Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chuckywang']I'm talking about Best Buy SKUs, which are 7 digits long. Not UPC numbers. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I have "1228514" (for $50 Amazon GC) but it won't show anything online since they don't carry those cards online.

this is gonna be like a bank panic on amazon kindle cards, they won't know why, lol. i just hope its still good til next week when i get 400~ credit/ god i dont want to be stuck with bestbuy credit!

[quote name='Velo214']this is gonna be like a bank panic on amazon kindle cards, they won't know why, lol. i just hope its still good til next week when i get 400~ credit/ god i dont want to be stuck with bestbuy credit![/QUOTE]

Haha, when I was at Best Buy earlier today they were sold out of the $25 Kindle cards and only had the $50 cards left (thankfully I had $50 in BB cards to convert anyway).

Just wondering, what IS the point of trading the sim 3 to best buy and game stop? It is selling for 20 dollar at amazon and bb take them for 25 bucks. Not much profit margin there.... spcially when Illinois don;t sell best buy kindle gift card lol.

So I went to best buy, and tried to price the COD games and trade World at war in. She said you can't double dip on the promotion with the gift card, So I was like alright. Then I said Ill take the games without the giftcard but price matching the toysrus price. Then she said, which of the two games, I said both, she said only one. I walk back to the car.

[quote name='confoosious']Go again. To a different BB if you need to. It's 3 per platform.[/QUOTE]

They keep a record of the stuff you trade in, it says it on the site, you can't trade more than 3 of a game in a year. They give you copies of an itemized trade list and make you sign shit, so if it comes back stolen they can find you.

They are fuckin amateurs, like I said, Rhino Video games used to do this back in like 2002.

Traded in 2 copies of World at War for the Xbox and 2 for the PS3. Used yesterday's gift card to purchase today's trade fodder. The supervisor had no issue with pricematching four copies. And the cashier happily gave me my two $30 gift cards. I think I'm done with beating the system for now.

[quote name='imacgod']Traded in 2 copies of World at War for the Xbox and 2 for the PS3. Used yesterday's gift card to purchase today's trade fodder. The supervisor had no issue with pricematching four copies. And the cashier happily gave me my two $30 gift cards. I think I'm done with beating the system for now.[/QUOTE]

Im jelly, my Best buy's blueshirts actually uphold their policy's. DAMN YOU MORALS/WRITTEN IN STORE LAW.

[quote name='hustletron']They keep a record of the stuff you trade in, it says it on the site, you can't trade more than 3 of a game in a year. They give you copies of an itemized trade list and make you sign shit, so if it comes back stolen they can find you.

They are fuckin amateurs, like I said, Rhino Video games used to do this back in like 2002.[/QUOTE]

Limit: We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED.

I don't know if this has been clarified or not, but how does the Kindle GCs work? Do you have to use it only for kindle-related products or can it be used for general amazon.com purchases? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='whatup5']I don't know if this has been clarified or not, but how does the Kindle GCs work? Do you have to use it only for kindle-related products or can it be used for general amazon.com purchases? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

It's just a normal Amazon gift card. It can be used to buy anything on Amazon except other gift cards.

I wonder if I should call Best Buy tomorrow to see if they have any Amazon cards and do they take BB cards for them. I don't want trade in my FFXIII and not be able to get the card for it.

I'm not sure why people are so fixated on getting Kindle cards. While Amazon is still tops in my book for video game shopping, Best Buy does have an occasional decent sale.

And while we're on the topic, one of the two Best Buys I visited today only had 2 $25 Kindle cards left. Plenty of $50 ones left. Guess people are panicking.

[quote name='imacgod']I'm not sure why people are so fixated on getting Kindle cards. While Amazon is still tops in my book for video game shopping, Best Buy does have an occasional decent sale.

And while we're on the topic, one of the two Best Buys I visited today only had 2 $25 Kindle cards left. Plenty of $50 ones left. Guess people are panicking.[/QUOTE]

I think it's more like people having the option, so if they get $100 trading stuff into bestbuy, they can turn some of that to amazon so they have like $75 credit at amazon and $25 at bestbuy instead of $100 full at bestbuy.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Just wondering, what IS the point of trading the sim 3 to best buy and game stop? It is selling for 20 dollar at amazon and bb take them for 25 bucks. Not much profit margin there.... spcially when Illinois don;t sell best buy kindle gift card lol.[/QUOTE]

Why doesn't Illinois carry Kindle Gift Cards? They sell everything else Kindle don't they?

Successfully traded a game in paper sleeves. It was Mass Effect 2 and I had the cover art as well. Traded in like 11 games that were complete and that was the only one that didnt. At first they said they were gonna have to take some off it, or atleast thats what the manager told him after he asked but they ended up giving me the full value.

They had the Kindle GCs in a different spot this time. Instead of being at the front, they were beside the Kindles.

Also, there wonderful employees gave no help on finding a Fat Princess download code. Had 4-5 employees not have a clue. I remembered seeing the game on one of the TV displays, and thats where you do it.

[quote name='imacgod']I'm not sure why people are so fixated on getting Kindle cards. While Amazon is still tops in my book for video game shopping, Best Buy does have an occasional decent sale.

And while we're on the topic, one of the two Best Buys I visited today only had 2 $25 Kindle cards left. Plenty of $50 ones left. Guess people are panicking.[/QUOTE]

Best buy is for buying toys, amazon is for buying literally anything except milk (and you can probably get milk there too, but that would be weird).

Call of Duty W@W is off the 3 for $60 list now, but is still $20 on the estimator, if anyone has a copy they want to get rid of today is probably your last chance to do it for a good price.

[quote name='confoosious']Limit: We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED.[/QUOTE]

Dude you're telling me stuff I already know.

The kid was like "I can't take anymore the computer won't let me."

What am I supposed to do? Walk around and look at the computer myself? Tell him he's lying? Another reason why I hate bestbuy, most of the employees are cock suckers and everything is ALWAYS overpriced or MSRP. I'll take advantage of them every chance I can get. For all I know the kid knew what I was doing and was just trying to hate on me and refuse to take the other 2.

I'm gonna try again at another BB but they don't have their shit together at all with regards to this program, it's painfully obvious. I was asking questions about the program since he seemed to know so much, asked him about trading consoles and he told me they didn't do it at that store, only online, I asked if they needed the bar code/serial they didn't know, "maybe" was their answer.

[quote name='hustletron']Dude you're telling me stuff I already know.

The kid was like "I can't take anymore the computer won't let me."

What am I supposed to do? Walk around and look at the computer myself? Tell him he's lying? Another reason why I hate bestbuy, most of the employees are cock suckers and everything is ALWAYS overpriced or MSRP. I'll take advantage of them every chance I can get. For all I know the kid knew what I was doing and was just trying to hate on me and refuse to take the other 2.

I'm gonna try again at another BB but they don't have their shit together at all with regards to this program, it's painfully obvious. I was asking questions about the program since he seemed to know so much, asked him about trading consoles and he told me they didn't do it at that store, only online, I asked if they needed the bar code/serial they didn't know, "maybe" was their answer.[/QUOTE]

Pull up the thing that confoosusisisisusuus quoted on your phone or take a print-out of it with you and ask to talk to a manager (that is what I did at one BB and it worked). If you don't want that kind of attention, then just come back later or go to a different BB.

Their program is a mess, but that is part of the price to be paid for TIVs that are 4X GS

[quote name='DerClaw']Pull up the thing that confoosusisisisusuus quoted on your phone or take a print-out of it with you and ask to talk to a manager (that is what I did at one BB and it worked). If you don't want that kind of attention, then just come back later or go to a different BB.

Their program is a mess, but that is part of the price to be paid for TIVs that are 4X GS[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm going to do, just at a different BB. Hell I might even go back to the same one, I don't shop at BB enough to care. It was actually a weekly parent outting yesterday when we went so I wasn't trying to make a scene or be there a long time.

But I'm not above making a scene when I know I'm right ;)

[quote name='confoosious']while you're there, ask them if the change in the website means games don't have to be complete anymore.[/QUOTE]

Lol I'll ask but I doubt they'll even have a clue what I'm talking about.

i actually traded in an incomplete game today. There was so question about whether it would give me full value if they put it no artwork. (It's unclear whether the bb in store system now reflects the web site where it doesn't even ask)

In the end, I couldn't tell if she a) just put in artwork = yes b) it didn't ask for it or c) didn't matter. But I got full value on a game without the cover art.

That would be a good way to get rid of my sports champions for 20tiv without the not for resale upc. god why did i buy a move bundle? lol children of eden?

Also, I even traded Pokemon Soulsilver without the cardboard box and there is no bar code on the back, it has the "Not for Resale". Didnt even realize it until he said something, said it was alright.

FYI: "Free" rental or just about of Uncharted 2 or Uncharted 2 GOTY edition this week. It's on sale for $19.99(not sure if that's just for today or not though) and trades back in for $20.

So if you have some BB credit and always wanted to play Uncharted 2, now is the time to do so.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']FYI: "Free" rental or just about of Uncharted 2 or Uncharted 2 GOTY edition this week. It's on sale for $19.99(not sure if that's just for today or not though) and trades back in for $20.

So if you have some BB credit and always wanted to play Uncharted 2, now is the time to do so.;)[/QUOTE]

If anything you can get the DLC for "free". If you already have a Best Buy giftcard then it would be free from trading stuff in.

Nice deal. If Brink wasnt coming out, Id probably grab it.

Traded in my reg Uncharted 2 for the GOTY edition and also traded in my used and scratched up Fallout: NV for a new copy. Also traded in NFS: Hot Pursuit for $30 and Force Unleased II for $20. Picked up Dragon Age II and Dead to Rights: Retribution with that credit. Just had to pay the $5 tax for those swaps.

I wish i knew if NFS Hot Pursuit was getting like a complete edition like they did with battlefield bad company 2. they already have the dlc pack for $20, so it isn't that unimaginable and it is EA. $30 is alot and I got the game for 40 with the kmart deal when it came out...

Disappointed with the new list. I was really hoping MW2 would make it to the $20 list after we got WaW last week. Also hoping for more DS titles to make it.

As far as I know, stores are now able to accept games with/without case or manuals for full value, shouldn't be an issue.

Of course YMMV, but my understanding it's a company wide policy now.

[quote name='xx1jpt5xx']kinda bummed they dropped world at war.[/QUOTE]

It was on there for over a week, it is kind of weird that they removed it the same day the CoD sale was over though.

[quote name='Stimes']It was on there for over a week, it is kind of weird that they removed it the same day the CoD sale was over though.[/QUOTE]

Dont worry, I took full advantage of it last week. Im surprised killzone 2 is still up there.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Traded in my reg Uncharted 2 for the GOTY edition and also traded in my used and scratched up Fallout: NV for a new copy. Also traded in NFS: Hot Pursuit for $30 and Force Unleased II for $20. Picked up Dragon Age II and Dead to Rights: Retribution with that credit. Just had to pay the $5 tax for those swaps.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I guess because it is a gift card? Was about to ask why tax with credit.

Turned in a no manual Uncharted 2 today - no issue whatsoever....

Now it's a question of when PSN will be up so I can actually download the bonus content :whistle2:/

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Turned in a no manual Uncharted 2 today - no issue whatsoever....

Now it's a question of when PSN will be up so I can actually download the bonus content :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

They are saying full functionality by the end of may now. Really hope they get it up before then though.

[quote name='onyzukae']what about GOW 3 ps3 ? BB-TRADE IN website show me only GH ver.
they will take GOD 3 org. too?[/QUOTE]

Yes they will take it, I traded in a non GH version of GOW 3 on Saturday.

So i did great at Bestbuy. Traded in god of war collection, killzone 2, brunswich bowling, uncharted 2, sports champions all for 20, and sims 3 for 25.

Sports Champions they weren't gonna take at first cuz i cut out the not for resale spot of the art where upc would be. She asked if i got it from the Move bundle and I said yeah, and she said it isn't for resale. So I asked her if they even needed the art anymore because online it says disk only. She called up a manager and she said yeah they just take disks. I said wow, so im giving all these cases/art/manuals and you only want the disks? and she goes off saying that the cases just take up more inventory and space and that just piling the disks is a great space saving technique(lol!) so im like whatever, but they still took my cases/art etc, but gave me 20 for sports champions without having to walk out/walk in. but for now on im gonna save my cases/art/manuals if i plan on buying back the game again used/cheap.

Peace all. oh yeah and i got another 150 amazon credit. lol im banking out!

[quote name='jam86']As far as I know, stores are now able to accept games with/without case or manuals for full value, shouldn't be an issue.

Of course YMMV, but my understanding it's a company wide policy now.[/QUOTE]

It is a company wide policy. The notice went out last week.

[quote name='finstersucks']i hate best buy. I was suppose to get a $100 gc in the mail and I only got $65. Second bad experience with this trade in crap. WTF?[/QUOTE]

Read the first page before you start your rant.

If you use the promo for LA Noire is it just a regular giftcard you can use for anything?

Also I noticed they take old cell phones. My 5 year old Motorla Q will get me $17 credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back