Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news for those interested or on the fence about the 5 for $100 deal BB has made it possible to get all 5 games for $100 in credit if you max the the deal out. You'll end up paying $200 + tax in BB gc and/or RZ & you'll get the $100 RZ back PLUS any $10 pre-order bonuses or instant giftcards too.
If there's a better deal than $20 per game please let know I'm all ears.
Link:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8669366#post8669366

start stacking up that credit

[quote name='Enuf']Great news for those interested or on the fence about the 5 for $100 deal BB has made it possible to get all 5 games for $100 in credit if you max the the deal out. You'll end up paying $200 + tax in BB gc and/or RZ & you'll get the $100 RZ back PLUS any $10 pre-order bonuses or instant giftcards too.
If there's a better deal than $20 per game please let know I'm all ears.
Link:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8669366#post8669366

start stacking up that credit[/QUOTE]

What do you mean. Are you saying that we can pay off all games with Best Buy GCs. Couldn't we always do that?
It's still technically $40/game.
Don't know where you got $20/game though

[quote name='scarhawk']What do you mean. Are you saying that we can pay off all games with Best Buy GCs. Couldn't we always do that?
It's still technically $40/game.
Don't know where you got $20/game though[/QUOTE]
there was confusion on this but it has been confirmed ok

spend $300 in credit(GC or RZ cert)
pm each game to $40
5 games $40 each for $200 credit
their giving you $100 credit back on the deal
$200 spent minus the $100 you earn =
5 games for $100 credit or $20 per game

[quote name='iRandom']will BB accept the FEAR 3 game I got from them from the TRU buy 2 for $50 promo?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I traded mine in after I beat it a couple weeks ago, why wouldn't they?

[quote name='iRandom']Thanks. I thought so. Also anyone know if the upcoming 50% TIV promo only applies to games or can it be used on a Zune HD?[/QUOTE]

No, just like any other time, it can be used on anything in the store. It is just a regular gift card after all.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']No, just like any other time, it can be used on anything in the store. It is just a regular gift card after all.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure but I think he means if he can get the 50% trade in bonus when trading in a zune hd. If that is the case, I'm not 100% sure. I doubt it, but maybe someone with more knowledge can answer.

[quote name='karatebear']I'm not sure but I think he means if he can get the 50% trade in bonus when trading in a zune hd. If that is the case, I'm not 100% sure. I doubt it, but maybe someone with more knowledge can answer.[/QUOTE]

Exactly this
With the 50% bonus I can get $120 for my Zune HD

BTW do BB accept scratched disc?

Sorry no offense but I don't see Zelda and Uncharted 3 going under $40 within the 30-45 day period due to MAP restrictions by the publishers (especially Nintendo) as those are 2 of the 5 titles I would be interested in. I can see others going down possibly though such as Battlefield and Batman though so that could make it worthwhile.

[quote name='boogie4114']Sorry no offense but I don't see Zelda and Uncharted 3 going under $40 within the 30-45 day period due to MAP restrictions by the publishers (especially Nintendo) as those are 2 of the 5 titles I would be interested in. I can see others going down possibly though such as Battlefield and Batman though so that could make it worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

I think that is possible for UC3 and Zelda but I might just avoid those since I have another 5 I could do (GOW3, Batman, RAGE, BF3, MW3, SR3,Skyrim) I have ME3 paid off at gamestop but I might just move it over to UC3 since it is not till March. Even if you can only get a PM at $50 it is still nice to get all 5 for $250 with $100 back. At this point there are so many great fall/holiday games that I am not sure I will even have time to play these right away but I will get them anyway :)

[quote name='jacknicklson']So I just have to show them a pre-order receipt?[/QUOTE]

I would think it'd have to be dated today+ if they're not morons.

[quote name='jacknicklson']So I just have to show them a pre-order receipt?[/QUOTE]

Gaming manager at my store told me my previous pre-order slips will work.

Just preordered Batman AC and got $25.50 for some really old games.

Guitar Hero III
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Ncaa Football 2008
Xbox Live Arcade 1 Disc Only
Sega Tennis Disc Only
Pure Disc Only
Superman Returns
Dance Dance Revolution
Kameo

$25.50 for those games is great for me. They've been sitting on my shelf forever.

[quote name='foreinter']Can I use the preorder slip multiple times? Like I showed the preorder slip today and then use the slip next day?[/QUOTE]

yes

Traded some crap in, $188 base -> $282. Didn't have to pre-order anything cause the guy knows me.

I do need to figure out what I wanna do with the 5/100 deal though... I left them a K-Mart Gamer printout for future reference when I need a PM :)

Nothing I traded in had its TIV drop, which is surprising. Couldn't grab a copy of DS3 for PS3 w/ @G sub since they were OOS...

Left with $213
Pre-ordered Deus Ex HR, and purchased $50 Amazon GC and XBLA triple Pack (last one too).
Borderlands GOTY was OOS though

[quote name='foreinter']Can I use the preorder slip multiple times? Like I showed the preorder slip today and then use the slip next day?[/QUOTE]

YMMV. My store denied me today. I had to do another preorder.

[quote name='as50193']Is the TiV estimator still accurate, or did they tank the values? Is LA Noire still $25 base?[/QUOTE]

I just traded in L.A. Noire. Got $37.50 for it after the bonus. Whatever the Estimator says is the current value. It is always accurate for the day of.

[quote name='bh47']I just traded in L.A. Noire. Got $37.50 for it after the bonus. Whatever the Estimator says is the current value. It is always accurate for the day of.[/QUOTE]
Cool, thanks

Does anyone think these values drop during the week?

[quote name='as50193']Cool, thanks

Does anyone think these values drop during the week?[/QUOTE]

Values can change day-to-day.

[quote name='as50193']Cool, thanks

Does anyone think these values drop during the week?[/QUOTE]

This

Is there a chance the TIV for LA Noire and Infamous 2 will drop by tomorrow?

i really hope tivs stay still for tomorrow. i did alot of deals and waiting for amazon to send them to me! Hopefully they stay strong til wednesday!
traded in red faction armageddon and infamous 2 got 30/37.50, woot.
hoping i dont have to preorder more, but i will anyway if i need to.
i shouldnt have cancelled my ncaa 11 preorder. i should have just got it and traded it in 27+50% 40, +20rz at the end. it would just break even but then i would only need to preorder/buy 4 more games at msrp. oh wellz

Just did the preorder 5 games getting $100 gift card and trade in my black ops, mortal Kombat and other crappy games for $130. Good deals.

[quote name='boogie4114']Sorry no offense but I don't see Zelda and Uncharted 3 going under $40 within the 30-45 day period due to MAP restrictions by the publishers (especially Nintendo) as those are 2 of the 5 titles I would be interested in. I can see others going down possibly though such as Battlefield and Batman though so that could make it worthwhile.[/QUOTE]UC3 will definitely drop, it comes out Nov 1 which means it's gonna be on sale during BF(won't matter b/c you can't pm that weekend though) there's too many games coming out for most titles to remain at full retail & even though UC sells @ $50 or $40 the boost is insane. Zelda maybe but Nintendo is stubborn SMG1 still retail's for $50 BUT during the Mid Nov-mid Jan stretch one store will have a % off "all Wii, PS3 or X360" games which will bypass the title specific sale.
The only game that will hold will be MW3 & that's unless BF3 really does well. But even still I got black ops pm'd too.

[quote name='iRandom']Where is this $40/$50 PM?[/QUOTE]games won't hold their $60 prices so it should be even easier to get a $40 pm during this time of year b/c of the shear # of titles dropping AC never holds value, all the shooters will play off each other & the action games will need to be sales
to compete with the shooters.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Enuf']UC3 will definited drop it come out Nov 1 which means it's gonna be on sale during BF(won't matter b/c you can't pm that weekend though) there's too many games coming out for most titles to remain at full retail & even though UC sells @ $50 or $40 the boost is insane. [/quote]
UC3 - I guarantee will have almost zero possibility of price match. The game is the highest profile PS3 title this fall. It will sell like hotcakes without sales.

Zelda maybe but Nintendo is stubborn SMG1 still retails for $50 BUT during the Mid Nov-mid Jan stretched one store will have a % off "all Wii, PS3 or X360" games which will bypass the title specific sale.
for the guy this reponse is aimed at: If you do Zelda currently as part of the $5/100 deal, note you already get $20 (from the 5/100) + $10 (500 preorder bonus) for a total of $30 credit. Even with zero PM, you won't find a better deal from any other retailer.

Ok makes a little more sense now even though I dont see a % off deal happening with Zelda. I see more of a buy Zelda at MSRP get y game 1/2 off or something like that. I do see Uncharted going on sale maybe online only for $44.99 since they did it with Socom and Motorstorm. The reason I brought this up is because I have U3 paid off in full at GS but I was thinking of switching it so I can get the Assassin's Creed Signature Edition at GS and U3 at BB.

Do you think I should do the switch or keep it as I have it now.

Crap. I posted in the wrong thread about my trade-in problem.

Short and sweet version: My local Best Buy manager at first didn't want to take Infamous 2 because of the "not for resale." Then she claimed the game wasn't in the database. I can find the game on the website though. I called customer service from the store and after about 30 minutes of phone tag, the customer rep tells me that there's nothing he could do about it. WTF?! I left frustrated.

Can someone double check to see if Infamous 2 is still accepted as a trade-in at your store? I don't know WTF is going on. I complained on the Best Buy message board, so hopefully someone competent can help. Pretty ridiculous.

[quote name='imacgod']Crap. I posted in the wrong thread about my trade-in problem.

Short and sweet version: My local Best Buy manager at first didn't want to take Infamous 2 because of the "not for resale." Then she claimed the game wasn't in the database. I can find the game on the website though. I called customer service from the store and after about 30 minutes of phone tag, the customer rep tells me that there's nothing he could do about it. WTF?! I left frustrated.

Can someone double check to see if Infamous 2 is still accepted as a trade-in at your store? I don't know WTF is going on. I complained on the Best Buy message board, so hopefully someone competent can help. Pretty ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
You got incompetent dicks helping you. If it on the online estimator, it accepted in B&M. Hell, they took my Marvel Ultimate instore and it didn't showed online. "not for resale." bother you? take it to BB that accept discs only, call to find out which one 1st.

[quote name='Taboner']Can I cancel the pre-order after I get my credit? I'll be moving soon so I won't be able to pick it up at my current store.[/QUOTE]

I did, they didnt have an issue with it at all.

[quote name='lordopus99']UC3 - I guarantee will have almost zero possibility of price match. The game is the highest profile PS3 title this fall. It will sell like hotcakes without sales.
for the guy this reponse is aimed at: If you do Zelda currently as part of the $5/100 deal, note you already get $20 (from the 5/100) + $10 (500 preorder bonus) for a total of $30 credit. Even with zero PM, you won't find a better deal from any other retailer.[/QUOTE]target does the $27/$37/$47 game deal just like they have going now not a "sure thing" but lookin at the release dates & past history sales will happen. Zelda may not even release in 2011 so there's a chance this may be excluded or extended.

[quote name='boogie4114']Ok makes a little more sense now even though I dont see a % off deal happening with Zelda. I see more of a buy Zelda at MSRP get y game 1/2 off or something like that. I do see Uncharted going on sale maybe online only for $44.99 since they did it with Socom and Motorstorm. The reason I brought this up is because I have U3 paid off in full at GS but I was thinking of switching it so I can get the Assassin's Creed Signature Edition at GS and U3 at BB.

Do you think I should do the switch or keep it as I have it now.[/QUOTE]play each reserve game by game it's to many stores/variables to commit this early for all 5 games.

[quote name='tepro']You got incompetent dicks helping you. If it on the online estimator, it accepted in B&M. Hell, they took my Marvel Ultimate instore and it didn't showed online. "not for resale." bother you? take it to BB that accept discs only, call to find out which one 1st.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid to go back without cases because I'll probably have to deal with the same manager again. None of my other nearby stores do trades without receipts. Good stuff, eh?

I posted on the Best Buy message board a couple of hours ago. Still no reply. It seems like the CSR's on the website reply fast, so I'm a bit surprised I'm not getting any service right now. All I'm getting are "Best Buy employees" that aren't the official customer service people telling me what "not for resale" means.

I'm going to give the store a call later. I'm hoping the gamer kiosk will be up again today. The manager is retarded. I need a real trained employee that is trained to do trade-ins. I hate to say it, but my local Best Buy has finally let me down like the horror stories I read online. :cry:

^ That really sucks. I've had nothing but good experiences with my trade-ins at BB so far, but different managers run things differently. Unfortunately, incompetent managers leads to incompetent staff who are not up-to-snuff with how things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back