Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Royal High Knight']So wait your saying go in there with the broken disc and tell them that it "accidently" got stepped on or something, show them the warranty and they'll give me a new copy?[/QUOTE]

You bought the game at Best Buy and you bought the warranty/replacement plan, right? If so, go in there, tell them you stepped on it and you need a new one. I'm not sure what SeanTM22 is talking about.

[quote name='URABAHN']You bought the game at Best Buy and you bought the warranty/replacement plan, right? If so, go in there, tell them you stepped on it and you need a new one. I'm not sure what SeanTM22 is talking about.[/QUOTE]

Have you done this before and when? I just want my copy of MK back so I can play it and trade it in in the next month for so.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']Have you done this before and when? I just want my copy of MK back so I can play it and trade it in in the next month for so.[/QUOTE]

I've been through my fair share of controllers that stopped working due to excessive force. I'm pretty sure you can go to any Best Buy, call the toll-free # if you want the official word.

[quote name='soliddragon']Any one trade in Little Big Planet 2 CE to them? It has no barcode! Halp![/QUOTE]

Trade it in disc only.
Then sell all the crap it came with on ebay.

[quote name='soliddragon']Any one trade in Little Big Planet 2 CE to them? It has no barcode! Halp![/QUOTE]

i traded the game in its case and manual in store with no issues

[quote name='perdition(troy']quick question on the 3 copy limit. is it three per game, no matter what system, or 3 ps3, 3 360 etc.[/QUOTE]

Your answer is in the first post.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems.

[quote name='mith0s']Two Worlds II still the best flip with GS B2G1 going on?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Also Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12, and Bulletstorm all trade in for $30, and are currently on sale for $34.99 used.
The B2G1 applies to these titles.
and yesterday when i was trading in Dead Space 2 the guy fucked up and gave me $30 per disc. :D

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Yup. Also Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12, and Bulletstorm all trade in for $30, and are currently on sale for $34.99 used.
The B2G1 applies to these titles.
and yesterday when i was trading in Dead Space 2 the guy fucked up and gave me $30 per disc. :D[/QUOTE]

The general consensus in the B2G1F thread says the opposite re: EA sale prices qualifying. They ring up as 47.99 when bought in 3s. Did it actually work for you? Was it an override?

Any document saying that you can just trade in the disc and still get full value?

I've got a copy of FO: NV w/out the manual and I don't wanna get any headaches over it...

[quote name='radioactivez0r']The general consensus in the B2G1F thread says the opposite re: EA sale prices qualifying. They ring up as 47.99 when bought in 3s. Did it actually work for you? Was it an override?[/QUOTE]

It's YMMV. The system won't allow it, and the manager I talked to from two local stores said no. But, people have reported manual overrides working for them.

In all cases, it is an override. It's not automatic.

Looks like I'm trading in Bulletstorm, Portal 2 and maybe NFS Hot Pursuit/Tiger woods 12, since each are $30. Would really help out with getting my DSLR camera :)

[quote name='aznhero913']Any document saying that you can just trade in the disc and still get full value?

I've got a copy of FO: NV w/out the manual and I don't wanna get any headaches over it...[/QUOTE]
I don't have documents, but I traded a game with no manual at the store and the employee ask me if I had the manual...I said no, do I need one.... and she said they make she ask, but it doesn't matter.

I asked what if I didn't have the case.....she told me they can't accept it. This is not 100%..i think.

[quote name='aznhero913']Any document saying that you can just trade in the disc and still get full value?

I've got a copy of FO: NV w/out the manual and I don't wanna get any headaches over it...[/QUOTE]

You know it doesn't matter even if you have a signed note from Mr. Best Buy himself right?

They'll do whatever they want and make up rules on the spot. Just ask anyone who has tried to PM a gift card deal at Best Buy and got denied.

So, a document is unnecessary and inconsequential.

Does anyone know if the 3 per version rule is store specific or if the system they use it tied to all best buys. It's my fault but I ended up with 4 copies of the 360 version of Two Worlds 2. Is there no way to trade in that last one?

[quote name='hoaznod']Does anyone know if the 3 per version rule is store specific or if the system they use it tied to all best buys. It's my fault but I ended up with 4 copies of the 360 version of Two Worlds 2. Is there no way to trade in that last one?[/QUOTE]

I think you can try. They are suppose to reject it but I think it's at the discretion of the person doing the trade in and not something the system rejects automatically.

But know that they all share the same account. And also, the online team has access to your instore trade in history. So you risk getting banned if they ever got around to enforcing their rules. Although nobody has reported being banned by BB/Dealtree.

[quote name='hoaznod']Does anyone know if the 3 per version rule is store specific or if the system they use it tied to all best buys. It's my fault but I ended up with 4 copies of the 360 version of Two Worlds 2. Is there no way to trade in that last one?[/QUOTE]

Get your GF to do it? It's tied to your account in the BB system. They won't take a 4th. A lenient GS may let you swap for a PS3 version.

More often than not, the 3 per version rule is something enforced on the server side. We do trade ins all the time and as long as the person doing it doesn't care, or you happen to catch various people instead of the same (read: stickler) guy, I've yet to see it go through where it denies a game outright. Then again, I would guarantee it'd be more harshly enforced if people took the mail check rather than the gift card.

[quote name='sasuke543']Does any know how often the list changes for the 2 for $60 promotion going on?[/QUOTE]
The most likely changes are going to come on Sundays when ads also post and games have had a chance to circulate. Otherwise, no releases, it's doubtful it'll get changed.

[quote name='confoosious']How many copies of Two Worlds II do you guys think moved from GS to BB today? 1000?[/QUOTE]

At least 1000, there are a lot of lurkers out there.

[quote name='confoosious']so $30,000+ of merchandise they're gonna have to sell at $10 or less. poor BB.

btw the voice acting in this game is horrendous.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm not the only one that kept one of six copies of tw2 that I got today, the game is terrible. Hopefully it holds at $30 tomorrow.

[quote name='atc250es']I guess I'm not the only one that kept one of six copies of tw2 that I got today, the game is terrible. Hopefully it holds at $30 tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I bought 6 too.. ( went 5 gamestop today .....-_- )

So is Brink selling for $35 even with the b2g1 free offer at GS? I thought that wouldn't work due to the "not combining deals" rule.

My $10 off used PUR coupon worked with the B2G1 for me today. Grabbed TW2 for both systems and Brink for 360 and it took $10 off Brink, which knocked it down to $25, which then made it the free game. Came to just over $50 for the three games. Already gave TW2 a spin, and HOLY SHIT that game is awful. Traded them in to BB for a $60 gift card. Hoping Brink will be a keeper, but if not it'll go to BB too assuming the TIV holds for a few more days.

[quote name='polly']My $10 off used PUR coupon worked with the B2G1 for me today. Grabbed TW2 for both systems and Brink for 360 and it took $10 off Brink, which knocked it down to $25, which then made it the free game. Came to just over $50 for the three games. Already gave TW2 a spin, and HOLY SHIT that game is awful. Traded them in to BB for a $60 gift card. Hoping Brink will be a keeper, but if not it'll go to BB too assuming the TIV holds for a few more days.[/QUOTE]

Im glad to hear that. Just posted in the GS thread about that. I think im gonna do that tomorrow.

Do you have to have the copy printed off or can I bring it up on my phone and have them punch it in? I didnt print it off when I was at my parents house.

[quote name='Abeja']Im glad to hear that. Just posted in the GS thread about that. I think im gonna do that tomorrow.

Do you have to have the copy printed off or can I bring it up on my phone and have them punch it in? I didnt print it off when I was at my parents house.[/QUOTE]

Not sure to be honest. I printed mine beforehand.

Wow...I hope this holds out til tomorrow. I had to work literally ALL day today, and couldn't make it out to any GS', but I just LOVE flipping bad games! I'm going to head out of town tomorrow, and see what kind of crap they have to trade over at WB.

[quote name='polly']My $10 off used PUR coupon worked with the B2G1 for me today. Grabbed TW2 for both systems and Brink for 360 and it took $10 off Brink, which knocked it down to $25, which then made it the free game. Came to just over $50 for the three games. Already gave TW2 a spin, and HOLY SHIT that game is awful. Traded them in to BB for a $60 gift card. Hoping Brink will be a keeper, but if not it'll go to BB too assuming the TIV holds for a few more days.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I saw reports of the coupon working and went in and tried it and it did not work. The problem was that I was buying 3 copies of TW II. So it just made one of them cheaper, and then that became the free game of the B2G1. So he voided that and I just kept the coupon. But I noticed Brink at $35 there and it didn't occur to me to use the coupon in that way so I may just do that tomorrow. I have no other use for the coupon (which expires June 30th) so I might as well use it that way.

I traded 2 TW II (one for each system) in at Best Buy shortly afterwards and it was a very easy process. I had never traded at Best Buy before but I've heard horror stories here. It was very smooth and took only a couple of minutes. My PS3 copy was missing a manual, too - apparently that didn't matter which is nice. I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on these deals from now on.

I have another TW II for 360 that I thought I would play - I have to see for myself just how bad this game is. I guess I can lock the trade in online and then play it for a while, right? Though with the ease of bringing it into the store it seems like a step back to have to mail it (and I did plenty of game trading with Dealtree last year).

Just lock it in for safety...if you enjoy it, play it for a week or so and send it in (just have to wait 3-4 weeks for your GC). If you think it's a turd like many people have reported, just take it up to the store tomorrow.

[quote name='confoosious']I think you can try. They are suppose to reject it but I think it's at the discretion of the person doing the trade in and not something the system rejects automatically.

But know that they all share the same account. And also, the online team has access to your instore trade in history. So you risk getting banned if they ever got around to enforcing their rules. Although nobody has reported being banned by BB/Dealtree.[/QUOTE]

I need to pay more attention to how many copies of a title i've traded in before. crap. i don't know if i went over the KZ3 limit yet ...

I wonder if DealTree is like Amazon in that if you don't cancel a submitted trade-in, that the non-received item won't count as a trade in? If they do, I'm screwed.

Fable 3 is down to 16. I managed to get 3 TW2 today. The guy at GS wouldn't let me get 3 at once, but he would let me do 2 different transaction. So I had to buy 3 other different games. Since I didn't plan on buying anything else I just grabbed some games I may want to play. 1 or 2 I may actually keep.

I had to go 2 different GS afterwards to try and find a complete game. I heard CD only is good enough, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle once at BB. I did asked customer service at BB if she knows about it, and she said no it has to be a complete game. Not the right answer, but thankfully I didn't have to argue with that. Also, they moved the trading equipment to the gaming section for some reason.

One GS I was at just had the bare case for two copies of twoworldsII, but I didn't want to try the trade with that. So, I did ask the clerks at the three BBYs I went to and all of them said that it works. I've no idea what will happen if I actually try it, but I think I'll pick those up if they are still there this weekend and give it a go.

[quote name='onyzukae']PLEASE ..DONT CHANGE TIV... I bought 6 of each TW2,BRINK..[/QUOTE]

Holding overnight is a lot like holding precious metals overnight, except it almost never goes up. I generally try to make sure that I'll be able to get to a BB and dump everything before the end of the night. Although I am sitting on a ps3 and xbox two worlds 2 right now, so, uh, hopefully everything holds overnight.

I think we're a little lucky in that trying to trade on a Thursday is a PITA so not as many would have moved as if today was a Saturday.

Can anyone explain why there's 2 different listings for the PS3 or 360 version of these games? For example, searching TIV for Brink has 2 360 and 2 PS3 listings with the exact same information except the UPC are different? Is it safe to pick either to trade in online?

Does anyone know what my trade-ins from 05/12 haven't been verified yet (Super Mario Galaxy) or why my trade ins from 05/22 (Medal of Honor) have been verified and I received an e-mail stating the gift card was sent but I haven't received them? I know Best Buy is slow but everytime I call I get some generic answer about the "middle man" company changing and that has created delays....

I was just wondering if anyone else is waiting on gift cards, nonetheless verification from the SMG trade in deal from about 5 weeks ago

[quote name='boneless']Can anyone explain why there's 2 different listings for the PS3 or 360 version of these games? For example, searching TIV for Brink has 2 360 and 2 PS3 listings with the exact same information except the UPC are different? Is it safe to pick either to trade in online?[/QUOTE]

Some people have mentioned it, but I don't know if anyone has had anything rejected because of it. In theory, the fact that they don't require a complete game would mean that the UPC doesn't matter, but my guess is that eventually they will start rejecting based on the wrong UPC -- like Amazon at least claims they will do.

It's probably a risk.

Also, since when did they start tracking the In store and over the mail trade ins? I know I traded a lot more FNVs. If this is just something they are tracking for now, then I guess that's not a big deal, but I didn't even know how they would be tracking it at this point.

[quote name='GBAstar']Does anyone know what my trade-ins from 05/12 haven't been verified yet (Super Mario Galaxy) or why my trade ins from 05/22 (Medal of Honor) have been verified and I received an e-mail stating the gift card was sent but I haven't received them? I know Best Buy is slow but everytime I call I get some generic answer about the "middle man" company changing and that has created delays....

I was just wondering if anyone else is waiting on gift cards, nonetheless verification from the SMG trade in deal from about 5 weeks ago[/QUOTE]

I think they are really behind on processing trades and the errors in GC values slowed them down more. I also am waiting, they received my order on June 1st and it is still listed as waiting to receive.

I went through the live chat and asked the lady what the hold up was. She apologized and told me a manager would email me by the end of the night. I didnt get an email, but the next day my trade-in was verified, so my gift card should be on its way.

I did the tradein 5/16 and sent them like a few days before the 14 day deadline got them by the 25th-26th with fast shipping.

The BB I went to with my Brink/TW II had literally moved the trade in kiosk the night before; the girl at the CS counter started processing it before someone told her the machine there anymore (good communication). The guys that helped me out were nice enough, though not totally trained and I have a suspicion that part of the new Best Buy Gaming Mandate Order (TM) is to push pre-orders. If only their fancy touch screen pre-order machine was updated with current release dates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back