Best Buy--Unlimited Saga $3.20 YMMV

I don't know how much coasters go for in your neighborhood, but they're not cheap around here.

I had no idea this game was being given away. Apologies all around. Where's my pipe bomb?

I bought this game desperately trying to like it, but it's just fucking awful. I barely even started playing before I wanted to throw up. I'm not sure what the fuck SE was thinking when they made this piece of shit. I guess every company needs to drop a few of these bombs to find out what works and what doesn't.

i really wanted to get this game as well because i really like the GB saga series. after reading all the reviews, i just can't get myself to spend money on it.

the game does sport some really beautiful "still" graphics. supposedly adobe had some part in this process.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Or "I have nothing to add but wanted to post anyway!"[/QUOTE]

There really is nothing to add... this game is terrible.

Bah, just shows that there are a lot of people who buy into the FF formula of "RPG as interactive movie". Unlimited Saga is pure freakin' genius. Although a lot of people think it's horrible, there is a vocal minority that absolutely loves the game. I'm in that group - I think it's the best RPG on PS2, and I know several others who agree. Certainly worth the $3 to see if you fall in the "love it" camp, isn't it? That's half the price of a RENTAL!

If you need lots of story, hand-holding to push you through a linear plot, and a movie like experience you will hate US. But if you like complex battle systems, a challenging game, and you can appreciate abstract presentation (with gorgeous still art) you may just love it. Oh, the soundtrack is also godly. The battle system with its fast pace, combo strings and switching characters is absolute genius to me. But if you'd rather just press X to choose attack and occasionally choose a spell... well, stick to FF. I'll readily admit that US is fairly weak in story, but the actual game mechanics are visionary.

I have 2 copies of this game that I used during the CC sale (buy 2 get 1 free). If anyone's interested, PM me, cuz I dont want them.

[quote name='6669']I have 2 copies of this game that I used during the CC sale (buy 2 get 1 free). If anyone's interested, PM me, cuz I dont want them.[/QUOTE]

how cheap will you sell? PM me.

[quote name='eldad9']Just for fun: a review of the next game in that series:

http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=saga[/QUOTE]

If that's what you fucking call a review. Either he simply has no business in journalism of any sort with the way he writes, or the Russian mafia threatened him with something horrible unless he breaks the 15 page barrier on an article:
Vladamir the Child-killer: Eef you do not provide substantial content for our vebsite, vee shall ensure your children are dead orphans by morning.

Tim Rogers: Can I put four reviews of games an average of 8 years old together, then quote out-of-context quotes from a guy who knew the producer, plus a bio of the art director, and cut-and-paste half of my blog entry from this morning?

Vlad: Eef it is over 3500 vords, your family is safe.

[quote name='firenze']Bah, just shows that there are a lot of people who buy into the FF formula of "RPG as interactive movie". Unlimited Saga is pure freakin' genius. Although a lot of people think it's horrible, there is a vocal minority that absolutely loves the game. I'm in that group - I think it's the best RPG on PS2, and I know several others who agree. Certainly worth the $3 to see if you fall in the "love it" camp, isn't it? That's half the price of a RENTAL!

If you need lots of story, hand-holding to push you through a linear plot, and a movie like experience you will hate US. But if you like complex battle systems, a challenging game, and you can appreciate abstract presentation (with gorgeous still art) you may just love it. Oh, the soundtrack is also godly. The battle system with its fast pace, combo strings and switching characters is absolute genius to me. But if you'd rather just press X to choose attack and occasionally choose a spell... well, stick to FF. I'll readily admit that US is fairly weak in story, but the actual game mechanics are visionary.[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much for saying that. While I wasn't really a fan of US, I'm glad to see that someone knows that RPGs can be something other than the watered-down FMVs-with-some-light-gameplay-in-between sort that most of them are these days (not that those games aren't fine in their own right, as well).

[quote name='davegargamel']I don't know how much coasters go for in your neighborhood, but they're not cheap around here.

I had no idea this game was being given away. Apologies all around. Where's my pipe bomb?[/QUOTE]
LOL. Well played.

Just cause you don't like a game that is by most/so very close to all accounts a phenomally shitty experience doesn't make you a slack jawed FF fanboy. The game, IMHO sucked. I also think that FF has been on a slow decline since 3/6, but that doesn't make US any better.

The only thing the overworld was missing was a die that you rolled to see how many spaces you could hop......it didn't have that right?

Oh yeah, largeprimenumbers is to game journalism just as unlimited saga is to games. Take that as you will.

donno, i played both the saga games on ps1, bored the CRAP outta me, sure the art is beautiful, my favorite style actually, but everything else = pure crap.

I'm a forum goon, so I usually like to take my time and read topics, but I'm consistently disgusted by the vile shit spewed out at this game, that I'm only going to skim. I absolutely LOVE this game, and the SaGa series is by far the best RPG series to ever grace any console. If you can find a new copy of this, and you can really appreciate GAMEPLAY, above ALL ELSE, I highly recommend it.

That said, it is still arguably the weakest of the Playstation/Playstation 2 entries, and it's still incredible.

[quote name='yellowcoward']Just cause you don't like a game that is by most/so very close to all accounts a phenomally shitty experience doesn't make you a slack jawed FF fanboy. The game, IMHO sucked. I also think that FF has been on a slow decline since 3/6, but that doesn't make US any better.[/quote]

You do realize that the "slow decline" argument is the same that the very worst FF fanboys use?

As far as I'm concerned, it's been a pretty mediocre series all around. FFT is far and away the best entry.

I have been buying RPGs since 1985 or so. I've probably played over a hundred for the PC. I've played most console RPGs. I have seen pretty much every style of RPG there is out there and I enjoy them more often than I don't. But Unlimited Saga is the only one that wasn't defective that I can recall having ever actually returned to the store. I kept Beyond the Beyond. I kept Ultima IX even though it seemed to require a super computer from the future to run it. I kept Fountain of Dreams! I kept my Apple II copy of Wasteland that didn't run on my 80% or so compatible Apple clone (Not that Wasteland was bad. It is a strong contender for best GAME ever, not just best RPG). But US was just too bad. The game was so bad it actually made me angry that I had paid money for it. If I saw it for this price yeah I'd probably buy it again if only for completeness sake. But I would never open it again lest I unleash a horror upon the world that would make Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest look like a masterpiece in gaming history.

[quote name='crowbb']I have been buying RPGs since 1985 or so. I've probably played over a hundred for the PC. I've played most console RPGs. I have seen pretty much every style of RPG there is out there and I enjoy them more often than I don't. But Unlimited Saga is the only one that wasn't defective that I can recall having ever actually returned to the store. I kept Beyond the Beyond. I kept Ultima IX even though it seemed to require a super computer from the future to run it. I kept Fountain of Dreams! I kept my Apple II copy of Wasteland that didn't run on my 80% or so compatible Apple clone (Not that Wasteland was bad. It is a strong contender for best GAME ever, not just best RPG). But US was just too bad. The game was so bad it actually made me angry that I had paid money for it. If I saw it for this price yeah I'd probably buy it again if only for completeness sake. But I would never open it again lest I unleash a horror upon the world that would make Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest look like a masterpiece in gaming history.[/QUOTE]

Hey!!! I HAD A LOT OF FUN PLAYING FF: MQ!!!! HOW DARE YOU BASH MY GAME!!!!!

I liked Mechwarrior on SNES back in the day, and that game was pretty crappy.

Seriously folks, why all the bickering over this. I think the game sucks, poster XYZ thinks it's good. Play what you like and who cares what people say :)

I can't think of any horrible games I like at the moment, but if I get one in my head I'll post it so a lot of people who don't know me in real life or give a shit about my opinion will be forced to read another pointless post :roll:

Of course the only reason to post at all is because your bored out of your mind and your girlfriend is asleep because she has work tomorrow ... whatever.

[quote name='yellowcoward']
The only thing the overworld was missing was a die that you rolled to see how many spaces you could hop......it didn't have that right?
[/QUOTE]

No, but Culdcept did and that game fucking rocks, so I'm not sure what you are trying to imply :)

And don't take this games suckiness out on Romancing Saga - that game is actually pretty fun

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']No, but Culdcept did and that game fucking rocks, so I'm not sure what you are trying to imply :)

And don't take this games suckiness out on Romancing Saga - that game is actually pretty fun

Dave[/QUOTE]

Did you get Romancing Saga from overstock.com? I'm waiting to pick it up if it drops to around $10~15 because it looks decent. Anyone played any of those other mediocre rated games like AtL: End of Darkness?

[quote name='crowbb']I have been buying RPGs since 1985 or so. I've probably played over a hundred for the PC. I've played most console RPGs. I have seen pretty much every style of RPG there is out there and I enjoy them more often than I don't. But Unlimited Saga is the only one that wasn't defective that I can recall having ever actually returned to the store. I kept Beyond the Beyond. I kept Ultima IX even though it seemed to require a super computer from the future to run it. I kept Fountain of Dreams! I kept my Apple II copy of Wasteland that didn't run on my 80% or so compatible Apple clone (Not that Wasteland was bad. It is a strong contender for best GAME ever, not just best RPG). But US was just too bad. The game was so bad it actually made me angry that I had paid money for it. If I saw it for this price yeah I'd probably buy it again if only for completeness sake. But I would never open it again lest I unleash a horror upon the world that would make Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest look like a masterpiece in gaming history.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed this post. :rofl:

I loved the SaGa games (SaGa Frontier is in my top 5 or 10 favorite games of all time) and even I can't stand this game. Gets major points for art style and music (IIRC), but the gameplay is horrid.

[quote name='omegaweapon7']donno, i played both the saga games on ps1, bored the CRAP outta me, sure the art is beautiful, my favorite style actually, but everything else = pure crap.[/QUOTE]
I find it to be quite the opposite. The art is so bad I feel like puking everytime I see a character.

Not long ago I also thought the SaGa series was a waste of SE's time. I used to think if SE can release SaGa games to the States why the hell have they not translated Front Mission 5!

That was before I tried both Unlimited SaGa and Romancing SaGa. My view on the SaGa series changed. Instead of "a waste of time", the SaGa series is now one of my most loved series. The battle system in SaGa games are extremely unique and fun; the non-linear gameplay is quite refresing after playing way too many linear RPGs -- the way the quests are triggered are similar to old-school RPGs on the PC (Ultima series) where you have to do a bit of thinking and detective work; battles remains exciting and challenging through out the entire game -- random battles can destroy you at any moment; multiple characters to play through, to allow for different views of the overall story and character developement... there are many more great aspects, you should go and find out for yourselves.

While I like Romancing SaGa, I freakin' LOVE UNLIMITED Saga! It has become one of my most loved game ever since I discovered it about a month ago! It has so many awesome and unique gameplay elements in it, it truely deserve it's title "UNLIMITED Saga".

If you haven't try it, and you are old enough to understand why paper D&D can be fun, that you enjoy using your brain once in a while, that you enjoy a good challenge, then you really have to go and read up about USaga... there are no other RPGs I have ever experienced quite like it -- even Romancing SaGa pales in comparison IMHO.

However, if you think USaga is a bit too "Hardcore" for you --
http://www.u-saga.com/
then you should try Romancing SaGa, it still have a good SaGa feel, without the abstractness of USaga.

I am so glad to hear others that loves USaga here, I feel less alone. :)

[quote name='firenze']Bah, just shows that there are a lot of people who buy into the FF formula of "RPG as interactive movie". Unlimited Saga is pure freakin' genius. Although a lot of people think it's horrible, there is a vocal minority that absolutely loves the game. I'm in that group - I think it's the best RPG on PS2, and I know several others who agree. Certainly worth the $3 to see if you fall in the "love it" camp, isn't it? That's half the price of a RENTAL!

If you need lots of story, hand-holding to push you through a linear plot, and a movie like experience you will hate US. But if you like complex battle systems, a challenging game, and you can appreciate abstract presentation (with gorgeous still art) you may just love it. Oh, the soundtrack is also godly. The battle system with its fast pace, combo strings and switching characters is absolute genius to me. But if you'd rather just press X to choose attack and occasionally choose a spell... well, stick to FF. I'll readily admit that US is fairly weak in story, but the actual game mechanics are visionary.[/quote]

Thanks for explaining, Square-Enix rep, but I'm still not buying your crappy game. Good try though.

[quote name='crowbb']But I would never open it again lest I unleash a horror upon the world that would make Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest look like a masterpiece in gaming history.[/quote]

So mentioning that FF: Mystic Quest is the only Final Fantasy game I actually like probably wouldn't be a popular move here? To be fair, FF: Tactics looks okay too...I have a copy sitting in my room that I plan on playing eventually. I'm also giving some of the other FF games a second chance on GBA and DS as they come out...but I still really like Mystic Quest...probably because it's very similar to the early Zelda games.

Anyway, I popped all my SNES RPGs on Ebay a couple years back (FF II, III, and several non-FF games) but couldn't part with my copy of Mystic Quest. I also kept Super Mario RPG...as I've owned it for a decade now and still haven't gotten around to playing it.

Eh, I like to make fun Mystic Quest for being an RPG on rails and its simplicity but at the time it was actually enjoyable for a while. It's not a terrible game if you take it for what it is.

[quote name='Rictor']So mentioning that FF: Mystic Quest is the only Final Fantasy game I actually like probably wouldn't be a popular move here? To be fair, FF: Tactics looks okay too...I have a copy sitting in my room that I plan on playing eventually. I'm also giving some of the other FF games a second chance on GBA and DS as they come out...but I still really like Mystic Quest...probably because it's very similar to the early Zelda games.

Anyway, I popped all my SNES RPGs on Ebay a couple years back (FF II, III, and several non-FF games) but couldn't part with my copy of Mystic Quest. I also kept Super Mario RPG...as I've owned it for a decade now and still haven't gotten around to playing it.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back