Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why you guys are not getting the unlocked thing, either, I mean use 15 of those gift cards to get the extra 10%. If you are not going to trade in 150 dollars worth of base value worth of games over a YEAR, then it's not worth it, but I think everyone in this thread is trading in at least that much each week.

[quote name='DerClaw']I don't know why you guys are not getting the unlocked thing, either, I mean use 15 of those gift cards to get the extra 10%. If you are not going to trade in 150 dollars worth of base value worth of games over a YEAR, then it's not worth it, but I think everyone in this thread is trading in at least that much each week.[/QUOTE]
True. My subscription pretty much paid for itself day one. Who knows what's in store for the rest of the year. Hopefully this whole coupon thing works itself out in our favor.

[quote name='DerClaw']I don't know why you guys are not getting the unlocked thing, either, I mean use 15 of those gift cards to get the extra 10%. If you are not going to trade in 150 dollars worth of base value worth of games over a YEAR, then it's not worth it, but I think everyone in this thread is trading in at least that much each week.[/QUOTE]

My base for today was $180. Definitely got my $15 worth! I even watched her do everything after scanning them since it was her largest trade in amount. She was surprised I was trading in NCAA 12 and Gears 3, but they were worth more with the 60% than selling them. I just wish I had pushed getting a Visa gift card. I'm surprised everyone has problems at their store. I get in and out pretty fast with nice customer service.

I only traded in 2 games to best buy today for $16. I can't bring myself to preorder something since Amazon offers better incentives as does being patient for sales/drops. I would have signed up for Unlocked but they wanted to give me the Sept. issue with BF3 on the cover, and I already have it. I'll wait til the next issue hits.

I figure a few coupon deals and some trades with the extra 10% and I have already made my Unlocked cost back and then some. I have the rest of the 11.5 months to earn even more.

[quote name='thegame85']I only traded in 2 games to best buy today for $16. I can't bring myself to preorder something since Amazon offers better incentives as does being patient for sales/drops. I would have signed up for Unlocked but they wanted to give me the Sept. issue with BF3 on the cover, and I already have it. I'll wait til the next issue hits.[/QUOTE]
So you tossed away $3 extra dollars(cuz you'd have had to put down $5 on the pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12 in order to get 50% more, aka $8) that you could've just received a refund on after the game comes out?

Besides which, the Hunted/Brink coupon should still work since $29.99 is the MSRP for it now and there are other places besides BB/GS to trade in games ya know.;);)

Got denied on the $10 Driver coupon in Houston. Was told it's only for nonsale items. I asked why it worked before and they said probably a glitch. Both managers told me the same and the Op supervisor. Lame. Now I'm not sure my mag sub was worth it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So you tossed away $3 extra dollars(cuz you'd have had to put down $5 on the pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12 in order to get 50% more, aka $8) that you could've just received a refund on after the game comes out?

Besides which, the Hunted/Brink coupon should still work since $29.99 is the MSRP for it now and there are other places besides BB/GS to trade in games ya know.;);)[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Hunted's TIV goes up some after the coupon expires. Amazon has it at $15 for the xbox 360.

[quote name='kingwormer']Got denied on the $10 Driver coupon in Houston. Was told it's only for nonsale items. I asked why it worked before and they said probably a glitch. Both managers told me the same and the Op supervisor. Lame. Now I'm not sure my mag sub was worth it.[/QUOTE]

They lied too you.
It wasn't a glitch.
Go back there and have them tell you where on the back of the coupon it says "only valid on non-sale items."

ProTip: It won't say it's only valid on non sale items.

A sale price is considered the regular price for however the long sale lasts.
The Coupon says it can't be used with other coupons or offers.
A sale isn't an offer or a coupon.

If they deny it too you again after you inform them of this,
call the corporate number while you're in the store.
You'll be surprised how fast they change their mind when you get their bosses involved.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']I wonder if Hunted's TIV goes up some after the coupon expires. Amazon has it at $15 for the xbox 360.[/QUOTE]
I don't know. But I DO know that they're kinda dumb so far on some other on sale games and their tiv's.:evil:;)

[quote name='DudeImGodly']They lied too you.
It wasn't a glitch.
Go back there and have them tell you where on the back of the coupon it says "only valid on non-sale items."

ProTip: It won't say it's only valid on non sale items.

A sale price is considered the regular price for however the long sale lasts.
The Coupon says it can't be used with other coupons or offers.
A sale isn't an offer or a coupon.

If they deny it too you again after you inform them of this,
call the corporate number while you're in the store.
You'll be surprised how fast they change their mind when you get their bosses involved.[/QUOTE]

I was also denied. A lot of folks are having trouble with the $10 off Driver:SF coupon. It is no longer stacking at checkout (at least this morning it wasn't). The guy in the gaming section tried and then he sent me to Customer Service and it wouldn't work there either and no one was willing to manually override.

The back of the coupon states "Markdowns taken from regular prices". That is what they used to deny me. You and I both know it has worked in the past, but I also know I'm not going to win that arguement when they can point to the back of the coupon.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I don't know. But I DO know that they're kinda dumb so far on some other on sale games and their tiv's.:evil:;)[/QUOTE]

Ooooo I want to know! Pretty please :D

[quote name='cheapfrag']I was also denied. A lot of folks are having trouble with the $10 off Driver:SF coupon. It is no longer stacking at checkout (at least this morning it wasn't). The guy in the gaming section tried and then he sent me to Customer Service and it wouldn't work there either and no one was willing to manually override.

The back of the coupon states "Markdowns taken from regular prices". That is what they used to deny me. You and I both know it has worked in the past, but I also know I'm not going to win that arguement when they can point to the back of the coupon.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they do not say that the "Regular Price" isn't the sale price.
It's up for interpretation.
Really wanna know ask "Kyle" over at the BB Forums.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Yes, but they do not say that the "Regular Price" isn't the sale price.
It's up for interpretation.
Really wanna know ask "Kyle" over at the BB Forums.[/QUOTE]

Who cares what's up for interpretation. Or whether you're right.

The fact is that the coupon isn't working automatically like they were previously. This is all people want to know. A lot of us don't like to argue with managers because it's not worth the hassle to save a measly $10.

[quote name='confoosious']Who cares what's up for interpretation. Or whether you're right.

The fact is that the coupon isn't working automatically like they were previously. This is all people want to know. A lot of us don't like to argue with managers because it's not worth the hassle to save a measly $10.[/QUOTE]
In my case it was gonna be a whopping $15($5 RZ certificate:razz:), so I woulda got the game for $25 instead of $30.;)

[quote name='klimb22']That explains a lot about some of your comments/reactions on here.[/QUOTE]

I was a dick too when I was his age, 1 of the trait of youth :)

got a manager to override Driver for me. But wasn't able to PM the TRU buy Dead Island get $25 gc deal
Also, I wanted to stack the Driver coupon but they wouldn't allow it
Was this YMMV?

And still waiting for that damn Unlock sticker dammit!

I purchased the Unlocked gamer program yesterday and tried to trade in some games today. The system wasn't letting them give me the 10% discount. After 10 minutes and 2 BB gamer employees, I finally convined them to click the "give 10% bonus and sign the customer up after the trade in" link. They were hesitant but eventually did it when I got a little upset saying I wasted my $ since I couldn't take advantage of the bonus.

[quote name='he1l1o']got a manager to override Driver for me. But wasn't able to PM the TRU buy Dead Island get $25 gc deal
Also, I wanted to stack the Driver coupon but they wouldn't allow it
Was this YMMV?[/QUOTE]

@Gamer coupons are supposed to work on sale prices (as of a corporate memo to stores on 6/1/11), but they do not work with price matches. Course with Driver they don't seem to work on sale prices either.

I would really hate to work at Best Buy customer service this week as I imagine more than a few angry new @Gamer subscribers will be making calls...

If Driver holds it's trade in price tomorrow I'll probably give it a shot at the BB that usually hooks my shit up. May grab Rise of Nightmares just cause (and try to play and trade that back in before the 60% bonus ends). Than probably try to price match the X-men Destiny $25 gift card deal on Tuesday.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']@Gamer coupons are supposed to work on sale prices (as of a corporate memo to stores on 6/1/11), but they do not work with price matches. Course with Driver they don't seem to work on sale prices either.

I would really hate to work at Best Buy customer service this week as I imagine more than a few angry new @Gamer subscribers will be making calls...

If Driver holds it's trade in price tomorrow I'll probably give it a shot at the BB that usually hooks my shit up. May grab Rise of Nightmares just cause (and try to play and trade that back in before the 60% bonus ends). Than probably try to price match the X-men Destiny $25 gift card deal on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

the dude that usually does my trade in says they don't PM gift cards...maybe I'll have better luck at the CS?

[quote name='tepro']I was a dick too when I was his age, 1 of the trait of youth :)[/QUOTE]
I've always been a dick.
Can't say you're wrong.

[quote name='he1l1o']the dude that usually does my trade in says they don't PM gift cards...maybe I'll have better luck at the CS?[/QUOTE]

Policy is they won't PM Gift Cards, YMMV, but the easiest way to get them too go against policy is to be a regular. If they know you spend a lot there or you're trading in a lot (Making their numbers look better) they'll consider it. Also get to know the supervisors/Managers and it makes things A LOT easier.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']I've always been a dick.
Can't say you're wrong.

Policy is they won't PM Gift Cards, YMMV, but the easiest way to get them too go against policy is to be a regular. If they know you spend a lot there or you're trading in a lot (Making their numbers look better) they'll consider it. Also get to know the supervisors/Managers and it makes things A LOT easier.[/QUOTE]

yeah i know
most of the gaming staff know me...don't know about the managers though

[quote name='DudeImGodly']

Policy is they won't PM Gift Cards, YMMV, but the easiest way to get them too go against policy is to be a regular. If they know you spend a lot there or you're trading in a lot (Making their numbers look better) they'll consider it. Also get to know the supervisors/Managers and it makes things A LOT easier.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I should bring my mom with me?! :)

[quote name='Toss']Maybe I should bring my mom with me?! :)[/QUOTE]

Do what you wish ;)

If having a parent with me means i walk out with 1k after minor effort I'm okay with it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm trading in my Resistance 3 tomorrow hope the TIV holds. Also going to try and PM Dead Island. I know I'm going to get shot down but its worth a try.

[quote name='Toss']Maybe I should bring my mom with me?! :)[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!

For all the Driver $10 posts. There was a specific memo that went out to Best Buys that after the "Unlocked" deal went into effect it voids the clause about coupons not applying to sale prices. It still DOES NOT apply to price matches otherwise a bunch of us would be getting PAID MONEY to take Brink home with us which after playing a few minutes of it sounds like the way it should be. The Driver discount has to be overridden by them at the register and entered in manually but it IS VALID as of the date the RZ Unlocked change went into effect.

[quote name='GreyFox787']Any good flips for the extra 50% right now besides Driver?[/QUOTE]

From Amazon Warehouse Deals Homefront for 12.99 and Portal 2 for 19.99. Those were the prices earlier today. Not sure what they are currently but with bonuses Homefront turns into $25.60 each and Portal 2 turns into $32 each. :)

[quote name='DudeImGodly']I've always been a dick.
Can't say you're wrong.

ITA If there is a deal I know BB shouldn't PM, then I go to this one place where the staff knows me well :) But if I want to trade in more than 3 copies of the same game, then I go to a different BB.

[quote name='Vap']Can't anyone just put $65 of their credit towards rage then return it a few days later for a full refund?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did it for Gears of War last weekend.

[quote name='nuzebe']From Amazon Warehouse Deals Homefront for 12.99 and Portal 2 for 19.99. Those were the prices earlier today. Not sure what they are currently but with bonuses Homefront turns into $25.60 each and Portal 2 turns into $32 each. :)[/QUOTE]

Good luck getting your copies before the inevitable TIV drop due to the rush of Homefront trade-ins in the next few days. Pay for overnight shipping if you want to take advantage.

[quote name='nakanenui']Good luck getting your copies before the inevitable TIV drop due to the rush of Homefront trade-ins in the next few days. Pay for overnight shipping if you want to take advantage.[/QUOTE]

actually, both those games have hit those price in the past 2 weeks or so and their TIV's have stayed the same.

[quote name='rey6eric']actually, both those games have hit those price in the past 2 weeks or so and their TIV's have stayed the same.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem with the mail-order trade in stuff. Sometimes it stays the same, sometimes it drops. Usually you can break even, though, even if there is a drop by still trading into BB or trading elsewhere.

[quote name='rey6eric']actually, both those games have hit those price in the past 2 weeks or so and their TIV's have stayed the same.[/QUOTE]

Meaning you've got two more weeks too take advantage

[quote name='nuzebe']From Amazon Warehouse Deals Homefront for 12.99 and Portal 2 for 19.99. Those were the prices earlier today. Not sure what they are currently but with bonuses Homefront turns into $25.60 each and Portal 2 turns into $32 each. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, got Homefront with my gift card balance from amazon and should be here wednesday with my amazon prime's free 2 day shipping which is perfect as I am planning on trading in a stack of games comes friday.

[quote name='kingwormer']Does anyone know what day of the week BestBuy changes there trade in values? Would make the decision to mail oder flips easier. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
They randomly change the values depending on trade-in activity.

[quote name='kingwormer']Does anyone know what day of the week BestBuy changes there trade in values? Would make the decision to mail oder flips easier. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Someone please put this in the FAQ.

The answer is at any time.

BB changes prices whenever they damn well please.

More likely though, they change it when the system updates that they have received a pre-determined amount of trades of a specific title (or if a selling price of a title has been dropped). No one knows for sure.

As others have said, it's pretty much any day. The "usual" way seems to be that it is updated some time in the morning, such that if you look at 11a.m. and it's 25 bucks, it will probably be 25 bucks when you make it to the store at 8p.m., but even that is not 100% of the time (from what people say, I'm not sure I've ever seen a post-morning change).

But, you don't have any way of knowing what it will be tomorrow for sure. Also, like said earlier though, the risk with ordering stuff can be worth it, if you have prime, especially since you will most likely still be able to break even on the trade.

As with everything BBY, it's random.

[quote name='jamesdevil']If I have already put 5.00 down on a pre-order for a game am I able to get the trade-in bonus if I use the credit towards my existing pre-order or do I have to create a new one, for a different game?[/QUOTE]
Just to follow up:

I went today to trade-in Resistance 3 that I got with the sharpshooter bundle (it had the 'not for resale' on the UPC) and they took it with no problems. Then I asked since I already had 5.00 on Rage could I apply this trade-in to that and still get the 50% and she gave me the 50% deal (42.00 total) but couldn't add it to the previous pre-order so just told me to use the physical gift card with the credit when I come to pick up the pre-order. Pretty painless and I'm happy that I wasn't hassled for having a 'not for resale' game and a previous pre-order.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Semi-related

Just got my mechanic baird code out of nowhere(i cancelled my pre-order) after I got my 50% bonus trades done, so be on the lookout[/QUOTE]

I got another bonus code too. I preordered two but then cancelled one.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Semi-related

Just got my mechanic baird code out of nowhere(i cancelled my pre-order) after I got my 50% bonus trades done, so be on the lookout[/QUOTE]

Well slap me and call me silly. I got into a heated argument on the phone with a customer service chick from Best Buy yesterday and she refused to give me the Baird code because I had never picked up my pre-order. I told her the offer was you get Baird free with pre-order. Anyways, I went last night and canceled my pre-order and got my $5 back. Just checked my email after reading your post and there's my BB pre-order code. Crazy!

[quote name='DerClaw']As others have said, it's pretty much any day. The "usual" way seems to be that it is updated some time in the morning, such that if you look at 11a.m. and it's 25 bucks, it will probably be 25 bucks when you make it to the store at 8p.m., but even that is not 100% of the time (from what people say, I'm not sure I've ever seen a post-morning change).

But, you don't have any way of knowing what it will be tomorrow for sure. Also, like said earlier though, the risk with ordering stuff can be worth it, if you have prime, especially since you will most likely still be able to break even on the trade.

As with everything BBY, it's random.[/QUOTE]

Yea I do have Prime. I was just wondering really. Was hoping to get in some of the deals for the Rage pre-order. Extra 60% (gamer) will make them worth it. If they go down, Ill still make some. Thanks for replies though guys.

Gonna take a stack of games to trade in tomorrow and hopefully use that credit to pick up Ico/SoTC + GoW; Origins. If nothing drops, I should be getting around $140.. Probably use the rest to get some of those prepaid Visa and head over to Target for the B1G1. Hopefully I don't encounter any problems :x

*EDIT*
I only have to put $5 down on Rage to get the 50% bump, right?

[quote name='bigpimpin24']*EDIT*
I only have to put $5 down on Rage to get the 50% bump, right?[/QUOTE]
Yes it's always $5 down. There is only one semi-complex way to put down more than $5 on a pre-order but we were instructed at my store to not do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back