Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='semifast']Stupid question..

Is the value shown for games with the online estimator what I'll get at the store ? Plus 30% ?

The store is a long drive and I don't want to waste time and gas only to find out I won't get what I expect to.[/QUOTE]

That's the base value (Without the 30% extra) so if you see a game worth $24 on the site then you will get $31.20 after the bonus is applied.

[quote name='scarhawk']Isn't company policy to accept disc only games?[/QUOTE]

Each store is a little different in that they may try to force you to do so. Mine does.

My gohastings order came late. I finally got Dead Rising 2 and the TIV sank like a rock to $13. Damn I forgot to lock in my online value too. Oh well, mitigated loss.

Man I am tempted to trade my GTA IV Complete today: It would get $22 with the bonus. I have not even come close to finishing it though and I would have to pay $20 to buy it back anyway. Hmm decisions decisions.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Traded in 5 games yesterday - went pretty smoothly. Girl just opened the case to see if game was in there and that was that for each disc.[/QUOTE]

No wonder the COD blops I bought yesterday was cracked and had 2 radial scratches burned into them.:roll:

The trade in went fairly smoothly, almost as easy as GS. It only slowed down cause the printer ran out of paper and the manager/supervisor examined my Wii tony hawk shred submissions...

1 complete with UPC code
1 complete with "not for resale" cut out
1 disc, case, and manual

He examined all 3 discs for a few minutes trying to find the "not for resale" label on the disc itself, all the while asking where I got them and warning me that they could not take them if they were "NFR" because they wouldn't have a UPC to scan (I think he was calling it a "UPN number") lol. He was a funny mid level know it all.

[quote name='Donut2922']Each store is a little different in that they may try to force you to do so. Mine does.

My gohastings order came late. I finally got Dead Rising 2 and the TIV sank like a rock to $13. Damn I forgot to lock in my online value too. Oh well, mitigated loss.[/QUOTE]

No I mean like for online trade ins.

yeah, i felt kinda bad cuz i just got a few blops from the gohastings b2g1$1 and $20 blops, and i 360 disk had a lil crack in the middle. i didnt want to deal with sending it back/etc so i just brought it by bestbuy and they looked and even checked out the disk and it was good. woot. so traded some blops and monopoly streets in. easy plat, woot.

[quote name='Velo214']yeah, i felt kinda bad cuz i just got a few blops from the gohastings b2g1$1 and $20 blops, and i 360 disk had a lil crack in the middle. i didnt want to deal with sending it back/etc so i just brought it by bestbuy and they looked and even checked out the disk and it was good. woot. so traded some blops and monopoly streets in. easy plat, woot.[/QUOTE]

See here's my issue with this (and don't take it personally velo) but as someone who purchased a broken used ps3 game two weeks ago, I think you should feel bad, not kinda feel bad. I had to go through the additional hassle of calling the first store, learning the return policy, taking it to a closer store, and explaining to three different people what happened (including recounting my telephone conversation with the store I purchased it from). I lost time and gas money while becoming extremely frustrated all because of someone who did exactly what you did. So as a P.S.A. for the members of this site, please don't do this.

i have like hundreds of unsent trade ins, i only cancel if it gets too cluttered.
i wish it would just self cancel after a month.
when they gave me half credit and i had to call and complain it was funny tho cuz the girl on the phone was like, there is no way you are sending in all these games.
haha, i mean, they only accept 3 of which per system anyway, but if im not done or if it hasnt arrived yet then i just relock it in unless the tiv dropped alot...
n yeah, people should trade in complete perfect condition games, but sometimes that's not what we are given(i.e. gohastings broken disk or gamestop disk only) so we make due with what we got. and i would be pissed too if i bought a broken game, that's why they are supposed to check them out before they send or receive them. If the system was perfect then gohastings wouldnt have sent me a disk with a lil crack in it. gamestop would guarantee complete used games. believe me, i would rather trade in a new perfect game then just a disk only game of course.

oh yeah and as a sidenote, i feel completely fine screwing companies but i wouldnt want to screw over a fellow cag or even fellow gamer. i didnt sell a broken game to another cag, i traded in a game i was sold to by gohastings to bestbuy and it still worked fine (i dont know, i dont have a 360). i know 'eventually' im screwing someone, but throw me a freakn bone, i need my flip $ to feed my kids! (lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike Gamestop, Best Buy is supposed to test every game that comes in through trades. The primary look-over at the trade in booth is basically just to make sure the game is what they're saying it is. Supposedly the games then go "somewhere" where they're inspected and tested for playability. That's why the turnaround from being traded in to being sellable at Best Buy is like a whole week.

[quote name='bgame2']See here's my issue with this (and don't take it personally velo) but as someone who purchased a broken used ps3 game two weeks ago, I think you should feel bad, not kinda feel bad. I had to go through the additional hassle of calling the first store, learning the return policy, taking it to a closer store, and explaining to three different people what happened (including recounting my telephone conversation with the store I purchased it from). I lost time and gas money while becoming extremely frustrated all because of someone who did exactly what you did. So as a P.S.A. for the members of this site, please don't do this.[/QUOTE]

Umm.. Yeah... If you bought a used disc, you took the risk. Expecting everyone to trade in pristine games or keep them if they aren't is a little like asking your sperm not to get your girl pregnant and being mad at it when one does...

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Umm.. Yeah... If you bought a used disc, you took the risk. Expecting everyone to trade in pristine games or keep them if they aren't is a little like asking your sperm not to get your girl pregnant and being mad at it when one does...[/QUOTE]

What a stupid analogy.

There's a difference between trading in a scratched up disc and trading in a disc you know doesn't work.

The whole attitude of "well, as long as I get mine... and whoever gets screwed in the end doesn't matter as long as it's not me" is for little people with little minds.

I have to trade in my games from Hastings as Disc and case only because BB doesn't even let you look up the fucking UPC you locked in.
I called BB today and they even told me to just trade it w/o UPCs.
Of course sending in a game with cut up manuals and cover art would definitely end up in a denied trade in.

Believe me, I don't care for these manuals and cover arts lol.
But I'm also not going to skip out on 30 bucks.

No sure if this was mentioned before in this thread but looks like they have a iphone/android BB game app that lets you scan your UPC and pulls up the trade in value.

While gimmicky might come in handy if you dont have a computer and wanted to check in trade in value.

[quote name='Velo214']i have like hundreds of unsent trade ins, i only cancel if it gets too cluttered.
i wish it would just self cancel after a month.
when they gave me half credit and i had to call and complain it was funny tho cuz the girl on the phone was like, there is no way you are sending in all these games.
haha, i mean, they only accept 3 of which per system anyway, but if im not done or if it hasnt arrived yet then i just relock it in unless the tiv dropped alot...
n yeah, people should trade in complete perfect condition games, but sometimes that's not what we are given(i.e. gohastings broken disk or gamestop disk only) so we make due with what we got. and i would be pissed too if i bought a broken game, that's why they are supposed to check them out before they send or receive them. If the system was perfect then gohastings wouldnt have sent me a disk with a lil crack in it. gamestop would guarantee complete used games. believe me, i would rather trade in a new perfect game then just a disk only game of course.

oh yeah and as a sidenote, i feel completely fine screwing companies but i wouldnt want to screw over a fellow cag or even fellow gamer. i didnt sell a broken game to another cag, i traded in a game i was sold to by gohastings to bestbuy and it still worked fine (i dont know, i dont have a 360). i know 'eventually' im screwing someone, but throw me a freakn bone, i need my flip $ to feed my kids! (lol)[/QUOTE]
I dont see how flipping games for BB Credit feeds your kids..
unless you feed them candy and soda..?
:D

[quote name='confoosious']What a stupid analogy.

[/QUOTE]

If you want to protect against having kids, use a condom. If you want no cracks, scratches, tears or swirl marks on used game, buy new. You know what the risk of buying a used game are.

Oh wait, I'm explaing this to the center of morality on CAG. The guy that went to TRU and made them sell 2 games for $50 last week even after he knew it was a mistake. But it benefited you, so I guess it was OK in your mind to make them honor the signage...

[quote name='DudeImGodly']I dont see how flipping games for BB Credit feeds your kids..
unless you feed them candy and soda..?
:D[/QUOTE]

Maybe he sells the GCs for cash?
:p

[quote name='crazedracerguy']If you want to protect against having kids, use a condom. If you want no cracks, scratches, tears or swirl marks on used game, buy new. You know what the risk of buying a used game are.

Oh wait, I'm explaing this to the center of morality on CAG. The guy that went to TRU and made them sell 2 games for $50 last week even after he knew it was a mistake. But it benefited you, so I guess it was OK in your mind to make them honor the signage...[/QUOTE]

How is asking TRU to sell me something at 2 for $50 making them? I didn't wave around some state or federal consumer laws like some people did. I'm the most low key of consumers. If they refuse, I never kick up a fuss. Did they say it was a mistake? I don't think so.

edit: found my two posts. I love how you make shit up in your little mind.

[quote name='confoosious']Went to BB to trade in something. Saw TRU, went in and they still had the 2 for $50 up so got Fear 3 w/ manager override.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']It wasn't out of the way and the manager was totally cool. I'd have been fine with being denied. I can't believe how aggro people get about not getting a deal.[/QUOTE]

By the way, I hope you always use a condom.

[quote name='Velo214']n yeah, people should trade in complete perfect condition games, but sometimes that's not what we are given(i.e. gohastings broken disk or gamestop disk only) so we make due with what we got. and i would be pissed too if i bought a broken game, that's why they are supposed to check them out before they send or receive them. If the system was perfect then gohastings wouldnt have sent me a disk with a lil crack in it. gamestop would guarantee complete used games. believe me, i would rather trade in a new perfect game then just a disk only game of course.[/QUOTE]
Well, of course you'd want to, but you didn't. You're just passing the buck. Sure, it sucks you got a bad used game. It happens. But if you're doing that to flip them, then you get to take responsibility for what you do with that used game. You don't get blame someone else for what you ultimately do with it.

[quote name='Velo214']oh yeah and as a sidenote, i feel completely fine screwing companies but i wouldnt want to screw over a fellow cag or even fellow gamer. i didnt sell a broken game to another cag, i traded in a game i was sold to by gohastings to bestbuy and it still worked fine (i dont know, i dont have a 360). i know 'eventually' im screwing someone, but throw me a freakn bone, i need my flip $ to feed my kids! (lol)[/QUOTE]
And yet, you are. Why even bother saying you don't want to when you say "fuck it" and do just that? You must not hold that principle very strongly if you violated it the first chance you got. You may not have directly sold the game to another gamer, but indirectly, you did. And that doesn't really make you any less responsible. See my point above.

Also, I find it a bit ironic that you're pointing the finger at companies like goHastings for sending out broken used games traded in by people who, like you, supply them those very games knowing they're broken.

[quote name='jpm804']No sure if this was mentioned before in this thread but looks like they have a iphone/android BB game app that lets you scan your UPC and pulls up the trade in value.

While gimmicky might come in handy if you dont have a computer and wanted to check in trade in value.[/QUOTE]

This has been mentioned before. Don't use it. The values are not updated in real time. Just go to the website on your phone.

Wow, I didn't want to start a debate. That said, I once again find myself aligned with Confoosious. There is certainly a difference between trading in a used, yet playable (ie scratched, incomplete) game and a broken disc.

Knock it off in here. If you see a post that requires mod attention, report it. If not, don't start fights or argue.

[quote name='jpm804']No sure if this was mentioned before in this thread but looks like they have a iphone/android BB game app that lets you scan your UPC and pulls up the trade in value.

While gimmicky might come in handy if you dont have a computer and wanted to check in trade in value.[/QUOTE]
Gimmicky? Say you have 20 games you want to trade-in. You can scan each game and add it to the library within the app. The library then totals the value of the games so you know exactly what you're getting. If you don't want to trade-in a certain game because the TIV is too low just remove it and the total gets adjusted.

If you ask me this is way easier then having to type in each game name, write or copy+paste the value then add it up yourself. You also might be shopping at some store that sells games (BB, GS, etc) and see a game you have at home. If you want to know what it trades in for just use the app. Takes all of 5 seconds.

that app is not accurate tho. or at least it failed me before. i looked up the value right before i do the trade in at the store and they offered me a lower value. and when I got home and I checked the web estimator and it was the same as what they offered me

[quote name='dorkyden']that app is not accurate tho. or at least it failed me before. i looked up the value right before i do the trade in at the store and they offered me a lower value. and when I got home and I checked the web estimator and it was the same as what they offered me[/QUOTE]

100% right. The app was completely accurate for a while. Now it isn't. While still very helpful and convenient, you cannot rely on it entirely.

[quote name='confoosious']yes.

although you're just asking for your account to be flagged with that trade in order.[/QUOTE]
But I thought you could do 3 copies of each game? Why would I get flagged?

[quote name='juanawoman']But I thought you could do 3 copies of each game? Why would I get flagged?[/QUOTE]

oh you're following the rules. But who seriously has 6 copies of the same game across 2 platforms? They know you're a flipper.

I suspect it won't matter soon as they follow amazon's lead and go to 2... and then 1.

who cares if you get flagged right away. the number one rule of flipping is make the credit as quickly as possible, while taking advantage of the situation immediately.

[quote name='perdition(troy'] the number one rule of flipping is make the credit as quickly as possible[/QUOTE]

You must be new to this :roll: ask IATCG how well that worked out for him

[quote name='perdition(troy']who cares if you get flagged right away. the number one rule of flipping is make the credit as quickly as possible, while taking advantage of the situation immediately.[/QUOTE]

Yep.
/facepalm

[quote name='perdition(troy']who cares if you get flagged right away. the number one rule of flipping is make the credit as quickly as possible, while taking advantage of the situation immediately.[/QUOTE]

I think one of the rules is not talking about it tho.

The number 1 rule of flipping is to not screw yourself over so you can't keep flipping.

It's amazing to me how people still don't understand the golden goose story.

[quote name='confoosious']The number 1 rule of flipping is to not screw yourself over so you can't keep flipping.

It's amazing to me how people still don't understand the golden goose story.[/QUOTE]

This definitely the number one rule!

[quote name='Toss']This definitely the number one rule![/QUOTE]

Didn't you admit to trading in 200 hdmi cables to Gamestop? How are you not flagged lol ;)

So who flags whom here? Best Buy corporate flags you if you sent in too many trades or your local store flags you if you trade there too often? I usually go to a couple of Best Buys to avoid being recognized. But I have only traded in 9 games till date at BB.

[quote name='Brenex']You must be new to this :roll: ask IATCG how well that worked out for him[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I admit I broke the cardinal rule of flipping, which is to space out your flips and not get too greedy.:cry: But I thought the days of HDMI cable flipping were soon to be done and I didn't wanna be stuck with a caseful of them.;)

Lesson learned.

I may try some out of town flipping to GS tomorrow just to see if the system brings me up as banned or not. If it does and the transaction won't even go through then I'll know for sure.;) I'll probably try at the store which had a ton of pennied guides that I didn't grabthat cleaned them all out now.:cry:

[quote name='Brenex']You must be new to this :roll: ask IATCG how well that worked out for him[/QUOTE]
Nah, I've been doing it for awhile. Got a ps3 and games back when I bought 25+ fairytale fights from BB for free then traded them all in BBV for 24 a piece. Then used that to flip credit to gamestop. Or the old kmart clearance. And the circuit city 5 sale. Or the 650 I have in best buy gift cards from the last b2g1.

[quote name='Japakneez']Didn't you admit to trading in 200 hdmi cables to Gamestop? How are you not flagged lol ;)[/QUOTE]

Touche!

Flagged probably, but not banned! :D - I'm suprised too!
Those went to about 25 stores in 2 states!

[quote name='perdition(troy']Nah, I've been doing it for awhile. Got a ps3 and games back when I bought 25+ fairytale fights from BB for free then traded them all in BBV for 24 a piece. Then used that to flip credit to gamestop. Or the old kmart clearance. And the circuit city 5 sale. Or the 650 I have in best buy gift cards from the last b2g1.[/QUOTE]

Nah you're not a flipper. Just an asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back