Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
BB's really not playing anymore. Don't put it past them to have some online rep checking websites like this to see what is hot, and of course they are doing something to monitor when stuff coming in spikes, and are getting faster about neutralizing it.

Nowadays, if you can't jump on a deal day one, you're basically toast.

[quote name='confoosious']You'd think they'd learn their lesson after thousands of copies of Two Worlds II ended up in their warehouse with nowhere to go.

Or maybe they know and just don't care right now to build a customer base.[/QUOTE]

This or at least I hope it's the case

[quote name='sgaldis']BB's really not playing anymore. Don't put it past them to have some online rep checking websites like this to see what is hot, and of course they are doing something to monitor when stuff coming in spikes, and are getting faster about neutralizing it.

Nowadays, if you can't jump on a deal day one, you're basically toast.[/QUOTE]

They just need to have a rep here. I am sure amazon/Noram does.

[quote name='Toss']so I guess they think they are going to make money on those 1 dollar ps2 ganes.[/QUOTE]

Consider this.

>Soccer Mom walks in
>Soccer Mom wants deals
>Soccer Mom sees wall of $2-$5 Games.
>Soccer Mom thinks she's getting a deal. BestBuy makes money.

Realistcly,

< INCINERATOR MUAHAHA

[quote name='Japakneez']Quick but not as fast as amazon....yet. All they need to do now is ban the people that traded more than 3 per platform :wave:[/QUOTE]

:wave:

That rule, as said before, is up to interpretation by the store.
Like mine, treats it as "3 per transaction" Others treat it as "3 per year"

Also id the employee takes the games, why should it be the person who is trading it in's fault. They can see all of your transaction's when you put in the reward zone account.

Today I decided to pay the $14.99 for the "unlocked" program. So of course now they will be all over these quick flips. Oh, and sorry guys but that is sure to make the future magazine coupons suck as well. Now that I've bought in to this Best Buy thing, it is guaranteed to go to crap ;).

I bought 2 and traded 1 (was going to keep the other) with the plan of getting a few more tomorrow. Oh well, better than nothing I suppose though I knew better and should have traded the second one while I was there (and got my own copy to keep later). With that and a few random games I got a $3.80 bonus just from the "unlocked" membership on top of the 30% bonus. I didn't want to mess with preordering games I didn't want so I stuck with the "honest" promo ;).

So now I'm only down $11.19. Actually, make that $6.20 since I used the coupon in the magazine (after convincing the gaming rep that I should get a copy of the mag immediately since that's the way Gamestop does it) to get a copy of Hunted for $10 that I will trade to Amazon for $15.

The stupid thing I did was to not bring 1 of the 5 or 6 Best Buy gift cards I have from previous trades. So I had to pay for the $14.99 membership with a credit card #-o. If ever there was a good use of Best Buy credit, there it was... Wonder if I at least get RZ points for that though.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Consider this.

>Soccer Mom walks in
>Soccer Mom wants deals
>Soccer Mom sees wall of $2-$5 Games.
>Soccer Mom thinks she's getting a deal. BestBuy makes money.

Realistcly,

< INCINERATOR MUAHAHA

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Nice....how many did it take for that?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing about a week. He's lucky his BB lets him trade in more than the 3x per console per year limit

[quote name='62t']They just need to have a rep here. I am sure amazon/Noram does.[/QUOTE]
I'm surprised they don't have a system in place to identify and deal with flipping scams sooner. Just make sure your trade-in guys have somewhere to report a suspiciously good deal they've just given out, and give them an incentive for snitching. Or have all the trade-in sales periodically run through some simple software to flag patterns like a million 1-dollar PS2 games being traded in a day, and adjust the prices accordingly. I have to imagine they're losing more than the cost of a little due diligence on all the MLB/NBA/NFL/PGA 2002's and such.

I suspect they simply don't care about the PS2 games. ($ wise -- even if you trade in 100 games, it's not that much) But they probably will start looking into accounts for abuse of big trade in values x multiple copies.

We'll see what they do. But just like amazon in the beginning, these TIVs are too good. They have to come down sooner or later.

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Nice....how many did it take for that?[/QUOTE]

Don't feel like grabbing recipts but my best guess would be 25-30games.

with the highest being $28 base lowest being $7 base

FYI: Use the pop up trade-in estimator for the most up to date prices. Move Heroes is still listed at $15 when you use the finder directly on the BB website.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Great, I'm looking at my few PS2 games that I want to get rid of like they're Companion Cubes now. Your avatar icon only helped in reinforcing the image.[/QUOTE]

Murderer.

Like a few others I had trouble trading in yesterday. Was there around 3 PM Eastern with two copies of Playstation Heroes, one Enslaved and 30 something PS2 games. Guy puts them all in, promos look ok, yet the total came out to $1582 instead of the $112 I should have gotten!

Needless to say they did not give it to me which is understandable. They tried putting it through without the Gamer Club Unlocked bonus (because they thought it might be causing problems on day one) but still wanted to give me around $1300. Finally they just said to call today and bring my games back to see if was fixed. What sucks now is that the trade value of Playstation Heroes dropped.

Once they told me to bring it back I asked them what to do if any of my values dropped and they told me the values don't update until Saturday/Sunday (ha!) but if they did drop they would try to compensate me. Oh well, had been planning on picking up that Nyco Kinect Lens thing today anyway, hopefully they can maybe discount it or something to offset the difference.

It took them 1 day to drop the value of move heroes, even less than 12 hours, now its 6. Glad I did my trade in of 3 for a total of $72 with the unlocked rz bonus and 50% bump. Thay are getting smarter in a sense. Theyre watching us...

[quote name='chingychink2005']It took them 1 day to drop the value of move heroes, even less than 12 hours, now its 6. Glad I did my trade in of 3 for a total of $72 with the unlocked rz bonus and 50% bump. Thay are getting smarter in a sense. Theyre watching us...[/QUOTE]

code words perhaps? :whistle2:#

[quote name='chingychink2005']It took them 1 day to drop the value of move heroes, even less than 12 hours, now its 6. Glad I did my trade in of 3 for a total of $72 with the unlocked rz bonus and 50% bump. Thay are getting smarter in a sense. Theyre watching us...[/QUOTE]

I think they're watching SD the most. Anything really good on the front page is going to either sell out or be flipped. Plus it was the only Move game that had a high TIV any way. Even the guy doing my trades at BB told me he was going to buy 3 copies to flip. Hopefully he did it today. I told him he probably had until Tuesday or Wednesday to get his trades in before this dropped. Oops.

[quote name='cancerman1120']FYI: Use the pop up trade-in estimator for the most up to date prices. Move Heroes is still listed at $15 when you use the finder directly on the BB website.[/QUOTE]

Good call. I was going to leave in an hour to hit up GS but no point now. :/

I also don't doubt BB has some way of tracking what games are traded in on a day to day basis. I'm sure if they see the volume of something like Move Heroes jump above games like Black Ops they know something is up.

n00b question: I have a $5 reserve on Dead Rising and $21 on Saints Row (including the $5 reserve). Can I cancel both and get $26 back? Thinking about price matching Dues Ex.

[quote name='Stingermck']n00b question: I have a $5 reserve on Dead Rising and $21 on Saints Row (including the $5 reserve). Can I cancel both and get $26 back? Thinking about price matching Dues Ex.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can cancel them both and get your money back. Just bring your receipt.

[quote name='JediJames2']Once they told me to bring it back I asked them what to do if any of my values dropped and they told me the values don't update until Saturday/Sunday (ha!) but if they did drop they would try to compensate me. Oh well, had been planning on picking up that Nyco Kinect Lens thing today anyway, hopefully they can maybe discount it or something to offset the difference.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar problem in July where the Trade-In system was down Saturday night. Because it was in the evening, the trade in kiosk was closed, so I was sent to the service desk. My CS rep was actually the store manager, and she told me to come in at 5:30 Sunday when she was working and she manually gave me a "Cash Out" gift card for the difference.

Well, I missed out on the Heroes flip, but I'm still just going to trade some games I have in my collection I don't play to put toward Gears 3. That 50% is a nice bump on some games with good values right now. I'll just have to recheck them today to make sure they held from yesterday.

I have two Gears 3 pre-orders from two seperate Best Buy, I want to cancle both at the same store. Will they make a big deal about canceling the other stores pre order?

[quote name='rey6eric']I have two Gears 3 pre-orders from two seperate Best Buy, I want to cancle both at the same store. Will they make a big deal about canceling the other stores pre order?[/QUOTE]

i'm pretty sure you can only cancel the pre-order at the store you placed it at.

[quote name='jdb230']i'm pretty sure you can only cancel the pre-order at the store you placed it at.[/QUOTE]Yup. I look at the preorder as just a cost of doing business. If your trade value is over 25, then it is worth paying for the preorder even if you can't get your money back (20% difference between 3 or more and preorder gears bonus) for the preorder.

[quote name='jdb230']i'm pretty sure you can only cancel the pre-order at the store you placed it at.[/QUOTE]
Actually I was surprised to find out that you can cancel at another store.
I preordered BF3 near work to trade in some games. Later I considered taking that release day off, so I wanted to preorder at a BB up the road from my house plus I traded a few more games in. I went to CS and they canceled the preorder from the other store right there. They even let me put the $5 towards a HP Touchstone that was laying around in the store.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Search function. Use it.
$6 charge.
Up to $200.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for answering the the question about VISA Giftcard fees at BB. I have a question for you though. Do you have some secret as to how to get the search function to work well? Are you just using the basic search box up top or is there a special way to search within a thread? In other words, can you teach us how we could use the search function on this website to find that information about VISA giftcards on our own. In my experience, the search box here at CAG has been pretty crappy at giving good results (even when you are looking for a specific thread that you know exists and remember part of the title) I understand ragging on people for not reading the OP of a thread, but any help that you can provide for those of us that would like to find info on our own, would be greatly apreciated.

I had a great experience yesterday. I walked in with a stack of games, walked over to the video games counter, and said I wanted to pre-order Gears and sign up for the new Reward program. I was done in about ten minutes, a lot faster than some other Best Buys I've been to. $196 base into $313.60 after bonuses.

With all these drops happening, it seems like the higher-ups are a little more on the ball recently. I wonder how long it'll take to lower values under a dollar.

[quote name='z24buddy']Thank you for answering the the question about VISA Giftcard fees at BB. I have a question for you though. Do you have some secret as to how to get the search function to work well? Are you just using the basic search box up top or is there a special way to search within a thread? In other words, can you teach us how we could use the search function on this website to find that information about VISA giftcards on our own. In my experience, the search box here at CAG has been pretty crappy at giving good results (even when you are looking for a specific thread that you know exists and remember part of the title) I understand ragging on people for not reading the OP of a thread, but any help that you can provide for those of us that would like to find info on our own, would be greatly apreciated.[/QUOTE]

There's a small box that specifically says 'Search This Thread'. Pops up a box where you can search inside of a specific thread. Much more useful than a general search.

i milked the crap out of that move heroes last night, hit three best buys.. traded in 6 copies. first time, didn't have to preorder because I asked the guy "if the preorder is here ,can i pick it up in joliet because i'm not from around here" and he's just like take it to joliet and then your giftcard will work lol..

so anyway...
i turned $60 + la noire + nba 2k11
into $200 credit

[quote name='orangecrush']Dj hero dropped like a rock. It was a good way to transfer from gs to bb.[/QUOTE]

hey, it was a nice transfer for some time now. move heroes lasted all of 8 hrs and even deus ex has dropped. seems we are now being watched.

so do different stores not have a record of your trade-ins? so i could hypothetically trade-in 3 of 1 game to 8 different stores and not risk getting banned/popo called on me/spanked?

So with the Gamefly sale I am itching to change some of my Credit into a Visa Card. For those who have did you get a lot of flack for trying to use your credit? My BB is pretty cool but I do not really want to drive all the way out and get into an argument. Last time I tried to buy another BB GC (as a gift) with some of my credit the cashier said I could not at first but then I asked her to try and it was fine.

[quote name='animemaniac14']so do different stores not have a record of your trade-ins? so i could hypothetically trade-in 3 of 1 game to 8 different stores and not risk getting banned/popo called on me/spanked?[/QUOTE]No one really knows for sure.

If I do the 40% preorder thing, does any spillover credit just go into a gift card? (UMVC3 is only 40 buxish, but my total trade in value might be more than that, so...?)

[quote name='h4mx0r']If I do the 40% preorder thing, does any spillover credit just go into a gift card? (UMVC3 is only 40 buxish, but my total trade in value might be more than that, so...?)[/QUOTE]

Only $5 goes towards your pre-order and the rest gets put on a gift card

[quote name='cancerman1120']So with the Gamefly sale I am itching to change some of my Credit into a Visa Card. For those who have did you get a lot of flack for trying to use your credit? My BB is pretty cool but I do not really want to drive all the way out and get into an argument. Last time I tried to buy another BB GC (as a gift) with some of my credit the cashier said I could not at first but then I asked her to try and it was fine.[/QUOTE]
Bought three visa cars so far, no issue.

I would like to figure out an easy way to turn it into real cash though. Keeping track of all my little purchases is a pain in the ass.

[quote name='Usa Ghost']I've tried the visa cards but was told I can't buy a gift card with a gift card.is there any method around this?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, competent employees.

I've done it at multiple locations and didn't have any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back