for selling used merch to a retailer. I know it's this way in Utah, and varies city to city in California. It's not that way in New York City. I've never had to photo/fingerprint at BB for a trade-in.

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']What? You must be joking.... right?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I am not kidding, but I'm not too worried about it. It just gives me an excuse to replay RDR.

@bh47: That could very well be what the issue is, since I usually trade-in games in my hometown versus the next town over where Best Buy is located. I'll look into it.

The laws vary state to state and city to city. I know that the one pawn shop here requires you to get a snapshot taken when trading in certain stuff, but for shit like games they don't give a crap.

You should check into your local laws for your area to find out if BB is going overboard or not and if they are then let corporate know.

It's not a Best Buy requirement, it is the pawn law for that store's city/state.

I have one gamestop less than 3 minutes from another, but it is in another city... finger printing is required...at another store, they scan your DLicense while at another nearby, nothing is required...
BBuy or GS - when trading in games, pawn laws apply.

Anyone notice that the list for the Trade 2 get 50 has been updated with MK/Portal 2. Top Spin 4 is still on the there. So you could buy it new from GS and trade 2 copies in for 50. Also, Spiderman Shattered Dimensions and Borderlands GOTY are on there.

[quote name='trig']just got my 25$ gamestop gc. too bad top spin is oos in my area. I wish i could flip my gc to amazon gc[/QUOTE]

I think you mean BB gift card. Buy a $25 kindle card at BB.

How would they know? Some BB ask for receipts from bestbuy. Also, I have no idea what that poster said about top spin 4 being back on the list and being able to be bought new at gs. Guy is smoking some loco weed.

[quote name='chuckywang']So my Best Buy told me they can't take any games that I bought used. They can only take in games that I bought new. Is this true??[/QUOTE]

I think they basically mean they won't take any game that has another store's used stickers on them. Fye was the same way a few years ago.

I traded in Halo reach and Dead Rising 2 and the entire process took damn near an hour. The employees acted like they didn't want to do it, some asshole manager was using the only working register at Geek squad for nearly 20 minutes (you better believe I'm venting to corporate about this) just checking stuff. To top it off, the guy didn't bother to open the cases to check and see if there were even any discs inside.

The one thing I give to gamestop 100% is that if I want to trade games into gamestop, I can trade them in. Fye, best buy, blockbuster and Cex act like I'm inconveniencing them half the time and have one reason or another as to why they won't take trade ins on a particular day.

think I might trade WWE All Stars in for $30...was hoping I could get around $40 for it but I could just add this to my Christmas gift card (stashing for the PS3 price drop after E3)..thanks for the updated list OP

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I think they basically mean they won't take any game that has another store's used stickers on them. Fye was the same way a few years ago.

I traded in Halo reach and Dead Rising 2 and the entire process took damn near an hour. The employees acted like they didn't want to do it, some asshole manager was using the only working register at Geek squad for nearly 20 minutes (you better believe I'm venting to corporate about this) just checking stuff. To top it off, the guy didn't bother to open the cases to check and see if there were even any discs inside.

The one thing I give to gamestop 100% is that if I want to trade games into gamestop, I can trade them in. Fye, best buy, blockbuster and Cex act like I'm inconveniencing them half the time and have one reason or another as to why they won't take trade ins on a particular day.[/QUOTE]
Some stores only have X amount allotted per day to pay out for games traded in. Once they reach that amount, then they are no longer required to take trades. I've run into this before myself and after politely asking a manager as to why they stopped taking trades that is what I was told.

But I'm definitely glad that the places other than Gamestop only seem to take in great condition stuff, as it's more of a hassle to me to have to stand there and ask to see 4-6 copies of a game before I find ONE that's in tolerable enough condition to buy. I've almost NEVER had that problem with FYE. So while it's convenient for many to trade in games to Gamestop, that's also the main problem with their inventory, in that they allow so much garbage condition stuff that should've been dumpstered to be traded in.

As for the impatience at the lengthy trade-in process at Best Buy, I've run into that too, but it didn't bother me quite as much as it seems to bother MANY on here and elsewhere. The employees there aren't specifically trained on taking games in for trade unless someone comes in with games to trade and then they just stand there and learn on the fly from someone who knows how to do the process. I guess to corporate it makes more sense to just train the employees when they run into the situation and have them doing other things rather than wasting time the employees could be stocking shelves or whatever doing so.

I have never and probably will never understand why so many people on CAG and elsewhere are so damned impatient at the process taking longer than 5 minutes. If you're that inconvenienced by waiting longer than half a nanosecond to trade games in, you do realize that Best Buy still takes games in trade via the website as well, right? Albeit if you think the wait of 20+ minutes in store is intolerable, imagine how aggravated you'll be when it takes a month to get mailed a gift card for your game trades after mailing them in.

So I wanted trade in my copy of Bulletstorm. I went to the Union Square Best Buy in NYC. Disaster. The guy in the front of the store told me to go to customer service. I waited 20 minutes and when I got to the front she told

me to go to the gaming section. I go there and wait another 30 minutes. The employees are slow and clueless. He tells me I cannot trade in because I don't have a Best Buy receipt. That BB hasn't gotten a used gaming license

yet for NY. He told me to go to Jersey to trade in. I just wanted to smack him for wasting my time. Afterwards, I decide to go to the BB on 23 street. They take in my trade in but the process is slow. It took like 30 minutes

before I was able to leave the store. It seems nobody trained them on how to do it. I was just glad to get the trade in done since Bulletstorm value went down. I was worried it might not get accepted due to not being the Epic

Edition. I think the girl thought it was the Epic Edition based on the Epic Studios logo. They need to work on communication and training better. I shouldn't have to waste so much time in the store to get a trade-in done.

Just so I can clarify--would I get a $25 gift card if I trade in only one game from the list? Thanks in advance for the help.

Yeah im wondering that too. And if its lower than 25 on the estimator then does it bump it to 25? I have a friend who is going to trade some stuff in and I couldnt tell him if he could just trade the one and get 25. He is gonna trade in 4 games in a groups of 2 just in case.

You can trade 1. There's no bonus bump or anything. The trade in estimator is the latest trade value. If it's lower than $25 on that, then it's lower than $25 and the trade value has changed.

[quote name='confoosious']You can trade 1. There's no bonus bump or anything. The trade in estimator is the latest trade value. If it's lower than $25 on that, then it's lower than $25 and the trade value has changed.[/QUOTE]

Okay, so trading in 1 game with a TIV of less than $25 like Fable 3 on the "Trade in 2 games for a gift card of at least $50" list will simply give me the TIV from the estimator, whereas if I were to trade in 2 games with TIV's of less than $25 each on the same list like Man Vs Wild and Fable 3, I would get a $50 gift card?

[quote name='confoosious']no. forget the trade 2 for 50 list.

just look up the values on the site. that's what you get regardless of how many games you trade in.[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks for the help :)

it says list was updated. but from where? im checking the ps3 added games on bestbuytradein.com and none of the newly added ones get 25 at all. hasbro family game night 3 gets 9, man vs wild gets 15, nba jam is 11.
where did you add these from? unless they dropped in last hour or so, or is this inside info of a future tiv hike?
i clicked the link, and i see the list, but i wouldnt trust that at all. you might want to revise the op list again.

i don't trust tiv's i can't lock in. lol. but i hope these are real/i.e. they update the bestbuytradein.com soon. some free rentals to be had if this is legit.

Rather than risk the tivs dropping over night, especially the Kirby, which isn't on the list anymore I just decided to mail them in instead, that way the tivs are locked. It's free postage, so the only negative is the 2-3 week wait.

[quote name='Velo214']it says list was updated. but from where? im checking the ps3 added games on bestbuytradein.com and none of the newly added ones get 25 at all. hasbro family game night 3 gets 9, man vs wild gets 15, nba jam is 11.
where did you add these from? unless they dropped in last hour or so, or is this inside info of a future tiv hike?
i clicked the link, and i see the list, but i wouldnt trust that at all. you might want to revise the op list again.[/QUOTE]I'm similarly suspicious--Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition was recently added to the "list", but its TIV is only $9 according to the Estimator. Does anyone know why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back