Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, so i had a great day. got verifications for 6 fable 3's and 6 halo reachs for 30 each, so woot, 360 verified.
then i got some giftcards in the mail, 20 for sports champs, 20 for MoH, 20 for HAWX2. then i went to bbv, got 6 sw fu 2 for $48.xx and flipped at bestbuy for $107.

the trade in group was so awesome. like the whole shift was there at 3, changing of the guard, and they were thanking me for trading in so much. i thought i was having to be kinda sneaky but they said they are like top 10 in trade ins in the country and they said it was mostly cuz of me, lol. this is when i traded in 3 sw fu2s for 360 and ps3, lol. i said that i think they have a great program and they went and gave me the extra +40% without having to preorder anything. so i got like 18.20 for each sw fu2 (13 +40%) woot. I told him i would do the preorder 5 get 100rz and they were like wow you got this down to a science.
haha, the only snafu was that one of the cases wasnt generic ps3 it was a blockbuster case and he was like, did this come from bbv, and im like no way man i just grabbed a case and didnt even think of it, so he pitched the case for me and put it in a generic case they have cuz he didnt want me to get trouble. so yeah, that's awesome, and they made it seem they got bonuses for the more trade ins i did to them, so that's awesome that we all benefit :)

and the gamer grrl there gave me her psn id, so we are gonna play some zombies later, wootwoot. great flippn day ;)

yeah, haha, tivs all dropped with this +30%, i really doubt we will see them bumped to pre +% levels tho, they go down but very rarely go up.

I guess the 3 per title rule doesn't apply to instore trade in? 6 halo reach? 6 sw fu?

[quote name='Velo214']wow, so i had a great day. got verifications for 6 fable 3's and 6 halo reachs for 30 each, so woot, 360 verified.
then i got some giftcards in the mail, 20 for sports champs, 20 for MoH, 20 for HAWX2. then i went to bbv, got 6 sw fu 2 for $48.xx and flipped at bestbuy for $107.

the trade in group was so awesome. like the whole shift was there at 3, changing of the guard, and they were thanking me for trading in so much. i thought i was having to be kinda sneaky but they said they are like top 10 in trade ins in the country and they said it was mostly cuz of me, lol. this is when i traded in 3 sw fu2s for 360 and ps3, lol. i said that i think they have a great program and they went and gave me the extra +40% without having to preorder anything. so i got like 18.20 for each sw fu2 (13 +40%) woot. I told him i would do the preorder 5 get 100rz and they were like wow you got this down to a science.
haha, the only snafu was that one of the cases wasnt generic ps3 it was a blockbuster case and he was like, did this come from bbv, and im like no way man i just grabbed a case and didnt even think of it, so he pitched the case for me and put it in a generic case they have cuz he didnt want me to get trouble. so yeah, that's awesome, and they made it seem they got bonuses for the more trade ins i did to them, so that's awesome that we all benefit :)

and the gamer grrl there gave me her psn id, so we are gonna play some zombies later, wootwoot. great flippn day ;)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Uso']I guess the 3 per title rule doesn't apply to instore trade in? 6 halo reach? 6 sw fu?[/QUOTE]

It 6 per title per platform.
He locked in Different UPC's online

Not a bad day. Traded in a couple of games my kids were no longer playing plus some flippable stuff from Kmart and ended up with just over $125 in credit. Bought $125 worth of Kindle cards, and applied them to my Vita pre-order at Amazon, cutting the cost of that in half.

I see. I always just give them the disk only. I don't know how my local bb will do to for each platform

[quote name='DudeImGodly']It 6 per title per platform.
He locked in Different UPC's online[/QUOTE]

my store closes at 9pm. it's 10 here...you guys think it's close? I just don't want to go and find that they're close

and velo...that sure was one hell of a day if you ask me

[quote name='iRandom']my store closes at 9pm. it's 10 here...you guys think it's close? I just don't want to go and find that they're close
[/QUOTE]

it's 1 am here but the day changes at midnight. You think it's sunday yet? Or do you think it's still saturday?

[quote name='TheBigHouse']Traded in a couple of games my kids were no longer playing plus some flippable stuff from Kmart and ended up with just over $125 in credit.[/QUOTE]

Flippable stuff from the big K? I can't think of one thing they have cheap enough right now that would garner a good value at BB...?

[quote name='Velo214']wow, so i had a great day. got verifications for 6 fable 3's and 6 halo reachs for 30 each, so woot, 360 verified.

and the gamer grrl there gave me her psn id, so we are gonna play some zombies later, wootwoot. great flippn day ;)[/QUOTE]

what's the problem if it came from blockbuster? What trouble would you have got into?

[quote name='arsenal_fan']what's the problem if it came from blockbuster? What trouble would you have got into?[/QUOTE]

IDK what it is but awhile back an employee saw a Gamestop used price sticker and was like "IDK if we can accept this". I asked why and he said cause it was bought used. I thought to myself "yeah so are most of these other games im trading in". He asked the manager and said it was fine.

I think people got confused cause that Buyback program came out at the same time and stuff has to be purchased from them. The trade-in stuff as far as I know is a different thing. Im probably wrong on this but I have no idea what the Best Buy employees at my store know since they have proven to not know anything including buying things from the video game kiosk.

[quote name='sgaldis']Flippable stuff from the big K? I can't think of one thing they have cheap enough right now that would garner a good value at BB...?[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I was distracted helping my son play MLB the Show, so I didn't take the time to elaborate. Meant that I had done the Kmart LA Noire deal (buy LAN, get a $19.99 game free plus a $20 coupon) twice. So I had 2 games (Metro 2033 and Singularity) that I had got for free to trade in, plus I had used the $20 coupons last week on Alice to buy two copies at $15.99 each. I kept one copy, and traded in the other. So "flippable" thanks to a nice Kmart deal, not really by just walking into the store and seeing something for cheap. My apologies.

Looks like this promo has officially ended. From their trade-in page, the 30% promo has been replaced by

"NCAA 40% Bonus
Get 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order NCAA Football 12 Offer expires 07/16/2011"

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Looks like this promo has officially ended. From their trade-in page, the 30% promo has been replaced by

"NCAA 40% Bonus
Get 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order NCAA Football 12 Offer expires 07/16/2011"[/QUOTE]

So if I trade 20 games and pre-order NCAA 12, I'd get a 40% bonus on each one :O

[quote name='scarhawk']So if I trade 20 games and pre-order NCAA 12, I'd get a 40% bonus on each one :O[/QUOTE]
Yeah. The 30% promo was better though. Trade in 2 and get 30% bonus on each game. Here you have to pre-order NCAA.

The new promo is worded in such a way to say Trade in Select Games AND Pre-order NCAA Football 2012 get 40% boost. It does not state if you need to apply it to the game right away. Also what would stop you from just returning the game. They just give GC so I am not sure how they would track this. Definitely interested to see what people get tomorrow. I would much rather get $58 (instead of $42) for my 3 games but I REALLY do not want the NCAA game.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Yeah. The 30% promo was better though. Trade in 2 and get 30% bonus on each game. Here you have to pre-order NCAA.[/QUOTE]

Only if your trade base tiv is less than $50 . The pre order is $5.

As far as I know, Best Buy can't let you put more than $5 down on a game. I don't see how they will force you to put more than $5 on NCAA 12.

The way I see it, I am temporarily giving them $5 so I can have a 40% bump. It is 10% more than the trade 2 for 30% and I don't have to trade in an even number of games ;)

I will be doing this with a few games later this afternoon (in about 6 hours) so I will report back here with details. I am happy as Best Buy has better trade in values than Amazon before the extra 40%!

[quote name='doubledown']Will Best Buy IN STORE take games that have a slash through the UPC? I have a few like that.[/QUOTE]

They should, as they take disc only games. If you think there will be any hassle, just pop out the disc and leave the case at home.

[quote name='Yanksfan']They should, as they take disc only games. If you think there will be any hassle, just pop out the disc and leave the case at home.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...worth a shot. I may trade in a few then. I actually want NCAA 12. Although, they do nto have the best deal.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']"NCAA 40% Bonus
Get 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order NCAA Football 12 Offer expires 07/16/2011"[/QUOTE]So this joins GoW3, Zelda & Madden 2012 as games that have promos that'll work with 5 for $100 RZ deal.

I did a big trade with a bunch of 3-of titles in the trade at a BB yesterday to get in on it before the 30% ended. For some reason the receipt printed out that I was supposed to get paid more than what I got.

I talked to the manager, hoping he'd just spot me the difference, but then it was a chick and she wasn't to "escalate it" and figure out what went wrong. I kind of wanted to just say "screw it" and have them not call, since I'd not like to have any attention drawn to me.

Looking at the label today, though, I can see what happened. It printed the value at 40% on the receipt, but gave me 30%. I tried to call and explain this and get them to stop investigating, but they are going to "escalate it" anyway. I didn't do anything contrary to any rules, I just am not a fan of people higher up at BB scrutinizing a giant trade in with a bunch of triples on it.

[quote name='Envel']As far as I know, Best Buy can't let you put more than $5 down on a game. I don't see how they will force you to put more than $5 on NCAA 12.

The way I see it, I am temporarily giving them $5 so I can have a 40% bump. It is 10% more than the trade 2 for 30% and I don't have to trade in an even number of games ;)

I will be doing this with a few games later this afternoon (in about 6 hours) so I will report back here with details. I am happy as Best Buy has better trade in values than Amazon before the extra 40%![/QUOTE]

Yeah please do let us know. I have a few games that I would like 40% bonus on.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']what's the problem if it came from blockbuster? What trouble would you have got into?[/QUOTE]

I had a guy yesterday (among other crazy things) tell me that I could not trade in the game I got from Blockbuster unless I had a Blockbuster receipt because the sticker meant that it was the property of Blockbuster and he could not legally take it.

This same guy also spent an extra minute reviewing each of 7 games, because he flipped through each page of the manual for every game. This is why I pull the manual and everything else out of every game.

Maybe I'll just start buying little disc sleeves and bringing the games in only in those so that there is nothing for these assholes to look at except the game.

[quote name='DerClaw']I had a guy yesterday (among other crazy things) tell me that I could not trade in the game I got from Blockbuster unless I had a Blockbuster receipt because the sticker meant that it was the property of Blockbuster and he could not legally take it.

This same guy also spent an extra minute reviewing each of 7 games, because he flipped through each page of the manual for every game. This is why I pull the manual and everything else out of every game.

Maybe I'll just start buying little disc sleeves and bringing the games in only in those so that there is nothing for these assholes to look at except the game.[/QUOTE]

Doing their jobs makes them assholes? :roll:

Got back from bestbuy... traded 4 games

La noire $25
Motorstorm apocalypse $18
Gran turismo 5 $21
Socom 4 $23

All base and I preordered ncaa to get 40% with no problems. Yes, its only $5

[quote name='ckim85']Got back from bestbuy... traded 4 games

La noire $25
Gran turismo 5 $21
Socom 4 $23

All base and I preordered ncaa to get 40% with no problems. Yes, its only $5[/QUOTE]

Sweet. I was going to go in a bit but now that it is confirmed that you only have to put the $5 down I am feeling better about this. Eventually could you get the $5 back or put it towards another preorder?

[quote name='ckim85']Got back from bestbuy... traded 4 games

La noire $25
Gran turismo 5 $21
Socom 4 $23

All base and I preordered ncaa to get 40% with no problems. Yes, its only $5[/QUOTE]

How do pre-order cancellations / returns work? I am a newbie when it comes to pre-ordering. I am really not interested in NCAA, so if I get my 40% bonus for games that I traded in, I assume I can use it on anything in store. After paying $5 for the pre-order and using my 40% TIV GC, can I cancel the pre-order or do I wait for the game to be released and then return it?

lol i just got back traded in Dance Central and Kinect Sports for $58.80 with the promo and bought them again new for $42.80

Anyway its just a promo code they enter in to give you the extra credit. The guy actually gave me the 40% promo without me preordering NCAA. He did the preorder as a separate transaction afterwards. And yes there is no limit on games.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Sweet. I was going to go in a bit but now that it is confirmed that you only have to put the $5 down I am feeling better about this. Eventually could you get the $5 back or put it towards another preorder?[/QUOTE]

Well I'm sure you can cancel it but I actually want the game so I'm not worried about it

[quote name='jinxpalm']lol i just got back traded in Dance Central and Kinect Sports for $58.80 with the promo and bought them again new for $42.80

Anyway its just a promo code they enter in to give you the extra credit. The guy actually gave me the 40% promo without me preordering NCAA. He did the preorder as a separate transaction afterwards. And yes there is no limit on games.[/QUOTE]

Do the BB employees know the promo code? If not, do you know what it is so I can inform them during the trade-in to input it?

derclaw! wow you were right
my receipt said i got +40% but when i checked online, it was only 30% bonus.
how strange. it's that crestwood bestbuy messing things up.
im only out $5 i wasnt supposed to get anyway, so i will just ignore it ;)

[quote name='Royal High Knight']So you can trade in psp and ds games without the cases correct?[/QUOTE]

Correct. The stores should accept them. If they don't they are not trained correctly.

I want to get the 40% bonus for pre-ordering NCAA Football 12 and I also want the game.

The thing is though, that they have an upcoming deal where you can get buy 2 get 1 free on all games and I would like to include NCAA in that deal, but would it work since I had pre-ordered it beforehand?

Any help would be appreciated.

I didn't get a chance to report back until now but yes the 40% bonus worked fine. I pre-ordered at the kiosk, got the extra 40% and paid the $5 pre-order with some of my credit. Hassle free!

[quote name='Deuce-']I want to get the 40% bonus for pre-ordering NCAA Football 12 and I also want the game.

The thing is though, that they have an upcoming deal where you can get buy 2 get 1 free on all games and I would like to include NCAA in that deal, but would it work since I had pre-ordered it beforehand?

Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this as well so if anyone knows, it would be great if you shared. I'd imagine that it would work, especially if you only put the minimum on the game as a reserve and then just do the transaction with a few other games when it comes out to get the deal. But who knows.

So I went early today and can report that although you DO need to do a preorder of the game they are not linked together. This basically means you pay the $5 and then they will scan the code allowing for the 40% TIV bonus. I actually went through all my trade and got the bonus before they even processed my Pre-order so there should be no worry about it being revoked if you never pick up the game. I was able to trade 4 SWFU:II I got at BBV for $31.50 and Borderlands GOTY I got at BB the previous day for $10.50 for $95.20 minus the $5 cash I paid for the pre-order. Crazy good deal right now.

I think Best Buy has a minimum trade-in value of $1 for PS2 games. I traded in Strike Force Bowling (PS2) and Triggerman (PS2) and both received $1 in credit (before bonus)... gamestop and amazon would have given me 25 cents. Both those games were purchased from Best Buy about 5 years ago for $0 ($5 games minus a $5 coupon).

Sorry to ask such a noob question, and I know its been asked before but when does Best Buy update their trade-in values? Ive seen some people say its happens during the day? Cause alot of the TIVs held for today and I hope that means that they wont update til later.

[quote name='cheapfrag']I think Best Buy has a minimum trade-in value of $1 for PS2 games. I traded in Strike Force Bowling (PS2) and Triggerman (PS2) and both received $1 in credit (before bonus)... gamestop and amazon would have given me 25 cents. Both those games were purchased from Best Buy about 5 years ago for $0 ($5 games minus a $5 coupon).[/QUOTE]

Yea it is nice to trade in some old disc only sport games and get at least $1

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back