Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cancerman1120']So I went early today and can report that although you DO need to do a preorder of the game they are not linked together. This basically means you pay the $5 and then they will scan the code allowing for the 40% TIV bonus. I actually went through all my trade and got the bonus before they even processed my Pre-order so there should be no worry about it being revoked if you never pick up the game. I was able to trade 4 SWFU:II I got at BBV for $31.50 and Borderlands GOTY I got at BB the previous day for $10.50 for $95.20 minus the $5 cash I paid for the pre-order. Crazy good deal right now.[/QUOTE]

Why can't you use $5 from the gc instead of cash to pay for the pre-order?

[quote name='Abeja']Sorry to ask such a noob question, and I know its been asked before but when does Best Buy update their trade-in values? Ive seen some people say its happens during the day? Cause alot of the TIVs held for today and I hope that means that they wont update til later.[/QUOTE]
It's some time early morning. No clue on the exact time when they update their system. Whatever the trade-in value is when they open will hold until they close.

[quote name='Velo214']derclaw! wow you were right
my receipt said i got +40% but when i checked online, it was only 30% bonus.
how strange. it's that crestwood bestbuy messing things up.
im only out $5 i wasnt supposed to get anyway, so i will just ignore it ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, at the very least, we will know whether corporate plans to ban anyone from trading in games for a while, since if they don't put a ban on me for the trade I did, then they are not banning anyone. I was within the limits, but it was 3X a bunch, via two trades since I didn't bring them all in at once (I asked if they would care if I brought in the rest while they were doing the first) -- So it probably looks real shifty.

It wasn't at crestwood, but you seem to be having a lot of luck there, so maybe I should keep that as my "base shop."

[quote name='Envel']I didn't get a chance to report back until now but yes the 40% bonus worked fine. I pre-ordered at the kiosk, got the extra 40% and paid the $5 pre-order with some of my credit. Hassle free![/QUOTE]

Did you happen to ask how it would work if you did another trade in? I mean, can we put another 5 towards the game or is it a one -time thing?

[quote name='stevieraveon']It's some time early morning. No clue on the exact time when they update their system. Whatever the trade-in value is when they open will hold until they close.[/QUOTE]

I think that is the case most of the time, but there was the incident a couple weeks ago where the system went down when they were creating the 30% deal. Seem to remember it dropping during the day then. So I'd say you are correct except when there is a time that a particular promotion is starting or ending.

[quote name='DerClaw']I think that is the case most of the time, but there was the incident a couple weeks ago where the system went down when they were creating the 30% deal. Seem to remember it dropping during the day then. So I'd say you are correct except when there is a time that a particular promotion is starting or ending.[/QUOTE]
But the values didn't drop. They just shut off trade-in's so they could limp into the next promotion. But that's my conspiracy theory...

[quote name='jinxpalm']lol i just got back traded in Dance Central and Kinect Sports for $58.80 with the promo and bought them again new for $42.80
[/QUOTE]

how?

[quote name='MasterYensid']Has anyone attempted to trade more than 3 copies of a game into the same Best Buy, but on a different day?[/QUOTE]

No, but- they take your driver's license info, which, I was told, was used to track your trades. Somebody mentioned pulling off high quantity trades going to multiple BB same day, but no one has reported what you're suggesting.

Why don't you try and report back?

Note: some games have retailer specific UPC (L.A. Noire), so you can do 3 of each UPC for sure.

[quote name='DerClaw']Did you happen to ask how it would work if you did another trade in? I mean, can we put another 5 towards the game or is it a one -time thing?[/QUOTE]

I believe you can come back and get the bonus again as long as you come back with the reciept for pre-ordering NCAA

[quote name='bh47']No, but- they take your driver's license info, which, I was told, was used to track your trades. Somebody mentioned pulling off high quantity trades going to multiple BB same day, but no one has reported what you're suggesting.

Why don't you try and report back?

Note: some games have retailer specific UPC (L.A. Noire), so you can do 3 of each UPC for sure.[/QUOTE]

You'd probably be OK, if it was like a month apart. I think your only limiting factor is if the CSR remembers you and if you come in two days in a row with 3 of the same game, they are going to remember you i think. Even then, the system would take it (i'm pretty sure the system would take 100 copies of one game in one trip), it would just be whether the CSR would let you.

Has anyone been able to trade in a copy of Fear 3 that was purchased from TRU? When they had a promo I kept one and sold the other to my friend. Now, after I played it a few days I don't want it. The Fear 3 copy they have online has a different UPC than the TRU UPC. Is it safe to trade it in store or would I get denied for the UPC? I'm afraid I will just get denied if I trade in disc only since some don't know the policy.

[quote name='ceve2001']Has anyone been able to trade in a copy of Fear 3 that was purchased from TRU? When they had a promo I kept one and sold the other to my friend. Now, after I played it a few days I don't want it. The Fear 3 copy they have online has a different UPC than the TRU UPC. Is it safe to trade it in store or would I get denied for the UPC? I'm afraid I will just get denied if I trade in disc only since some don't know the policy.[/QUOTE]

In-store trade is def okay. They will enter manually if the upc is diff.

[quote name='DerClaw']You'd probably be OK, if it was like a month apart. I think your only limiting factor is if the CSR remembers you and if you come in two days in a row with 3 of the same game, they are going to remember you i think. Even then, the system would take it (i'm pretty sure the system would take 100 copies of one game in one trip), it would just be whether the CSR would let you.[/QUOTE]

I traded in 4 copies of Force Unleashed 2 on 360 and had no problems. Then I went to another Best Buy and traded in three more. As long as the CSR doesn't notice/care you can trade in as many as they will take. Also the second Best Buy told me they can take 3 copies per day, which I am pretty sure is wrong but they don't care so why should I.

[quote name='Deuce-']I want to get the 40% bonus for pre-ordering NCAA Football 12 and I also want the game.

The thing is though, that they have an upcoming deal where you can get buy 2 get 1 free on all games and I would like to include NCAA in that deal, but would it work since I had pre-ordered it beforehand?

Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

^^

[quote name='Deuce-']^^[/QUOTE]

FACT: Nobody knows

OPINION: Since all reports are that the pre-order and the bonus value are not linked in a single transaction, the bonus become irrelevant when you actually purchase the game. Thus, you *should* be able to add two more games and get the b2g1. Worse comes to worst, you can simply cancel your preorder and buy the 3 games you want normally. You should get your $% deposit back and you will retain the bonus value.

NOTE: You should have been able to figure all this out for yourself based on the posts by others in this thread.

They really need to fix their trade-in system. Its down once again. Talk about being screwed. It went thru to the last page but wouldn't add money to the gift card. Saying amoutn doesn't match blah blah.

[quote name='nas6034']They really need to fix their trade-in system. Its down once again. Talk about being screwed. It went thru to the last page but wouldn't add money to the gift card. Saying amoutn doesn't match blah blah.[/QUOTE]

O crap, I guess Im going to call ahead.

EDIT: Just called and they said its working, so we shall see.

The system is working with the 40% bonus but when it gets to the last page where they add the credit to the gift card it doesn't go through saying the amount does not match or whatever...

[quote name='nas6034']The system is working with the 40% bonus but when it gets to the last page where they add the credit to the gift card it doesn't go through saying the amount does not match or whatever...[/QUOTE]
What happened afterward?

Anyone find any good methods of transferring GS credit to BB credit lately? I've looked but can't seem to find a decent flip and they've gotten rid of their $30/$20 sheets for BB from what I can tell, making it that much more of a PitA to find anything.

Just need one decent flip that can make a bit more on the BB side than on the GS cost side ... any ideas?

Anyone try to do a disc-only trade in the last day or so? The guy today wouldnt accept it cause they said they have decided on policies for their trade-in since it was more a of test run before. I told him that at first games had to be complete, but then they allowed disc-only trades. But he acted like it was a beta trade program and they hadnt really decided on disc-only or not.

O well the guy was cool and I didnt have to preorder to get the bonus.

You guys no that you can preorder Modern Warfare 3 and get the bonus right? I doesnt show up on the site but thats what the guy was telling me as well. Either MW3 or NCAA 12. He even said it to another customer.

I managed to trade in my Fear 3 game which I purchased from TRU, and a few other games as well. The lady who helped me wasn't sure how to do the trades, but her manager walked her through it. I asked them while I was waiting if they would accept disc only, and they said yes. Now, I don't have to worry about it the next time. They don't care if the UPC is not on their system. They will pick the next one as long as it does not say "Not for Resale." So, I guess each store is really YMMV. I'm just happy they accept disc only :bouncy:

Got my extra 40% off credit for pre-ordering, and proceeded to buy some Amazon gift cards :)

[quote name='Abeja']Sorry to ask such a noob question, and I know its been asked before but when does Best Buy update their trade-in values? Ive seen some people say its happens during the day? Cause alot of the TIVs held for today and I hope that means that they wont update til later.[/QUOTE]

Should be on a weekly basis. I've never seen it change midweek.

Had no problem today turning the $60 (plus tax) I had spent during the Blockbuster sale this past weekend into $140 at Best Buy (and then promptly bought $125 in Kindle cards).

If you pre-order a game at Best Buy, can you pick it up at ANY store? I want NCAA12, but some stores are close to work and home. I have my trade in games with me at work.

Just curious.

I'm going to try and trade in a few games with the UPC slashed....hopefully it works.

[quote name='doubledown']If you pre-order a game at Best Buy, can you pick it up at ANY store? I want NCAA12, but some stores are close to work and home. I have my trade in games with me at work.

Just curious.

I'm going to try and trade in a few games with the UPC slashed....hopefully it works.[/QUOTE]

The preorder normally needs to be picked up at the store you did it at, but I think if you get a manager to just process it as a return with your POS receipt we can do it.

I did mine with the 40% extra and it all worked out. Gave the preorder to a coworker. :p

I pre-ordered NCAA for the 40% bonus on a trade-in and also pre-ordered 4 other games for the $100 reward zone certificates. I'm thinking of canceling all the pre-orders. I'm assuming this works like gamestop and it won't affect the TIV since it's all done already?

Just called my local BB because I was told they do in store trade-ins now but they are not listed on the website. I called to confirm and the lady immediately stated that in order to trade-in a game that I had to purchase the game at Best Buy (with receipt showing so). Guess they are too new to start slacking off. Not worth the drive to deal with that hassle.

[quote name='NJMane']Just called my local BB because I was told they do in store trade-ins now but they are not listed on the website. I called to confirm and the lady immediately stated that in order to trade-in a game that I had to purchase the game at Best Buy (with receipt showing so). Guess they are too new to start slacking off. Not worth the drive to deal with that hassle.[/QUOTE]

If it is within a smallish driving distance and you are serious about trading those games in then I recommend going there even if someone told you that on the phone. I once called me local best buy and they told me the system wasn't working. I still went in and then a lady told me they can accept only 5 trade-ins at once. I asked since when and she said since forever. I told her I have traded in more than 5 and you are probably thinking about something else. She asked someone and I could trade in all the games i had. The thing is these guys make all sort of excuses on the phone because most of them dread doing a trade-in since it is a long process, pretty complicated for them and prone to errors. Also, tell them I called BB corporate and they told me I dont need a purchase receipt. I'm pretty confident it should work out for you.

Ok. I'm a bit confused here. On one hand I hear folks submitting their games via UPS (mail) and on the other, in-store.

I have done both in the past but never on a pre-order.

I am interested in driving down to my local BB (which accepts in-store trade-ins) and pre-ordering the game then and there. Taking in about 4-5 games (all inclusive, in good shape, manual, discs, original artwork, etc.). to get the +40% trade-in.

I can do this correct? Trade-in (in-store), pre-order (in-store) and pick-up? Thanks much for any clarification.

[quote name='NJMane']Just called my local BB because I was told they do in store trade-ins now but they are not listed on the website. I called to confirm and the lady immediately stated that in order to trade-in a game that I had to purchase the game at Best Buy (with receipt showing so). Guess they are too new to start slacking off. Not worth the drive to deal with that hassle.[/QUOTE]

Now this (quoted text) is a first. I would recommend dealing with the "dude" and not the "lady" as she's feeding you a load (of :bs:) b/c she's probably got 30 kids in line crying about their Wii not working, double that with "angry" parents (who assume it's the "lady" who is responsible for the faulty system (making assumptions here), and several SENIOR, SENIOR citizens trying to exchange an Apple TV b/c they thought this (little box) was somehow an "Apple TV" (that magically turned into a 50' LCD) when they popped the box open....

One of my BB's takes trade-in's with receipt only of games purchased from BB. Why? They are too new and have not received their 2nd hand dealer license yet. That is why they are not on that list. All the BB's on that list will take whatever games you bring in that are listed.

Isn't NCAA 12 coming out on the 12th? How do you "pre-order" between the 12th and 16th(end date of 40% tiv)?

[quote name='fishwaterjohn']Now this (quoted text) is a first. I would recommend dealing with the "dude" and not the "lady" as she's feeding you a load (of :bs:) b/c she's probably got 30 kids in line crying about their Wii not working, double that with "angry" parents (who assume it's the "lady" who is responsible for the faulty system (making assumptions here), and several SENIOR, SENIOR citizens trying to exchange an Apple TV b/c they thought this (little box) was somehow an "Apple TV" (that magically turned into a 50' LCD) when they popped the box open....[/QUOTE]

You're just wrong. So please don't insult some lady just because you are ill-informed.

Some Best Buys do operate with those rules -- where you can only trade in something you bought there.

I checked UPS tracking and my games were received last week but it still says
"Waiting to be Received" on the trade-in chart thing. Should I call them or what?

[quote name='scarhawk']I checked UPS tracking and my games were received last week but it still says
"Waiting to be Received" on the trade-in chart thing. Should I call them or what?[/QUOTE]

its a literally a month long process. Just have to wait it out, dont think anyone has been screwed over yet.

Im a bit confused. So I can preorder ncaa and get a 40% trade in bonus but the games I trade in don't have to go towards that preorder I can just get a gift card ?

Im a bit confused. So I can preorder ncaa and get a 40% trade in bonus but the games I trade in don't have to go towards that preorder I can just get a gift card ?

you put $5 towards the ncaa preorder and the rest goes on a giftcard.

Another piece of news (that will need confirmation). I preordered NCAA and then went back a second time with additional trade ins. I brought my receipt with me to prove that I had preordered but I did not need it. The blue shirt informed me that the the system picked up the preorder from my phone number and applied the bump up without any additional effort.

Again this will need confirmation, but it seems as if all of the trading does not need to be done in one visit.

ok, so I got some clarification from another Best Buy thats slightly further away that has been handling trade-ins longer. Talking with the manager he said that some stores are "no receipt" stores and some require them. The store that informed me I had to purchase the game at a Best Buy in order to trade-in is correct for that store but not for every (they are brand new at trade-in's and are still going through the install process with the program).

Ended up trading in 8 games for $170 credit. Grabbed 4 kindle gift card and Dark Void (for the easy 1000 achievement points and its not a terrible game for $5).

Traded in (w/ preorder bonus:)
Assassins Creed
AC: Brotherhood
Dance Central
Fallout NV
Ninety Nine Nights 2
Shift 2 Unleashed
Zumba
A little over $100

Picked up;
Dance Central (w/ 240 MSPoints)
Kinect Sports (x2) (Flipped 2nd copy @ GS)
Zumba
Def Jam Rapstar
God of War 3 (price matched Gamestop)

Came out to around $116.XX

Only thing that sucked was Zumba rang up $49.99 went back after seeing $39.99 online the csr gave me a hard time about the adjustment. (saying if she adjusted the price I would lose the promo) To avoid arguing I left but I'll be back tomorrow morning for my refund.

[quote name='kingsnuff']
Only thing that sucked was Zumba rang up $49.99 went back after seeing $39.99 online the csr gave me a hard time about the adjustment. (saying if she adjusted the price I would lose the promo) To avoid arguing I left but I'll be back tomorrow morning for my refund.[/QUOTE]

Zumba is $49.99 and clear as day in the ad. CSR was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back