Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']What? It'll be flooded with copies of Two Worlds II soon![/QUOTE]

Only if developers gotta piece of used game sales. They would probably make a third one because of how it was selling.

just traded in 2 blops for 65, woot. then got dr2 used for 13, flippn tomorrow for 26. woot.
-was hoping to do some more blops 44->65, but heard tru deal was killed. oh wellz

The fuck, I just got back from my bestbuy with a trade in kiosk in the videogame section and the guy said they don't take videogame trade ins for games not bought from that store. What the hell is the point of putting up a kiosk if it isn't even functioning. Lazy ass bestbuy, get your FL businesses fixed, you're losing customers.

[quote name='Brenex']The fuck, I just got back from my bestbuy with a trade in kiosk in the videogame section and the guy said they don't take videogame trade ins for games not bought from that store. What the hell is the point of putting up a kiosk if it isn't even functioning. Lazy ass bestbuy, get your FL businesses fixed, you're losing customers.[/QUOTE]

How the heck would they know if that copy was bought at that store or even a BB or not? Geez.

yeah, ha, a few days ago when flippn tw2 and tdu and fable3 from gamestop b2g1f, i forgot to take off just one preowned sticker on the back and the bia gave me all this hassle about the game being used and not new. i looked straight in her eyes and said, all the games are new, and if you can't find the upc, i can walk outside and can throw away the case and artwork and come in disk only and do this. she then threw away the artwork and finished my transaction. 240 gift card, then got 250 amazon kindle. woot

Planning to take in Infamous 2 and Fallout:NV tommorow, 52$ for a game that i platinum'd and a game i havent played in months aint half bad. Hoping to also get a PM on that 2 for 50$ (That or buy Dungeon Siege 3)

[quote name='Velo214']yeah, ha, a few days ago when flippn tw2 and tdu and fable3 from gamestop b2g1f, i forgot to take off just one preowned sticker on the back and the bia gave me all this hassle about the game being used and not new. i looked straight in her eyes and said, all the games are new, and if you can't find the upc, i can walk outside and can throw away the case and artwork and come in disk only and do this. she then threw away the artwork and finished my transaction. 240 gift card, then got 250 amazon kindle. woot[/QUOTE]
Wait...so instead of just opening the game case wide n sliding the artwork out from under the protective sleeve, she just threw the artwork out?

Unless the shmucks at your local GS stores put the stickers right on the damned coverart, that's all she woulda had to do(slide the artwork outta the sleeve).:roll:

So I ended up having a very positive experience at BB trade in. I brought in 70 disc only games to do a trade in. About halfway their system crashed and they could not get it to work. So the game advisor use her iphone and write down all the TIV on a piece of paper. She even asked 2 other stuff to help her with their phones. After that she add up the value and ask the manager to put the amount on a gift card. Took longer than I expected but I walk out with $123 gift card.

[quote name='62t']So I ended up having a very positive experience at BB trade in. I brought in 70 disc only games to do a trade in. About halfway their system crashed and they could not get it to work. So the game advisor use her iphone and write down all the TIV on a piece of paper. She even asked 2 other stuff to help her with their phones. After that she add up the value and ask the manager to put the amount on a gift card. Took longer than I expected but I walk out with $123 gift card.[/QUOTE]

70 games for a $123 gift card??? I understand they were disc only but you got less than $2 per game...that seems pretty horrible man..

[quote name='Camre']70 games for a $123 gift card??? I understand they were disc only but you got less than $2 per game...that seems pretty horrible man..[/QUOTE]

If they were all Current Gen Games he probably couldve saved the 2 hours he spent in store trading stuff in and threw it up on ebay and easily walked away with $250

I would venture to guess that they werent current gen games. Unless he had a couple big hitters and everything else like $.25.

One time I was in there and a guy was trading in a bunch of PS2 games like 15-20. Stuff like Enter the Matrix I saw and cant remember anymore. He got $20 I think too.

hey so i am trying to trade in some games online and get that extra 30%, when does it add up? i added 2 games to my cart and it's not +30%, does that happen at checkout or does it not work online/locking it in?

[quote name='Camre']70 games for a $123 gift card??? I understand they were disc only but you got less than $2 per game...that seems pretty horrible man..[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DudeImGodly']If they were all Current Gen Games he probably couldve saved the 2 hours he spent in store trading stuff in and threw it up on ebay and easily walked away with $250[/QUOTE]

They were all PS2 games with a few PSP and 1 DS game. More than half were sport games.

[quote name='Velo214']hey so i am trying to trade in some games online and get that extra 30%, when does it add up? i added 2 games to my cart and it's not +30%, does that happen at checkout or does it not work online/locking it in?[/QUOTE]

Check out the OP again. Very first line, in bold, underlined, big red letters, surrounded by exclamation points.

[quote name='Velo214']just traded in 2 blops for 65, woot. then got dr2 used for 13, flippn tomorrow for 26. woot.
-was hoping to do some more blops 44->65, but heard tru deal was killed. oh wellz[/QUOTE]

You know what, I think you were the guy that skunked me on the dr2! That's pretty crazy. Were you at the watson bb at about 11 or 1130? I went in there and did a test run of a couple of these TRU games, then walked over to the used games, and saw the dr2 such that the coupon would make it 12.50. I realized my coupon was in the car, so I went to get it and when I got back (like 60 seconds later) the dr2 was gone, and I saw some group of people with some kids trading in some TRU games.

Crazy. Good show man, you managed to get that game in the minute it was still going to be on the shelf.

EDIT: yep, after looking at your later post, about the "used game" trade in, you are definitely the guy that was at that bb. That chick did the same thing to me months ago and the manager guy straight up looked at her like she was brain damaged when she asked if they could take used games. She's the one that would not let me trade in epic mickey, because BB was selling kirby's epic yarn for less than it's TIV and "they both have epic in the name."

EDIT2: also clear out yer dang PMs

[quote name='dino88']Check out the OP again. Very first line, in bold, underlined, big letters, surrounded by exclamation points.[/QUOTE]

That's not enough emphasis. I want a personal phone call explaining the deal.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Is there a reason the 30% isnt being added online?[/QUOTE]

This gets around our ability to lock in the high trade values for the games that drop quickly.

[quote name='bob330i']How the heck would they know if that copy was bought at that store or even a BB or not? Geez.[/QUOTE]

I asked about trades at my local store that recently opened a kiosk in hopes that they changed their policy about accepting trades with only receipts. No good. Apparently they can look it up if you don't have the receipt assuming you paid with credit or used a Rewards Zone card. I have to drive 10 minutes out to trade since they don't have that silly restriction. So don't get your hopes up about the kiosks, I guess if your store is one of those trades with receipts stores.

Stupid BB say they will only accept 1 copy of any game now. I think it's the BS that the Costa Mesa store seems to always inject into my fun, but be forwarned.

[quote name='stoned99']I think it's the BS that the Costa Mesa store seems to always inject into my fun, but be forwarned.[/QUOTE]

You're right. I love when employees and/or manager's try to pawn this off thinking we are some sort of criminals for coming in with multiple copies of a game. It's cool, I just send in a complaint to corporate.

[quote name='stoned99']Stupid BB say they will only accept 1 copy of any game now. I think it's the BS that the Costa Mesa store seems to always inject into my fun, but be forwarned.[/QUOTE]

The Orange store is AWESOME just saying.

Haven't seen this question asked before, but I put in an trade-in online for 6 games on one order. If I decided to send in only 2 of the games and kept the other 4, that shouldn't cause any problems, right?

[quote name='azngtlman']Haven't seen this question asked before, but I put in an trade-in online for 6 games on one order. If I decided to send in only 2 of the games and kept the other 4, that shouldn't cause any problems, right?[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just trade in the 4 in-store to take advantage of the 30% bonus? Unless of course you live no where near a Best Buy or you locked in your trade online at a higher TIV, even with the 30% bonus factored into in-store trades.

Honestly I don't get why any Best Buy would turn down anything within their rules for trade ins.

And their rules are up to 3 of the same UPC, and you don't need the case or manual, and it does NOT have to be originally purchased at Best Buy. The store close to my house always takes great care of me.

For those lucky enough to get a FEAR 3 at TRU the TIV is $27 ($35.10). If you are not interested in the Multi I am sure you can get a play-through done in 2 days and get a good turnaround.

[quote name='cancerman1120']For those lucky enough to get a FEAR 3 at TRU the TIV is $27 ($35.10). If you are not interested in the Multi I am sure you can get a play-through done in 2 days and get a good turnaround.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about doing this, but I'm not that familiar with Best Buy's trade in program since the one near me just started doing it this weekend. Do they do value adjustments weekly or daily, or is there any way to know when the value of a game is going to drop? I don't want to keep mine for a couple days only to have BB become flooded with copies flipped from TRU and have the value drop to $20 by the weekend. I suppose I could lock in a trade online, but then I couldn't get the extra 30%

As much as I like the game I think I am trading my BBC2 into Amazon. They are offering $20.25 right now. BB is only giving $9.10 with the 30% bonus. It is crazy how apart they can be on TIV sometimes.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']I was thinking about doing this, but I'm not that familiar with Best Buy's trade in program since the one near me just started doing it this weekend. Do they do value adjustments weekly or daily, or is there any way to know when the value of a game is going to drop? I don't want to keep mine for a couple days only to have BB become flooded with copies flipped from TRU and have the value drop to $20 by the weekend. I suppose I could lock in a trade online, but then I couldn't get the extra 30%[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is usually on a daily basis. Amazon does not have their TIV up yet. There is a definite possibility of a price drop by the weekend. It will depend on how many copies make it into people's hands. A lot of people are getting backordered notices for their online orders but I am not sure how the instore sales will be.

Shipped out 2 games yesterday via UPS. Gave package to UPS guy and tracking hasn't even showed up yet. Either my package was stolen by the guy, highly doubt it since he's a regular, or ups tracking has taken a step back and now sucks. Usually tracking shows up for me by the evening of same day I give it to them.

Sorry if this has been asked before but does the extra 30% apply to only games listed on the promo page website? (ie when games are removed from that list the promo no longer applies?) TIA!

[quote name='chuckywang']Why don't you just trade in the 4 in-store to take advantage of the 30% bonus? Unless of course you live no where near a Best Buy or you locked in your trade online at a higher TIV, even with the 30% bonus factored into in-store trades.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='azngtlman']Haven't seen this question asked before, but I put in an trade-in online for 6 games on one order. If I decided to send in only 2 of the games and kept the other 4, that shouldn't cause any problems, right?[/QUOTE]

Did you get just one trade-in # for all games? I got 4 different trade-in #'s inspite of adding games as part of the same order.

30% TIV is not higher in all cases. I have 3 Halo reach games locked in for $30 each. They have dropped to $21 and comes out to $82 instead of the $90. I am in no hurry to get the credit so will probably send them in but yeah if I wanted to buy something right away I would have traded instore too.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Did you get just one trade-in # for all games? I got 4 different trade-in #'s inspite of adding games as part of the same order.

30% TIV is not higher in all cases. I have 3 Halo reach games locked in for $30 each. They have dropped to $21 and comes out to $82 instead of the $90. I am in no hurry to get the credit so will probably send them in but yeah if I wanted to buy something right away I would have traded instore too.[/QUOTE]

The whole system is composed of separate trade in #'s. Its impossible to keep track of stuff, unless you make a spread sheet or sumthing. When you print out the shipping label your whole set of trade-ins should still be on the same manifest though.

I'm packing my tradeins. There's two printouts of the shipping manifest with the UPS label on one of them. Is one shipping manifest my copy or do I include both in the box?

Hmm I just got 2 copies of FEAR 3 for 55 with tax - trading one of them back to BB isnt half bad with this promo I'd get 35.

Still, I'd rather just trade F3AR to another CAG for a swap with something like Infamous 2.

I can't believe people are spending 53 bucks at Toys R Us and flipping the 2 games for 65. A 12 dollar profit on 53 bucks is just sad. Especially when it fucks over all the people that were actually going to play the games.

[quote name='Irukandji']I can't believe people are spending 53 bucks at Toys R Us and flipping the 2 games for 65. A 12 dollar profit on 53 bucks is just sad. Especially when it fucks over all the people that were actually going to play the games.[/QUOTE]
For real!

Smart people would just go to GS for the PUR 50% extra. :lol:

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Did you get just one trade-in # for all games? I got 4 different trade-in #'s inspite of adding games as part of the same order.

30% TIV is not higher in all cases. I have 3 Halo reach games locked in for $30 each. They have dropped to $21 and comes out to $82 instead of the $90. I am in no hurry to get the credit so will probably send them in but yeah if I wanted to buy something right away I would have traded instore too.[/QUOTE]

Does the UPC matter when you mail the games in to BB? Halo reach has like 4 different UPC's. Without knowing before-hand which one it was, is locking in the value worth it, or does Best buy even care?

[quote name='Irukandji']I can't believe people are spending 53 bucks at Toys R Us and flipping the 2 games for 65. A 12 dollar profit on 53 bucks is just sad. Especially when it fucks over all the people that were actually going to play the games.[/QUOTE]

If they want to play the games then they have the option to go out and buy them just like anyone else. If you buy the games then it's your property to do as you wish with them. The "holier-than-thou" attitude portrayed here hardly seems necessary.

I got a couple games coming in the mail this week. I don't know if they'll come complete with box art and manual. So assuming the disc is perfect, what's the worst condition BB will accept the games? Disc only? Disc + box & cover art? Or does it have to be complete.
Note, I do want to get full credit.

[quote name='Dranakin']Just mailed in a game for trade-in. Now, the waiting begins...[/QUOTE]

Did you keep the shipping packing list on the page with the UPS label or the other one? I'm not sure if there's a difference and which one to send.

[quote name='boneless']Did you keep the shipping packing list on the page with the UPS label or the other one? I'm not sure if there's a difference and which one to send.[/QUOTE]

Just shipped mine out at the UPS store. So there was like 4 different pages that printed out. The first page with the label obviously goes on the outside of the package, then I put the 2nd page inside the box with the bar codes for all the games that I was trading in. The UPS guy didn't have to scan any pages besides for the shipping label. Make sure to get a receipt as well so you can track the package.

Now the month long wait to get my credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back