Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bh47']^ That really sucks. I've had nothing but good experiences with my trade-ins at BB so far, but different managers run things differently. Unfortunately, incompetent managers leads to incompetent staff who are not up-to-snuff with how things work.[/QUOTE]

The real problem was the customer service rep on the phone was no help either. I was sure at least a higher up would understand how to do trade-ins and be cooperative. His response was basically, "Well, whatever the manager says goes." I asked him if I could talk to someone else or Deal Tree, but he said no. I hung up on him after that just out of frustration. Best Buy has just been unresponsive lately when it comes to questions and complaints lately, so it's only adding on to my distaste with them.

It's a bit of drag that I'm burning calories over some incompetent people today. :cry:

That does suck. All Austin and surrounding area Best Buys have always been great to me when doing trade ins. The only downside I see now with BB getting big in trades, Im getting alot more bs about preorder this and junk like I'm at gamestop. That's just a tiny gripe.

Looks like bitch manager is gone for the day from my phone call I had with a guy at the store. Let's try this again. Looks like I have to find the gamer manager for back up just in case, but the guy on the phone mentioned he saw her take trade ins like that before.

Oddly this store still requires cases when I asked about them. Best Buy apparently needs to fix the kinks in my area majorly.

[quote name='kingsnuff']I did, they didnt have an issue with it at all.[/QUOTE]

:) Thanks man. Well I just beat LA Noire. Time to go trade it in!

[quote name='Velo214']i did alot of deals and waiting for amazon to send them to me! [/QUOTE]
I'm curious, what did you get from Amazon ,Kinect B1G1 and what else?, if you don't mind sharing.

Had to wrangle with yet another manager and a supervisor that I did see earlier today. The manager tried to explain to me these games with "not for resale" can't be resold. I tried telling him Deal Tree takes them, but he said "this store doesn't take orders from Deal Tree." :whistle2:s The supervisor ran over yelling "we can't take games without cases," ran to a computer, then came back and said, "I think he thinks we can take the trade-in because they said we don't need to take cases anymore." :roll: Using logic, I explained to him if I brought these games without cases, he would take them in regardless. That stopped him in his tracks for a moment. He kept slapping my games together nervously for a few moments, then finally said, "give it to him."

Yet again this store did not charge me on my pre-order. Saves me a trip for canceling at least :) Don't want to go back to that store for a while. Best Buy, train your fucking employees and inform your managers. I helped get rid of a manager at this store before. Guess I have to do it again.

Went into my local Best Buy to pick up the XBLA 3 Pack and noticed they are finally taking trade ins in store! Bad news is they require them to have been bought from Best Buy and have the receipt for them :cry:. This is in Central Florida.

So, say I take advantage of the 50% trade-in with a pre-order...what happens if the game I preorder now ends up getting a bonus later on? Will I miss out on it?

For example, say I pre-order Uncharted 3 and then next month they say we're giving away a $20 gift card with that pre-order, can I take my receipt up there and still get it? I'm worried this will happen by pre-ordering far in advance.

[quote name='AdmrlBalls']So, say I take advantage of the 50% trade-in with a pre-order...what happens if the game I preorder now ends up getting a bonus later on? Will I miss out on it?

For example, say I pre-order Uncharted 3 and then next month they say we're giving away a $20 gift card with that pre-order, can I take my receipt up there and still get it? I'm worried this will happen by pre-ordering far in advance.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 3 doesn't come out till November and I doubt they will announce gc promos that far ahead of the release date. But as it was already said if you pick it up during release week and there is a gc attached to it you will get it upon picking up the game.

i traded in my infamous 2 disk only for 37.50. hope it works out for ya.

tepro, they had b2g1 sale, and it worked with yakuza 4 and some other good flips/deals to make it more b1g1 or even b0g1f, my personal favorite ;).
i.e. my orders this week included yakuza 4, red dead redemption, dead space 2, oblivion 5th anniversary and a few others. there is a sweet flip 16new ->27 tiv, but i just ordered 6 of those, give me a few days to trade it in and ill post it here, lol ;)

[quote name='Enuf']target does the $27/$37/$47 game deal just like they have going now not a "sure thing" but lookin at the release dates & past history sales will happen. Zelda may not even release in 2011 so there's a chance this may be excluded or extended.

play each reserve game by game it's to many stores/variables to commit this early for all 5 games.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm doing. I wanna see how the offers will look the week before release dates. I know I definitely want U3 its just that I did bought Dragon Age 2/Shift 2 for $15 each and it paid off 1 of the E3 titles so I chose that title even though I know I could change the title it's just that I know I'm definitely getting that 1 way or another from any store.

My friend just got back and they told him he was no longer allowed to trade in to BB anymore. They gave him a phone number to call and all they said was that he traded in several copies of Star Wars violating their 3 per year law. Sucks for him.

Just traded in the following for $210 ($205 after the pre-order which I will be returning):

LA Noire
$37.50
FIFA 11 $28.50
Crysis 2 $33.00
Marvel vs Capcom 3 $25.50 ($30 new....lol they're actually losing money on this one assuming they sell it for $25)
Red Dead Redemption $25.50
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood $18
2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa $9
Overlord II $6

Awesome deal in the end. I'd be hard pressed to sell these for the same price anywhere else. I may have been able to get more for FIFA 11, but the online pass was already used anyway.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Why are people posting what they got for games? The Best Buy Trade-In estimator already tells you the value for game trades.[/QUOTE]

Why does it bother you so much? :roll: Why do people post what they get at a sale in a sale thread? Because they want to share their haul. In this case, I have a pretty small haul considering my gift card is pretty light. :lol:

Just got back from my BB and was happy with the experience. They finally opened a Trade-in counter right in the video game section, which is much nicer than having to stand in the regular Return/Exchange line with people trying to return used vacuums or broken printers.

Got $42 for 3 old ass games with the pre-order deal plus picked up a subscription to the @Gamer mag while I was there. Might go back and unload a bunch more. :)

Got 135 for trading in a couple of PS3 games and a like 10 old PS2 games which netted me 3 bucks each.

Got a 20 dollar PSN card for swarm and limbo, the rest of the 110 will go to paying off battlefield 3 and either batman akrham city or skyrim

[quote name='handsome_bitch']My friend just got back and they told him he was no longer allowed to trade in to BB anymore. They gave him a phone number to call and all they said was that he traded in several copies of Star Wars violating their 3 per year law. Sucks for him.[/QUOTE]

Ouch. I figured they'd crack down on this as their trade in program gets going. I think I lost track of my online and in-store trade-in's. So I hope I don't get a similar notice (never traded in more than 2 copies of a game at once) since I tried to be mindful of the 3 limit. I think I need to start busting out spreadsheets for trade-in's within 1 year. I'm gonna trade in Kinect Sports and Dance Central today. I'll find out soon enough.

[quote name='Donut2922']Ouch. I figured they'd crack down on this as their trade in program gets going. I think I lost track of my online and in-store trade-in's. So I hope I don't get a similar notice (never traded in more than 2 copies of a game at once) since I tried to be mindful of the 3 limit. I think I need to start busting out spreadsheets for trade-in's within 1 year. I'm gonna trade in Kinect Sports and Dance Central today. I'll find out soon enough.[/QUOTE]
ah shit...
I think i might be next for this >.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Why are people posting what they got for games? The Best Buy Trade-In estimator already tells you the value for game trades.[/QUOTE]

Gives a heads up to others, in case they have the same game(s).

Like, "Oh s*&%, L.A. Noire is still fetching $$$ ? I gotta trade mine in quick!"

Hey, what happens if I don't pick up a pre-order? I realized I won't be around for when Madden comes out (I think it's later than normal this year isn't it?). I (obviously) used the credit from the gift card. Does it go back to that? Or does my $5 vanish? If I get the money back some how, I won't go cancel it. But if it does, then I guess I will have to go cancel it.

So maybe it has been brought up, but what stops you from just canceling the pre-order the next day and getting the 50% bonus anyway? I'm not against pre-ordering something, I just don't know if there is anything I really care to pre-order.

[quote name='handsome_bitch']My friend just got back and they told him he was no longer allowed to trade in to BB anymore. They gave him a phone number to call and all they said was that he traded in several copies of Star Wars violating their 3 per year law. Sucks for him.[/QUOTE]

That seems like a lot of BS, since when you call the number about problems you are having in store, they tell you that the stores can do whatever they want with any trades. So, if a store wants to let you trade in more than 3, then they should be able to do that. That's been my position at least: Either make it that it is a universal "law" of BB trading and then teach all of the employees to actually follow it, or let the stores do whatever they want, but don't let the stores do whatever they want "sometimes."

Does your friend remember how recently the star wars thing was? Like was this from months ago or from the more recent BBV deal?

[quote name='DerClaw']That seems like a lot of BS, since when you call the number about problems you are having in store, they tell you that the stores can do whatever they want with any trades. So, if a store wants to let you trade in more than 3, then they should be able to do that. That's been my position at least: Either make it that it is a universal "law" of BB trading and then teach all of the employees to actually follow it, or let the stores do whatever they want, but don't let the stores do whatever they want "sometimes."

Does your friend remember how recently the star wars thing was? Like was this from months ago or from the more recent BBV deal?[/QUOTE]

weren't you the guy who traded in 20 copies of FNV?

Feeling a little worried?

[quote name='BudzMcGee']So maybe it has been brought up, but what stops you from just canceling the pre-order the next day and getting the 50% bonus anyway? I'm not against pre-ordering something, I just don't know if there is anything I really care to pre-order.[/QUOTE]

You can cancel a preorder and get your $5 back. It won't affect anything.

[quote name='ijustw1n']You can cancel a preorder and get your $5 back. It won't affect anything.[/QUOTE]

Is it as easy as just going up to the customer service customer and saying you changed your mind?

Has anyone tried to trade in more than 3? Why would it allow you to trade up to 10?

Edit: Online that is. I don't generally waste time walking into a store.

Those that traded in more than 3 did it at different stores. When the data got compiled, they must've weeded out the golden goose killers and banned them.

I like it

Hey do any of you guys know if I will be able to trade in my Microsoft Update copy of Halo Reach now that anyone could use it, even though the disk art is different it says that it is Halo Reach. Or if not anyone know where I could print off a Halo Reach disk design for it.

[quote name='xBabax']Hey do any of you guys know if I will be able to trade in my Microsoft Update copy of Halo Reach now that anyone could use it, even though the disk art is different it says that it is Halo Reach. Or if not anyone know where I could print off a Halo Reach disk design for it.[/QUOTE]

I would guess the answer to that is no. Even if you printed a high quality version of the cover it is still ultimately and clearly not the normal retail disc. Technically they aren't even supposed to take the copy of Reach that comes with the Legendary edition I highly doubt they'll take the beta disc.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Those that traded in more than 3 did it at different stores. When the data got compiled, they must've weeded out the golden goose killers and banned them.

I like it[/QUOTE]

Right, but the site will let you put "10" and finalize a check out.

Doesnt matter when the first thing you see when looking up trade-in values is

Limit: We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Right, but the site will let you put "10" and finalize a check out.[/QUOTE]

It's just bad programming. But the warning clearly is there that you can only trade 3.

This is why I'm glad I never did OVER three copies of any games to BB.:booty: But I did 'cash out' the credit I had there fairly quick by buying Amazon gc's and I'm sure they're working on a method to stop that soon too probably.

[quote name='xBabax']Hey do any of you guys know if I will be able to trade in my Microsoft Update copy of Halo Reach now that anyone could use it, even though the disk art is different it says that it is Halo Reach. Or if not anyone know where I could print off a Halo Reach disk design for it.[/QUOTE]

Take it in disc only. They will 95% give you the same exact value.

So how does the 50% bonus work? Do I need to preorder a game and then show the receipt to the guy doing my trade in or do it all in the same transaction?

[quote name='navalg1337']So how does the 50% bonus work? Do I need to preorder a game and then show the receipt to the guy doing my trade in or do it all in the same transaction?[/QUOTE]

Either one works.

Haven fun trying to explain that's a legitimate copy of Halo Reach. If they somehow take it, then some customer will complain about how this doesn't seem like a legitimate copy. Don't bother disc only or even with a copy of the cover. They're going to look at the disc and ask why it says "Microsoft Confidential - Not for Resale." This is just a bad idea.

[quote name='Taboner']Well they took a region free game of mine that had Japanese written all over the art and disc. It even scanned.[/QUOTE]

It just depends on if they're paying attention.

[quote name='confoosious']It just depends on if they're paying attention.[/QUOTE]

True. I'm just surprised it scanned into the system. I brought it in to see if they would take it and it traded in for $9, which isn't bad.

When they first started this trade in program I tried to trade in 5 copies of the Sims 3, 3 360 and 2 PS3. The website clearly states only 3 copies of a game with the same title and PLATFORM.
I tried to trade all 5 in and the little spitfuck working there told me he couldn't because "the computer wouldn't let him".

I told him they were 2 different formats and I'm allowed to trade up to 3 per format in and he gave me the same bullshit.

I went to a different store and the girl did a no receipt return for me.

I want to unload my Dead Space 2 copy but I may have already traded 3 in I can't remember.

EDIT: and I just remember I have a copy of Killzone 3 and my PS Rewards Infamous 2 coming fuck yeah

Got $220.50 for my trades yesterday. Pre-ordered Batman: AC.

Amounts with 50% promo:

NFS: Hot Pursuit - $27.00
RF: Guerrilla - $7.50
Alan Wake - $12.00
Battlefield: BC2 - $10.50
Red Dead Redemption - $25.50
Gears of War 2 - $4.50
Enslaved - $9.00
Afro Samurai - $6.00
Singularity - $16.50
Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms - $7.50
Champions of Norrath - $4.50
Onimusha 3 - $2.00
Crysis 2 - $33.00
Halo Reach - $25.50
Mass Effect 2 - $9.00
Bioshock 2 - $9.00
COD: MW2 - $10.50

Gift card should cover me for most of my gaming purchases for the rest of the year.

[quote name='LeRoy']Got $220.50 for my trades yesterday. Pre-ordered Batman: AC.

Amounts with 50% promo:

NFS: Hot Pursuit - $27.00
RF: Guerrilla - $7.50
Alan Wake - $12.00
Battlefield: BC2 - $10.50
Red Dead Redemption - $25.50
Gears of War 2 - $4.50
Enslaved - $9.00
Afro Samurai - $6.00
Singularity - $16.50
Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms - $7.50
Champions of Norrath - $4.50
Onimusha 3 - $2.00
Crysis 2 - $33.00
Halo Reach - $25.50
Mass Effect 2 - $9.00
Bioshock 2 - $9.00
COD: MW2 - $10.50

Gift card should cover me for most of my gaming purchases for the rest of the year.[/QUOTE]

That's darn good for Singularity, esp if you got it on that Gamefly sale for 7.99

[quote name='imacgod']Haven fun trying to explain that's a legitimate copy of Halo Reach. If they somehow take it, then some customer will complain about how this doesn't seem like a legitimate copy. Don't bother disc only or even with a copy of the cover. They're going to look at the disc and ask why it says "Microsoft Confidential - Not for Resale." This is just a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I'd feel a bit odd about the whole thing even if they did take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back