Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='outkastx']Is there anyway to sort the trade in estimator by value?[/QUOTE]Sadly, no. There is fun in the hunt. A smart phone at BBV helps a bit ;)

So, my wife and I made BBV to BB flipping my short term part time job this last week. I took all our grocery money and just about doubled it (less gas). I am very leery of getting banned, so I tried really hard to only trade 3 of each game/system. If there wasn't that fear, BB would have about 100 copies of SWFU2 right now. I didn't even get to bbv until the Friday after the sale started. I don't think the Blockbusters in my area get frequented often. Apparently, a few months ago one of the stores I went to got blu-ray stock from a bunch of closing stores. They got down to $1/movie. The manager said one guy came in a bought 600 blu-rays.

[quote name='orangecrush'] If there wasn't that fear, BB would have about 100 copies of SWFU2 right now. [/QUOTE]

It's THE WORST when you find an untouched BBV and only have time to visit one BB (so you don't want to sit on a bunch of copies of STFU2) and you see that they have like 20+ copies of it for ps3 and xbox. I'm like "damn, going to have to leave this money for the next guy"

For some reason whenever BB changes values on games im flipping,even if i still make a profit, i feel the need to do it more frequently than i already do. Kinda like a "This is what happens when you fuck with my amazon money"

Anyone here from California tried to trade in multiple copies of a game into a BBY store recently? I was quoted a Pawn Shop law about not taking more than of the same item at a time when I went traded our 2 copies of the game in last week @ GS. I'm wondering if Gamestop just quotes that to stop dealers from trading in dozens of the same item, or if all California stores incl BBY do this.

[quote name='mgford11']Anyone here from California tried to trade in multiple copies of a game into a BBY store recently? I was quoted a Pawn Shop law about not taking more than of the same item at a time when I went traded our 2 copies of the game in last week @ GS. I'm wondering if Gamestop just quotes that to stop dealers from trading in dozens of the same item, or if all California stores incl BBY do this.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop has a policy of no multiples.
I always do multiples at BB and im fine.
Also in SoCal

[quote name='rey6eric']Yea I was disappointed when I found Madden 11 at $7 TIV. I'm just going to wait for the gears promo to trade in my copies.[/QUOTE]

what's that?

Where the prepaid Visa card located in BB? Can't never find them at all the stores I went, ask blueshirts and was told they don't sell them.

[quote name='tepro']Where the prepaid Visa card located in BB? Can't never find them at all the stores I went, ask blueshirts and was told they don't sell them.[/QUOTE]

They're next to the customer service desk for me.

just a suggestion to those of you trading in, your best buy trade-in guys/gals will love you if you put in a little bit of work and do this for your ps2 disc only games from GS or wherever. Not to mention it will take half the time in-store so you can get on to more flipping! ;)

m8pwdh.jpg

[quote name='sirplue']what's that?[/QUOTE]

According to this post it looks like Best Buy is going to run a 50% promo with a gears of war 3 preorder, like they did with Madden.

[quote name='darkasian']I just traded 2 more copies of The Force Unleashed 2, when I was informed by the sales girl that she'd try to give me an extra 50% bump with a Gears of War 3 preorder. This apparently goes into effect on Sunday, as it's not active yet. Took the 40% because "these" games can't stay at $12 for much longer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='orangecrush']Sadly, no. There is fun in the hunt. A smart phone at BBV helps a bit ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, I've got one, but it's still going to be a PITA to look up everything. Good thing the manager likes me!

[quote name='orangecrush']So, my wife and I made BBV to BB flipping my short term part time job this last week. I took all our grocery money and just about doubled it (less gas). I am very leery of getting banned, so I tried really hard to only trade 3 of each game/system. If there wasn't that fear, BB would have about 100 copies of SWFU2 right now. I didn't even get to bbv until the Friday after the sale started. I don't think the Blockbusters in my area get frequented often. Apparently, a few months ago one of the stores I went to got blu-ray stock from a bunch of closing stores. They got down to $1/movie. The manager said one guy came in a bought 600 blu-rays.[/QUOTE]

I have access to one BBV and one BB. I have traded in 6 copies of numerous games - hopefully I didn't push my luck too far.

What kind of condition have the games been in for the people that have traded in mass amounts? Also are you going back to the same store to go over the 3 game limit or a different store?

[quote name='outkastx']I have access to one BBV and one BB. I have traded in 6 copies of numerous games - hopefully I didn't push my luck too far.[/QUOTE]

Dude are you serious? They clearly state their policy is 3 copies per year. I hope you did push your luck too far and they ban you for it. People like you who have been flipping multiple copies of games (especially ps2 sports titles) are screwing things up for everyone. You know why there aren't many places that offer decent TIVs anymore? It's because of people like you. Get ready to kiss decent TIVs and deals from Best Buy goodbye, because people like you killed it. Thanks.

[quote name='The Long Haired Bard']Dude are you serious? They clearly state their policy is 3 copies per year. I hope you did push your luck too far and they ban you for it. People like you who have been flipping multiple copies of games (especially ps2 sports titles) are screwing things up for everyone. You know why there aren't many places that offer decent TIVs anymore? It's because of people like you. Get ready to kiss decent TIVs and deals from Best Buy goodbye, because people like you killed it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If he kills it then it'll be a sad day for all us...

[quote name='The Long Haired Bard']Dude are you serious? They clearly state their policy is 3 copies per year. I hope you did push your luck too far and they ban you for it. People like you who have been flipping multiple copies of games (especially ps2 sports titles) are screwing things up for everyone. You know why there aren't many places that offer decent TIVs anymore? It's because of people like you. Get ready to kiss decent TIVs and deals from Best Buy goodbye, because people like you killed it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]trade in values are low because the companies offering them want to make a profit. They offer the lowest amount they think they can to get the stock they think they can sell. There really arent that many flippers compaired to the moms buying their kids games by trading in their old games.

I know the OP mentions that these percentage bonus offers aren't stackable. Does it mean you can't stack it with the pre-order 5 and get $100 gift card? If it isn't, has anyone had any luck at their stores combining the 2 offers?

I stopped by one of my local Best Buy's yesterday and I noticed this huge ass stack of PS2 games from GS sitting on the counter behind the employee; there were at least 75-80 of them. Of course they were all $1 sports games.

I didn't care so much that someone actually took that many in at once; but they didn't even bother to take the $0.99 stickers off the sleeve. Naturally, the employee ended up asking me a few questions about the stacks of PS2 sports games coming in sleeves.

I don't know why BBs are so different. My stores absolutely refuse to take any game that isn't complete. If I walked in with a bunch of games in sleeves, the blue shirt's head might explode.

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']I know the OP mentions that these percentage bonus offers aren't stackable. Does it mean you can't stack it with the pre-order 5 and get $100 gift card? If it isn't, has anyone had any luck at their stores combining the 2 offers?[/QUOTE]

They will work, since one is a trade in get % bonus, and the other is a preorder get $ bonus. The offers that are not stackable are trade 3 get 30% & preorder get 40%. Basically any bonus % offers do not stack.

[quote name='nakanenui']They will work, since one is a trade in get % bonus, and the other is a preorder get $ bonus. The offers that are not stackable are trade 3 get 30% & preorder get 40%. Basically any bonus % offers do not stack.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the quick response. Looks like I'm going to wait for the Gears trade-in promo and pre-order 4 other games.

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']Thanks for the quick response. Looks like I'm going to wait for the Gears trade-in promo and pre-order 4 other games.[/QUOTE]

and you only need to put $5 per preorder. I think people have said you can ONLY put $5 down anyway, unless online where you pay in full? When you go in you can ask the game rep for more info on the preorder 5/$100 deal.

[quote name='nakanenui']and you only need to put $5 per preorder. I think people have said you can ONLY put $5 down anyway, unless online where you pay in full? When you go in you can ask the game rep for more info on the preorder 5/$100 deal.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the tip

[quote name='bgame2']I don't know why BBs are so different. My stores absolutely refuse to take any game that isn't complete. If I walked in with a bunch of games in sleeves, the blue shirt's head might explode.[/QUOTE]

If you ever want to argue with someone, there have been numerous company wide bulletins saying specifically that you CAN trade in games without cases. Get a manager involvd and tell them to log onto ETK (Employee toolkit) ---> tools and resources ----> click gaming department ------> communications -----> employee news. Then bam it's right there.

[quote name='The Long Haired Bard']Dude are you serious? They clearly state their policy is 3 copies per year. I hope you did push your luck too far and they ban you for it. People like you who have been flipping multiple copies of games (especially ps2 sports titles) are screwing things up for everyone. You know why there aren't many places that offer decent TIVs anymore? It's because of people like you. Get ready to kiss decent TIVs and deals from Best Buy goodbye, because people like you killed it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Dude, are you serious? I only see a limit of 3 when you send them in via the online trade in, but I don't see that stipulation anywhere else. I hope they don't ban me. People like you who complain about crap need to GTFO the thread or mind your own business - I haven't even flipped any PS2 games Mr. Smarty Pants. There is always a place that offers you good TIV, but that place changes every once in awhile. If you really think that I personally killed TIVs then you are a moron. Thanks.

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']Thanks for the quick response. Looks like I'm going to wait for the Gears trade-in promo and pre-order 4 other games.[/QUOTE]

What's the Gears trade in promo?

[quote name='hustletron']What's the Gears trade in promo?[/QUOTE]

I think it's going to be 50% more per trade in towards a copy of Gears 3.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I think it's going to be 50% more per trade in towards a copy of Gears 3.[/QUOTE]

Damn, why wouldn't they be running that way earlier? I've had Gears 3 preordered for a while now.

[quote name='nakanenui']They will work, since one is a trade in get % bonus, and the other is a preorder get $ bonus. The offers that are not stackable are trade 3 get 30% & preorder get 40%. Basically any bonus % offers do not stack.[/QUOTE]

Besides the unlocked gamers club 10% that is comin the 12th.

[quote name='hustletron']Damn, why wouldn't they be running that way earlier? I've had Gears 3 preordered for a while now.[/QUOTE]

Just pre-order another copy.

[quote name='hustletron']Damn, why wouldn't they be running that way earlier? I've had Gears 3 preordered for a while now.[/QUOTE]

Just ask if they can accept your previous preorder an apply the 50% bonus. Most will be fine with it. If not walk over get a preorder for GoW after asking, pay for it with the GC you get from trading then walk to the front and return it. Make sure you slip in that you have had this preordered for weeks, but yet it was stupid that they made you do another preorder just to get the bonus. Can always ad in something like "walmart doesn't do this shit" or " if this is how it is goin to be then I'd rated spend m money at ____ (gamestop is the preferred term since they are on a crusade to put them out of business)

[quote name='outkastx']Just pre-order another copy.[/QUOTE]

Right............

My point was that I traded in a bunch of games already when I went to preorder Gears, had I known about this upcoming promo I would have hung onto those and also traded in the ones I have for trade currently.

Anyone know when this Gears promo starts?

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Besides the unlocked gamers club 10% that is comin the 12th.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I plan on getting that. It is a similar program like GS edge/PUR card. So having that membership will allow stacking that 10% on top of any of their other promos. 10% TIV bump and the coupons in their mag are the main reasons I would to pay their $15 membership fee. Figure you trade in $150 worth of games, over the course of a year and it pays for itself. 1 magazine coupon for $20 off would also pay for the membership in 1 swoop. The rest is just gravy...

[quote name='hustletron']Right............

My point was that I traded in a bunch of games already when I went to preorder Gears, had I known about this upcoming promo I would have hung onto those and also traded in the ones I have for trade currently.

Anyone know when this Gears promo starts?[/QUOTE]

My mistake, I didn't read through all of your posts - I thought you were saying that you had more games to trade-in and wanted the 50% bonus, but already had the pre-order.

Earlier someone said Sunday was the start of the promo, but I think it's just rumor.

[quote name='nakanenui']Yeah, I plan on getting that. It is a similar program like GS edge/PUR card. So having that membership will allow stacking that 10% on top of any of their other promos. 10% TIV bump and the coupons in their mag are the main reasons I would to pay their $15 membership fee. Figure you trade in $150 worth of games, over the course of a DAY and it pays for itself. 1 magazine coupon for $20 off would also pay for the membership in 1 swoop. The rest is just gravy...[/QUOTE]

Fixed it to apply to the cag.

[quote name='outkastx']My mistake, I didn't read through all of your posts - I thought you were saying that you had more games to trade-in and wanted the 50% bonus, but already had the pre-order.

Earlier someone said Sunday was the start of the promo, but I think it's just rumor.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, well it's gotta be before the 20th obviously, so that means I need to finish Deus Ex soon.......Sunday sounds the most plausible as it's a whole week before the release.

[quote name='hustletron']Right............

Anyone know when this Gears promo starts?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didnt read through it either, I guess. But waiting 3-4 days can kill TIV so you might have actually saved yourself.

Gears promo should start Sunday. As they will have it in their ad like they did with madden.

If they go the madden route it will go all the way for 2 weeks (the second week is if you purchase gears).

[quote name='Nealocus123']If you ever want to argue with someone, there have been numerous company wide bulletins saying specifically that you CAN trade in games without cases. Get a manager involvd and tell them to log onto ETK (Employee toolkit) ---> tools and resources ----> click gaming department ------> communications -----> employee news. Then bam it's right there.[/QUOTE]

I know you work at BB, so I want you to walk into a different BB and try that. You will be told either that (1) there is no such thing, or (2) they checked and there is nothing there, or (3) they can refuse any trade for any reason -- because they completely do not understand what that means. Blueshirts throw hissy fits when you let on that you've researched their job.

[quote name='DerClaw'] Blueshirts throw hissy fits when you let on that you've researched their job.[/QUOTE]

Sadly like most things you have to get them from A to B without You even hinting at they are wrong. Once it gets in their heads that you may be questioning their correctness, you just lost.

It seems like a bad sitcom. But jus have to do it. I had a manager refuse to look up the 6/1/11 memo saying that the coupons stack with sale prices because the coupon "clearly states it isn't valid with sale prices". Just said thank you and walked over to the gaming department and asked them to check the memo. 2 minutes later The manager that said no saw me in the gaming department and said not to ring up DA2 (think it was that sale) with the coupon.

Gaming sup said he already rang up both and that the coupon was accepted. Manager said it shouldn't blah blah blah. Gaming sup brought up the memo and the manager took what seemed like 5+ minutes reading through it 20 times. He then questioned how I knew about an interoffice memo. Said the BB forums have it posted there by BB CSRs to clear up confusion. He was hesitant at first, but since has apologized and greets me all the time when I come in. Overall he seems like a nice guy, just takes his job to serious I guess.

Tldr; if you get denied on valid reasons, find another way to get there.

So here's something I'm a bit confused about. BB offers base trade in of $3 for the Forza/ODST combo pack. But they accept disc only, so couldn't I trade those in separately without the case for their standalone TIV? ($7 + $5) ?

[quote name='TravistyOJ']So here's something I'm a bit confused about. BB offers base trade in of $3 for the Forza/ODST combo pack. But they accept disc only, so couldn't I trade those in separately without the case for their standalone TIV? ($7 + $5) ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but there are people that don't know better.

Well...traded in ~60 PS2 games yesterday without a problem. The guy even was happy and asked if I could bring in more today, which I gladly told him I could and would! So I walk in today with ~100 more games only to be told by the same guy that he cant take them because his manager told him that they were losing too much money on these huge PS2 tradeins. The guy wasnt a douche or anything, in fact he suggested I try another BB about 30 mins away to unload the games. Anyone else run into this issue before? This BB has been super cool and laid back on everything in the past....up till now.

[quote name='aspen1284']Well...traded in ~60 PS2 games yesterday without a problem. The guy even was happy and asked if I could bring in more today, which I gladly told him I could and would! So I walk in today with ~100 more games only to be told by the same guy that he cant take them because his manager told him that they were losing too much money on these huge PS2 tradeins. The guy wasnt a douche or anything, in fact he suggested I try another BB about 30 mins away to unload the games. Anyone else run into this issue before? This BB has been super cool and laid back on everything in the past....up till now.[/QUOTE]

At some point it is inevitable that memos start coming down from corporate telling stores to avoid taking stacks of disc only sports games that are obviously from gamestop if they have already taken in a few hundred of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back