Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']It is much better than the $16 (with no bonus) I had locked in online at Best Buy (which was my backup if the values dropped - always have a backup that at least gets you even if not better!).[/QUOTE]

Part of the reason why the TIVs tank at Best Buy is because people do exactly this. I'm certainly not faulting you, io, and indeed I have done it myself several times as I'm sure many people do. When you lock in a value with BB online in order to CYA, and then trade that copy in-story, to BB's trade system, they're expecting two copies of the game when they only receive one. Granted, BB's TIV for Homefront was way out of line with what Amazon (though I'm not sure why the PS3 version has suddenly soared) and GS have been offering over the last month, so it was bound to drop.

Also, it will be interesting to see if the trade 4 get $20 stacks like Gamestop's trade 3 get $10. So if you trade 8 will you get $40, trade 12 get $60, etc.

[quote name='cruzadel']When u check the trade in stores description, it shows hardware trade in. What does THAT mean?[/QUOTE]
My store says that and we don't take systems so I'm guessing it means the other things we take trade-in for i.e. laptops, desktops, phones, mp3 players, etc.

[quote name='Oi Stino']Hi, got another question. If I cancel my rage preorder, do I keep the 50% trade in bonus and get the $5 back? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

yes

[quote name='Oi Stino']Hi, got another question. If I cancel my rage preorder, do I keep the 50% trade in bonus and get the $5 back? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I cancelled gears and they gave my $5 pre order back on a gift card. Still had my dlc sent to me too.

[quote name='chuckywang']I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that they will provide a list of games that qualify for the $20 bonus. Otherwise, they are idiots.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing $2 min but if they were smart it would be $5 min.

[quote name='DerClaw']This has the potential to be really, really fucking awesome. Let's stop talking about ways that BB could fix it and make it not awesome.[/QUOTE]

uhhh uhh uhh IM TRADING IN ALL OF MY $60 GAMES IN.

(That'll throw em' off!)

BTWi is the DLC code from BBY for pre-ordering Gears supposed to be the skin of mechanic Baird?

[quote name='blazenumb1']Yep, I cancelled gears and they gave my $5 pre order back on a gift card. Still had my dlc sent to me too.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kingwormer']I asked today in store they said Bo restrictions far as they know. It was friends of mine that work there. So this might turn out very nice. :)[/QUOTE]

Do they want a surplus of PS2 Games?
:lol:

wow, it'll be nice to trade in my Madden 08 and NBA 2K6 if they don't put any TIV limit.

[quote name='kingwormer']I asked today in store they said Bo restrictions far as they know. It was friends of mine that work there. So this might turn out very nice. :)[/QUOTE]

I am not complaining...but how do they expect to make anything w/o a restriction. Trading $1 games to get $6 back? They won't be able to sell most of them.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']If you're really flipping for less than ⅓ of what a titles worth you're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

woah...listen to you. Bigshot flipzilla now!

I do the same. Anything less is not worth my time ;)

I sincerely hope they do it right. But im guessing for the first day Bestbuy gonna get fuck.

[quote name='musicjunkie']I looked real quick and next week is trade 4 or more get extra $20 (great for small value games but I suspect many people will want to trade in 4 at a time to max out the value)
[/QUOTE]

For those who bought Homefront for PS3 it's currently worth $20 trade in value at Amazon. I was going to trade mine in today at BB, but I checked Amazon before I head out. Xbox version is only worth $8.

[quote name='cancerman1120']They might as well hang a sign outside saying "Free $20 bills inside"[/QUOTE]
This.
If I can trade in $1 games and get this deal, sorry, but I will definitely fuck over Best Buy.

I'm Leery of this supposed new flip 4/$20. It seems too good. I call my conspirator cags together to discuss if this is just a ploy to catch the flippers and ban then...

[quote name='mattcube64']Holy fuck!

Please, please, please Best Buy don't put a minimum on the trade-ins for the Trade 4 get $20 deal. This could end up being an amazing flip! lol[/QUOTE]

Your telling me. I know a local store that tons of old sports games for a penny to 10 cents and I have a $5 voucher I wanna get rid of.

[quote name='nakanenui']This will be the first attempt for BB to do a bonus that is not % based. Fingers crossed it is $20+ on ANY 4 games (no restrictions like GS does: current generation only, and base TIV of $2).[/QUOTE]
:rofl: If there's no minimum trade value for the games(or a $1 min value n they don't drop the shitty old PS2 sports game values to $.20 or something by then), then I predict my local GS stores will be emptied of PS2 games for $1 each. Turning $4 worth of shit games into $20 in credit would be INSANE.;)

[quote name='Lightning War']Good thing I've still got over 180 PS2 games from the B2G2 I never traded in..[/QUOTE]
:rofl: That's $900 worth of games there IF the promo is no minimum trade value. Damnnnnnnnnnnn.:shock:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:rofl: That's $900 worth of games there IF the promo is no minimum trade value. Damnnnnnnnnnnn.:shock:[/QUOTE]

Actually if it's 20 extra like he said it ends up being 24.40 per four games (With my Unlocked subscription) so I end up getting close to $1100..

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:rofl: That's $900 worth of games there IF the promo is no minimum trade value. Damnnnnnnnnnnn.:shock:[/QUOTE]

I have 6 BB in my area....I will drive the loop every day to get $120 a piece if my local BB won't let me do multiples. It does make me think it will be 1 offer per RZ account or something like that. Trying to get people to join Gamers club or something.

Okay guys, we need to stop drooling over this possible deal. We are just setting ourselves up for disappointment.

That said, my $25 e-rewards gamestop gift card will become very epic on the first day of this deal if the Trade In Wet Dream of the Year comes true.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']That said, my $25 e-rewards gamestop gift card will become very epic on the first day of this deal if the Trade In Wet Dream of the Year comes true.[/QUOTE]

Nice to see a fellow e-rewarder on here. Not sure how many CAGs do them. It is good for a free $100 a year at GS.

[quote name='KtMack23']This.
If I can trade in $1 games and get this deal, sorry, but I will definitely fuck over Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Who in their right mind wouldnt, haha.

DUDEIMGODLY, I guess I will see you Sunday morning with a stack of every $1 :ps2: game from the area (to match the stack I will have).

[quote name='Lightning War']Actually if it's 20 extra like he said it ends up being 24.40 per four games (With my Unlocked subscription) so I end up getting close to $1100..[/QUOTE]
True. I forgot about the extra 10% for some reason.:shock:
[quote name='cancerman1120']Nice to see a fellow e-rewarder on here. Not sure how many CAGs do them. It is good for a free $100 a year at GS.[/QUOTE]
I've only received ONE eRewards GC so far for GS, but then again I answer the surveys truthfully so that DQ's me from more than half of them.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']True. I forgot about the extra 10% for some reason.:shock:

I've only received ONE eRewards GC so far for GS, but then again I answer the surveys truthfully so that DQ's me from more than half of them.:roll:[/QUOTE]

I get denied a lot also but I get enough to make it per quarter. Some of them I am glad I do not qualify for...they are so boring sometimes.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']True. I forgot about the extra 10% for some reason.:shock:[/quote]

I'm going to end up with like, 45 different gift cards all with 24.40 on them :rofl:

[quote name='Lightning War']I'm going to end up with like, 45 different gift cards all with 24.40 on them :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Haha, if that BB giftcard churning actually gets you silver, then you can consolidate all 45 into 1 (two at a time) and hit 2500 spent in like, a week?

I suspect (like someone else mentioned) that the 4 for $20 will be restricted to certain titles. Like their 2 for $60 promo (when Two Worlds 2 was on there)... But the optimistic side of me immediately thought about the the $0.89 PS2 games available at GameStop1

[quote name='cheapfrag']I suspect (like someone else mentioned) that the 4 for $20 will be restricted to certain titles. Like their 2 for $60 promo (when Two Worlds 2 was on there)... But the optimistic side of me immediately thought about the the $0.89 PS2 games available at GameStop1[/QUOTE]

The wording was odd. It's not a 4 for 20 like the 2 for 60 was, but it's a 4 for 20 EXTRA.. Which seems more likely for them not to restrict it. If they don't I'm going to piss my pants though because I'm going to make BANK.

i have stupid question. I've got sealed copies of games that I want to trade in. Should I bring them to BB sealed or should I open them before going there? I don't think it matters because i think they're gonna open them either way, but I just want to check if you guys have any advice. Thanks!

[quote name='Lightning War']The wording was odd. It's not a 4 for 20 like the 2 for 60 was, but it's a 4 for 20 EXTRA.. Which seems more likely for them not to restrict it. If they don't I'm going to piss my pants though because I'm going to make BANK.[/QUOTE]
and Best Buy is gonna go BANKrupt from this promotion.

So we better make this last promotion the fucking greatest.

[quote name='d33jays']i have stupid question. I've got sealed copies of games that I want to trade in. Should I bring them to BB sealed or should I open them before going there? I don't think it matters because i think they're gonna open them either way, but I just want to check if you guys have any advice. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Best to open them up for the sake of simplicity and lack of suspicion.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']and Best Buy is gonna go BANKrupt from this promotion.

So we better make this last promotion the fucking greatest.[/QUOTE]

As an employee of Best Buy, I'm still not afraid to fuck over my own company. It's not even really fucking them over. If they don't put any restrictions on it they clearly WANT to pay out the ass for all my PS2 games..

[quote name='Trance Addix']Best to open them up for the sake of simplicity and lack of suspicion.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Just opened them - dead rising 2 and dance paradise (3 of each) - I believe I'm still within the 3 per system restriction they have in place since I haven't traded any of these for the 360.

[quote name='fmwross2']...and you can pull out codes and give them to your friends or maybe use them in the future.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, one of the DR2's had the sports fan dlc code. Gonna keep it for my friend who plays this game.... thank you!

Also I can confirm when you combine gift cards and put the code from the receipt in on your RZ account online you receive full points.

WHOEVER BROUGHT THIS IDEA UP. I LOVE YOU.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Okay guys, we need to stop drooling over this possible deal. We are just setting ourselves up for disappointment.

That said, my $25 e-rewards gamestop gift card will become very epic on the first day of this deal if the Trade In Wet Dream of the Year comes true.[/QUOTE]
The GameStop GC is the only reason I joined e-rewards. They need to do away with that 1 GC per quarter restriction. I currently have $171.46 waiting to be redeemed. Good thing they did away with the expiration thing.
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']True. I forgot about the extra 10% for some reason.:shock:

I've only received ONE eRewards GC so far for GS, but then again I answer the surveys truthfully so that DQ's me from more than half of them.:roll:[/QUOTE]
It seemed I was getting denied alot before I started "lying" about my race. I started getting more surveys when checking "prefer not to answer" Go figure.
[quote name='d33jays']i have stupid question. I've got sealed copies of games that I want to trade in. Should I bring them to BB sealed or should I open them before going there? I don't think it matters because i think they're gonna open them either way, but I just want to check if you guys have any advice. Thanks![/QUOTE]
I say always unwrap them. Seen some horror stories about people taking in sealed games. I usually check the TIVs right before I trade in, but what gets me nervous sometimes is getting reduced value or worse denied when taking in brand new games from TRU, GS, etc. Can't return them and pretty much stuck getting less then expected and maybe losing money. Good thing that hasn't happened yet.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Also I can confirm when you combine gift cards and put the code from the receipt in on your RZ account online you receive full points.

WHOEVER BROUGHT THIS IDEA UP. I LOVE YOU.[/QUOTE]
You're welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back