Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Taboner']Heads up. I don't advocate flipping, but if you have a PCR near you you can pick up three copies of Dead Rising 2 for $30 part of their promo and trade them in to BB for $19 a pop. About $25 of profit after tax for me.[/QUOTE]

What is PCR?

Went back today and traded in:
iconxbox360.gif
Child of Eden-$27
iconxbox360.gif
Call of Juarez the Cartel-$39
and two copies of
iconxbox360.gif
Black ops for $37.50 each. I got $141.00 total and paid $5 to reserve Battlefield 3

[quote name='krashhole']Does anyone know if you can trade in black ops in the steel case? Just curious because it does not have a UPC bar.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my roommate and I both had the prestige edition so it was just the steelcase and no cover and there was no problem. They just rang it up as the hardened edition.

[quote name='Dump1eSti1tskin'] Call of Juarez the Cartel-$39
[/QUOTE]

That good, huh? I'm interested in getting it at a cheap price point. Was it any fun?

[quote name='krashhole']Does anyone know if you can trade in black ops in the steel case? Just curious because it does not have a UPC bar.[/QUOTE]
I don't even think you need that much to trade it in anymore, as they now do like Gamestop and accept disc only stuff.

Of course, I may still take any games I'm trading in in generic black DVD cases, since I have assloads of those around.;)

I have about 9 games that I'm gonna trade in that gets me about $150 after trade-in so I can buy that Sony 3D Soundbar that I've been wanting for a while. Guess I'll reserve Forza 4 if they make me. Last time I traded, they didn't make me pre-order anything and I still got the 50%. :D

I'm sad that my dust-stacked Wii games don't trade in for crap anymore, like how SSBB only trades in for $11 when for a long time it was $25-30. Guess more people are getting rid of their Wiis like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dinovelvet']That good, huh? I'm interested in getting it at a cheap price point. Was it any fun?[/QUOTE]

I got it for $40ish from Walmart.com so I was only in it for like $5. Worth the $5 that I spent but the only redeeming quality is that it wasn't completely broken. I was able to finish it but it took about 5 hours to complete. The game needed to be polished up and needed a few more months in development. Even the text that pops up reminded me of the computer game text of the early to mid 90s games I used to play.

[quote name='brauma']Do Kindle Cards work for anything on Amazon? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm really not sure. If so, I'm definitely going to go buy some.[/QUOTE]

So I just wanted to confirm that the above works and also can you buy Kindle Gift cards at BB with a BB gift card?

Thanks in advance

[quote name='FQRizzo']So I just wanted to confirm that the above works and also can you buy Kindle Gift cards at BB with a BB gift card?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Yup, I just did it to buy some blu-rays in the anime blu-ray sale and it works perfectly.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']Yup, I just did it to buy some blu-rays in the anime blu-ray sale and it works perfectly.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hawaiiboy']yes and yes[/QUOTE]

Thanks. :)

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']PC Richard's.[/QUOTE]

Considering I've never heard of that store, I'm going to assume that store isn't around where I live :lol:

[quote name='FQRizzo']So I just wanted to confirm that the above works and also can you buy Kindle Gift cards at BB with a BB gift card?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

forgive my noob-ness, but I keep seeing people refer to buying Kindle gift cards and using them. What's the special deal with those??

[quote name='jbz']forgive my noob-ness, but I keep seeing people refer to buying Kindle gift cards and using them. What's the special deal with those??[/QUOTE]

You can use those kindle cards as Gift Cards on amazon to buy anything from amazon that they sell ( not just kindle stuff)

Oh, so there's no special value to them? It's just using best buy credit to get amazon stuff? Got it. Thanks.

[quote name='jbz']Oh, so there's no special value to them? It's just using best buy credit to get amazon stuff? Got it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Correct....i've used all the BB GC that I have gotten from the trade ins to buy the kindle GC's since I shop more on amazon and their pricing is better than BB

[quote name='ithebigc']If we trade in Borderlands GOTY Edition, do we need the voucher for the DLC packs? Would they even know to check for that?[/QUOTE]

that's a good question. i have the 2 disc GOTY edition so i never thought about the versions that are the DLC vouchers. As stated though, the 360 GOTY version is trading in for low right now. Amazon has it higher.

So as far as everyone knows we are going back to just base prices tomorrow? No promo for next? I want to go today but might not make it.

I traded in Blops only, keep the steel cases.
Traded in oblivion 5th anniversary, keep the steel case!
traded in borderlands goty, kept the dlc voucher and used the dlc codes, woot.
traded in alot today, woot
sucks sengoku basara went from 19 to 16, doh!
luckily I traded in 6 already. Amazon sold new for $16
16 flipped to 19+40%=28.50. so flipped 6 for $75 pure profit. yippee
traded 2 more sengoku's today, so that makes like 10 this year and they said nothing, just thanks for the tradeins and where i keep getting these stacks of games :) sengoku was 10 at the beginning of the year, strange it went up to 19, now slippn again.
also flipped a few singularitys from gohastings $5 each, flipped for 16.50 each.
peace out

i was hoping for more promos, especially cuz gohastings 40% sale, but oh wells. good flippn past few weeks

Traded in Yakuza 4 for $25. I felt so bad but I sent some messages to stl cags if they wanted it. I didnt want to get stuck taking a loss on it. Hopefully some cag gets it used, i only opened it today and traded it in. (B2g1f on amazon.com, i wanted it to be b1g1f ;)

Flipped some of the Nail'd from newegg, $7.99 on NE, $11 ($16.50 with bonus) TiV... If anyone needs a code from the back of the manual for the bonus content I have 3. They took the games out of the case themselves and said they didn't need them. I laughed and told them I didn't either (eco cases at that), so I'm gonna take out the art and use the case to replace some beat up ones I have.

Codes are free and can PM them to you.

[quote name='Velo214']I traded in Blops only, keep the steel cases.
traded 2 more sengoku's today, so that makes like 10 this year and they said nothing, just thanks for the tradeins and where i keep getting these stacks of games :) sengoku was 10 at the beginning of the year, strange it went up to 19, now slippn again.
also flipped a few singularitys from gohastings $5 each, flipped for 16.50 each.
peace out

i was hoping for more promos, especially cuz gohastings 40% sale, but oh wells. good flippn past few weeks[/QUOTE]
They didn't need the cases/manuals for my games either, but I still gave them the manuals, just put the games in generic cases I still have from HWV's closing sales.:cool:

I traded in some BLOPS today for $37.50 a pop.:) I pre-ordered :ps3:Catherine for $5 down in order to get the 50% bonus. Mind ya, I wanted the other artwork for Catherine, but they have the closeup of her with Vincent stuck in her chest as the one up on BB.com.:cry:

Now I just have to decide what I wanna do with the RC cars from the Prestige Editions. Unless I can modify them to take rechargeable batteries, then I may just give them to friends to give to their kids for an interesting Christmas present.

It's a pretty neat lil car though, as the remote has a 2" LCD screen on it, so you can likely see what the car is seeing on its built in camera.;)

Any idea on what their next deal is going to be? I just started taking advantage of the whole trade in phenomenon and I just hope it's not over already.

[quote name='brauma']Any idea on what their next deal is going to be? I just started taking advantage of the whole trade in phenomenon and I just hope it's not over already.[/QUOTE]

It will probably be close to dead this upcoming week as BB doesn't have any trade in promos going on and not a B2G1 sale at GS. Newegg has been throwing out some deals though like nail'd for $8 which still has $11 TiV base at BB (but low margin now since 50% bonus is gone). Kinda have to bank on either goHastings having a sale or maybe an off sale (like Sears with deadspace 2). If not then it looks like a slow week for flipping.

So the guy doing my trade in today told me they switched companies for their trade ins (maybe this is already known for those doing it online) and they expect inventories to be much better from here on out. He said the old company just could not do the turn around needed because of all the trades they have received. I can attest to the fact my local BB is much better. I just wish their prices were more in line with the current market. even with this weeks B2G1 sale it will be hard pressed to find great deals. I know eventually they will catch on but that will most likely mean a drop in TIVs also.

[quote name='cancerman1120']So the guy doing my trade in today told me they switched companies for their trade ins (maybe this is already known for those doing it online) and they expect inventories to be much better from here on out. He said the old company just could not do the turn around needed because of all the trades they have received. I can attest to the fact my local BB is much better. I just wish their prices were more in line with the current market. even with this weeks B2G1 sale it will be hard pressed to find great deals. I know eventually they will catch on but that will most likely mean a drop in TIVs also.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm maybe you are right because I don't see the dealtree plastered all over their tradein website anymore. If this is true I hope that this new company isn't as shady as dealtree was.

Rejecting trades because of "excess dust in a battery compartment" was literally one of the reasons posted and backed by pics. Then was told if the item was shipped back it would be a $14.99 S&H charge. So either you accepted their counter offer or cough up $14.99 to get your item back. Dealtree can go die in a proverbial ditch for what they do.

Will they take a game without a case? I want to trade in my copy of MVC3 and preorder the Ultimate version but I dont want to lose my metal CE case.

Someone should really take the time to answer all these questions in one place.

Yeah yeah, I should know better. It seems like its very YMMV so I figured it was worth asking what the latest results have been.

Just got back from my local best buy, the kid told me there wasn't a new trade-in promotion this coming week... would be a bummer if he's right.

[quote name='cancerman1120']So the guy doing my trade in today told me they switched companies for their trade ins (maybe this is already known for those doing it online) and they expect inventories to be much better from here on out. He said the old company just could not do the turn around needed because of all the trades they have received. I can attest to the fact my local BB is much better. I just wish their prices were more in line with the current market. even with this weeks B2G1 sale it will be hard pressed to find great deals. I know eventually they will catch on but that will most likely mean a drop in TIVs also.[/QUOTE]

I was told the same thing. He said they had been using the same company that "does everything else for us" but they just couldn't process the video game inventory fast enough so Best Buy got a different company to handle it.

[quote name='bgame2']I was told the same thing. He said they had been using the same company that "does everything else for us" but they just couldn't process the video game inventory fast enough so Best Buy got a different company to handle it.[/QUOTE]

I noticed this a while ago. Everything was going to Minnesota instead of MD.

I'm really gonna miss the 50% bump.

yeah 50% bump was epic. I guess breaking even is better than nothing. playing games and then making money was good, but a lil too hectic. My grrl and I were rushing so hard last night to get all the co-op trophies we could think of on RDR before trading her copy in ;)

[quote name='Velo214']yeah 50% bump was epic. I guess breaking even is better than nothing. playing games and then making money was good, but a lil too hectic. My grrl and I were rushing so hard last night to get all the co-op trophies we could think of on RDR before trading her copy in ;)[/QUOTE]

It might just mean the base TIVs would go back up to the area where they were before the 30% bump a few weeks ago? -- Maybe the reason they did the bumps in % only for in-store for a while was to make it so people stopped mailing stuff to dealtree while they transitioned to the new people and now that the new people have taken over they will go back to relatively high base values for a bit while they see how the new guys handle mail-in trades?

Dunno. I doubt they'd both leave the TIVS "low" and not have the promo (though maybe they will since they are doing the b2g1 on their used games and realize that with high TIVS they'd just get all their used games back this week?)

[quote name='Velo214']I traded in Blops only, keep the steel cases.
peace out

i was hoping for more promos, especially cuz gohastings 40% sale, but oh wells. good flippn past few weeks[/QUOTE]

nice work man, nice work. Singularity was the best flip out there I could find. Someone bought up all the copies at my Sears after I went back for them :cry:

Was able to turn a decent profit on a bunch of Guitar Hero and DJ Hero games. These games are getting sold off by people like crazy so my local video game store had them all for like $3. BB offering between $4-$8 depending on which version you got. That plus the 50% is a nice little deal.

I did have a few that were marked "not for resale" and the BB guy just said remove the cover art and he manually added the game into the computer for trade in. They prefer the games with UPC codes so it's easier to scan in for trades, but he said they take whatever.

Traded in gta liberty city uncharted 2 medal of honor and god of war collec for 50$$ great cuase i payed like 50 for them love playing games for free :applause:

Like others have said, I was told the inventory from now on would be much improved on used games. Something about the way they're getting the games going forward, etc. Supposedly a shipment coming in Sunday morning to my local Eastern Washington State store (mere hours from now).

The clerk also told me that the 50% would be extended another week. Three possibilities on this: [1] She's wrong, and no Best Buy is extending the 50% promotion, [2] she's correct, but only some Best Buys are extending the promotion YMMV, or [3] all Best Buys are having the 50% promotion extended. I'm actually curious to find out which of the three possibilities holds true.

[quote name='DerClaw']It might just mean the base TIVs would go back up to the area where they were before the 30% bump a few weeks ago? -- Maybe the reason they did the bumps in % only for in-store for a while was to make it so people stopped mailing stuff to dealtree while they transitioned to the new people and now that the new people have taken over they will go back to relatively high base values for a bit while they see how the new guys handle mail-in trades?

Dunno. I doubt they'd both leave the TIVS "low" and not have the promo (though maybe they will since they are doing the b2g1 on their used games and realize that with high TIVS they'd just get all their used games back this week?)[/QUOTE]

Good thinking here...I remember back before they started doing these percentage bonuses, they had the 2/$50 or 2/$30 lists, and a lot of values of those games dropped to around $16-20 to account for bonuses. I think there is a good possibility this could happen, but you do bring up a good point about their own B2G1 that's starting. They might leave the TiV's 'low' since someone will surely find a good flip from within the store. They seem to be getting just a hair more savvy when it comes to their TiV's, at least for stuff that they put on sale (see Borderlands GOTY Xbox price now vs. PS3).

[quote name='Bizzquik']Like others have said, I was told the inventory from now on would be much improved on used games. Something about the way they're getting the games going forward, etc. Supposedly a shipment coming in Sunday morning to my local Eastern Washington State store (mere hours from now).

The clerk also told me that the 50% would be extended another week. Three possibilities on this: [1] She's wrong, and no Best Buy is extending the 50% promotion, [2] she's correct, but only some Best Buys are extending the promotion YMMV, or [3] all Best Buys are having the 50% promotion extended. I'm actually curious to find out which of the three possibilities holds true.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see some more games shipped into my closest stores tomorrow! They have had the same crap for close to 2 months now.

As far as the promotions, I don't think that only certain stores would extend it; if the deal continues, it will be a chain-wide thing. I said this earlier, but I still can't for the life of me find anywhere in this week's ad or on BB.com where it expressly says that the 50% deal ends on the 23rd. I know every ad has the typical text "prices good Directly from the trade-in page: "Limited time only. $5 deposit required". So, it would seem that a limited time could very well include next week (or even longer), if they so decide.

I hope we have something decent, either way, because I've still got a good bit of Hastings credit to move over.

[quote name='Bizzquik']Like others have said, I was told the inventory from now on would be much improved on used games. Something about the way they're getting the games going forward, etc. Supposedly a shipment coming in Sunday morning to my local Eastern Washington State store (mere hours from now).

The clerk also told me that the 50% would be extended another week. Three possibilities on this: [1] She's wrong, and no Best Buy is extending the 50% promotion, [2] she's correct, but only some Best Buys are extending the promotion YMMV, or [3] all Best Buys are having the 50% promotion extended. I'm actually curious to find out which of the three possibilities holds true.[/QUOTE]
One video game specialist told me the same thing....50% is extended....We'll find out tomorrow =)

[quote name='intoxicates']One video game specialist told me the same thing....50% is extended....We'll find out tomorrow =)[/QUOTE]
While doing some trading last night, I was told the same thing about a week extension for the trade bonus by the dept. supervisor. I hope he was right too.

He also mentioned BB wanting to improve their used game stock so that they can offer promos like "make a preorder, get a used game half off" etc. I'm not hugely keen on BB but this is one area they seem to be improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back