Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ceve2001']This question is for anyone. I always see some stories about managers/employee's freaking out when we make more than what we get them for. Is it illegal or does it depend on your state?[/QUOTE]
No, it isn't illegal to get more than you paid. It's none of their business anyway whether you got it for free or paid $60 for it.

[quote name='DWulf']Just a suggestion for those trying to use the prepaid Visas online, such as for the Gamefly sale. Try registering the card online. If you read the little paper FAQ that's included in the package with the card, it states that the card needs to be registered online in order for online, telephone, or mail retailers to accept it. You basically attach your address and name to the card that way. The website is www.giftcardmall.com/mygift

I have not tried using the card online myself yet, so I don't know for sure if this will work, but it's worth a try.[/QUOTE]

You do need to register them to use online at most places. However, most places such as gamefly or netflix where there will be recurring charges still do not accept them.

Traded in some games today @ BB went really fast and smooth, preordered GoW3 for 50% bonus. Found out I have to wait till I receive that thing in the mail for GamersClub Unlocked before I can get the additional 10% for games which sucks lol.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I'm from Columbus too, even though I don't flip I trade in regularly. I think it's time to start carrying receipts in the car.[/QUOTE]

Carry a receipt? What if it was faded or the games were 6+ months old?
The reason they have that policy because they dont want people trading in 3+ of the same game and to prevent fraud.

From that story, the manager was wrong. Now if he was trading games that were like newly released or just a month old, then I could understand why receipt is needed due to fraud, but what if some of the games were 6+ months old and was a gift from his parents? (example)
They had no right to call the cops unless BB had enough proof.(probably was thinking that he was shoplifting) BB can look at your purchase/return/trade history. Now if he traded in like 3+ of the same games within the 1 year period and had many odd trade ins within a short period of time, then that will cause a red flag and cops would have to be called.(example: trade in 30+ xbox 360 and PS3 games within a month)
He was falsely accused of theft and BB was out of line. See why BB jump on it ASAP the following day and offered a $250 to him because of a lawsuit.(good thing he also had it on speakerphone) He could shoot the offer down and collect easy $5000- $10,000 or more, but they would probably settle for around that amount. FYI- that was pretty bad, they should have offered anywhere between $500-$1000 gift card

[quote name='spatenfloot']No, it isn't illegal to get more than you paid. It's none of their business anyway whether you got it for free or paid $60 for it.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think so either, but I just can't figure out why some of these BB employees freaks out. Thankfully no employee has asked me about a receipt. The worse I've got is why do I have 3 copies. I'd like to say non-of-ur-f-ing-business, but I just say some lame excuse stating my friends gave me some copies they were going to throw away.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I'm from Columbus too, even though I don't flip I trade in regularly. I think it's time to start carrying receipts in the car.[/QUOTE]

Do what I do, if I buy a game I usually put the receipt inside the case. That way I always know where it is. If you can't find it. Open the other game cases :)

Do all stores give out gift receipts? I just thought about how much easier it could be to get that one with the original, so that BB employee's don't need to question it.

Best Buy is hiring a lot of people that don't know what the fuck is going on. I went in on Sunday to get rid of a couple old PS3 games and a bunch of old PS2 games. After I traded them all in the clerk told me if I pre-ordered a game I would get $32 extra for the trades. I remembered Fry's was going to have God of War: Origins for $29.99 so I pre-ordered that at BB. This clerk that took my games actually was a well informed employee and knew the answers to all the questions people were asking him as he was scanning my games.

I go today to get the game and they didn't have the game pulled for me. After the game is brought to the counter I asked for a price match. I told her it was Fry's and immediately am told that they only price match Target, Walmart, etc. So I asked her why Fry's doesn't count and said, "they don't have as many stores as Target." I told her about company policy to price match a retailer 25 miles from the Best Buy. The store was 23.8 miles away so she was bugged about how short the deal would have been dead by 1.2 miles. Well then she tells me she will call Frys to see if it's in stock. After many attempts she tells me its busy and nothing can be done. I pull out my phone and call the number and its ringing then an answer on the first try . I give her my phone and finds she finds out they have it in stock. She says then calls the manager up to price match and gave me this evil stare.

Do you guys think Best Buy would have Fry's number blocked from their store to just give a busy signal? The girl said she tried 5 or 6 times.

After all the hassle to get it price match I actually got it FREE for just adding a pre-order to my trades to get 40%. I didn't really want to pre-order any game but this was a great offer.

It just depends on the luck of the luck of the draw on how well informed the employees are on video game purchases and the way the program works.

"Do you guys think Best Buy would have Fry's number blocked from their store to just give a busy signal?"

Why in the world and how in the world would they do this?

[quote name='confoosious']
"Do you guys think Best Buy would have Fry's number blocked from their store to just give a busy signal?"

Why in the world and how in the world would they do this?[/QUOTE]

Just saying when the number was dialed from the store it was busy every time. She called then helped a customer and called back multiple times.Then when after she tells me there nothing can be done. I call and magically it goes right through. After the call she said, "I swear it was busy." She redialed the number again from BB & it was busy again right after my call.

Just seemed odd plus this BB is pain to get shit done in. Now I remember why I haven't shopped there in over 8 months.

[quote name='Bumslie']Just saying when the number was dialed from the store it was busy every time. She called then helped a customer and called back multiple times.Then when after she tells me there nothing can be done. I call and magically it goes right through. After the call she said, "I swear it was busy." She redialed the number again from BB & it was busy again right after my call.

Just seemed odd plus this BB is pain to get shit done in. Now I remember why I haven't shopped there in over 8 months.[/QUOTE]

It is possible to do, but I haven't heard of any stores doing this for competitors numbers. It is usually for 800/900 numbers and things of that nature.

EDIT: Jimmienoman s post reminded me I need to finish my complaint letter to BB. I have had 3 terrible experiences at the same store with 2 people and I am not even a flipper. Just a regular buyer who gets harassed. (I just watch this thread to see what is going on with these ps2 'flips' I have been hearing about).

Our great education system at work.
Reading comprehension - fail; math skills - fail; English grammar - mediocre.
I weep at the future of our great country. But at least we will have great hand-eye coordination.

[quote name='nakanenui']Our great education system at work.
Reading comprehension - fail; math skills - fail; English grammar - mediocre.
I weep at the future of our great country. But at least we will have great hand-eye coordination.[/QUOTE]

>Complains about grammar
>Starts a sentence with "But"
>wat.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']>Complains about grammar
>Starts a sentence with "But"
>wat.[/QUOTE]

You can use "But" to start a sentence when using it in an informal setting. Notice how I stated 'mediocre' for grammar, as we still have room to slide.

edit: I had to add some relevance to avoid going off topic. I was able to get my 10% BB Unlocked bonus on top of the GoW 3 preorder 50% bonus at the time of trade in. I really do not understand what BS the employee is spouting off about not being able to give the bonus immediately. The employee at my store was trying to push the Unlocked membership and Brink as a bundle for 24.99. The coupon in the @gamer magazine has the $20 off coupon, which would make Brink 9.99 (or Hunted for that matter). I joked with the employee regarding the fact that their bundle being more expensive than being doing the deal separately. Also make sure they give a copy of the @gamer mag for free when you pay for Unlocked, as the employee forgot mine which required a manager override of the 4.99 price.

[quote name='nakanenui']You can use "But" to start a sentence when using it in an informal setting. Notice how I stated 'mediocre' for grammar, as we still have room to slide.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah?
Well your hat?
It looks stupid.
There I said it.
WHAT NOW FRIEND?

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Oh yeah?
Well your hat?
It looks stupid.
There I said it.
WHAT NOW FRIEND?[/QUOTE]

Where is Southern California are you trading your games? I have not run into any CAGs yet, and I trade throughout Orange County.

GS stopped their B2G2 :ps2: sale so there went that goldmine. And BB dropped their :ps3: Move games TIV, so GS to BB plan 2 died on day 1. I am in the "stuck with GS credit that needs to get transferred to BB" boat.

[quote name='Cheapskate']This might sound like a silly question, but do things like the 40% or 50% trade-in bonus also apply to videogame consoles, or just videogames?[/QUOTE]

Just video games.

[quote name='Cheapskate']This might sound like a silly question, but do things like the 40% or 50% trade-in bonus also apply to videogame consoles, or just videogames?[/QUOTE]

Just the software.

[quote name='nakanenui']Where is Southern California are you trading your games? I have not run into any CAGs yet, and I trade throughout Orange County.

GS stopped their B2G2 :ps2: sale so there went that goldmine. And BB dropped their :ps3: Move games TIV, so GS to BB plan 2 died on day 1. I am in the "stuck with GS credit that needs to get transferred to BB" boat.[/QUOTE]

I always trade at the Best Buy over in Orange. across the street from the Block,
If you ever happen to be over there and you see someone with about 21+ games that are all 3x multiples it's me. ;D

[quote name='person123']Traded in some games today @ BB went really fast and smooth, preordered GoW3 for 50% bonus. Found out I have to wait till I receive that thing in the mail for GamersClub Unlocked before I can get the additional 10% for games which sucks lol.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I did the same thing and they gave me the 10% bonus. They said the thing coming in the mail is a sticker to put on your rewards card and some other stuff. But I got the extra 10% on top the 50% today.

[quote name='nakanenui']GS stopped their B2G2 :ps2: sale so there went that goldmine. And BB dropped their :ps3: Move games TIV, so GS to BB plan 2 died on day 1. I am in the "stuck with GS credit that needs to get transferred to BB" boat.[/QUOTE]

Here is a few decent credit movers:

:360:The First Templar - Used 17.99 GS, 17 Best Buy
:wii: Dood's Big Adventure(Udraw game) Used 9.99 GS, 8.00 Best Buy
:wii: Kung fu Panda 2(Udraw game) Used 19.99 GS, 14.00 Best Buy
:wii: Trackmania Build to Race New 7.99 or Used 3.99 GS , Best Buy 10.00
:psp: Jikandia New 14.99 or Used 12.99 GS , Best Buy 13.00
:ds: Tropix Used 4.99 GS, Best Buy 7.00

Good luck moving that credit. :D

[quote name='Japakneez']I'm going to have to agree with Broseph Yeltsin here. App sucks last time i checked[/QUOTE]

yep. the app is wrong on a lot of prices. The BB guy helping me today said they had a bunch of trade ins do the same thing. They were cool and tried to go out of their way to try to get me the higher price, but in the end they said they would have to run it by support or something and it would take a week at least to figure it out. Luckily it was only one game. DJ Hero 2 showing up as $8 on app, $3 online.

[quote name='BattlehunterAlex']Here is a few decent credit movers:

:360:The First Templar - Used 17.99 GS, 17 Best Buy
:wii: Dood's Big Adventure(Udraw game) Used 9.99 GS, 8.00 Best Buy
:wii: Kung fu Panda 2(Udraw game) Used 19.99 GS, 14.00 Best Buy
:wii: Trackmania Build to Race New 7.99 or Used 3.99 GS , Best Buy 10.00
:psp: Jikandia New 14.99 or Used 12.99 GS , Best Buy 13.00
:ds: Tropix Used 4.99 GS, Best Buy 7.00

Good luck moving that credit. :D[/QUOTE]

awesome. thanks for that. I got GS credit I need to convert too.

[quote name='jbz']Hmm, I did the same thing and they gave me the 10% bonus. They said the thing coming in the mail is a sticker to put on your rewards card and some other stuff. But I got the extra 10% on top the 50% today.[/QUOTE]

Does your "unlocked" membership info pull up when trading in thereby giving the cashier an option to add the 10% bonus?

I'm trading in some games today and submitting the unlocked coupon I got in the mail so the answer would be really helpful.

TIA.

Thanks for sharing Jimmie. Wow crazy story. You stuck to your guns and got $250 out of it at least. That's a huge comp but the real downside is the whole ordeal in front of all of the employees. That'll stick out forever. It wasn't fair to you at all.

More likely she just doesn't know how to use their phones properly.

[quote name='jacknicklson']The unlocked info should pop up automatically just make sure they apply it and stack the promos.[/QUOTE]
Depends on the store. At mine, the computers would not let them apply it yet because it hadn't been processed in the system.

[quote name='spatenfloot']More likely she just doesn't know how to use their phones properly.[/QUOTE]

This is my guess. Dumb employee probably wasn't hitting "9" first to dial out.

[quote name='aznhero913']Does your "unlocked" membership info pull up when trading in thereby giving the cashier an option to add the 10% bonus?

I'm trading in some games today and submitting the unlocked coupon I got in the mail so the answer would be really helpful.

TIA.[/QUOTE]

I was told by the girl who sold me that she wasn't sure if you could look it up (or if it was visible when they did the trade-ins) and that there would be a sticker. Like anything though, I'm sure a simple override can fix it, which is why I have held on to my receipt saying that I bought the unlocked membership and will bring it in with me later today or tomorrow. If the membership hasn't "processed" yet I'll simply make the argument of, "So you sold me a membership and are now saying I can't use it?" but the girls who work at my local BB are pretty good about things and I can't imagine them giving me too much of an issue.

I got an email today saying welcome to the gamer's club unlocked membership though, so hopefully that means I'm all squared away in the system.

I went to BB yesterday and it took them forever to do thetrade in. My total was SUPPOSED to be $164, but it came up $597. The employee ALMOST gave me that amount, but called a manager over as he couldn't figure out what to do. Eventually, she just gave me a Gift CArd for the correct amount, basically outside the system. About 2 hours later, they called me back to say I have to come back in since they screwed up the trade in. He implied that I would get another Gift Card, but we will see. What a mess this process is....

I got the 50% and 10% bonus just by telling the trade-in rep my RZ number. If you have a good rep you will not need your GoW3 pre-order receipt with you.

Does the 40% extra w/ pre-order stack w/ the 30% for trading 3 or more games at one time? So If i trade in a bunch of games do I get 70% extra + 10% b/c i'm in the new gamer club?

[quote name='PublikDefender']Does the 40% extra w/ pre-order stack w/ the 30% for trading 3 or more games at one time? So If i trade in a bunch of games do I get 70% extra + 10% b/c i'm in the new gamer club?[/QUOTE]
It's either or bonus not both, those don't stack. The 10% from Gamers Club Unlocked stacks with other bonus though.

bh47 has started an FAQ in the first post. Looks like we will need to add to it.

PublikDefender, you can only get one TIV promo at a time. If you are a member of Gamers Club Unlocked you will get an additional 10% Bonus on the base value of your trade in (it works like gamestop).

[quote name='flagg1216']You do need to register them to use online at most places. However, most places such as gamefly or netflix where there will be recurring charges still do not accept them.[/QUOTE]

I just registered my pre-paid card at the site that was put up and was able to place an order at Gamefly and got a confirmation e-mail. Or have you received the same thing before and they eventually cancelled on you?

[quote name='boogie4114']I just registered my pre-paid card at the site that was put up and was able to place an order at Gamefly and got a confirmation e-mail. Or have you received the same thing before and they eventually cancelled on you?[/QUOTE]

It'll go through you will receive the games.

[quote name='Japakneez']bh47 has started an FAQ in the first post. Looks like we will need to add to it.

PublikDefender, you can only get one TIV promo at a time. If you are a member of Gamers Club Unlocked you will get an additional 10% Bonus on the base value of your trade in (it does not Stack like gamestop).[/QUOTE]

The 10% goes on top of the other bonus.

So if you trade 3+ and get an extra 30% .... say base TIV of $100 but $130 with 30% bonus the extra 10% goes on the $130 not $100.

[quote name='JungleRot']The 10% goes on top of the other bonus.

So if you trade 3+ and get an extra 30% .... say base TIV of $100 but $130 with 30% bonus the extra 10% goes on the $130 not $100.[/QUOTE]
No, you just get 40% instead of 30.

[quote name='JungleRot']The 10% goes on top of the other bonus.

So if you trade 3+ and get an extra 30% .... say base TIV of $100 but $130 with 30% bonus the extra 10% goes on the $130 not $100.[/QUOTE]

I made a mistake in my post, it does work like gamestop. I did a $28 trade and it looked like this...

$28 Base
$2.8 10% of base
$14 50% of base

$44.80 is the value i received. According to what you are saying it would have been $46.20.

[quote name='Japakneez']I made a mistake in my post, it does work like gamestop. But i'm pretty sure you are off. I did a $28 trade and it looked like this...

$28 Base
$2.8 10% of base
$14 50% of base

$44.80 is the value i received. According to what you are saying it would have been $46.20.[/QUOTE]

It should be the advertised bonus first and then the 10% on top of the TOTAL.

This is how I have been getting it done at the store and one of the reasons why I bought in the club in the first place. It could be that the employees are doing it wrong either yours or mine but hopefully yours...:)

[quote name='JungleRot']It should be the advertised bonus first and then the 10% on top of the TOTAL.

This is how I have been getting it done at the store and one of the reasons why I bought in the club in the first place. It could be that the employees are doing it wrong either yours or mine but hopefully yours...:)[/QUOTE]

While it'd be nice. That would have to be a mistake. Even BB wouldn't be dumb enough to add 10% ON TOP of the base+promo. (Right? Right?)

[quote name='confoosious']While it'd be nice. That would have to be a mistake. Even BB wouldn't be dumb enough to add 10% ON TOP of the base+promo. (Right? Right?)[/QUOTE]

I don't know if that's what Best Buy means to happen, but 10% on top of base+promo is EXACTLY what their associate told me yesterday. He even gave me the example of if Best Buy decided to run an extra 50% promo for trades towards Battlefield 3, I'd get an extra 10% on top of that.

The associate I met yesterday was very chatty, and detailed how Best Buy was aggressively pursuing GameStop. He claimed Best Buy had made overtures to take over GameStop (with the intent of allowing GameStop to function pretty much as a subsidiary), but GameStop refused.

As a publicly traded company, I don't see how GameStop could prevent a takeover if Best Buy really went all out and made an attempt to buy up a majority of the stock, but maybe there are certain key shareholders who have a majority and won't sell.

[quote name='lpburk2']I don't know if that's what Best Buy means to happen, but 10% on top of base+promo is EXACTLY what their associate told me yesterday. He even gave me the example of if Best Buy decided to run an extra 50% promo for trades towards Battlefield 3, I'd get an extra 10% on top of that.

The associate I met yesterday was very chatty, and detailed how Best Buy was aggressively pursuing GameStop. He claimed Best Buy had made overtures to take over GameStop (with the intent of allowing GameStop to function pretty much as a subsidiary), but GameStop refused.

As a publicly traded company, I don't see how GameStop could prevent a takeover if Best Buy really went all out and made an attempt to buy up a majority of the stock, but maybe there are certain key shareholders who have a majority and won't sell.[/QUOTE]

My trades on Monday were listed like this.
Base X.XX
Promo value (50% of base)
RZGC (Unlocked) (10% of base)
Value/Card X.XX

So I did not get the 10% on top of the value after the promo. I am going to assume this will YYMV until BB figures it all out.

i preordered the Gears of War 3 about a month ago. I want to know when and how will i receive the baird DLC code. Will i get it on the receipt when i pick it up or will it be in my email on RELEASE day or when i pick up the game first then i get the email?

[quote name='confoosious']While it'd be nice. That would have to be a mistake. Even BB wouldn't be dumb enough to add 10% ON TOP of the base+promo. (Right? Right?)[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:# No of course BB would not make a mistake ;)

But the BB employee explained the program to me like I posted it and I have used it just like that. If it is a mistake it is to late for them to change it for me they have to honor it now since I have on record the way they applied it to my trades. They can't back out now.

I am like the other poster who said that they had a very engaging employee who described it in great detail that is to say the 10% bonus goes on the total. Another employee and this one have honored it just that way.

I would suggest those who are not getting this talk to a manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back