Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kiwimonster']Really no decent flips between GS to BB been searching for awhile. I have a ton of GS credit I want to move to BB because of the pre-order and buy 5 and get $100 GC.[/QUOTE]

Trackmania: Build to Race for the Wii sells for $10 new / $9 pre-owned at GS. I don't know if it is the same game or not but a Trackmania for the Wii has a TIV of $10 at BB. Add the 40% and you could get $14 BB credit for $10 GS credit. This is assuming the trade works. I guess you can just try it out. Buy it from GS, trying trading in to BB and if it doesn't work then just return it.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Trackmania: Build to Race for the Wii sells for $10 new / $9 pre-owned at GS. I don't know if it is the same game or not but a Trackmania for the Wii has a TIV of $10 at BB. Add the 40% and you could get $14 BB credit for $10 GS credit. This is assuming the trade works. I guess you can just try it out. Buy it from GS, trying trading in to BB and if it doesn't work then just return it.[/QUOTE]

Oh awesome I will look into it. Thanks! I am going to keep searching for games between GS and BB.

fyi i cancelled my preorder today with no issues. Im going to see if I still get the bonus later on this week...dont really need it, just curious.

Also, Alice, Duke Nukem, and FEAR 3 are all good GS to Best Buy flips if you can find them used. They are 34.99 right now and trade in for about that much at Best Buy after the 40% bump.

Traded in Halo Reach and Dead Rising 2 got $44.80 GC after 40% bonus from pre-ordering NCAA.
Wish I could have taken advantage of the Kinect games before SD got wind of it but o well.

I'm going to sell 80% of my games tomorrow; I pray it goes smoothly....... The site says my store doesn't need receipts so I hope it's true since it's too late to call now and I'm going when the store opens tomorrow.

Question...... Where do I even go to sell these games, customer service or is there a new section? o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='USB Cable']I'm going to sell 80% of my games tomorrow; I pray it goes smoothly....... The site says my store doesn't need receipts so I hope it's true since it's too late to call now and I'm going when the store opens tomorrow.

Questions...... Where do I even go to sell these games, customer service or is there a new section? o_O[/QUOTE]
How many games is that exactly? If it's a lot, you might have a heck of a time getting them processed.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']So is it a YMMV on a amazon kindle gift card? I searched my whole store and couldn't find so I'm guessing my store doesn't carry it.[/QUOTE]

They are usually with the e-readers and the e-reader accessories. There should be an aisle with e-reader covers, chargers, and other accessories - the Kindle cards would be there if your store has them.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Amother question, if i want to cancel my ncaa preorder, do i must go to same story or will different bb work too?[/QUOTE]

Have to cancel at the BB you pre-ordered from. I tried it at another BB I was at because they had the actual kinect games I wanted in stock, told me it had to be done at the BB I pre-ordered from. I went in to customer service said I no longer want this item bam my $5 back.

Not a great flip, but something for all the lurkers out there ;-p

Tony Hawk Shred game-only for 360 is currently $14.99 used at Gamestop. With PowerUp Rewards it's $13.49 after tax.

It trades at BB for $13 pre-40% boost from preordering. Flip a couple and you can transfer credit and make a few bucks.

That is the ONLY decent flip I could find right now that makes a little money, rather than relying on the 40 boost to avoid a significant loss.

God... traded in 5 games tonight. Took about 45 minutes, because there was an about 20 minute interlude where 5 employees needed to discuss whether I could use the receipt from pre-ordering ncaa already or if I needed to preorder again and cancel (yes, they were debating that topic -- even though either way it would have the same effect), then once somebody finally made the judgement call that they could use the receipt, one of the the guys that had been spastically opening and closing the cases decided that he didn't think that best buy could take games without the manuals and we needed another 10 minute interlude where they debated that topic. And this is one of the stores that actually has a game trade in kiosk....

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Trackmania: Build to Race for the Wii sells for $10 new / $9 pre-owned at GS. I don't know if it is the same game or not but a Trackmania for the Wii has a TIV of $10 at BB. Add the 40% and you could get $14 BB credit for $10 GS credit. This is assuming the trade works. I guess you can just try it out. Buy it from GS, trying trading in to BB and if it doesn't work then just return it.[/QUOTE]

What sucks is that the game is pretty hard to find used and also pretty darn good. I'd love to flip a couple but I can't even find a local used copy for myself to keep. Well worth the $10 new price point but a used one at $8.10 would be even better. Oh well, I'll take what I can get :)

I posted from my phone earlier, but I just wanted to repost my results from earlier so that it was clear.

I went to a Best Buy that I did not preorder NCAA at earlier tonight. The bonus did not kick in automatically this time, but I was able to get it by showing my receipt from preordering at the original store. One other (possibly) relevant piece of information. The girl who helped me has handled my trade ins in the past. She is one of the most proficient employees I've encountered so it wasn't very difficult to get the bonus, but who knows what some of the less competent employees would have done.

[quote name='bgame2']who knows what some of the less competent employees would have done.[/QUOTE]

See my post about two posts up for some ideas ;)

The store I went to had to manually give me the 40% bonus so it took an extra ten minutes but I got the bonus 40% so all is good. Now do I pick up NCAA 11 or not?

[quote name='bgame2']I posted from my phone earlier, but I just wanted to repost my results from earlier so that it was clear.

I went to a Best Buy that I did not preorder NCAA at earlier tonight. The bonus did not kick in automatically this time, but I was able to get it by showing my receipt from preordering at the original store. One other (possibly) relevant piece of information. The girl who helped me has handled my trade ins in the past. She is one of the most proficient employees I've encountered so it wasn't very difficult to get the bonus, but who knows what some of the less competent employees would have done.[/QUOTE]

My store has a really hot/Innocent Red head.. Does that count for something?

[quote name='atc250es']The store I went to had to manually give me the 40% bonus so it took an extra ten minutes but I got the bonus 40% so all is good. Now do I pick up NCAA 11 or not?[/QUOTE]

The way I figure it, I have absolutely no interest in ncaa 2012, but if you consider that BB would be giving the 30% TIV bonus (or have bumped their TIVs back up the roughly 30% they dropped them), without that deal, so basically 10% of the base of all the trades I've done on that deal are "free monies"

Since it counts for the 100 dollar thing, and 10% of the base that I've done is about 25 bucks, I figure the game is "costing" me 15 dollars (plus tax on 60 dollars), so I might as well get it, try it for a couple days, and then trade it back to BB for 40 bucks in GCs in a couple weeks.

Any of you guys in Minneapolis? I'm going to be up there for a wedding starting tomorrow night and my wife wants to go kill some time at that giant mall. That means I'll probably just meander around shopping (which means that I will probably start flipping games while I am waiting). So my question is whether the BBs in minneapolis are hard-asses about trade ins?

[quote name='atc250es']The store I went to had to manually give me the 40% bonus so it took an extra ten minutes but I got the bonus 40% so all is good. Now do I pick up NCAA 11 or not?[/QUOTE]

Oops just realized I put 11 instead of 12, im going to give it a go and just sell it if I don't like it.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']So is it a YMMV on a amazon kindle gift card? I searched my whole store and couldn't find so I'm guessing my store doesn't carry it.[/QUOTE]

Did you try asking the people who work there?

[quote name='atc250es']There are a couple states that don't carry kindle cards, I don't remember which ones, maybe Florida?[/QUOTE]

I've never seen any kindle cards here in Florida so you might be right. Don't really mind it though, BBY seems to really be picking it up in the Deals department.

I end up using my buy 2 get 1 free coupon from gamestop and picked up 2 x fear 3 and duke nukem for 63 game stop credit. Flipped it to best buy got 102 dollar. -5 dollar for preorder ncaa, - 55 dollar for eureka seaosn 1-4. Got 47 dollar left over, will probably get dance central and kinetic sport tomorrow for 44 and flip it back to gamestop for 63.

I dunno about you but train fare + 5 dollar for eureka 1-4 is a steal for me. Of course i used my buy 2 get 1 coupon but I see nothing i want at gamestop for the next month anyway.

[quote name='Velo214']seems like tdu2 get 15 tiv, i wonder if a store might have it on sale now til 8am for 10?[/QUOTE]

looks like they are out of ps3 copies :/

[quote name='sadboy']How many games is that exactly? If it's a lot, you might have a heck of a time getting them processed.[/QUOTE]

Well 80% of my current gen games so it's not to crazy but about 30-40. I bought them all new and took care of them so they have no scratches, the case and manual. I know some employees can be slow/confused that's why I'm trying to get there at opening, I pray it doesn't take all day....

[quote name='Mako1215']Does anyone know if the 40% is only applied to video games?

I have a iPod Nano Touch 8gb I want to trade in.[/QUOTE]

It only applies to games.

Also, a few of you want the guide to flipping, here ya go...

Buy a kinect game get one free, Dance Central & Kinect Sports together for $39.99. Trade in value for them together, $44. Plus, 40% bonus trade in with NCAA Preorder for $5. $61.6 gift card, spent $45.

You may do this three times per store. That's a total $184.8 gift card, with $125 spent, or a $59.8 profit.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']No because they were all busy so I didn't want to bother them.[/QUOTE]
Ask them. They're not exactly out in the open.

[quote name='HyundaiJVX']It only applies to games.

Buy a kinect game get one free, Dance Central & Kinect Sports together for $39.99. Trade in value for them together, $44. Plus, 40% bonus trade in with NCAA Preorder for $5. $61.6 gift card, spent $45.

You may do this three times per store. That's a total $184.8 gift card, with $125 spent, or a $59.8 profit.[/QUOTE]

The TIVs dropped the 15. So you are barely getting what you paid for if you do even after tax. The better flip would be to take those and trade them into Gamestop for 42 plus 50%. 63 in credit. Although you are getting more money, I dont want Gamestop credit and I certainly dont want to trade Amazon/BB cards for it.

Looks like if you want to increase your Best Buy giftcards, then the best flip would be to buy Wipeout X2 for $55, then trade both in for $24 plus 40%. Paid $55, get 67.2 in gift cards.

Side note: Told my brother about the TFU2 flip this past weekend, and he was like "why didnt you tell me!?!?!". After I talked to him, I called the Blockbuster Video literally down the street from him and they had 12 PS3 copies and 9 Xbox 360 copies. Woah

[quote name='Velo214']lol, it's funny when people tell people flipping deals that ended a few days ago ;)[/QUOTE]

Well I was too busy helping my other brother flip some games to get a computer. I was honestly surprised at how many copies they had. I didnt realize the store had so many games.

For the Kinect B1G1 promo, it looks like body and brain connection (29.99) is a good flip just find them for local store pickup. 2 for $32 after tax, TIV is $15 or $17 (not sure which one to use) gets you $42 or 47.60 for gift card.

[quote name='ijustw1n']For the Kinect B1G1 promo, it looks like body and brain connection (29.99) is a good flip just find them for local store pickup. 2 for $32 after tax, TIV is $15 or $17 (not sure which one to use) gets you $42 or 47.60 for gift card.[/QUOTE]
Going on $15 now. Good find though so you're still looking at $10 profit.

I had to do some searching to find some. Ended up finding them on the checkout desk in the computers section. My store has a GC cart that has every other GC but Kindle so I thought I may be out of luck. Good luck sir.

I never find Kindle cards near the other gift cards but they're at the front on the side of the row where the actual Kindles are.

[quote name='HyundaiJVX']It only applies to games.

You may do this three times per store. That's a total $184.8 gift card, with $125 spent, or a $59.8 profit.[/QUOTE]

wipeout has a TIV of $24 and it counts as B1G1 kinect games.
$24+40% bonus = 33.60 per wipeout

Does anyone know the status', and in what order they come, for the online trade ins?

For example..
Waiting to receive
Payment pending
etc

since amazon is now offering a 20$ credit for pre-ordering NCAA 12 will best buy match? im thinking about switching my pre-order over to amazon...

[quote name='AyoTech']since amazon is now offering a 20$ credit for pre-ordering NCAA 12 will best buy match? im thinking about switching my pre-order over to amazon...[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Don't know if they will pm amazon, but I thought TRU had a $20 promo just for the weekend. Leas. I thought that it was TRU

Personally I was looking at trying to double dip. Use the 40% credit for trade ins then PM to one of the deals. Also have it qualify for the 5 preorders for $100 back.

Wonder if that is going too far...

[quote name='AyoTech']since amazon is now offering a 20$ credit for pre-ordering NCAA 12 will best buy match? im thinking about switching my pre-order over to amazon...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jimmienoman']I was thinking the same thing. Don't know if they will pm amazon, but I thought TRU had a $20 promo just for the weekend. Leas. I thought that it was TRU[/QUOTE]

No, Best Buy does not price match online stores. This is taken from their price match guarantee webpage for BestBuy.com:
[quote name='Best Buy']Does BestBuy.com match the prices of other retailers?

At this time, the BestBuy.com Price Match Guarantee does not cover the prices listed by other online or store retailers.
[/quote]

& Best Buy retail stores price match guarantee webpage:
[quote name='Best Buy']
Does Best Buy match prices of Internet retailers?

Best Buy does not match the prices of Internet-only retailers or the online only offers of our local retail competitors. If you find a local retail competitor honoring its own online prices, we'll match their price. Eligible items must be the same brand and model, and currently in stock at the local retail competitors store. For purchases made at BestBuy.com, please see our BestBuy.com Price Match Guarantee Policy.[/quote]

At my store today I was told that in order to get the extra 40% bonus, the preorder and trade-ins have to be all in the same transaction. The guy at the kiosk wasn't sure and had to call over a manager. I believe I've read here that people have been getting the extra 40% multiple times from the same preorder. Is this true and is my store just being idiotic or am I misinterpreting something?

Afterwards I asked if I could just have two preorders then and was told that it's not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back