Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Donut2922']Not sure if this is going to be a new thing but a cashier at my local BB just denied me in trying to buy a VISA gift card with my trade-in credit. He said, "we're not supposed to be selling these cards with that" as he was referring to my BB gift card.

I bought one yesterday just fine actually at a different BB. Hopefully my incident was just an isolated one and not a new corporate thing that is going to start being enforced nation wide.... i suppose if it is it was only a matter of time it was going to happen.[/QUOTE]

I imagine it'll be YMMV to some extent with some employees worried they'll get in trouble. You can buy anything with a gift card, including gift cards (if you ever ask customer service to combine all your gift cards what they do is add up the individual totals and sell you a new gift card for the combined total and "pay for it" with the individual gift cards). Since the card itself states that it is good for merchandise or services you could probably argue your way through with a manager (who's only argument would have to be that a Visa gift card is neither a product or service, but of course then what the hell is it?). If they are really pressing it and want to know why you want a visa gift card it may not hurt to just "be honest" and say that you want the visa gift card because you want the reward zone points from your purchases. I'd actually be pretty close to be a silver member if I had been doing this myself, wish I had.

[quote name='Donut2922']Not sure if this is going to be a new thing but a cashier at my local BB just denied me in trying to buy a VISA gift card with my trade-in credit. He said, "we're not supposed to be selling these cards with that" as he was referring to my BB gift card.

I bought one yesterday just fine actually at a different BB. Hopefully my incident was just an isolated one and not a new corporate thing that is going to start being enforced nation wide.... i suppose if it is it was only a matter of time it was going to happen.[/QUOTE]

I've had people say that before, but I usually press it and ultimately get to buy them. You probably did the right thing though in not pressing it, just buy them later. Gift cards usually specifically say if you can't buy other gift cards and things like that on them -- my guess is that they are required to put such things on the gift cards, so at least until they change the language on the gift cards, you should be able to buy visa cards.

I will keep this in mind though, since I've got kind of a lot of BB credit at the moment, so I should get some of that converted over the next few days.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']disc only trades brah[/QUOTE]

wait. wait. they take disc only trades? can we discuss that for the next 7 pages, please.

[quote name='fmwross2']Do they take "not for resale" copies like the Tiger '12 that came with my Move system?[/QUOTE]

They do, they'll take the whole thing. Same with games from collectors editions.

[quote name='DerClaw']wait. wait. they take disc only trades? can we discuss that for the next 7 pages, please.[/QUOTE]

Only after someone sends me a detailed, color coded, list of games that i can buy at gamestop and flip too best buy and after we spend the next ten pages discussing if i can use kindle cards for regular amazon purchaces.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I imagine it'll be YMMV to some extent with some employees worried they'll get in trouble. You can buy anything with a gift card, including gift cards (if you ever ask customer service to combine all your gift cards what they do is add up the individual totals and sell you a new gift card for the combined total and "pay for it" with the individual gift cards). Since the card itself states that it is good for merchandise or services you could probably argue your way through with a manager (who's only argument would have to be that a Visa gift card is neither a product or service, but of course then what the hell is it?). If they are really pressing it and want to know why you want a visa gift card it may not hurt to just "be honest" and say that you want the visa gift card because you want the reward zone points from your purchases. I'd actually be pretty close to be a silver member if I had been doing this myself, wish I had.[/QUOTE]

I don't get this as I've brought it up numerous times but I don't get rewardzone points for using their pre-paid Visa card. I'm wondering how others are able to or are getting it to work unless it varies state to state or something because for the life of me I would like to get points for using those pre-paid cards at Bestbuy.

That's why I always carry the receipt from the last time I purchased one. So I can say "oh really" and whip it out to prove to them that they do.
[quote name='BudzMcGee']You can buy anything with a gift card, including gift cards (if you ever ask customer service to combine all your gift cards what they do is add up the individual totals and sell you a new gift card for the combined total and "pay for it" with the individual gift cards). Since the card itself states that it is good for merchandise or services you could probably argue your way through with a manager (who's only argument would have to be that a Visa gift card is neither a product or service, but of course then what the hell is it?). If they are really pressing it and want to know why you want a visa gift card it may not hurt to just "be honest" and say that you want the visa gift card because you want the reward zone points from your purchases. I'd actually be pretty close to be a silver member if I had been doing this myself, wish I had.[/QUOTE]
A faster way to get silver premier is to do what you stated (bold portion). ;)

Before anyone replies with "you don't get RZ points for purchases with BB gift cards" 1) do the above, 2)either give them your RZ info during the transaction or add the receipt on the RZ site and 3) check your points and purchases a few days later. Then respond. If it doesn't work for you than I am extremely lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='klimb22']That's why I always carry the receipt from the last time I purchased one. So I can say "oh really" and whip it out to prove to them that they do.

Before anyone replies with "you don't get RZ points for purchases with BB gift cards" 1) do the above, 2)either give them your RZ info during the transaction or add the receipt on the RZ site and 3) check your points and purchases a few days later. Then respond. If it doesn't work for you than I am extremely lucky.[/QUOTE]

You're wrong, paying w/ GC alway showed up in RZ as 0 point.
Haven't use prepaid Visa yet but I'm assume it would count for points since its just like any other debit cards

[quote name='klimb22']That's why I always carry the receipt from the last time I purchased one. So I can say "oh really" and whip it out to prove to them that they do.

Before anyone replies with "you don't get RZ points for purchases with BB gift cards" 1) do the above, 2)either give them your RZ info during the transaction or add the receipt on the RZ site and 3) check your points and purchases a few days later. Then respond. If it doesn't work for you than I am extremely lucky.[/QUOTE]

I have hundreds of purchases on my BB account with a gift card and occasionally it will give me like 5 points (on a 100+ dollar purchase) but for the most part it is all zero'd out. It is quite confusing to me how random my RZ account is -- not to mention how some things seem to be "standard" in some accounts and random in other accounts.

[quote name='kouleefoh']I know Walmart used to let me buy Visa card with their gc, then about a month later when I tried, they no longer let me. SO I wouldn't be surprised if it is a corporate change. Good thing is we still got Kindle card right? :D[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping it's not a real change because what we do with Kindle cards is no different. The cashier that rang me up today has rung me up plenty of times with Kindle cards too.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I imagine it'll be YMMV to some extent with some employees worried they'll get in trouble. You can buy anything with a gift card, including gift cards (if you ever ask customer service to combine all your gift cards what they do is add up the individual totals and sell you a new gift card for the combined total and "pay for it" with the individual gift cards). Since the card itself states that it is good for merchandise or services you could probably argue your way through with a manager (who's only argument would have to be that a Visa gift card is neither a product or service, but of course then what the hell is it?). If they are really pressing it and want to know why you want a visa gift card it may not hurt to just "be honest" and say that you want the visa gift card because you want the reward zone points from your purchases. I'd actually be pretty close to be a silver member if I had been doing this myself, wish I had.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've been doing the VISA thing for a few months now but I didn't want to push it and draw any attention to what our BB/VISA loophole was.

[quote name='DerClaw']I've had people say that before, but I usually press it and ultimately get to buy them. You probably did the right thing though in not pressing it, just buy them later. Gift cards usually specifically say if you can't buy other gift cards and things like that on them -- my guess is that they are required to put such things on the gift cards, so at least until they change the language on the gift cards, you should be able to buy visa cards.

I will keep this in mind though, since I've got kind of a lot of BB credit at the moment, so I should get some of that converted over the next few days.[/QUOTE]

Yeah at this point, I'm guessing it was just a YMMV thing. The same cashier has rung me up for Kindle cards before so I'm debating whether I need to convert my credit at other times/places.

[quote name='tepro']You're wrong, paying w/ GC alway showed up in RZ as 0 point.
Haven't use prepaid Visa yet but I'm assume it would count for points since its just like any other debit cards[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DerClaw']I have hundreds of purchases on my BB account with a gift card and occasionally it will give me like 5 points (on a 100+ dollar purchase) but for the most part it is all zero'd out. It is quite confusing to me how random my RZ account is -- not to mention how some things seem to be "standard" in some accounts and random in other accounts.[/QUOTE]
I'm wrong?? Please read what I quoted/bolded from BudzMcGee's post. I said nothing about "regular" purchases with GCs. I guess Donut2922 has a point of not drawing attention to things so I won't speak on it again.

The 3 copies per game rule, does that apply to the same console and is that per household or ID? What about Reward Zone card?

It's 3 copies per console per person and I believe it's per household. So if you had 6 copies of a game(3 360, 3 PS3), you could trade in those six, but then if your wife/gf/mother/father/etc wanted to then supposedly they wouldn't allow it.

From the BB trade in value search. It's listed right underneath the search bar.

Limit: We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED.

Now if someone else in your family or a friend has a different address than you, then it's game on.;)

[quote name='brauma']The 3 copies per game rule, does that apply to the same console and is that per household or ID? What about Reward Zone card?[/QUOTE]

They track by your driver's license. Stores even fingerprint you although not every store does.

Went to BB tonight and bought and flipped 3 copies of driver. Just wanted to see what's up and figured that the 30ish dollars would pay to "unlock" and whatever preorder I did. Everything seemed to work fine and I'm signed up now (hopefully). Got a free copy of the magazine (not sure what good that does me at the moment, though it was nice to have the guy know what he was doing).

Preodered Rage and got the 40% plus 10% for the "unlocked" (yes I know it would be 50 + 10 tomorrow, but I figure Driver will probably drop tomorrow morning too).

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, the Driver coupons had to be overriden in order to work -- not sure if that will be the case tomorrow when it's officially on sale, but that's kind of a bummer. Wasn't a hassle, just wish it worked right in case I want to buy more.

[quote name='brauma']The 3 copies per game rule, does that apply to the same console and is that per household or ID? What about Reward Zone card?[/QUOTE]
YMMV, but I have always been able to trade in more than 3 of the same title/same platform at the same store, albeit different days. Just recently about 12 LEGO Star Wars III and a whole bunch of titles this year (Disney Epic Mickey, Kirby Epic Yarn, etc). I have also done more than 3 in the same day, but different stores. Most recently Move Heroes. Like others (including BB employees) have stated here on CAG there is nothing that pops up on the in-store trade-in system that says "hey, this guy already traded in 3 of these titles for this platform"

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's 3 copies per console per person and I believe it's per household. So if you had 6 copies of a game(3 360, 3 PS3), you could trade in those six, but then if your wife/gf/mother/father/etc wanted to then supposedly they wouldn't allow it.

From the BB trade in value search. It's listed right underneath the search bar.

Now if someone else in your family or a friend has a different address than you, then it's game on.;)[/QUOTE]
It seems, at least for me and the stores I trade-in at, that the same address doesn't matter either. I needed the wifey to help move some of those Epic Mickey and Kirby games earlier this year and we were successful trading in at the same store on the same day.
[quote name='Donut2922']They track by your driver's license. Stores even fingerprint you although not every store does.[/QUOTE]
^This seem like the reasonable answer. The fingerprinting is per state and has to do with pawn shop laws. We don't have that here in MD.

[quote name='klimb22']
^This seem like the reasonable answer. The fingerprinting is per state and has to do with pawn shop laws. We don't have that here in MD.[/QUOTE]

It isn't even per state, it is per county. I regularly trade at 2 Best Buy's that are only about 5 miles apart (but different counties). One just requires a signature on the paper printout at the end. The other gets your fingerprint, copies your driver's license, takes a picture, has you sign on an electronic pad, then sign again on the paper printout :roll:.

Yeah Ill be honest. I tried to "test" the 3 per limit at my local Best Buy and had no issue.

I think I traded in like 7 God of War 3s at the same Best Buy over different days when it was 20$ tiv. No one said anything to me. I think the 3 limit is a scare tactic. Either that or they will eventually crack down on our accounts.

[quote name='io']It isn't even per state, it is per county. I regularly trade at 2 Best Buy's that are only about 5 miles apart (but different counties). One just requires a signature on the paper printout at the end. The other gets your fingerprint, copies your driver's license, takes a picture, has you sign on an electronic pad, then sign again on the paper printout :roll:.[/QUOTE]
Ok thanks. I'm just glad I don't have to go through all that. If it was required here I probably wouldn't do it at all.
[quote name='xDerekRx']Yeah Ill be honest. I tried to "test" the 3 per limit at my local Best Buy and had no issue.

I think I traded in like 7 God of War 3s at the same Best Buy over different days when it was 20$ tiv. No one said anything to me. I think the 3 limit is a scare tactic. Either that or they will eventually crack down on our accounts.[/QUOTE]
Has anyone actually seen this "3 per" rule in writing or on the system in-store? I have only seen it on BB's Dealtree site.

[quote name='xDerekRx']Yeah Ill be honest. I tried to "test" the 3 per limit at my local Best Buy and had no issue.

I think I traded in like 7 God of War 3s at the same Best Buy over different days when it was 20$ tiv. No one said anything to me. I think the 3 limit is a scare tactic. Either that or they will eventually crack down on our accounts.[/QUOTE]
It probably is a scare tactic, but all it'd take is one of the junior detectives(like the jackoff questioning my fine PS2 sports game coaster collection I traded in fresh off buying em at GS;)) to get a lil too nosy and try to get your account investigated/flagged and WHAMO....banhammer.:roll:

I mean, I guess I kinda understand them not wanting their employer to go under from everyone dumping tons of worthless shit on them that they'll never be able to offload even via a fire sale. But there are other retail jobs out there that they could pretend to give a shit at and do less work than they do now at BB.

So why give a flying fuck where I got/why I have 3 copies of every sports game for PS2, dumbass? Just scan my games in, make me sign my name and get me on my way and not have it take an hour longer than it usually does(and it takes on average about 30-45 minutes for a handful of games still).:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It probably is a scare tactic, but all it'd take is one of the junior detectives(like the jackoff questioning my fine PS2 sports game coaster collection I traded in fresh off buying em at GS;)) to get a lil too nosy and try to get your account investigated/flagged and WHAMO....banhammer.:roll:

I mean, I guess I kinda understand them not wanting their employer to go under from everyone dumping tons of worthless shit on them that they'll never be able to offload even via a fire sale. But there are other retail jobs out there that they could pretend to give a shit at and do less work than they do now at BB.

So why give a flying fuck where I got/why I have 3 copies of every sports game for PS2, dumbass? Just scan my games in, make me sign my name and get me on my way and not have it take an hour longer than it usually does(and it takes on average about 30-45 minutes for a handful of games still).:roll:[/QUOTE]

I was hoping the procedure would get better with unlocked. I have no idea why they make the clerk put in the address and all that shit every time. I mean, do it once, confirm that the ID matches the RZ stuff, if you want, but what's the point of making them put it all in every time.

[quote name='DerClaw']I was hoping the procedure would get better with unlocked. I have no idea why they make the clerk put in the address and all that shit every time. I mean, do it once, confirm that the ID matches the RZ stuff, if you want, but what's the point of making them put it all in every time.[/QUOTE]

Or why not just give me a damn card like PUR that keeps all my shit on that.

All my trade credit, all my info.

It's ricockulous.

Not gonna stop me from flip- er trading in my week old collection of 37 wonderful games to support there program.
:)

[quote name='tbolt30']If I already preordered rage can I get the 50% trade-in bonus or do I need to redo the preorder?[/QUOTE]

Depends on your store. I always have to cancel my current pre-order and redo it to get the bonus.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Depends on your store. I always have to cancel my current pre-order and redo it to get the bonus.[/QUOTE]

I think some of you people need to consider this, and I'm sure some people will totally think this is crazy, but I usually consider the "preorder" to be a +10% bonus... like right now you can do the "trade 3" and get 30% or do the preorder and get 40%.

So, as long as you are trading in stuff with a "base value" of over 50 dollars, then it's worth it to randomly get a preorder even if you never pick up the game, cancel it, or move it to another game because you get the 5 bucks for "free"

Like tonight, I traded in a base of 84, so for now I just conisder that by preordering I got an extra $3.40, even if I never pick it up. I try to preorder as few as I can and usually pick up all pre-orders, but it's not the end of the world if you have to preorder and abandon the preorder.

[quote name='DerClaw']I was hoping the procedure would get better with unlocked. I have no idea why they make the clerk put in the address and all that shit every time. I mean, do it once, confirm that the ID matches the RZ stuff, if you want, but what's the point of making them put it all in every time.[/QUOTE]
To get them to stop standing around watching people walking around the store looking for help and do some work?;)

[quote name='klimb22']I'm wrong?? Please read what I quoted/bolded from BudzMcGee's post. I said nothing about "regular" purchases with GCs. I guess Donut2922 has a point of not drawing attention to things so I won't speak on it again.[/QUOTE]

I did used a couple of consolidated GC for games purchases. It might showed points in RZ during the pending stage, but its alway zero out at the end.

Cheapest- They can't see your trading history at the kiosk. I looked at the screen during the entire trading process @ 3 BB, nowhere can they tell. Even asked the employee/sup that did my trading to see if they could pull it up; they can't. The only thing they can pull up is your purchase history.

I also tested the "3" limit, no flag so far.

[quote name='Donut2922']They track by your driver's license. Stores even fingerprint you although not every store does.[/QUOTE]

They would have banned me already if track by driver id.

[quote name='tepro']I did used a couple of consolidated GC for games purchases. It might showed points in RZ during the pending stage, but its alway zero out at the end.

Cheapest- They can't see your trading history at the kiosk. I looked at the screen during the entire trading process @ 3 BB, nowhere can they tell. Even asked the employee/sup that did my trading to see if they could pull it up; they can't. The only thing they can pull up is your purchase history.

I also tested the "3" limit, no flag so far.

They would have banned me already if track by driver id.[/QUOTE]

I tested the limit once too just see if I would get a message, but nothing came up. However I wouldn't be surprised if the bans came from the back end from checks of the system. It's hardly ever worth it to do more than 3 any way. I think the ID is probably used to discourage people who stole games more than to track people.

[quote name='tepro']I did used a couple of consolidated GC for games purchases. It might showed points in RZ during the pending stage, but its alway zero out at the end.[/QUOTE]
If I understand what you're saying then I don't think you understood what I was saying.

[quote name='klimb22']If I understand what you're saying then I don't think you understood what I was saying.[/QUOTE]

then enlighten me

Originally Posted by BudzMcGee
You can buy anything with a gift card, including gift cards (if you ever ask customer service to combine all your gift cards what they do is add up the individual totals and sell you a new gift card for the combined total and "pay for it" with the individual gift cards).

This was your answer:

Before anyone replies with "you don't get RZ points for purchases with BB gift cards" 1) do the above, 2)either give them your RZ info during the transaction or add the receipt on the RZ site and 3) check your points and purchases a few days later. Then respond. If it doesn't work for you than I am extremely lucky.

^Did it, no points in my RZ

If I have already put 5.00 down on a pre-order for a game am I able to get the trade-in bonus if I use the credit towards my existing pre-order or do I have to create a new one, for a different game?

[quote name='jamesdevil']If I have already put 5.00 down on a pre-order for a game am I able to get the trade-in bonus if I use the credit towards my existing pre-order or do I have to create a new one, for a different game?[/QUOTE]
YMMV depending on the rep/store. Some have used existing pre-orders and some NO pre-order at all. Most likely if a BB rep is on his A-game you will have to pre-order a new game. In the trade-in system there is only a check box to give the bonus and nothing tied to it to check if you actually pre-ordered anything.

[quote name='tepro']tango is gay w/ 2 dudes, y don't u just spit it out cause I would love to be silver using GC[/QUOTE]
I pretty much gave the step by step process in the post. If you can't figure it out then there's not much more I can do for you.

[quote name='klimb22']Before anyone replies with "you don't get RZ points for purchases with BB gift cards" 1) do the above, 2)either give them your RZ info during the transaction or add the receipt on the RZ site and 3) check your points and purchases a few days later. Then respond. If it doesn't work for you than I am extremely lucky.[/QUOTE]

If what you're saying is that you earn RZ points for the purchase of the consolidated GC using multiple smaller gift cards, I think your last sentence is the most important. In other words, if you bought a $100 GC using two $50 GCs, and you received 100 RZ points, then you were extremely lucky. I have done just that and have never received points for the consolidation transaction. As others have noted, the RZ system can be glitchy and occasionally you will make a purchase using only a gift card and will receive a random number of points.

[quote name='winterlane']If what you're saying is that you earn RZ points for the purchase of the consolidated GC using multiple smaller gift cards, I think your last sentence is the most important. In other words, if you bought a $100 GC using two $50 GCs, and you received 100 RZ points, then you were extremely lucky. I have done just that and have never received points for the consolidation transaction. As others have noted, the RZ system can be glitchy and occasionally you will make a purchase using only a gift card and will receive a random number of points.[/QUOTE]
Well I guess I was lucky 16 times this year. It all happened by chance as when I asked the rep to do the consolidation she happened to ask for my RZ number. I even said to her "we don't get RZ points for GC purchases so it didn't matter." Imagine my surprise a few days later when the transaction wasn't zeroed out on the RZ site and even more surprised 30 days later when I got the points.

To date it looks something like this $8652.14/250=34.60856*5=$173.0428 in RZ certs.

I'm going to shut up about it now because I probably jinxed myself (or ratted myself out to the BB folks on the site) and it won't work anymore.

Are you talking about getting dollars spent towards Silver status? RZ points have nothing directly to do with becoming Silver. I believe all you have to do to become Silver is spend $2500 in one calendar year and be an RZ member. So, say you have never bought anything at BB. You enroll in the RZ program and then you go to BB and buy a $250 GC. With that $250 GC you "buy" a second $250 GC. Rinse and repeat till you have "bought" 10 $250 GCs. It may (I don't know for sure) appear on your RZ account that you have purchased $2500 worth at BB and would therefore qualify for Silver status... but you only ever really spent $250. Your RZ points will only be at 250. If in your situation you do in fact get 2500 RZ points you ARE lucky.;)

[quote name='phantomphoenix']Are you talking about getting dollars spent towards Silver status? RZ points have nothing directly to do with becoming Silver. I believe all you have to do to become Silver is spend $2500 in one calendar year and be an RZ member. So, say you have never bought anything at BB. You enroll in the RZ program and then you go to BB and buy a $250 GC. With that $250 GC you "buy" a second $250 GC. Rinse and repeat till you have "bought" 10 $250 GCs. It may (I don't know for sure) appear on your RZ account that you have purchased $2500 worth at BB and would therefore qualify for Silver status... but you only ever really spent $250. Your RZ points will only be at 250. If in your situation you do in fact get 2500 RZ points you ARE lucky.;)[/QUOTE]
That's what happened I fell out of Silver status this Feb for the first time since it started. After seeing the GC thing go down a light bulb went off. Hit Silver again in one month only by "adding" each trade-in GC to the previous GC.

Just a heads up to everyone. THEY CAN SEE YOUR TRADE IN HISTORY! Although I am pretty sure it is only Managers and ONLY if they decide to try and look it up.

Here is the deal, I went in to Burbank best buy for a trade in and instead of the normal guy who is always chill helping me it was some dick manager. He rings through my trade with the pre-order bonus and 10% RZ unlocked deal and then tells me I have to put down THE ENTIRE FORTY PERCENT PRE-ORDER BONUS TOWARDS THE GAME RIGHT THEN AND THERE. I tell him NO I don't and that I have never even heard of this and I have traded in at their store and a couple others and never been told that.

He says it is policy and stated in the fine print. So I call bullshit and ask him to show me and he of course realizes I just called his bluff and proceeds to argue some more. I tell him I traded at Sherman Oaks, Atwater, and his store and never had that issue. He then tells me he only has records of me at Atwater and Burbank and rattles off info.

Bottom line is store-to-store I know the systems are a bit different but at least some places if they want to get your info out they can.

Having said this, the rest of my best buy trades have been fine. I have gone in with obvious flips and had no issues. The process is a bit ridiculous sometimes and the trade-in machines in Sherman Oaks are ALWAYS broken but otherwise still beats Gamestop.

On another note, it is technically possible for them to do a percentage bonus without the preorder in the system. I did a trade in and the pre-order machine was busted and I guess the guy was just lazy and pumped the 40% bonus for me without making me pre-order so once again YMMV but if the guy is chill he might do the bonus without the pre-order.

Bottom Line in that and life is IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK.

[quote name='klimb22']That's what happened I fell out of Silver status this Feb for the first time since it started. After seeing the GC thing go down a light bulb went off. Hit Silver again in one month only by "adding" each trade-in GC to the previous GC.[/QUOTE]

Holy fuck! That's a big loophole. I have thought about this too, but just never acted on it. I buy enough to get Silver anyway. But in the event that some year I am close but not quite...:cool:

I am sure this has been touched on before but I don't have the time to go through the past 250+ pages. If you use gift cards to buy games then the gift card dollars don't count towards RZ and they don't count towards the buy 5 get $100 deal? Correct?

[quote name='nuzebe']I am sure this has been touched on before but I don't have the time to go through the past 250+ pages. If you use gift cards to buy games then the gift card dollars don't count towards RZ and they don't count towards the buy 5 get $100 deal? Correct?[/QUOTE]
No for the RZ points, yes for the 5/$100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back