Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Punisher']sorry,but i read the BB TIV form.

I want to trade some games in Best Buy online because the stores in my area require receipt and games must be purchased from BB.

I looked on the BB trade in site and notice that they only ask if the game disc is playable or not.

Can i trade in just the game disc without the game case and booklet?
Would i still get full TIV?

I was planning to trade in 2 ds games and 2 xbox 360 games in 1 disc case and send it in.

Did anyone do this and still got full TIV? I dont want to deal with BB BS

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I've done this a few times after bringing in games with Not For Resale printed where the barcode would be (which they rejected immediately). They'll take the bare discs at full value if the employee knows the policy, but it's always better from a big picture perspective to trade in cases / manuals if possible to keep the overall used market at a higher quality for everyone.

[quote name='handsomepete']I've done this a few times after bringing in games with Not For Resale printed where the barcode would be (which they rejected immediately). They'll take the bare discs at full value if the employee knows the policy, but it's always better from a big picture perspective to trade in cases / manuals if possible to keep the overall used market at a higher quality for everyone.[/QUOTE]

but the problem is i dont have it. I wanted to know if i be able to trade in disc only and get full credit if anyone done this before online.

I haven't done it myself, but I've seen plenty of reports where people have sent in disc only, and you are supposed to get full value. You won't get the bonus tiv, but you should get the tiv posted on the trade-in site.

[quote name='godsmack13']I haven't done it myself, but I've seen plenty of reports where people have sent in disc only, and you are supposed to get full value. You won't get the bonus tiv, but you should get the tiv posted on the trade-in site.[/QUOTE]

Thanks godsmack. I would trade in at the store, but they have so many requires like the game had to be a prior purchase from best buy with receipt, etc. Guess they have that pawn shop law thing going. A BB employee told me to avoid fraud.

[quote name='The Punisher']sorry,but i read the BB TIV form.

I want to trade some games in Best Buy online because the stores in my area require receipt and games must be purchased from BB.

I looked on the BB trade in site and notice that they only ask if the game disc is playable or not.

Can i trade in just the game disc without the game case and booklet?
Would i still get full TIV?

I was planning to trade in 2 ds games and 2 xbox 360 games in 1 disc case and send it in.

Did anyone do this and still got full TIV? I dont want to deal with BB BS

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

From what I was told last time I went in... the person informed me that NOTHING but the disc was needed and regardless of what was included they would ship it to BB. When it gets there they would repackage it in a new case/cover art/manual then ship it back for sale. This was in reply to me being a HWV case since I didnt have the original.

[quote name='handsomepete']I've done this a few times after bringing in games with Not For Resale printed where the barcode would be (which they rejected immediately). They'll take the bare discs at full value if the employee knows the policy, but it's always better from a big picture perspective to trade in cases / manuals if possible to keep the overall used market at a higher quality for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I have traded in 'Not for Resale' games no problem. I suppose they just pitched the case, but it wasn't in front of me that's for sure.

Most times I've traded in a "not for resale" game, the employee adamantly denied it, saying they could not take it. As soon as I (in front of them) took the art out that said "not for resale", they accepted it just fine. Many of them are just afraid of making mistakes that could hurt their job, and to many of them, this seems like one of those mistakes. But they have no problem telling you they'll take it as long as the "not for resale" is removed.

Have any of you guys tried trading in disc only and gotten denied?

I ask because I'm about to trade in a few games without cases for the first time.

[quote name='naf']Interesting. I have traded in 'Not for Resale' games no problem. I suppose they just pitched the case, but it wasn't in front of me that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

I just traded in my Warriors of Rock game with the 'Not for Resale' over the UPC no problem. The employee just had to look it up in the system. Same thing when I traded in my copy of Call of Duty Black Ops (Prestige Edition).

Man i love my luck, managed to get to the store right before closing and traded in DoA Dimensions, RE: Mercs 3DS, Bioshock and Lego Rockband all for 60$. (And preordered Deus Ex). I got a feeling the price of most 3DS games will tank next week, seeing as they are selling quite a few good ones for 20$.

On a side note, annoys me that they dont allow pre-orders for some games instore. Was gonna pre-order Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner Overclocked for the 3DS, but they said i would have to order it on the site

I'm surprised that the thread hasn't had anybody mention how they now take your picture and scan your ID as part of the trade in procedure now. When I traded in last week I was completely floored at all this extra stuff to go through just to trade games. Unfortunately their values are too good for me to stop trading now.

[quote name='NineH']I'm surprised that the thread hasn't had anybody mention how they now take your picture and scan your ID as part of the trade in procedure now. When I traded in last week I was completely floored at all this extra stuff to go through just to trade games. Unfortunately their values are too good for me to stop trading now.[/QUOTE]

I assumed this was widespread by now. I remember the first time i went there after they shifted how you trade in, it usually barely took 5 minutes to do a couple of games. Took a good 15 minutes (From finding the employee, to them trying to scan the games, then trying to figure out why my I.D wouldnt work).

But yeah, thier values are too awesome to give up. (Even if it means dealing with some of thier employees)

[quote name='aznhero913']50% TIV bonus next week with purchase of madden[/QUOTE]

Guess we can expect another drop of TIV's across the board like the last time they did the 50% bonus. Then again, they didn't have an ongoing 40% extra bonus going on then, so maybe it won't be as brutal.

[quote name='NineH']I'm surprised that the thread hasn't had anybody mention how they now take your picture and scan your ID as part of the trade in procedure now. When I traded in last week I was completely floored at all this extra stuff to go through just to trade games. Unfortunately their values are too good for me to stop trading now.[/QUOTE]

Wha..?!@! Seriously? They take your picture and scan your ID? Perhaps it's because I frequent my store, but they take my Drivers License, type in the number, and hand it back - that's it.

What's next? Fingerprinting? DNA samples?

They have openly said their taking on Gamestop, but this process will not win them the war. The signature you need to give verifying the game is yours to sell should be all they need.

[quote name='aznhero913']50% TIV bonus next week with purchase of madden[/QUOTE]
Is this for pre order or actual paid purchase?

[quote name='sassylaurie']Wha..?!@! Seriously? They take your picture and scan your ID? Perhaps it's because I frequent my store, but they take my Drivers License, type in the number, and hand it back - that's it.

They have openly said their taking on Gamestop, but this process will not win them the war. The signature you need to give verifying the game is yours to sell should be all they need.[/QUOTE]

I think it's a matter of local laws and not something they actually want to do.

[quote name='sassylaurie']Wha..?!@! Seriously? They take your picture and scan your ID? Perhaps it's because I frequent my store, but they take my Drivers License, type in the number, and hand it back - that's it.

They have openly said their taking on Gamestop, but this process will not win them the war. The signature you need to give verifying the game is yours to sell should be all they need.[/QUOTE]
That excessive procedure(photo, scanning the license) may be required by the law where that poster lives. I know the procedure here is just take your ID number and actually I don't even think I had to hand them my ID the last time. They just asked for either my phone number or last name.:razz:

Now their policy on returns(where they'll cut you off from doing ANY returns if you do too many within a year) is ridiculous to me. I guess that means IF I buy anything besides loss leaders from them within a year I have to have done my homework and know I want to keep said items anymore.:roll:

[quote name='sassylaurie']What's next? Fingerprinting?[/QUOTE]

Next? I've been fingerprinted since my closest store started doing trade-ins. Darn state laws.

just got back from doing my first bestbuy tradein. they didn't take my pic.
traded in alice: madness returns ps3 for $22+$8.80 (+40% for preorder promo) put towards dark souls CE ps3. pretty sweet.

Dang, I was going to trade in my copy of Bulletstorm that I bought from the Hastings sale after I beat it. Might have to find another place to trade it in now, or just ebay it.

When you guys mention taking pictures, do you mean actually pictures with a digital camera or the little discreet pinhole camera on the fingerprint machine?

[quote name='tepro']2 days after SD post, Bulletstorm TIV 16 -> 11[/QUOTE]

Eh, it's still 15.40 with the 40% bonus. My other trades are still good so not a big deal. I would have traded it in Friday, but I wanted to play some of the games and figured TIV's were good until Monday. I guess I was wrong.

[quote name='mr mellow']Is this for pre order or actual paid purchase?[/QUOTE]

The game doesn't come out till the 30th so how would we be able to purchase it if Bestbuy only allow us to put down $5 on a pre-order?

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Eh, it's still 15.40 with the 40% bonus. My other trades are still good so not a big deal. I would have traded it in Friday, but I wanted to play some of the games and figured TIV's were good until Monday. I guess I was wrong.[/QUOTE]

you take 15.40 over 22.40?

[quote name='DCpinoy']When you guys mention taking pictures, do you mean actually pictures with a digital camera or the little discreet pinhole camera on the fingerprint machine?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the pinhole camera on the machine but it is still a bit odd to have to take your picture. I thought it was cute that the machine had a "say cheese!" on it though. On the right side of the machine there was a slot where they put your ID through and that's where I think they are scanning it although it may be something else that the machine is doing.

[quote name='NineH']Yeah, the pinhole camera on the machine but it is still a bit odd to have to take your picture. I thought it was cute that the machine had a "say cheese!" on it though. On the right side of the machine there was a slot where they put your ID through and that's where I think they are scanning it although it may be something else that the machine is doing.[/QUOTE]

ya the slot on the right is a scanner. diff states and cities have diff requirements so you cant blame BB. some of them require receipts, some of them require a scan of the ID, etc.

[quote name='boogie4114']The game doesn't come out till the 30th so how would we be able to purchase it if Bestbuy only allow us to put down $5 on a pre-order?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that was my original question and belief, you got an answer for it sherlock?

[quote name='dorkyden']ya the slot on the right is a scanner. diff states and cities have diff requirements so you cant blame BB. some of them require receipts, some of them require a scan of the ID, etc.[/QUOTE]

i dont see the point of this in store since people can trade online. yes, it will take longer but they wouldnt have your copy of id, picture taken,etc.

Thanks for the response everyone. I totally don't mind all this, I don't trade in large amounts of games or multiple copies anyways. I traded in about two days ago and I was surprised it only took about 15 mins this time. That was including the pre order.

[quote name='The Punisher']i dont see the point of this in store since people can trade online. yes, it will take longer but they wouldnt have your copy of id, picture taken,etc.[/QUOTE]

Uh, I'd rather have them take a second to take my picture because the law requires it than wait a month and a half to get a gift card through the mail. Not to mention that you get less credit mailing it in.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']Uh, I'd rather have them take a second to take my picture because the law requires it than wait a month and a half to get a gift card through the mail. Not to mention that you get less credit mailing it in.[/QUOTE]

i would do in store, but they the game had to be purchased from best buy and the receipt has to be provided. i already tried at my BB. i even had a receipt from gamestop and couldnt take that.

[quote name='The Punisher']i would do in store, but they the game had to be purchased from best buy and the receipt has to be provided. i already tried at my BB. i even had a receipt from gamestop and couldnt take that.[/QUOTE]

Wait, the games we are trading in had to have been purchased from BB or they won't take it in trade??

When I return a pre order can I take the slip to customer service, or do I have to take it to the trade in area by the games? I don't want to deal with the d-bag guy at the trade in area again.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']Wait, the games we are trading in had to have been purchased from BB or they won't take it in trade??[/QUOTE]

Good News Everyone!

It depends on the pawn laws in your area what they require you to do for trade ins!

::Crosses fingers that my tiv's don't plummet when I wake up. I'm gonna stop by and try to get a touchpad(fail i know), so cmon saw2, keep your tiv's strong!

L.A. Noire, Call of Duty: Black Ops, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (disc only, keeping my Special Edition packaging) will get me $90 today with the +50% bonus towards Madden.

[quote name='akuma77']how easy is it to cancel preorders[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering this as well. Is it possible to trade-in games, get the 50% madden preorder bonus and then cancel the preorder? Will you lose the 50% bonus?

All Best Buys are supposed to take disc only games correct? Mine wouldn't so where do I direct them to so they can see that they are supposed to take them.

[quote name='noone13']All Best Buys are supposed to take disc only games correct? Mine wouldn't so where do I direct them to so they can see that they are supposed to take them.[/QUOTE]

It should be in their manual. They looked it up one time when I brought in a bunch of disc only games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back