Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='boneless']The Black Ops would've given an extra $5 GS credit if you waited until July 1st, but wherever you want the credit.

$25 + 40% + 10%PUR = $37.50

Other than having to wait until then or you don't like GS credit.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about the BlackOps thing. Think the $25 price point will hold for another 2 weeks at Gamestop? (sorry for a slight off-topic comment!)

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']I was wondering about the BlackOps thing. Think the $25 price point will hold for another 2 weeks at Gamestop? (sorry for a slight off-topic comment!)[/QUOTE]

If it drops, I can't imagine by much. Unless...they screw us over by dropping everything to makeup the 40% difference :bomb:. You have to decide on taking that chance. But there's a $5 gap to cover in two weeks otherwise and not likely.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']I was wondering about the BlackOps thing. Think the $25 price point will hold for another 2 weeks at Gamestop? (sorry for a slight off-topic comment!)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be so sure due to the 2 for $50 promo this week from Toysrus and most people intend to sell the game they dont want.

I would trade to BB for $32.50 right now. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Yeah I just got back. Stopped by ToyRUs and got 2 copies of BLOPs for $42.55 and proceeded across the street and traded them in at BB for $65. I also traded my Bulletstorm, LA Noire, Dead Rising 2 and Fallout 3 for another $97.50. Between today and the GS flips I was able to accrue $305 in credit while only spending $50 in actual cash. The rest was GC/Game trade credit. I was able to make a little over $110 in flips.

Amazing how 3 weeks ago I had not bought 1 game at BB in 2 years and then they allow gamer mag coupons to stack and suddenly it is my go to place. I hope they keep this up.

All Best Buy needs to do is have your Rewards Zone cards get points on trades. It kind of sucks because I've probably been hovering short of a $5 certificate because of all of this trading and paying for things with gift cards (which gets you no points unfortunately).

Tried out the kiosk at the nearby Best Buy that used to only do trades with receipts. Well, despite having the kiosk setup, they still only do trades with receipts. But now they say they can look up any games you bought from them. Kind of lame they haven't switched to the no-question-asked trading even still.

Gotta love how they dropped the Infamous 2 value to 27$ (Which makes it 35 again after the 30% XD).

But whatever, gonna trade Infamous 2, Fallout:NV, and a few other games tommorow. If all goes well, hoping to get a PM on that 2 for 50$ TRU has, if not, guess ill get Dungeon Siege and Resident Evil:Mercs 3D

Oh wow! I didn't know they are doing +30% more. Anyone know if this is good 'till the end of the week? It only says offer available for a limited time. Would love to trade in some old games I have for extra cash to kindle cards.

It looks like they finally hired someone from GS to explain to them how to do the used game trade thing. I just hope someone from GS wasn't hired to reprice their used games or we'll see all the recent stuff jump to $54.99 each.

[quote name='ceve2001']Oh wow! I didn't know they are doing +30% more. Anyone know if this is good 'till the end of the week? It only says offer available for a limited time. Would love to trade in some old games I have for extra cash to kindle cards.[/QUOTE]

They lowered all the TIVs so you're not getting anything extra. Forced me to trade in BioShock 2 just to get the $35 for inFamous 2 that I would've got for trading it in alone a day ago.

GS's TIV for Blops needs to hold until 7/1 when I can use the 40% extra coupon, UGH. I don't think I'm eligible to trade any more copies of it in to BB >.>

[quote name='Xellos2099']Am I better off trading Mortal Kombat to amazon or best buy if i add in a filler game?[/QUOTE]

Short answer: Mortal Kombat

Dickish answer: which is more? $24 * 1.3 or $30?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']They lowered all the TIVs so you're not getting anything extra.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, you got more for DR2 today than you did yesterday. How do I know? Cause I traded it in yesterday.

[quote name='confoosious']Actually, you got more for DR2 today than you did yesterday. How do I know? Cause I traded it in yesterday.[/QUOTE]

That sucks! I was this close yesterday but decided against it. I actually traded quite a few games today that never made it to my Xbox yet but the TIVs just made this too good. Most of the game I traded in I barely paid anything for after using coupons during the Kmart deals so it was like moving credit from Kmart over to BB...which I will be using for their preorder 5 get $100 RZ cert for...unless this craziness continues.

[quote name='confoosious']
Actually, you got more for DR2 today than you did yesterday. How do I know? Cause I traded it in yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... and inFamous 2's TIV is gonna go back up to $35 base tomorrow... sweet :p Whatever, I'm used to being messed with by these things.

There's not a single game that I own (that's worth trading in) whose TIV didn't get lowered, and honestly sometimes I don't want to trade in 2 games at that time so this offer is meh for me.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Yeah... and inFamous 2's TIV is gonna go back up to $35 base tomorrow... sweet :p Whatever, I'm used to being messed with by these things.

There's not a single game that I own (that's worth trading in) whose TIV didn't get lowered, and honestly sometimes I don't want to trade in 2 games at that time so this offer is meh for me.[/QUOTE]
That's when ya hit up GS for a $.99-$1.99 game that still qualifies for trade-in to BB and just dump that on the counter with the game you actually wanna trade.

As long as your BB is ok with doing the disc only stuff, you could grab something from the local Gamestop's $4.99 and under disc only trays and trade that in.;)

That's what I used to do when GS had the tiered trade promos with no minimum value required for the games and I was 1-2 games short. Those Madden 05's for PS2 weren't worth anything, but it definitely helped to get to the next level.;)

Went to trade in some games at Gamestop and Best buy today but Gamestop took the prize for smoothest trade in, took probably not even 4 minutes to trade like 9 games in and got the extra percent and such. I then go to Best Buy to sell like 7 games and it took me about 20 minutes because I asked for the 30% extra trade in bonus that they didn't include when counting my trade in. The first women to help me decided to ditch helping me after she just started to help me only to give it to a guy who verbally stated that he doesn't know how to do trade ins. Then another women comes by and "helps" by not knowing what 30% extra I am talking about and I tell her the one in the flyer and she asks "What Flyer"? She then gets the idea to check the flyer that came out today with the paper and reads the deal and then after reading the fine print says it's only for "eligible" titles and that there's a list of titles that work with it. It was then my mom who asked if we could see the list and so the lady goes of for about 10 minutes looking for the list only to not find one. Then ANOTHER woman comes to "help" me and still gets into an agrument about me getting the 30% extra. Eventually after much needless debating I got the extra 30% bonus after about 20 minutes of stupidity that could have just lasted 5.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's when ya hit up GS for a $.99-$1.99 game that still qualifies for trade-in to BB and just dump that on the counter with the game you actually wanna trade.

As long as your BB is ok with doing the disc only stuff, you could grab something from the local Gamestop's $4.99 and under disc only trays and trade that in.;)

That's what I used to do when GS had the tiered trade promos with no minimum value required for the games and I was 1-2 games short. Those Madden 05's for PS2 weren't worth anything, but it definitely helped to get to the next level.;)[/QUOTE]

A ton of games I have (older ones) don't even show up on the estimator online. Do they take EVERYTHING in, or just what shows up? For instance, I was okay with tossing my copy of Elite Beat Agents but couldn't find it online.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think it's ONLY stuff that shows up unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I think so as well, although I haven't actually tried anything else. I do remember though back when they originally started taking trade-ins, there were some games that were listed that the computer wouldn't take. It's gotten a lot better now.

I wish it did work though, because I have a copy of Elite Beat Agents as well I would dump. Also, I asked earlier but didn't see an answer, but do they take DS trade-ins in-store now too?

It must be in the system. If it's not in the system than you can't get it to approve the 30% bonus unless they lie and say that it's a different game.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']A ton of games I have (older ones) don't even show up on the estimator online. Do they take EVERYTHING in, or just what shows up? For instance, I was okay with tossing my copy of Elite Beat Agents but couldn't find it online.[/QUOTE]

Actually, a lot of games that do not show up on the online estimator can still be traded in in store. After I got access to the trade in application at work I punched in a whole bunch of PS2 games that do not show up anywhere online and every single one of them were in the trade in system. Only game I have tried that I cannot find is Black Sigil for the DS (that was a stupid purchase). Bring them into the store and have the employees check.

When I locked in a quote for 4 games last night each one received a separate trade # instead of just one. Do I have to send each one out in separate boxes or can I combine them?

[quote name='SierraNight']Actually, a lot of games that do not show up on the online estimator can still be traded in in store. After I got access to the trade in application at work I punched in a whole bunch of PS2 games that do not show up anywhere online and every single one of them were in the trade in system. Only game I have tried that I cannot find is Black Sigil for the DS (that was a stupid purchase). Bring them into the store and have the employees check.[/QUOTE]

Were they mostly really crappy TIVs?

More math is never fun, but it looks like most of the actually flippable games stayed at either the same price or at a price where they are actually up a little.

As long as they keep their TIVs online, I don't care what they do with the prices in the end.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']When I locked in a quote for 4 games last night each one received a separate trade # instead of just one. Do I have to send each one out in separate boxes or can I combine them?[/QUOTE]

First time doing an online Best Buy trade, so I'd appreciate some clarification on this matter from some more knowledgable CAGs as well. Thanks!

[quote name='arsenal_fan']When I locked in a quote for 4 games last night each one received a separate trade # instead of just one. Do I have to send each one out in separate boxes or can I combine them?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']First time doing an online Best Buy trade, so I'd appreciate some clarification on this matter from some more knowledgable CAGs as well. Thanks![/QUOTE]

It's best to ship them all together. Even though all the games appear separately on the page, they all use the same shipping label.

does the 30% apply to any 2 games they take? i can't seem to find a definitive list (like the 2 for $60 deal) and when i click on the link on best buy's site, it just brings me to the estimator

[quote name='vanton619']does the 30% apply to any 2 games they take? i can't seem to find a definitive list (like the 2 for $60 deal) and when i click on the link on best buy's site, it just brings me to the estimator[/QUOTE]

Yes, any 2.
My BB trade in experience was pretty funny.. like I said I brought in about 21 ps3 games, at one point there was 4 employees standing around watching. "Booo ps3 games suck." "you should get an xbox, i have an xbox, i love my xbox, buy an xbox!" etc etc

Promotions available in stores only

Trade 2, get 30% Extra
Trade in any two games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 07/02/2011

i wasn't sure if this was online as well so just throwing it up there.

[quote name='vanton619']does the 30% apply to any 2 games they take? i can't seem to find a definitive list (like the 2 for $60 deal) and when i click on the link on best buy's site, it just brings me to the estimator[/QUOTE]

It is any game, if they tell you otherwise they are lying and don't know what they are talking about.

Apparently I just found out my license was expired when I tried to do a trade in.... Funny thing though 24hrs before that I did an in-store trade with no problems.

Granted the chick didn't know what she was doin' and had to restart the PC two times.... at least I know I can go for very needed fun filled trip to the MVA.

Also, I missed last weeks TIV's because of this but if I score some of TRU's BLOP's the extra 30% will be worth it.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Is there a reason the 30% isnt being added online?[/QUOTE]

Two posts up.

[quote name='youenvy']
Promotions available in stores only

Trade 2, get 30% Extra
Trade in any two games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 07/02/2011

i wasn't sure if this was online as well so just throwing it up there. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='dino88']I like how it ends right after GS's 40% bonus begins. This has been a good couple of months for trade-ins.[/QUOTE]

Waiting for the BB B2G1 free used event... :)

I just traded in Homefront, Dead Rising 2 (x2), and a copy of RDR and the 30% worked fine. What happened is the employee quoted me the gift card value and the check value, which both were without the 30% extra. I said that was fine and then she must have pressed continue or something because the screen ended up showing an extra 30% on the next screen. I'm assuming that it will show the quoted gift card value without the 30% and then it will input itself in.

[quote name='confoosious']Waiting for the BB B2G1 free used event... :)[/QUOTE]
Lol, at that point we'll just be flipping games from BB to GS and back again.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']Too bad my best buy's used selection is god awful.[/QUOTE]

What I heard is they barely start to do trade-ins and sell used games. Wait for another 6 months and the selection would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back