Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lifeinhisway83']I tried searching the thread prior but nothing came up so I apologize if this has been answered.

Can you trade a few of the same game in at one best buy store and then trade a few of the same game at another best buy store? I know trading online you can only trade 3 of a certain game. Just wondering if you could do 2 at one store and 2 at another.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Multiple transactions. One Store.

[quote name='confoosious']The number 1 rule of flipping is to not screw yourself over so you can't keep flipping.[/QUOTE]

:shame:

[quote name='imacgod']Made a trade for June 2. Package arrived June 10. Today is June 28, and the website still says "Waiting to receive." What do I do?[/QUOTE]

Update: June 30th Receipt Confirmation.

And now to wait 7 more days (according to the e-mail) for my card. :roll:

[quote name='imacgod']Update: June 30th Receipt Confirmation.

And now to wait 7 more days (according to the e-mail) for my card. :roll:[/QUOTE]

don't hold your breath.

[quote name='imacgod']Update: June 30th Receipt Confirmation.

And now to wait 7 more days (according to the e-mail) for my card. :roll:[/QUOTE]

the emails wrong ive talked to CS basically its 7-14 days before they actually send off the GC not you'll recieve it in 7-14 days. :roll:

Maybe others have already seen this, but I just noticed when I traded in a couple games last night that for the first time (I had just traded in a couple only a week or so ago) they had cards specifically for game trade-ins.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']that seems relatively bad.[/QUOTE]

relative to what? black ops value tanked everywhere, and children of eden get much either.

[quote name='Miro']relative to what? black ops value tanked everywhere, and children of eden get much either.[/QUOTE]

Craigslist/ Gamestop.

Blops TIV $25
along with extra 50% from promo
$37.50

Child of Eden resells on CL for about the same.

[quote name='GoVols']Has anyone been banned from BB trade-in program yet??? Any problems with the "junior detectives"???[/QUOTE]

Ive traded in about 4 Halo Reaches, 6 Dead Space 2's, 4 Mortal Kombat's, 6 Two Worlds II, and ive had no problems. All at the same store. Different times within about a week.

When it says the promotion ends on July 2, does that mean July 1st is the last day to trade? Or do you get until closing on July 2nd before it ends.

I just noticed today the 30% bonus only works with the two games with the lowest value if you are trading in more than 2 games. It sucks because I kept trading in 3 games at a time with one of them being not worth much.

[quote name='Stimes']I just noticed today the 30% bonus only works with the two games with the lowest value if you are trading in more than 2 games. It sucks because I kept trading in 3 games at a time with one of them being not worth much.[/QUOTE]

I've got a sheet here with like 10 games on it and they all got the 30%. It seems strange that the system would just not be working right in one place, but something was wrong with your trade in. There are like 3 or 4 games where my sheet does NOT have the "promo" added to the game in the list, but my total is 1.3 times the total added up base values. Did you check that?

[quote name='Stimes']Maybe you have to have an even number of games to get 30% for all.[/QUOTE]

Do the math on your sheet, I've got one that I did 3 on (MK PS3 for 24; MK xbox for 24; and Fear xbox for 25), only the two mortal kombat listings have the "Promotion Value" in their part of the list, but at the end it says quoted 73, promo 21.90, and total 94.90, and it can only get to that point with still giving 30% on the fear (even though it's not listed anywhere).

EDIT:
It's also weird because for the 2 MK games it says:
value: 24
Tender number.....
Promo value 10.95
Value/Card 34.95

and then doesn't have the "promo value" for Fear, but that 10.95 is half of the correct bonus amount total (but not the correct bonus for that game). Weird.

Bb trade receipts are garbage.... they make no sense and don't even give you the correct value of the card they issue you

[quote name='Toss']Bb trade receipts are garbage.... they make no sense and don't even give you the correct value of the card they issue you[/QUOTE]

Maybe you grabbed the wrong receipt, because mine always make perfect sense and have the correct value.

Traded in 2 SWTFU II for 33.xx
Not bad.. only gripe I have is that it's now tied up in BB gift card money. Is there even an option to take cash? The employee never even asked me. Oh well I'm sure I'll wind up using that 30 bucks at some point down the road.

[quote name='IronZombie']Traded in 2 SWTFU II for 33.xx
Not bad.. only gripe I have is that it's now tied up in BB gift card money. Is there even an option to take cash? The employee never even asked me. Oh well I'm sure I'll wind up using that 30 bucks at some point down the road.[/QUOTE]

There is an option to have them mail you a check that is less than the gift card amount. You could also just grab some Amazon gift cards located near the Kindle devices or get one of those BB Visa gift cards as I think those could be used elsewhere (I could be wrong, but I saw these yesterday).

I am new to the BB trade-in program and have a few questions.

1. Do they take sealed games?

2. Do I just go to Customer Service witht he games I want to trade-in?

I want to trade-in my regular copy of Borderlands and something else towards the GOTY version of Borderlands. It seems that Borderlands goes for a TIV of $6.00 online, will I get the same in-store?

1. From my experience they do not take sealed games.

2. Most stores now have a dedicated trade in counter, normally the greeter will tell you where to take your trades.

3. Normally TIV's dont change during the day, the price you see on as of opening of your store is correct, mine has been every time.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']1. From my experience they do not take sealed games.

2. Most stores now have a dedicated trade in counter, normally the greeter will tell you where to take your trades.

3. Normally TIV's dont change during the day, the price you see on as of opening of your store is correct, mine has been every time.[/QUOTE]

I took in a sealed game, but had my receipt handy in case they wanted to verify it was not stolen - did not have a problem. I second the TIV's not changing during the day in-store. A couple of weeks ago before the 30% extra was in effect when they still had $30 for "select games from the list", they adjusted all the values online to setup for the new extra 30% promo, but the $30 in store still held until the next day.

[quote name='sassylaurie']I took in a sealed game, but had my receipt handy in case they wanted to verify it was not stolen - did not have a problem. I second the TIV's not changing during the day in-store. A couple of weeks ago before the 30% extra was in effect when they still had $30 for "select games from the list", they adjusted all the values online to setup for the new extra 30% promo, but the $30 in store still held until the next day.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I had the exact opposite experience, guy working the counter said I had to step outside to break the seal on the game, had my receipt as well. So YMMV on that, as with some different things, it varies from store to store.

I'm tempted to wait till tomorrow to get the 40% but I'm afraid that a lot of the game values will go down. Don't the values change on Sunday?

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']Yeah I had the exact opposite experience, guy working the counter said I had to step outside to break the seal on the game, had my receipt as well. So YMMV on that, as with some different things, it varies from store to store.[/QUOTE]

I have traded sealed games a couple of times. They ask if i have receipt and when i say its at home they take the game anyway. But yeah ymmv.

[quote name='nas6034']There's a 40% promo starting tomorrow?[/QUOTE]
40% extra trade in credit when you pre-order NCAA Football 12. Not sure if you have to use all of the trade-in credit towards it though.

[quote name='stevieraveon']40% extra trade in credit when you pre-order NCAA Football 12. Not sure if you have to use all of the trade-in credit towards it though.[/QUOTE]

Probably not because there is no way you can completely pay off a pre-order at BB.

[quote name='dino88']Maybe you grabbed the wrong receipt, because mine always make perfect sense and have the correct value.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm..must be my store's computer. My trades were for 179 as I thought and quoted by the guy helping me. Reciept says 193. I ask him to check it and the register verifies 179.

I think it's fairly funny how all the Best Buys in central florida have the trade in kiosk and signs up everywhere even though they have opened it up yet. I CAN'T WAIT!!

today is the 2nd. the 30% is still in effect right?

and the 40% will only work if you pre-order NCAA Football 12....no thanks

[quote name='iRandom']today is the 2nd. the 30% is still in effect right?

and the 40% will only work if you pre-order NCAA Football 12....no thanks[/QUOTE]

I think it is only $5 down though, so it might be worth it. I'm just afraid games like TFU2, Blood Stone, and Lego Harry Potter will fall.

Took 3 games to trade in towards NCAA 12, which I already had on pre-order. The girl working the trade in desk said that I couldn't do that and would only get me the 30% from trading in 2 or more. Took Duke and MX vs ATV just fine but never could find F3AR in their system even though I had looked it up online about 30 minutes before to find out the trade value. Still $54 for those two isn't horrible, I suppose.

[quote name='Vacabck']Took 3 games to trade in towards NCAA 12, which I already had on pre-order. The girl working the trade in desk said that I couldn't do that and would only get me the 30% from trading in 2 or more. Took Duke and MX vs ATV just fine but never could find F3AR in their system even though I had looked it up online about 30 minutes before to find out the trade value. Still $54 for those two isn't horrible, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

They have to type it as f.e.a.r. 3 same thing happened to me yesterday.

I can confirm that if you purchased F.E.A.R. 3 from Toys R Us it will have a different UPC than other copies, so it doesn't show up in BB's system. They wouldnt' accept it when I traded it in because it would mess up their inventory system. It's unfortunate they don't have a way to fix it.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']I can confirm that if you purchased F.E.A.R. 3 from Toys R Us it will have a different UPC than other copies, so it doesn't show up in BB's system. They wouldnt' accept it when I traded it in because it would mess up their inventory system. It's unfortunate they don't have a way to fix it.[/QUOTE]

Ship it w/o cover art.
Problem solved.

Also, they received my 6 BO Wednesday apparently. I'll contact them Tuesday, to hopefully speed up the verification process. 2 Dead Space 2s were received Thursday. My last Dead space 2 will be delivered Tuesday because the delivery to their facility failed 'cause apparently BB/Dealtree was closed :/ My Crysis 2 should arrive Tuesday too.
My first time trading in to BB. Hopefully it's a good experience.

Thanks to this topic I ended up getting 48.10 from trading in Dead Space 2 (which I got during the Sears sale) and Bulletstorm (which I had no idea it had that silly anti pre owned DLC slip) that I got used at some other site for 20 as well. So I got to play 2 exceptional games, trade them in and net +$8. I love you guys for this. Can get my Gears 3 on now.

I really wish there was on more day left on the 30% sale. I snagged the Borderlands GOTY for $10 and then went to Blockbuster tonight and found 2 copies of SWFU:II for $16. Right now I could get $42 for them but with the 30% it would be $55. Maybe the trade in prices jump in the morning a bit? Will wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back