Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kingsnuff']http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Zumba+F...218265772959&skuId=1515341&st=zumba&lp=2&cp=1[/QUOTE]

yes, I can see the web site. :roll: Zumba is still $49.99 in store.

zumban.jpg

The website is not the same as in-store. In order to give you the website price (on any item actually), a cashier has to adjust the price of the instore item and get manager to approve. Therefore, by adjusting the price instore, she can't give you both promos. You can go argue it with a manager if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that she was right.

That may be one of the online-only deals that go unadvertised. If you do match it, the B1G1 does become YMMV. They aren't supposed to match prices and offer any other deals on top. However, you might able to get away with it if they don't know about it and/or if the computer just accepts it anyway (at least I've had some price matches work on top of deals Best Buy was offering because the computer didn't stop me). But it does look awkward since the website offers it at $39.99 and the B1G1 deal.

Really, it's worth a shot trying to get the refund or price match. Just don't be surprised if they let you down.

I never saw the ad, only checked online. worst case scenario ill return zumba/kinect sports, order online through my phone and use in store pickup.

[quote name='kingsnuff']Traded in (w/ preorder bonus:)
Assassins Creed
AC: Brotherhood
Dance Central
Fallout NV
Ninety Nine Nights 2
Shift 2 Unleashed
Zumba
A little over $100

Picked up;
Dance Central (w/ 240 MSPoints)
Kinect Sports (x2) (Flipped 2nd copy @ GS)
Zumba
Def Jam Rapstar
God of War 3 (price matched Gamestop)

Came out to around $116.XX

Only thing that sucked was Zumba rang up $49.99 went back after seeing $39.99 online the csr gave me a hard time about the adjustment. (saying if she adjusted the price I would lose the promo) To avoid arguing I left but I'll be back tomorrow morning for my refund.[/QUOTE]

Some Dance Centrals come with 240 MS points?

[quote name='bgame2']Some Dance Centrals come with 240 MS points?[/QUOTE]

yeah, it's got a little bug on it that says 240 pts. Different UPC I believe so you can't trade it into Amazon.

[quote name='bgame2']Thanks Confoosious. I have two unopened copies downstairs. I have to go investigate.[/QUOTE]

trades into GS for $20+50% bonus.

I just traded in my old copy today and picked up the 240 pt one.

[quote name='kingsnuff']I never saw the ad, only checked online. worst case scenario ill return zumba/kinect sports, order online through my phone and use in store pickup.[/QUOTE]

That would be the best way to go to avoid the hassle of arguing. It's dumb when stores have diff prices online vs in-store. Gamestop pisses me off when they do it.

[quote name='bh47']That would be the best way to go to avoid the hassle of arguing. It's dumb when stores have diff prices online vs in-store. Gamestop pisses me off when they do it.[/QUOTE]

From a business perspective, it makes perfect sense.

The way that BB fails at it is that you can just order on your phone and pick it up right there, which is just a time inconvenience for everyone and silly.

No codes in the ones I had. However, while shuffling through my recent stuff I did find two things that had 160 MS points. I also have several of those cards with codes on them that say "hang on to this code to keep dancin." No idea what those are for.

[quote name='bgame2']Another piece of news (that will need confirmation). I preordered NCAA and then went back a second time with additional trade ins. I brought my receipt with me to prove that I had preordered but I did not need it. The blue shirt informed me that the the system picked up the preorder from my phone number and applied the bump up without any additional effort.

Again this will need confirmation, but it seems as if all of the trading does not need to be done in one visit.[/QUOTE]

This is VERY interesting. I have actually have pre-ordered for the bonus at 2 stores (I plan on getting both copies folks), and I ended up getting the bonus at a 3rd store without actually having to get the preorder (once the CSR selected the bonus in the computer, he was trying to tell me that it was already linked to my account somehow; he was a little stubborn, so I didn't argue...saved me $5 anyway).

Also, I wonder if this is specific to the store that you pre-ordered at? Because when I visited the 2nd and 3rd stores, the bonus did not automatically apply; I had to mention the promo at both (they knew little to nothing about it). I wonder if my next trade in at one of the two I got an actual pre-order at will have the bonus instantly applied? :whistle2:k

My problem is, I've got about 10-12 more games coming in from the Hastings sale last week I'm gonna need to trade in probably two transactions. It would be nice if I could just walk back into those stores and not have to go through the ruse of getting another preorder for the bonus (again folks, they've already gotten two out of me that I will be paying for at full MSRP).

[quote name='confoosious']yeah, it's got a little bug on it that says 240 pts. Different UPC I believe so you can't trade it into Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it trades right back into BB for $28 (if you utilize the aforementioned promo), and you can keep the 240 pts as an extra bonus! ;)

[quote name='bgame2']No codes in the ones I had. However, while shuffling through my recent stuff I did find two things that had 160 MS points. I also have several of those cards with codes on them that say "hang on to this code to keep dancin." No idea what those are for.[/QUOTE]

That same card was in the copy I traded in today...I figured I didnt need it since I was buying the game again. hopefully someone tries it and it wont go to waste. just checked the case for the one w/ points and its not there.

[quote name='sgaldis']This is VERY interesting. I have actually have pre-ordered for the bonus at 2 stores (I plan on getting both copies folks), and I ended up getting the bonus at a 3rd store without actually having to get the preorder (once the CSR selected the bonus in the computer, he was trying to tell me that it was already linked to my account somehow; he was a little stubborn, so I didn't argue...saved me $5 anyway).

Also, I wonder if this is specific to the store that you pre-ordered at? Because when I visited the 2nd and 3rd stores, the bonus did not automatically apply; I had to mention the promo at both (they knew little to nothing about it). I wonder if my next trade in at one of the two I got an actual pre-order at will have the bonus instantly applied? :whistle2:k

My problem is, I've got about 10-12 more games coming in from the Hastings sale last week I'm gonna need to trade in probably two transactions. It would be nice if I could just walk back into those stores and not have to go through the ruse of getting another preorder for the bonus (again folks, they've already gotten two out of me that I will be paying for at full MSRP).

Yeah, but it trades right back into BB for $28 (if you utilize the aforementioned promo), and you can keep the 240 pts as an extra bonus! ;)[/QUOTE]

I'll do my best to shed a little more light on this tomorrow morning. I am going to my other store to do a trade in. I'll wait it out until the last minute to see if I get the bonus automatically (even though my preorder is at the other store). I'll post results.

****One other thing, Enuf might have touched on this already, the rumor is that the new trade in system and the points cards are going to be in place in August. Allegedly this will make the trade in process significantly faster.

Got Wipeout and Child of Eden for 50 + tax, traded Wipeout while I was still in the store for 33.90.

Then used that GC to buy Dance Central + Kinect Sports.

Gonna keep DC, will see what I wanna do w/ KS. With extra 40% at GS it's a nice flip, as well as back in to BB.

[quote name='bgame2']I'll do my best to shed a little more light on this tomorrow morning. I am going to my other store to do a trade in. I'll wait it out until the last minute to see if I get the bonus automatically (even though my preorder is at the other store). I'll post results.

****One other thing, Enuf might have touched on this already, the rumor is that the new trade in system and the points cards are going to be in place in August. Allegedly this will make the trade in process significantly faster.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for any results you can share on your trade-in tomorrow.

And yes, the streamlining would be an absolute dream at this point. I was literally about to firebomb one of the BB's I went to today, after being bounced around to no less than FOUR different registers After 50 minutes, I was finally able to receive my trade in credit (I was trading in 5 whole games!) and pay for my pre-order by the one employee there who seemed to have anything in between their ears. AND he was simultaneously trying to help some old lady with a camera; he was on hold with the company for her! The other employees in the near-empty store (including the googly-eyed manager :shock:) just kind of milled around, or stared off into oblivion.

TIV drop to $15 for both Dance Central and Kinect Sports. Suck cause my GC just arrived tonight after a month wait and I was gonna go flip tomo.

Freaking SD killed this... ahahahh

This is from one of the post and there was more:

Only found the Wipeout in stock, confirmed the TIV with the gaming supervisor and told him I would be right back. Bought the games, told the yellow-shirt I was trading them back in because of the awesome promo. He was impressed and even got on his walkie-talkie to tell the gaming supervisor I was on my way back to do a trade-in.

Talked to the supervisor again while he rang up my pre-order and then got me my $67.20 GC. Turns out some guy bought 3 each of Borderlands 360/PS3 on Sunday for $10 each and traded them in today for $22 each after the NCAA promo. He thought it was awesome that people were getting great deals in the store.

[quote name='bigant262']So I can go and put $5 down on NCAA and get the extra 40%?[/QUOTE]

Not to put u down, but please read previous pgs of this thread and u will find ur answer

[quote name='stuntrogue']Freaking SD killed this... ahahahh

Only found the Wipeout in stock, confirmed the TIV with the gaming supervisor and told him I would be right back. Bought the games, told the yellow-shirt I was trading them back in because of the awesome promo. He was impressed and even got on his walkie-talkie to tell the gaming supervisor I was on my way back to do a trade-in.

Talked to the supervisor again while he rang up my pre-order and then got me my $67.20 GC. Turns out some guy bought 3 each of Borderlands 360/PS3 on Sunday for $10 each and traded them in today for $22 each after the NCAA promo. He thought it was awesome that people were getting great deals in the store.[/QUOTE]

PS3 version wasnt 9.99.

[quote name='stuntrogue']Freaking SD killed this... ahahahh

Talked to the supervisor again while he rang up my pre-order and then got me my $67.20 GC. Turns out some guy bought 3 each of Borderlands 360/PS3 on Sunday for $10 each and traded them in today for $22 each after the NCAA promo. He thought it was awesome that people were getting great deals in the store.[/QUOTE]

Cause and Effect. Best Buy will eventually bring down their awesome trade-in prices due to people abusing. See Blockbuster, Gamestop, etc.

I'm surprised BB's TIV's haven't completely plummeted yet lol.
Amazon's TIVs used to be epic now they're decent.
Gazelle had great TIVs, now they're crap.
The list goes on...

I've read through page after page and have yet to read one coherent "this is what I'm flipping post." Since this is about BB trade-ins how about someone contribute info like that and less about kiosk wait times?

[quote name='ijustw1n']I've read through page after page and have yet to read one coherent "this is what I'm flipping post." Since this is about BB trade-ins how about someone contribute info like that and less about kiosk wait times?[/QUOTE]

A little research on your own goes a long way instead of depending upon others to do your work for you.

Kinect Sports and Dance Central are good flips right now to gamestop.

[quote name='ijustw1n']I've read through page after page and have yet to read one coherent "this is what I'm flipping post." Since this is about BB trade-ins how about someone contribute info like that and less about kiosk wait times?[/QUOTE]

They don't post it here that often because this is for gamers. Most true gamers don't want to destroy the TiV and abuse it. They want to be able to take the game home play it and then trade in. Instead of just flipping and having the TiV tank.

If you want advice on what to flip, go to slick deals or any other deal website cause you usually won't find a lot of that here. Besides stop being lazy as all the tools are here to find out the best games to flip.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']They don't post it here that often because this is for gamers. Most true gamers don't want to destroy the TiV and abuse it. They want to be able to take the game home play it and then trade in. Instead of just flipping and having the TiV tank.

If you want advice on what to flip, go to slick deals or any other deal website cause you will rarely find that here. Besides stop being lazy as all the tools are here to find out the best games to flip.[/QUOTE]

Don't be fooled: CAGs abuse TIV all the time. Info for flips have been told in extreme in these threads. Read a few pages back and you would see what titles are being flipped. In fact, 1 post above yours just stated some of the flipping.

Personally, when I was a poor college student, flipping was neccessary in order to afford the games/dvds I wanted. Now that I have a real job, there is no need for me to waste all that time/gas flipping titles.

I'm gonna have to go into work a little early today...if anybody who has already pre-ordered NCAA attempts a trade today, please let us know if the 40% bonus in automatically applied to your TIV.

[quote name='Abeja']Anyone try to do a disc-only trade in the last day or so? The guy today wouldnt accept it cause they said they have decided on policies for their trade-in since it was more a of test run before. I told him that at first games had to be complete, but then they allowed disc-only trades. But he acted like it was a beta trade program and they hadnt really decided on disc-only or not.
[/QUOTE]

I created a situation when I brought in a copy of Killzone 3 I had bought used at GS. I never took the GS UPC sticker off the back, so I didn't know that underneath it in place of the original UPC it had "not for resale". The CSR called his manager & a co-worker over to help. After a gentle suggestion from me, one of them realized they can take the disc out (which did not have "not for resale" on it anywhere), give me back the case, and do a disc-only trade-in. They just had to look up the SKU for it-- I got the same TIV as if I had the case.

So I'm pretty sure their policy allows for disc-only trades.

Side note, while I'm not a huge Best Buy fan in general, with the experience I've had so far I've been fairly impressed with their game section employees.

...except for maybe the one I saw upselling a customer to a ridiculously priced HDMI cable (apparently even the $60 one was "cheap crap" because it didn't have gold-plated connectors). I know this is just how they do things at Best Buy, but I had to grit my teeth to keep from saying something.

[quote name='lordopus99']Don't be fooled: CAGs abuse TIV all the time. Info for flips have been told in extreme in these threads. Read a few pages back and you would see what titles are being flipped. In fact, 1 post above yours just stated some of the flipping.

Personally, when I was a poor college student, flipping was neccessary in order to afford the games/dvds I wanted. Now that I have a real job, there is no need for me to waste all that time/gas flipping titles.[/QUOTE]

I'm in no way saying that they don't, but compared to SD and all the other websites it is a lot less here. Along with a lot more opposition here. I don't post the flip games here as I just try to be respectful of those gamers that don't like it on here. But any other site I'll throw it up there once in a while. Besides this site has GS TiV and you can go to BB to get theirs, so I usually dont see a reason to post as it takes 20 min to compare deals to TiV

I am in the same boat that you were in. With a 7year old and another on the way I can't justify spending money on games when we need plenty of other things for the baby. Flipping credit back and forth gets me enough games to have a small backlog.

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone find any good methods of transferring GS credit to BB credit lately? I've looked but can't seem to find a decent flip and they've gotten rid of their $30/$20 sheets for BB from what I can tell, making it that much more of a PitA to find anything.

Just need one decent flip that can make a bit more on the BB side than on the GS cost side ... any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Well if "a bit more" means a couple of buck, then FEAR 3 might qualify... it's $34.99 used right now... so if you have the PUR card then that would be $31.50 after 10% off. It trades into Best Buy for $25 so with the 40% Pre-order bonus, it would be $35.

Won't make you rich but will allow you to move credit from Gamestop to Best Buy if you can find FEAR 3 used.

I know it usually takes quite a while to get your gift card after mailing a trade in to Best Buy (of course I found that out AFTER already mailing it).

But for the hell of it, I submitted a support contact email anyway.

I told them it's been 2 weeks since they received my package from UPS and it still says "waiting to receive" on the site, and was wondering when the hell anything would get updated and when I would receive my gift card.

Literally FOUR minutes after submission I got an email saying my trade ins were verified. I don't know if that means they sped up the process or they simply flipped a switch to make me feel a little happier, but it's worth a shot if you don't feel like waiting.

This is precisely why we shouldn't post crap, cause it's helping lazy fucks and lurkers who can't be bothered to take 10 minutes to do the research themselves.

[quote name='scarhawk']Damn I wish my BB did trade-ins w/o BB receipt but they are the crappiest BB ever. The 1/5 rating on Bestbuy.com says it all.[/QUOTE]
My 0/5 rated store kicks your store's ass. Just kidding.

My store is rated about the same, and aside from occasionally not being able to get a price match, the quality is sufficient enough to serve my CAG needs.

just to clarify, for the 40% bonus to work, I need to go to the game kisko, preorder NCAA Football 12 for $5.00, head to customer service to trade in and they will deduct $5 dollar for trade in and put the rest of the money onto a best buy gift card, correct?

And the lovely CAG community rears it's head once again ... There was once a time when people were comfortable sharing flips, even if lurkers happened upon them as well. These days, everyone is so concerned about their own ability to profit that they can't even bother to share a decent flip. I've looked and haven't found much that is blatantly profitable between GS --> BB, at least before taking into account the 40% that requires the extra pre-order hoop. Sure there might be a way or two to transfer credit from GS but with BB's tivs dropping, I'm still looking.

[quote name='sadboy']My 0/5 rated store kicks your store's ass. Just kidding.

My store is rated about the same, and aside from occasionally not being able to get a price match, the quality is sufficient enough to serve my CAG needs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah well I should be able to do BB -> BB flips right.
EX: Buy X game today at $22 -> Flip game back with receipt at $40

[quote name='scarhawk']Yeah well I should be able to do BB -> BB flips right.
EX: Buy X game today at $22 -> Flip game back with receipt at $40[/QUOTE]

Luckily I dont need a receipt at my Best Buy however, they do look for gamestop stickers/residue. I swapped all my cases and traded in my Blockbuster pickups (B1G1 last week) yesterday. I have a $15 giftcard leftover, figured I'd buy Borderlands for $9.99 ($16 TIV) add that to the remaining $5 then pickup Dead Rising 2.

[quote name='tepro']TIV drop to $15 for both Dance Central and Kinect Sports. Suck cause my GC just arrived tonight after a month wait and I was gonna go flip tomo.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of doing a buy 3, trade 2, keep 1 free the next time I was in for Brutal Legend, but it also appears to have dropped of the trade in list.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']I know it usually takes quite a while to get your gift card after mailing a trade in to Best Buy (of course I found that out AFTER already mailing it).

But for the hell of it, I submitted a support contact email anyway.

I told them it's been 2 weeks since they received my package from UPS and it still says "waiting to receive" on the site, and was wondering when the hell anything would get updated and when I would receive my gift card.

Literally FOUR minutes after submission I got an email saying my trade ins were verified. I don't know if that means they sped up the process or they simply flipped a switch to make me feel a little happier, but it's worth a shot if you don't feel like waiting.[/QUOTE]

It's only been 8 days since they've received mine, but I submitted an email just for the heck of it.

[quote name='Xellos2099']just to clarify, for the 40% bonus to work, I need to go to the game kisko, preorder NCAA Football 12 for $5.00, head to customer service to trade in and they will deduct $5 dollar for trade in and put the rest of the money onto a best buy gift card, correct?[/QUOTE]

That should work. At mine, I told the guy at the trade in desk that I wanted the NCAA deal, and after he did my trade-ins, he walked over to the kiosk and printed out a pre-order slip for me.

Really no decent flips between GS to BB been searching for awhile. I have a ton of GS credit I want to move to BB because of the pre-order and buy 5 and get $100 GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back