Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LeRoy']Got $220.50 for my trades yesterday. Pre-ordered Batman: AC.

Amounts with 50% promo:

NFS: Hot Pursuit - $27.00
RF: Guerrilla - $7.50
Alan Wake - $12.00
Battlefield: BC2 - $10.50
Red Dead Redemption - $25.50
Gears of War 2 - $4.50
Enslaved - $9.00
Afro Samurai - $6.00
Singularity - $16.50
Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms - $7.50
Champions of Norrath - $4.50
Onimusha 3 - $2.00
Crysis 2 - $33.00
Halo Reach - $25.50
Mass Effect 2 - $9.00
Bioshock 2 - $9.00
COD: MW2 - $10.50

Gift card should cover me for most of my gaming purchases for the rest of the year.[/QUOTE]

your amounts are low. do you mean WITHOUT bonus 50%? also, what system were these for so they can be added to the TIV in the OP.

Just got $124.50 for
iconxbox360.gif
LA Noire- $37.50
iconxbox360.gif
Kinect Sports- $30
iconxbox360.gif
Shift 2: Unleashed- $21
iconxbox360.gif
Mortal Kombat- $36

Preordered Resistance 3 for $5, really simple and took no time at all.

[quote name='LeRoy']Got $220.50 for my trades yesterday. Pre-ordered Batman: AC.

Amounts with 50% promo:

NFS: Hot Pursuit - $27.00
RF: Guerrilla - $7.50
Alan Wake - $12.00
Battlefield: BC2 - $10.50
Red Dead Redemption - $25.50
Gears of War 2 - $4.50
Enslaved - $9.00
Afro Samurai - $6.00
Singularity - $16.50
Champions of Norrath: Return to Arms - $7.50
Champions of Norrath - $4.50
Onimusha 3 - $2.00
Crysis 2 - $33.00
Halo Reach - $25.50
Mass Effect 2 - $9.00
Bioshock 2 - $9.00
COD: MW2 - $10.50

Gift card should cover me for most of my gaming purchases for the rest of the year.[/QUOTE]

It upsets me that BFBC2 was taken for only $10.50 i love that game..:roll:

[quote name='Uso']When you cancel a preorder, does BBY make you swipe your id?[/QUOTE]

I just cancelled a ME3 order and they did not make me swipe.

What I really wanted was ME3CE but they still don't have a preorder code for that yet.

[quote name='Velo214']so when does this +50% bump with preorder bonus end?
i am getting risky arbitage situations here with gohastings lol.[/QUOTE]

July 23rd according to the website.

[quote name='Velo214']so when does this +50% bump with preorder bonus end?
i am getting risky arbitage situations here with gohastings lol.[/QUOTE]

You'll be lucky if you get 'em in time, bro. That being said, I placed a $100 with one of my codes yesterday with the same hope (had a bunch of Hastings credit to burn), but I'm not going to get too worked up if they don't show before Saturday. Hopefully BB will have another promo next week.

In my experience I've had some Hastings stuff shipped with various shipping methods:
Priority Mail, UPS Ground, and Parcel Post

I highly doubt you'll get everything by Saturday unless they'll magically ship everything today with Priority Mail.

Yeah Im contemplating what im gonna keep. Havent played much consoles lately anyways and alot of the games are from BBV B1G1 that I could easily make profit on. I think I have to cause with all the games coming out the next few months then im sure I can find them again for cheap.

Mostly thinking of Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2, and Spiderman SD.

yeah, i made sure not to order anything that didnt already break even with mail in orders. amazon gets to me in 1-2 days, gohastings is usually more like sometime next week, lol.
i couldnt pass on some orders tho, like singularity for $5 preowned on gohastings and flipping for 16.50. if i dont get a bump, at least its locked in for 11 still.
same with black ops 2 for 50. id rather trade them in for 75, but i guess even trade is ok...
wish you could cancel per item/s instead of whole order on gohastings. i got lucky and the day i traded in my 2 blops for 75 i got 2 prestige blops last nite for 36 shipped. :) that's after i used my 40% code @ gohastings for 2 already, doh! it was an odd night last night, i didnt shoot anyone in the head in blops and it's been like a nightly afterwork ritual, lol.

has anyone found any good games to flip? i was going to do some kinect games that you can get for 20 but the values went down from 20 to about 15.

I actually took advantage of this promotion today and it feels good man. Got rid of some old games like Warhawk on PS3 that weren't really worth too much at all. But by the time I was done I traded in 5 - 6 games and got $120. :applause: I just wish Best Buy would let you adjust the amount you put down on your pre-orders rather than just putting $5 bucks. But it's no biggy, I just put my gift card away so I make sure I use it strictly toward those purchases.

If anyone finds games to flip I hope they're posted before their trade in values are adjusted! I'll definitely hop on those if able.

Man I already did the NCAA trade last week and cancelled it since I wanted the 40% bonus. I'm so tempted to turn in a few more games with the 50% bonus but don't want to abuse the system by pre-ordering and cancelling again. Confused.

[quote name='Velo214']There are so many good games to flip. You just gotta know what to look for ;)[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that you always make innuendos about your awesome flipping, but you never share details. Either share or stop rubbing it in people's faces. ;)

Well, got rid of my games

Mass Effect 2
Alan Wake
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
Toy Story

$20 for Spiderman and about $10 each for the rest, so it came out to like $49. Not bad cause they were games from BBV and most I doubled my money.

Bought Dungeon Siege 3 for 24.99 after coupon and a XBLA Triple Pack. Went over to Target with my Dungeon Siege 3 and my disc-only Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and traded both in for $60. MvC3 was hard cause it didnt have a original art and the tradein wasnt bumping it to 30 cause the computer said it didnt qualify. The employee was cool and kinda got frustrated with the thing and just said screw it and checked that I had artwork. Awesome guy.

[quote name='AngelsDontBurn'] I just wish Best Buy would let you adjust the amount you put down on your pre-orders rather than just putting $5 bucks.[/QUOTE]
You can but the issue is when you go to pick up your game if you don't remember how much you put down (I doubt you'll remember you put $21.84 for MW3 in 4 months) the CSR will have to look it up (if they can find your transaction) and then when they do the return/exchange it will most likely need a manager override due to a large discount.

Possible but will take about 3 times as long. If the Gaming re-haul works well for BB you might see changes like this happen. I think Christmas is going to be the true test.

Well I was planning on just keeping my Bulletstorm (4th time buying) and Fable III I got from Gohastings but if they are still giving $48 (after promo) when it is delivered hopefully on Sat. I want to play these games but if I keep buying them for less than $15 and they still keep offering $22-26 I will just build up the credit.

[quote name='cheapfrag']I've noticed that you always make innuendos about your awesome flipping, but you never share details. Either share or stop rubbing it in people's faces. ;)[/QUOTE]

The Art of Flipping is not to be shared with just anyone. You must earn that knowledge and once learned, preserve it. Velo and IATCG are the masters of the flip and they decide with whom to share that valuable knowledge...

Seriously though, it's not completely difficult but it is time consuming. "Anything in life worth having is worth working for." Believe it or not this applies to flipping too. I'm not anywhere near the level these guys are at but you do learn by following threads like this.

Stop being a lackadaisical CAG ;)

Hahahaha. Art of flipping.
Self-glorification much?
Flipping games doesn't require much more than half a brain and by calling it an art you are greatly belittling every other real art out there.

I've never seen someone take flipping games with so much pride. Don't get me wrong, I do flip games but I just use it for a bit of cash to buy a few items I normally wouldn't buy, including games for my personal collection :D

[quote name='cheapfrag']I've noticed that you always make innuendos about your awesome flipping, but you never share details. Either share or stop rubbing it in people's faces. ;)[/QUOTE]

If Velo shared his flips with every Dick & Jerry (lurkers and being leak to SD), how is he going to feed his baby?

I had 2 of my flips posted on SD and the TIV tanked in 1 day. Flipping just need a little homework. Tip from a novice: Anytime there a game' sale, look up its TIV.

[quote name='scarhawk']Hahahaha. Art of flipping.
Self-glorification much?
Flipping games doesn't require much more than half a brain and by calling it an art you are greatly belittling every other real art out there.

I've never seen someone take flipping games with so much pride. Don't get me wrong, I do flip games but I just use it for a bit of cash to buy a few items I normally wouldn't buy, including games for my personal collection :D[/QUOTE]

This from the same guys buying multiple blops prestige? ;)

[quote name='kylerg']why wouldn't they take a halo legendary disc?[/QUOTE]

Its marked not for resale on the case, you just have to trade it in disc only

[quote name='tepro']This from the same guys buying multiple blops prestige? ;)[/QUOTE]

I stated I do flips but I never bragged about it or called it an art. Please re-read my post.

[quote name='scarhawk']Hahahaha. Art of flipping.
Self-glorification much?

I've never seen someone take flipping games with so much pride. Don't get me wrong, I do flip games but I just use it for a bit of cash to buy a few items I normally wouldn't buy, including games for my personal collection :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='scarhawk']I stated I do flips but I never bragged about it or called it an art. Please re-read my post.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you really ran away with that "art of flipping" comment of mine. Don't take everything so serious (although it can be hard to distinguish if a person is serious or not). I did follow my next small paragraph with "Seriously though...", I thought that was a good enough identifier...I guess not :)

Oh, was it the quote? It's true though. If cheapfrag really wants to make some "awesome flips" then he should do his homework and make s#!t happen :lol:

And no, I am not self-glorifying myself, I don't flip much.

The fuck? Underground scene of videogames arbitrage? Spreadsheet based methodology? IRS going after El Hoardos for their gains tax? TLC doing episode of Extreme Couponing show featuring dirt poor CAG members!? WTF!?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='toomuchpie617']the 50% extra trade in offer is only for thru sunday correct?[/QUOTE]
Nope, through Saturday. The deal is good for the duration of the ad which is sun-sat.

i'm glad i have a job so i don't have to use spreadsheets to worry about where i'm making an extra $3 dollars on selling my game.

[quote name='tepro']If Velo shared his flips with every Dick & Jerry (lurkers and being leak to SD), how is he going to feed his baby?[/QUOTE]

I love people always blaming SD for deals falling. CAGs are just as bad if not worst, especially when it comes to Video Game deals.

This discussion is hilarious. You have to be completely stupid to not see what can flip.

[quote name='akir']i'm glad i have a job so i don't have to use spreadsheets to worry about where i'm making an extra $3 dollars on selling my game.[/quote]
My exact stance; though spreadsheets are not needed and you can earn more than $3 per title/flip if done properly. A lot of these guys never factor in Time, Gas, and Effort in their flipping. The overall value isn't as great as people think. People realize this once they get a real job.

[quote name='akir']i'm glad i have a job so i don't have to use spreadsheets to worry about where i'm making an extra $3 dollars on selling my game.[/QUOTE]

A piece of paper works just as well...............which is what I did...........at work................

[quote name='htown01']The Art of Flipping is not to be shared with just anyone. You must earn that knowledge and once learned, preserve it. Velo and IATCG are the masters of the flip and they decide with whom to share that valuable knowledge...

Seriously though, it's not completely difficult but it is time consuming. "Anything in life worth having is worth working for." Believe it or not this applies to flipping too. I'm not anywhere near the level these guys are at but you do learn by following threads like this.

Stop being a lackadaisical CAG ;)[/QUOTE]

This would be some web site if everyone started treads "I got a great deal, but I'm not telling you what it is". Anyway, If he doesn't want to share, I'm OK with that... just stop with the posts that add nothing to the conversation other than to gloat.

[quote name='cheapfrag']this would be some web site if everyone started treads "i got a great deal, but i'm not telling you what it is". Anyway, if he doesn't want to share, i'm ok with that... Just stop with the posts that add nothing to the conversation other than to gloat.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Velo214']yeah, i made sure not to order anything that didnt already break even with mail in orders. amazon gets to me in 1-2 days, gohastings is usually more like sometime next week, lol.
i couldnt pass on some orders tho, like singularity for $5 preowned on gohastings and flipping for 16.50. if i dont get a bump, at least its locked in for 11 still.
same with black ops 2 for 50. id rather trade them in for 75, but i guess even trade is ok...
wish you could cancel per item/s instead of whole order on gohastings. i got lucky and the day i traded in my 2 blops for 75 i got 2 prestige blops last nite for 36 shipped. :) that's after i used my 40% code @ gohastings for 2 already, doh! it was an odd night last night, i didnt shoot anyone in the head in blops and it's been like a nightly afterwork ritual, lol.[/QUOTE]

Hmm? You can call CS and have them cancel certain individual items in an order as long as they haven't shipped yet.

So does anyone know if the 50% bonus affects everything traded in? Thinking about getting rid of my PSPGo (85 value) when I get back from travelling for work tomorrow, and I won't get a chance to call a best buy for a few more hours, stuck in a meeting.

[quote name='Orochi Jin']So does anyone know if the 50% bonus affects everything traded in? Thinking about getting rid of my PSPGo (85 value) when I get back from travelling for work tomorrow, and I won't get a chance to call a best buy for a few more hours, stuck in a meeting.[/QUOTE]

The BB's around town here don't do hardware trade ins, it has to be done through the website.

[quote name='hustletron']The BB's around town here don't do hardware trade ins, it has to be done through the website.[/QUOTE]

Some BB's take DS trade-ins in-store, I've done it. Not sure if that's on a store-by-store basis though. Also don't know about PSPgo being done in-store.

[quote name='lordopus99']I love people always blaming SD for deals falling. CAGs are just as bad if not worst, especially when it comes to Video Game deals.

This discussion is hilarious. You have to be completely stupid to not see what can flip.

My exact stance; though spreadsheets are not needed and you can earn more than $3 per title/flip if done properly. A lot of these guys never factor in Time, Gas, and Effort in their flipping. The overall value isn't as great as people think. People realize this once they get a real job.[/QUOTE]

The blame will be on SD/FW because there are an order of magnitude more people/lurkers there then there are here. Granted this is a VIDEOGAME website, where there its a DEAL website.

Spreadsheets come in handy, especially when calculating 20+ games, and have options on where to trade them to optimize profits. I have run spreadsheets before, and it is really simple. $3-$5 per game is normal ($10-$20 is occasional), but when you trade in 20-30 games, now you are talking about real money. And with time and gas, if you can flip for $30/hour factored in, then it is a REAL job (better than most people's hourly wage slave job). Time is money, so either one is spending his time wisely or sitting on his ass bitching about NOT making money by wasting time.

EDIT: I am not attacking you Lordopuss, more so I agree with you that most guys think 'I am a master flipper, I just made $5-$10 flipping xx game today". But there are others on here, Velo for instance, who can turn $50 at GS into $100 at BB, back to $200 at GS, into $500 at Amazon. So yeah, that kind of job is lucrative, and he probably averages $30+ an hour AND he gets free game rentals which he admits he plays to earn trophies. Why would he want to share that kind of information as it would add more competition and lower/eliminate his profits. I just look at it from my POV as a little work to earn free games, and not having to spend cash to support my hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back