Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded in at my store w/o receipt.

16 games ( all 2-3 years old except for LA Noire, and Red Dead )
$99
+ 40% = $138.60- $5 = $133.60
Ipod Nano Touch 8GB = $77
Total of = $210.60

Flipped it Amazon GCs with $10.60 left over. ( Amazon money went to my HTPC anyway. )

Plus the Gaming Supervisor who helped me out is going to get help me out, and try to get me job there :D :D

Should I post my trade values?

[quote name='xskaxninjax']At my store today I was told that in order to get the extra 40% bonus, the preorder and trade-ins have to be all in the same transaction. The guy at the kiosk wasn't sure and had to call over a manager. I believe I've read here that people have been getting the extra 40% multiple times from the same preorder. Is this true and is my store just being idiotic or am I misinterpreting something?

Afterwards I asked if I could just have two preorders then and was told that it's not possible.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even pre-order and they gave me the 40%.
Then they had me pre-order.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']At my store today I was told that in order to get the extra 40% bonus, the preorder and trade-ins have to be all in the same transaction. The guy at the kiosk wasn't sure and had to call over a manager. I believe I've read here that people have been getting the extra 40% multiple times from the same preorder. Is this true and is my store just being idiotic or am I misinterpreting something?

Afterwards I asked if I could just have two preorders then and was told that it's not possible.[/QUOTE]

I think you should try again. I got 40% without having to preorder.
I went to best buy today and the guy helping me was totally cool. The system was slow so he went over to a touchscreen kiosk and printed the NCAA pre-order ticket. Went back to the cashier, gave me 40% and I didnt have to preorder anything. He told me that what ever I decide to do it wouldnt matter because money was in the gc already. I flipped the card for the Amazon Kindle $50 gc and walked out the door.

[quote name='GbJGonzo']I think you should try again. I got 40% without having to preorder.
I went to best buy today and the guy helping me was totally cool. The system was slow so he went over to a touchscreen kiosk and printed the NCAA pre-order ticket. Went back to the cashier, gave me 40% and I didnt have to preorder anything. He told me that what ever I decide to do it wouldnt matter because money was in the gc already. I flipped the card for the Amazon Kindle $50 gc and walked out the door.[/QUOTE]

I went to 2 Best Buys today and flipped some games. The first one I went to was cool with me showing my pre-order receipt from earlier in the day (I pre-ordered 5 games for the $100 GC). The second one I went to, made me pre-order NCAA 12 again. I simply pre-ordered NCAA 12 again, traded in my games, then went to customer service to get a refund of my 2nd pre-order of NCAA 12.

Sorry, I meant to reply to you but replied to the guy who replied to you earlier. Anyway, there shouldn't be anything to prevent you from pre-ordering a second time. I was able to today, because the 2nd store I went to made me pre-order it again. I just simply, after doing my trade-ins, went to customer service and got a refund on my 2nd pre-order.

Hey guys dumb question here. How does the deal run to 7/16 if the game comes out on 7/12? Seems odd to preorder a game that's already been released.

[quote name='quailman']Hey guys dumb question here. How does the deal run to 7/16 if the game comes out on 7/12? Seems odd to preorder a game that's already been released.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned it earlier and it doesnt say anything on the site, but I heard the employees telling me and another customer that you could preorder MW3 and get the 40%.

[quote name='Abeja']I mentioned it earlier and it doesnt say anything on the site, but I heard the employees telling me and another customer that you could preorder MW3 and get the 40%.[/QUOTE]

Wow okay. Thanks for answering -- again. I had a buddy of mine complaining that I was gonna trade in LA Noire Monday night without letting him beat it yet.

That's not true at all. The trade-in transaction and pre-order transaction are completely separate. Sales and trade-ins are on two different software systems. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do about idiotic managers imposing their own fictional restrictions on promos such as this. The best thing to do is just call up 1-888-BEST-BUY and complain to corporate and then go back to the manager.

I traded in on three separate occasions so far. The first time, I had to preorder NCAA 12 immediately after the trade-in was complete. The second and third times, I just showed them my trade-in receipt and they applied the 40% promo. Keep in mind there is an option for the promo right in front of them on the screen when you're trading in.

Also, I did 2 preorders of Gears of War 3. The first one thinking I would get the 5 off the magazine sub then the other to get the Triple Pack for 9.99. Guess the promo for 5 off the mag ended.

I didn't even have to put down a deposit on a pre-order. I got the printout from the big touch screen that tells you to pay at the register. Then, I walked up to customer service with my printout and my games. Did the normal trade, got my 40%, didn't put down a deposit. That saves me the trouble of canceling I guess, and I guess the computer has an option to apply the 40% promo with a simple click.

Also, the computer seems to now store your info now. The person taking care of my trade-in was excited that after punching in my phone number that my information came up.

[quote name='sfabo']Can you really get ANYTHING on amazon with the kindle gift cards?
Or is it specifically anything sold BY amazon?[/QUOTE]

Thread search feature.
Use it
&& Yes.

Is anyone aware of any good even flips for GS credit to Best Buy? I'm looking through gs.com right now, but not seeing anything immediately.

[quote name='jer7583']Is anyone aware of any good even flips for GS credit to Best Buy? I'm looking through gs.com right now, but not seeing anything immediately.[/QUOTE]

FEAR 3 is what I used. I got it at GS for roughly 34.99 (this includes the 10% off from PUR, but my sales tax is just under 10%, so that is negated). It trades back into Best Buy for 35, after the 40% bonus. I believe someone earlier in this thread had pointed out this flip.

Ok so here is my tale of frustration from my attempted trade in at Best Buy (not my home store) earlier today.

I mentioned as I handed the girl my trades that I had done the NCAA preorder and wanted the promo bonus of 40%. The girl (who was already lost) called the manager (on the phone) before scanning my games or beginning the trade in process. The Manager claimed that I couldn't get the bonus because it was only on "Select games" according to the website. The girl reiterated this to me and then told me that my games weren't the "select games". Reminder: The girl had not scanned my games at all or typed them in.

Being an educated and calm guy, I ask her to produce the list of select games. She could not. I asked her if she or the manager knew which games were on the list or if they had ever seen the list. Obviously they had not. I then questioned how they could be certain that my games were not on the list if they had never seen or read it. The told me "it didn't matter." ....Now I'm upset.

I tell the girl to tell the manager that I will be calling corporate to relay the events of this non-transaction and will be referring to him by name. She calls him on the phone again, but he does not cave.

I asked her to scan the games and begin the trade in process to see if it will give her the option to give me the 40%. She refused to even do this.

The above are only the highlights of this nonsensical encounter.

lol best buy really can be the worst at these things sometimes. I'm hoping i have better luck today.

[quote name='mkivsuptt']FEAR 3 is what I used. I got it at GS for roughly 34.99 (this includes the 10% off from PUR, but my sales tax is just under 10%, so that is negated). It trades back into Best Buy for 35, after the 40% bonus. I believe someone earlier in this thread had pointed out this flip.[/QUOTE]

Thanks that sounds good. I bought a copy of child of eden off the website for $30 and will trade my copy in for that much today. Hopefully.

[quote name='bgame2']Ok so here is my tale of frustration from my attempted trade in at Best Buy (not my home store) earlier today.

I mentioned as I handed the girl my trades that I had done the NCAA preorder and wanted the promo bonus of 40%. The girl (who was already lost) called the manager (on the phone) before scanning my games or beginning the trade in process. The Manager claimed that I couldn't get the bonus because it was only on "Select games" according to the website. The girl reiterated this to me and then told me that my games weren't the "select games". Reminder: The girl had not scanned my games at all or typed them in.

Being an educated and calm guy, I ask her to produce the list of select games. She could not. I asked her if she or the manager knew which games were on the list or if they had ever seen the list. Obviously they had not. I then questioned how they could be certain that my games were not on the list if they had never seen or read it. The told me "it didn't matter." ....Now I'm upset.

I tell the girl to tell the manager that I will be calling corporate to relay the events of this non-transaction and will be referring to him by name. She calls him on the phone again, but he does not cave.

I asked her to scan the games and begin the trade in process to see if it will give her the option to give me the 40%. She refused to even do this.

The above are only the highlights of this nonsensical encounter.[/QUOTE]

That really sucks. I think I'm going to try and trade in a bunch of games today... well, probably about 8 to 10 games. But I'm almost afraid to because I don't think Best Buy isn't very good at this trade in thing yet. All of their employees seem clueless about it. Last time I tried to trade stuff in, big name titles wouldn't scan into their system for some reason. Stuff like Red Dead Redemption and Mario Galaxy. It's like it wasn't in their computers. It's just crazy but I guess I'll see if I can get this done without issues. I'd really like to get this credit for the B2G1 sale.

[quote name='Japakneez']Thats dumb! Post that on Bestbuy forums along with the store number and location.[/QUOTE]

The Best Buy forums on their website? I already called and initiated a complaint. I explained that my issue was more with the manager. Clearly the girl was just following directives of her manager. While she did it in an uninformed way, I understand why she did it. The manager, who never even bothered to come out to speak to me, was the main problem.

Again, I'm a calm guy, so I explained to the people I spoke with that to some degree, the trade in system is unfamiliar to many employees because it is fairly new. That said, you can't start making things up such as claiming that certain games are not on a list of select games when you admittedly have never seen this list. Now that's just plain stupid.

I'm glad I browsed this thread and went to Best Buy to trade things in. Not only did I make out good credit wise but the entire staff was VERY friendly/helpful from the door to the game section which isn't the norm in my area and I've had problems in the past with this same store but now there seems to be new staff. They all seemed happy to be at work, it was creepy lol.
If the store wasn't out of my way I would take advantage of the 5 game preorder offer and go there more often for my gadget thingymawhos.

Went into my local Best Buy to trade in a bunch of my games I've finished/no longer playing. The girl who helped me was really nice and was commenting on how my games were all in awesome shape.

She informed me that I could do the 40% bonus on MW3 instead of NCAA 12 which I gladly took. She couldn't find FEAR 3 in the system so she had to go ask someone for help and I went and printed off my pre-order for MW3. She gave me my gift card and I was going to head to check out. I must have dropped my pre-order slip when I was looking around the store. When I checked out with Fallout New Vegas I shrugged when I couldn't find my pre-order slip.

So really you don't have to pre-order anything to get the 40% bonus which is fine by me.

[quote name='Dwarfman']So really you don't have to pre-order anything to get the 40% bonus which is fine by me.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too. The pre-order and the trade-ins are 2 separate processes. The employee is supposed to make you do the pre-order first, then do the trade-in. But doesn't matter either way. If you did do the pre-order for NCAA 12 and don't plan on buying the game, just cancel your pre-order at any time and get your $5 credit back.

[quote name='bh47']I noticed that too. The pre-order and the trade-ins are 2 separate processes. The employee is supposed to make you do the pre-order first, then do the trade-in. But doesn't matter either way. If you did do the pre-order for NCAA 12 and don't plan on buying the game, just cancel your pre-order at any time and get your $5 credit back.[/QUOTE]

The girl who helped me out said that something prompted like "Does the customer want to preorder NCAA 12?" Or something similar to it. The guy who helped her finding Fear 3 in the system said he'd give me the 40% if I did MW3 instead but it seems like its more of a tool for BB employees to get you to preorder VS a requirement for the 40% bonus. Although its probably YMMV with getting 40% without at least mentioning preordering NCAA 12 or MW3.

I've been taking advantage of this deal. I just go in there with my NCAA 12 preorder receipt and tell them about the 40% bonus. Get it everytime. I think I got over $100 in gift cards using this promotion in the past week.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']I've been taking advantage of this deal. I just go in there with my NCAA 12 preorder receipt and tell them about the 40% bonus. Get it everytime. I think I got over $100 in gift cards using this promotion in the past week.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I've been doing too. And then I ran into the two geniuses earlier today.

What's interesting to me about the situation was that the manager never even considered how much the bonus might have equated to on my trade ins. They never even scanned them so they had no frame of reference for how much we were even arguing over. I mean, what if my trade ins had only totaled $10, would this manager have thought it would've been worth the headache of having someone call corporate over $4? Especially considering that they admittedly could not find this magical list of "Select games". From what most people are posting, and the majority of my experiences, it seems like today's debacle was the exception, not the rule. Hopefully, the process becomes more and more painless as time passes.

[quote name='USB Cable']I'm glad I browsed this thread and went to Best Buy to trade things in. Not only did I make out good credit wise but the entire staff was VERY friendly/helpful from the door to the game section which isn't the norm in my area and I've had problems in the past with this same store but now there seems to be new staff. They all seemed happy to be at work, it was creepy lol.
If the store wasn't out of my way I would take advantage of the 5 game preorder offer and go there more often for my gadget thingymawhos.[/QUOTE]

I had the same great experience. The guy helping me was real nice and even asked me if I wanted to do the pre order bonus. Traded in a bunch of crap including somes games that didnt even work (kinda feel bad now) and walked out with about $50 gift card. Cant see myself EVER trading with gamestop again!!

Here is a question for everyone with Best Buy trade in experience......

I am trying to use the BB website's 'trade in estimator' for a bunch of PS2 games...and none of them are being found (either by searching the UPC or by the game title.) If a title isn't found using the online search, is it still eligible for in-store trade-in?

I have A LOT of older low value PS2 games that would be cheaper for me to dump w/ the extra 40% at BB than any other options I may have.

Has anyone reading this had a game NOT found w/ the online value estimator and was successful trading it in at a physical store location....and if so, was it a hassle?

Thanks everyone for reading!

yeah i brought in PS2 Gran Turismo 3 (GH version) and got a $1.40 for it with the bonus along with a bunch of games that werent on the trade estimator. So basically it wont hurt to try and if they took my old ass game, they prob take anything you have!!

Wow, I got an email late this evening saying Dealtree accepted my 2 copies of Two Worlds II. I had almost forgotten I mailed those in since it was so long ago. I mailed them on June 19th and they were delivered on June 24th. So, yeah, it is July 8th now. Now I need to wait to get the gift card but at least they were accepted and there's some record of that. I had to mail them in because when I went into the store to trade them that was the day the trade-in system was all wacky and after spending an hour at 2 stores they couldn't figure out how to get it to work.

[quote name='stuntrogue']So said trade in value droping eveyday:

Fear 3 25 --->20
Halo Reach 19--->17
Wipe out (xbox) 24 --->17[/QUOTE]

I wonder why... :whistle2:k

[quote name='snipermike']50% trade in bonus starts 7/17 without pre-ordering anything[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming 60% with gs power card.... I'm willing to wait for that lol

[quote name='nas6034']Read the thread you're writing in.[/QUOTE]

Oh snap lol I didn't realize it was the bestbuy thread...

[quote name='snipermike']50% trade in bonus starts 7/17 without pre-ordering anything[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. To hold out or not? I'm thinking about getting rid of Killzone 3 and probably Infamous 2 since I think I can pick them up cheaper later. I wonder if the values of KZ3 and Infamous 2 would drop between now and then however. $75, going by the current values, would be mad money.

Yeah I have a feeling they'll drop some prices.

I don't mind going for the 40% as I needed a new cell phone and traded stuff so I wouldn't have to use cash.

Now I have no idea how YMMV this is but I thought I better report it. At the BB I was at today, the $50 Kindle cards were marked as Clearance. There was no discount from the $50 price, but perhaps they are not going to be carried much longer. The $25 cards were right next to them and were not marked as clearance.

omg so many drops. my wife was sick last night so i didnt go out and make $17, but now the tiv dropped so hard im just gonna send it in for the locked in 44 and be out a dollar. doh
you snooze you lose
child of eden down 22-16, argh!

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']Since I already pre-order NCAA 12 do I still the extra 40% or no?[/QUOTE]

yes. just show them your receipt.

There's no code they enter. At the final screen, they just have to click on a radio button that says 40% NCAA.

Tried my nearby store for the first time. It's a long story of trials and tribulation, so go ahead and skip it if you want.

This was one of those stores that requires receipts, so I brought my Helghast Edition receipt from yesterday. I had three workers plus a GeekSquad member work on trading in Killzone 3 and getting the 40% extra for pre-ordering NCAA 11. They were all nice folks, and two of them asked me about Killzone 3 since they also were gamers; a nice change from my usual trade-in store that has no gamer employees.

First they tried the Best Buy Trade-in website, but obviously that doesn't work. Then they figured out they had to find an app on their computers that lets them do trades. Then we found out the card scanner doesn't work so I couldn't get my gift card from that kiosk. I was walked to customer service to do the trade, where they did everything again and got me my gift card. Unfortunately, this time I actually had to buy the pre-order, but no biggie. It's easy enough to cancel. Took me around 40 minutes to complete the trade and price match and buy Infamous 2 Hero Edition. They were kind of blown away that GameStop was dropping the price to $59.99 for Infamous 2. Heh.

Luckily I didn't have to deal with the sucky supervisor that doesn't understand how GameStop sales works. But, they brought over who I guess is a more important manager who was at the gaming kiosk to investigate what went wrong during my trade-in. She did ask her employees if they confirmed that the game was in stock as she was leaving, but they kind of just nodded. I guess looking up GameStop's website was good enough for them, although this time I made sure to bring a print out of all of the nearby stores they could call.

All in all, I don't think I'm a fan of these gamer kiosks either until they give us a trade-in card or link it directly to the Reward Zone card. They should really setup two computers and have one that is purely for trade-ins and maybe even train their employees. I moved aside to let several customers check out while the employees discussed how to sort out my trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back