Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='smashngrab77']I have been on hold for 73 minutes 38 seconds and counting. Some POS answered and was like hold on one second and put me back on hold at the 38 minute mark. I am ending this call and promptly taking the console and game back to the store. fuck bestbuy[/QUOTE]

Wanna let us know what happened..?

[quote name='smashngrab77']I have been on hold for 73 minutes 38 seconds and counting. Some POS answered and was like hold on one second and put me back on hold at the 38 minute mark. I am ending this call and promptly taking the console and game back to the store. fuck bestbuy[/QUOTE]

On hold for 40 mins, some Shawntee black chick answers and fucking puts me on hold for another 40. And I get her again, rofl.

1hr30min hold total so far, and she finally transfers me to someone else. And yes, I fucking bitched her out for redirecting me to nowhere the first time.

EDIT: And I get transferred back to general customer service. Who then tells me they'll transfer me to gaming. Amazing. I'm just gonna PM Mariel, this is bull.

I actually ended up getting my code the day before Gears was released.
hadn't even payed it off.

but i have yet too receive the Madden Codes, or my Resistance 3 codes.

This shit better not happen when Arkham City comes out >.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']I actually ended up getting my code the day before Gears was released.

In order to get the 40% trade bonus today for pre-ordering something I ended up having to cancel my original Uncharted 3 pre-order in order to just end up pre-ordering it AGAIN, since there really is NOTHING coming out that I desperately want.

So after re-preordering Uncharted 3 and finally(hopefully) getting the whole Gamer's Club Unlocked mess fixed(they scanned the Gamers' Club pamphlet barcode for the $14.99 one this time YAY) I made out with $36.20 for my copies of Singularity and Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions for PS3. Not bad.

So now I have about $52 in BB gc's that I may just convert over to Kindle/AMZ cards next time I'm at a BB since I'm sure they'll have some sorta deal with a credit or something on Uncharted 3 at least.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wonder if they'd let me trade in games towards my Uncharted 3 pre-order I already did cuz there isn't shit I want that's coming out anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

It is my understanding that if you do an in-store pre-order they currently do not have the capability to keep adding funds to diminish the remaining balance besides the initial $5.00

Via the BB.com website you must pre-order a game in full.

I have asked this many times in-store and still get the same above replies.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']In order to get the 40% trade bonus today for pre-ordering something I ended up having to cancel my original Uncharted 3 pre-order in order to just end up pre-ordering it AGAIN, since there really is NOTHING coming out that I desperately want.
[/QUOTE]
Whenever I need to get the extra 40%/50% for trade-ins, I just pre-order something that's being released in the coming week and then cancel the pre-order. I don't thing I've ever bought a video game at BB to keep.

Base trade in values today:

Blue Dragon (3 discs) $3.00
Lost Odyssey (4 discs) $5.00
Crackdown $2.00
Crackdown 2 $4.00
MMA: Mixed Martial Arts $6.00
Shaun White Snowboarding $3.00
XBX360 - Mass Effect 2 (2 discs) $6.00
Dead Rising 2 $12.00
Call of Duty: Black Ops $23.00
Total: $64.00
After 40% TIC, made it $89.60. Put my $5 towards Batman AC and have $84.60 on the gift card. Thinking of blowing it all on MS points LOL.

[quote name='klimb22']Whenever I need to get the extra 40%/50% for trade-ins, I just pre-order something that's being released in the coming week and then cancel the pre-order. I don't thing I've ever bought a video game at BB to keep.[/QUOTE]
Only problem with that is that BB has started to track people's returns by requiring your license when you go to return something. If you reach some arbitrary limit they've set within the year, then no more returns for you, even if you have a receipt.

I guess they started it to crack down on people buying and returning too much. I can't say I blame them, but for someone who frequently gets buyer's remorse like I do this is a major league pita.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']I actually ended up getting my code the day before Gears was released.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Only problem with that is that BB has started to track people's returns by requiring your license when you go to return something. If you reach some arbitrary limit they've set within the year, then no more returns for you, even if you have a receipt.

I guess they started it to crack down on people buying and returning too much. I can't say I blame them, but for someone who frequently gets buyer's remorse like I do this is a major league pita.[/QUOTE]
I have heard about this "return limit", but does anyone have any concrete proof that it exists? Obviously I have not hit this limit as I just canceled my GOW3 pre-order today with no problems? Just off the top of my head I have made over 2 dozen returns this year. The majority of those were after the new ID policy.

[quote name='klimb22']I have heard about this "return limit", but does anyone have any concrete proof that it exists? Obviously I have not hit this limit as I just canceled my GOW3 pre-order today with no problems? Just off the top of my head I have made over 2 dozen returns this year. The majority of those were after the new ID policy.[/QUOTE]

I have made roughly the same number of returns and yet to have a problem. I am guessing the policy is more for people who buy and return a tv or something and then repeat the cycle. I know when I worked at Best Buy people would do that all the time. I know if they say anything to me I will be pissed. If the stuff I return is sealed what does it really matter? I don't think they can say much about the pre-orders either. If they aren't putting new releases on sale etc. is it that hard to believe I want to get the game somewhere else?

So I've not been in to trade a game since the new gamers club thing started. For some reason it doesn't look like many people are reporting anything about getting the 10% bonus and whether it's an issue or anything. So, uh, are people getting the 10% on top of the other bonus or is BB being BB and making that impossible?

[quote name='DerClaw']So I've not been in to trade a game since the new gamers club thing started. For some reason it doesn't look like many people are reporting anything about getting the 10% bonus and whether it's an issue or anything. So, uh, are people getting the 10% on top of the other bonus or is BB being BB and making that impossible?[/QUOTE]

There was tons about it when the program started.

I got mine with no issue at all, some have had trouble. The biggest issue has been that people who used the coupon that came with a subscription to @Gamer from before 9/11 were rang up improperly when they redeemed it.

It takes a little while for the membership to show, but other than that they just have to mark the extra 10% when they do the trade in.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']There was tons about it when the program started.

I got mine with no issue at all, some have had trouble. The biggest issue has been that people who used the coupon that came with a subscription to @Gamer from before 9/11 were rang up improperly when they redeemed it.

It takes a little while for the membership to show, but other than that they just have to mark the extra 10% when they do the trade in.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Figured that was the way it should be, but I was confused, since nobody was complaining about it and that would mean BB did something right and .... well... that seems just like that couldn't have happened.

I'll need to get some games and do some flipping this week with the 50% bonus trade in.

[quote name='DerClaw']So I've not been in to trade a game since the new gamers club thing started. For some reason it doesn't look like many people are reporting anything about getting the 10% bonus and whether it's an issue or anything. So, uh, are people getting the 10% on top of the other bonus or is BB being BB and making that impossible?[/QUOTE]
Worked fine for me. Signed up for "Unlocked" on the first day (9/12), traded in 3 Move Heroes, got 50% bonus for GoW3 pre-order and the 10% unlocked bonus.

The only problems I have read are from folks who signed up and were told they could not get the 10% until they received their unlocked packet/stickers. I was able to get my bonus that same day.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Only problem with that is that BB has started to track people's returns by requiring your license when you go to return something. If you reach some arbitrary limit they've set within the year, then no more returns for you, even if you have a receipt.

I guess they started it to crack down on people buying and returning too much. I can't say I blame them, but for someone who frequently gets buyer's remorse like I do this is a major league pita.[/QUOTE]

I call complete bs unless you can provide proof. I don't think the BBB or anyone else including legal governing bodies would allow a store to sell someone products and then void company policies just for them to prevent returns. To avoid that, they'd have to refuse to sell to them and then you're talking about a PR nightmare especially if the person isn't white and middle class. There is no limit and no worries. Now they could refuse your trade ins, that's an entirely different issue but they're not going to refuse a proper return.

Damnit, I just traded in $300+ worth of games I got from gamefly for extra 40%+10% credit yesterday, I wish I had known about the 50% extra TIV earlier. Argh $30+ down the drain. Where do people get that info anyways?

[quote name='klimb22']I have heard about this "return limit", but does anyone have any concrete proof that it exists? Obviously I have not hit this limit as I just canceled my GOW3 pre-order today with no problems? Just off the top of my head I have made over 2 dozen returns this year. The majority of those were after the new ID policy.[/QUOTE]

We discussed it in our store meeting. System will deny the return and give out a phone number to call, from what I understand it only applies to big items.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']We discussed it in our store meeting. System will deny the return and give out a phone number to call, from what I understand it only applies to big items.[/QUOTE]
So no "hard" limit or price point? Nothing in writing for the consumer?

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']We discussed it in our store meeting. System will deny the return and give out a phone number to call, from what I understand it only applies to big items.[/QUOTE]

This makes sense. If someone is routinely returning bit ticket items (TV's, Computers/laptops, etc.) than something is likely going on. Especially if said items are open.

If all of your returns are smaller, unopened items than BB would simply end up wasting a lot of time flagging legitimate customers.

[quote name='ijustw1n']I call complete bs unless you can provide proof. I don't think the BBB or anyone else including legal governing bodies would allow a store to sell someone products and then void company policies just for them to prevent returns. To avoid that, they'd have to refuse to sell to them and then you're talking about a PR nightmare especially if the person isn't white and middle class. There is no limit and no worries. Now they could refuse your trade ins, that's an entirely different issue but they're not going to refuse a proper return.[/QUOTE]

well, you're wrong.

[quote name='ijustw1n']I call complete bs unless you can provide proof. I don't think the BBB or anyone else including legal governing bodies would allow a store to sell someone products and then void company policies just for them to prevent returns. To avoid that, they'd have to refuse to sell to them and then you're talking about a PR nightmare especially if the person isn't white and middle class. There is no limit and no worries. Now they could refuse your trade ins, that's an entirely different issue but they're not going to refuse a proper return.[/QUOTE]

While I was picking up my gow3 preorder there was a black woman at the register next to me at the customer service desk. She was trying to return a laptop and at first they refused to give her cash back (because she paid with cash, but their policy is to "mail a check back") and after she argued for a bit, the guy just said that he was refusing the return at all and a manager backed him up saying that they can refuse returns for any reason.

I don't think any of this is legal, but legal for you and me is a lot different from legal for a corporation.

[quote name='DerClaw']While I was picking up my gow3 preorder there was a black woman at the register next to me at the customer service desk. She was trying to return a laptop and at first they refused to give her cash back (because she paid with cash, but their policy is to "mail a check back") and after she argued for a bit, the guy just said that he was refusing the return at all and a manager backed him up saying that they can refuse returns for any reason.

I don't think any of this is legal, but legal for you and me is a lot different from legal for a corporation.[/QUOTE]

Is "for any reason" in their policy for returns?

Any way, they have a reason to refuse her return. She refuses to accept payment by check, which is what they do on large amounts of cash. Really shouldn't pay with cash for such large purchases unless you're ok with waiting on a check if you return and don't have a credit card for added protection.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Is "for any reason" in their policy for returns?

Any way, they have a reason to refuse her return. She refuses to accept payment by check, which is what they do on large amounts of cash. Really shouldn't pay with cash for such large purchases unless you're ok with waiting on a check if you return and don't have a credit card for added protection.[/QUOTE]
"However, when the item was purchased with cash or with a debit card without a major credit card logo for more than $500, or with a check for more than $250 the refund will be in the form of a check mailed to you within 10 business days."

"Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return." Right off the return policy page.

Speaking of using cash on big purchases i once had someone pay for a desktop, laptop, monitor and some other computer stuff and the total was like 3700 or something. He paid is 20s....it was black friday. I must have counted the money 10 times since he said 'I think that's enough'. One of the few times I had the 'I give up on life' face.

It's funny though because anytime I give someone a face like 'what if you got mugged with this?' they have some crazy overly complex explanation of why they only use cash.

[quote name='DerClaw']While I was picking up my gow3 preorder there was a black woman at the register next to me at the customer service desk. She was trying to return a laptop and at first they refused to give her cash back (because she paid with cash, but their policy is to "mail a check back") and after she argued for a bit, the guy just said that he was refusing the return at all and a manager backed him up saying that they can refuse returns for any reason.

I don't think any of this is legal, but legal for you and me is a lot different from legal for a corporation.[/QUOTE]

oh stop. legal is legal. illegal is illegal. An individual selling an item can dictate return policies the same as a corporation.

A store can set its own return policies as long as it posts them conspicuously. If the consumer fails to read them, that's not the store's fault.

In practice though they mostly just let anyone return anything unless/even if it's blatantly shady.

Not to change the topic and I apologize if this was previously addressed. I saw that they have a special for an extra 50% on your trade in if your put that money towards preordering Rage/NBA 2K12. Would this promo combine with the trade 3 games in and get an extra 30% special?

[quote name='jacknicklson']Promos will not stack, only the gamer's club unlocked 10% off will stack.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, didn't think you could, but it would have been awesome if it worked like that.

[quote name='musicjunkie']"However, when the item was purchased with cash or with a debit card without a major credit card logo for more than $500, or with a check for more than $250 the refund will be in the form of a check mailed to you within 10 business days."

"Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return." Right off the return policy page.

Speaking of using cash on big purchases i once had someone pay for a desktop, laptop, monitor and some other computer stuff and the total was like 3700 or something. He paid is 20s....it was black friday. I must have counted the money 10 times since he said 'I think that's enough'. One of the few times I had the 'I give up on life' face.

It's funny though because anytime I give someone a face like 'what if you got mugged with this?' they have some crazy overly complex explanation of why they only use cash.[/QUOTE]

Oh I knew it was in their in policy. I just wanted him to check for himself ;)

I'm not necessarily worried about mugging, but I do worry more about getting a bad product and trouble getting a proper replacement or shitty warranty. That's where a credit card purchase can be handy. I find it so funny she got so upset that she got denied a refund.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Oh I knew it was in their in policy. I just wanted him to check for himself ;)

I'm not necessarily worried about mugging, but I do worry more about getting a bad product and trouble getting a proper replacement or shitty warranty. That's where a credit card purchase can be handy. I find it so funny she got so upset that she got denied a refund.[/QUOTE]

Well, if I had paid cash for something like that (which seems insane to do, but whatever) and then when I went to return it they wanted to mail me a check, I'd be pretty pissed. I have no idea where the policy is in store -- I know how to find it online and am the type of consumer that looks at such things before making purchases -- but I doubt most people know that policy. If you'd asked me what the policy is (and didn't let me look it up) I'd tell you that it's probably "in kind" such that you'd get cash for cash payments, etc. I mean, it's her fault for not looking it up, I guess, but it's also a strange policy (which I'd question the legality of), I think.

[quote name='musicjunkie']"However, when the item was purchased with cash or with a debit card without a major credit card logo for more than $500, or with a check for more than $250 the refund will be in the form of a check mailed to you within 10 business days."

It's funny though because anytime I give someone a face like 'what if you got mugged with this?' they have some crazy overly complex explanation of why they only use cash.[/QUOTE]
The reason why someone would only use cash, in my experience, is because they are probably getting it illegally or their credit is so bad that no one is willing to give them a credit card but it's probably the former. Even if someone didn't have a credit card, chances are they should probably have a bank account unless they are doing some shady business, and you don't have to report your earnings in cash because there is no paper trail. So if there is no paper trail, nothing will really flag the IRS and you can continue doing your dirty business until you get busted.

Not sure if anyone has said this already, but one could get Driver: SF for $30 on Sunday (w/ @Gamer coupon), play it, and trade it in with a preorder bonus and get about ~$45 credit back. Assuming of course the trade in base value doesn't tank next week.

[quote name='DerClaw']Well, if I had paid cash for something like that (which seems insane to do, but whatever) and then when I went to return it they wanted to mail me a check, I'd be pretty pissed. I have no idea where the policy is in store -- I know how to find it online and am the type of consumer that looks at such things before making purchases -- but I doubt most people know that policy. If you'd asked me what the policy is (and didn't let me look it up) I'd tell you that it's probably "in kind" such that you'd get cash for cash payments, etc. I mean, it's her fault for not looking it up, I guess, but it's also a strange policy (which I'd question the legality of), I think.[/QUOTE]

whats with you and legality? Everything best buy does is illegal?

Plenty of companies return you a check if the refund amount is above a certain number. It keeps track of shady returns and creates a paper trail.

In fact, the policy probably helps "the law."

[quote name='confoosious']whats with you and legality? Everything best buy does is illegal?

Plenty of companies return you a check if the refund amount is above a certain number. It keeps track of shady returns and creates a paper trail.

In fact, the policy probably helps "the law."[/QUOTE]
That and it means that they dont need to keep a large amount of cash on hand at the store where any old employee or robber can get to it.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Not sure if anyone has said this already, but one could get Driver: SF for $30 on Sunday (w/ @Gamer coupon), play it, and trade it in with a preorder bonus and get about ~$45 credit back. Assuming of course the trade in base value doesn't tank next week.[/QUOTE]

It most likely will tank just like Hunted DF did a few weeks back. Thank you for the heads up though. Perhaps BB will miss this one.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']How far and how fast did Hunted DF fall? I'm debating on whether i want to risk it to play it. Think I can at least break even?[/QUOTE]

Buy 3, trade in 2, which pays for the one you are keeping to play, then whatever the trade in value is, is pure gravy for you. Durr.

just got back from a trip to best buy. i already pre ordered mw3 and traded in some games for the 40% extra promo about a week ago. went in today and traded in call of juarez the cartel (which you can flip from family video $20-> best buy $30.80) the associate wouldnt add the aditional 40% trade in to my mw3 pre order and was being a douche about it and i was in a rush so i just preordered saints row 3 to shut him up.

so i guess if any of you are planing on doing the 40% extra deal trade all your games in 1 shot to avoid this hassle... no big deal tho i can always just return the preorder and get my 5 bucks back at customer service if i dont want to preorder saints row 3 after all.. how fast do you guys think that the price of saints row 3 will drop just wondering cuz i got burned by the whole preorder fallout new vegas bullshit hahaha that games priced tanked so fast

[quote name='exaznkid']The reason why someone would only use cash, in my experience, is because they are probably getting it illegally or their credit is so bad that no one is willing to give them a credit card but it's probably the former. Even if someone didn't have a credit card, chances are they should probably have a bank account unless they are doing some shady business, and you don't have to report your earnings in cash because there is no paper trail. So if there is no paper trail, nothing will really flag the IRS and you can continue doing your dirty business until you get busted.[/QUOTE]
I used to ALWAYS pay for my purchases in cash. Why? Because I prefer cash, which is something tangible I can hold in my hands and that has value to pay for something I want.

Why do people suddenly think it's 'shady' if someone comes in with a good sized chunk of cash to pay for a larger purchase? There are people who just don't trust banks as far as they can spit. I myself am one of these people to some extent. One wrong number or one wrong button press or a glitch/virus and POOF....my money's gone and then the onus is ON ME to prove what I had before the fuck up just so I can get MY money back? fuck that.

girl told me trade 3 get 30% was dead, so i wanted a bonus and plan on getting god of war collection/ico collection tuesday so i preordered ico. i just checked online tho and still there. ill tell them next time. i even said thought good til oct and they said yeah same, but didnt show it, odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back