Best Buy Upgrade & Save - 01/08/12 to 01/28/12.

chatgirl4

Banned
Thanks to Taco5 for posting next weeks ad, which confirms the sale will begin on 1/8 & last through 1/28.

Offer excludes Music titles but any TV/Blu-Ray movie priced $9.99 or higher is included.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312851

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I think when Sunday rolls around if you just go to the BB site and sort the BR by price.

Here is a link to all the $9.99 movies. It's actually the $7.99-9.99 price, but sorted high to low.

Here is a link to all the $10-$14.99 movies sorted by low to high.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally participated in this sale. A couple weeks back when this sale was announced, I bought "In Treatment Season 1" from blockbuster for $5 (part of their 3 for $15 promotion. Anyway, that gave me 9 discs for $5 total, so it's like 55 cents per disc. Anyway, Best buy accepted 5 discs today no problem.

I ended up buying:
Three Amigos (after hearing everyone on this thread talk about it, I wanted to re-watch this one)
American Beauty
Cape Fear
There's Something About Mary
Out of Africa

I was kind of pissed they had Boyz in the Hood marked $9.99, but of course it rang up $9.75 even though the $9.99 price says "through 1/28/12." The BB cashier wouldn't override it or get a manager to override it and I didn't feel like arguing. I went back and picked up Out of Africa instead. Am I the first person in history to swap out Boyz in the Hood with a Meryl Streep film?

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Am I the first person in history to swap out Boyz in the Hood with a Meryl Streep film?[/QUOTE]
lol

3 more movies and I'm done

My haul
-------------
40 YOV
Something about Mary
3 Amigos
Braveheart
Robin Hood PoT
Cinderella Man
Happy Feet
Yogi Bear
Hangover 2
Harry Potter 1-5,7

Still need
-------------
Harry Potter 6 & 8
Apollo 13

[quote name='ajh2298']Quick question do the Kill Bill movies look much better in blu-ray to warrant an upgrade from the regular DVD versions?[/QUOTE]

I'm upgrading my Kill Bill DVDs to blu-ray today based on the high praises of picture quality in the review over at blu-ray.com.

[quote name='brewtownska']I'm upgrading my Kill Bill DVDs to blu-ray today based on the high praises of picture quality in the review over at blu-ray.com.[/QUOTE]

I refuse to purchase Kill Bill until they release The Whole Bloody Affair, even if that means never purchasing it.

[quote name='DestroVega']I refuse to purchase Kill Bill until they release The Whole Bloody Affair, even if that means never purchasing it.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree.

[quote name='DestroVega']I refuse to purchase Kill Bill until they release The Whole Bloody Affair, even if that means never purchasing it.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't hold out any longer. $5 a volume, I'll get my money's worth before this comes out...if ever.

Having personally seen the Whole Bloody Affair version, I personally don't feel that what is "added" is really worth holding out for. The only "edge" I would put on the WBA version is that it keeps the revelation of BeBe a secret which makes for a really good twist. But if you've already seen KB, then this point is moot.

[quote name='leichstein']Having personally seen the Whole Bloody Affair version, I personally don't feel that what is "added" is really worth holding out for. The only "edge" I would put on the WBA version is that it keeps the revelation of BeBe a secret which makes for a really good twist. But if you've already seen KB, then this point is moot.[/QUOTE]

Two questions since you have seen it, 1- was the new Anime sequence added yet, that's something pretty different. 2- only a slight difference. Was the House of Tea Leaves fight still in black and white? I actually like it B&W I think anyway, but it's a minor difference.

[quote name='Canoli2007']No Annie Hall. No Manhattan. No Godzilla Criterion. fuck off, Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

They are almost getting as bad with movies as they got with CDs.

So this week's deals are pretty much it seeing that Upgrade & Save ends Saturday.

My only buys were Harry Potter 1-5 to complete my HP Blu collection.
I already had the DVDs of 1-5 and the combos of 6-8. Now to wait 12-18 months for the all out special edition double dip of the entire series. (sigh)

[quote name='Pookymeister']Grabbed Scarface LE for $10 - 2 coupons left, no idea what/if I want. Well, I know i want Good Bad and the Weird but no stores around me have it.[/QUOTE]

I picked that up awhile ago on a whim just because I liked the actor who played in The Host. Pretty enjoyable.

[quote name='Scorch']Compared to the US set, yes, but if he's buying them individually, those discs come with the individual releases.[/QUOTE]Do movie 5-8 come with the 2nd blu? The descriptions on the site make it look like any bonus disks are DVDs or digital copies. I don't think you can go wrong w/ either option really. But if you get the UK set, that leaves you w/ 8 coupons you can use on other movies.

[quote name='bob330i']I couldn't hold out any longer. $5 a volume, I'll get my money's worth before this comes out...if ever.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Tempting to trade in my DVD version of them for Blu-ray if I can get both for $10 total. Especially since The Whole Bloody Affair will probably never come out.

[quote name='orangecrush']Do movie 5-8 come with the 2nd blu? The descriptions on the site make it look like any bonus disks are DVDs or digital copies. I don't think you can go wrong w/ either option really. But if you get the UK set, that leaves you w/ 8 coupons you can use on other movies.[/QUOTE]

7 and 8 come with bonus discs. 6 may as well. I'll check tomorrow.

Picked up 4 more movies today
Out of Africa (Blu-ray/DVD) combo
Traffic (Blu-ray/DVD) Combo
40 Years old Virgin (Blu-ray/DVD) Combo 100th Anniversary Edition
Mamamia (Blu-ray/DVD Combo)

Picked up:
50/50
Apollo 13
Troy

Wished my best buys had Four Brothers, the only movie I was looking for during this promo since I traded in my HD DVD copy.

So you didn't like Kill Bill when you saw it in the theater? If you did like the movie when you originally saw it, why would you refuse to buy it until you can get a version you've never seen?

[quote name='DestroVega']Two questions since you have seen it, 1- was the new Anime sequence added yet, that's something pretty different. 2- only a slight difference. Was the House of Tea Leaves fight still in black and white? I actually like it B&W I think anyway, but it's a minor difference.[/QUOTE]

The anime sequence is extended by maybe 5-10 minutes. It basically shows O-Ren killing the cigarette-ninja guy. I personally felt like it kinda broke the pace of the whole anime sequence (everything was originally quick and snappy then it took all this time to explain one minor detail that really didn't matter). Of course this is my personal opinion so you could feel exactly opposite. And the Crazy 88 fight is in color.

[quote name='dino88']So you didn't like Kill Bill when you saw it in the theater? If you did like the movie when you originally saw it, why would you refuse to buy it until you can get a version you've never seen?[/QUOTE]

I think DestroVega is just holding out for the most complete version possible. Personally, I didn't like Vol. 1 but enjoyed Vol. 2. Doesn't mean I'll ever buy it though.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Picked up 4 more movies today
Mamamia (Blu-ray/DVD Combo)[/QUOTE]

didn't realize 40 Yr Old Virgin was out 100 years. :D

Skipped picking up HP #6 -HBP at BB and grabbed it at Amazon for $8.81 with Prime. Saved a buck or two and a DVD.

Not a bad price if anyone is looking for that one. It's $9.99 after coupon at BB.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']didn't realize 40 Yr Old Virgin was out 100 years. :D[/QUOTE]

Universal released a 100th anniversary line of Blu's. Includes 40 year old virgin, knocked up, Billy Elliot, breakfast club, seabiscuit, babe, the Bourne movies.. There's like 15 or 20 in all. Most come with DVD and digital copies, making them better than the versions that were already out.

[quote name='Scorch']Universal released a 100th anniversary line of Blu's. Includes 40 year old virgin, knocked up, Billy Elliot, breakfast club, seabiscuit, babe, the Bourne movies.. There's like 15 or 20 in all. Most come with DVD and digital copies, making them better than the versions that were already out.[/QUOTE]

Don't some if them have a manufacturer's coupon for $3 off as well?

[quote name='WV Matsui']Don't some if them have a manufacturer's coupon for $3 off as well?[/QUOTE]

No, you get that from the website. Since a few of them are $9.99, with this deal + the manufacturer's coupon, you could get them for $1.99.

The catch is, though, that you have to enter a code from one of them on the website to get the code.. Or enter an email address, I think. Makes them a cheap upgrade for me.. I want 40YOV because it has the DVD, the digital copy, and a slipcover.

[quote name='Scorch']No, you get that from the website. Since a few of them are $9.99, with this deal + the manufacturer's coupon, you could get them for $1.99.

The catch is, though, that you have to enter a code from one of them on the website to get the code.. Or enter an email address, I think. Makes them a cheap upgrade for me.. I want 40YOV because it has the DVD, the digital copy, and a slipcover.[/QUOTE]

Scorch what's the website?

I decided to trade in another crap dvd yesterday to put towards getting Superbad with the coupon. I had a $5 RZ cert as well, so I grabbed a $.01 Game of Thrones sampler dvd (all out of blurays) so I could use the cert. Works out well, since I wanted to check out Game of Thrones, too.

I have 4 coupons left and don't see anything I want. Might blind buy 50/50 Would like to get Apollo 13 but none of the BB's around here have it.

[quote name='dino88']So you didn't like Kill Bill when you saw it in the theater? If you did like the movie when you originally saw it, why would you refuse to buy it until you can get a version you've never seen?[/QUOTE]

Loved the movie, love all QT's movies. But I'm not going to buy something when they've repeatedly said Whole Bloody Affair is coming eventually.

[quote name='dualedge2']I think DestroVega is just holding out for the most complete version possible. Personally, I didn't like Vol. 1 but enjoyed Vol. 2. Doesn't mean I'll ever buy it though.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they are waiting for Vol 3 to release the whole bloody affair? It wouldn't be the whole thing if they left out a third of it :p

Picked up Carlito's Way (newer version w/blu, dvd, and dc expiring end of 2012) and 9. Each $5 after coupons.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Picked up 4 more movies today
Mamamia (Blu-ray/DVD Combo)[/QUOTE]

Was the 100th Ann. edition of 40 Year Old Virgin $9.99 before coupon, or is some other version on sale?

[quote name='mightymek']Was the 100th Ann. edition of 40 Year Old Virgin $9.99 before coupon, or is some other version on sale?[/QUOTE]

It shares a upc with the older version, so yes, it's $9.99 before coupon.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']sorry for being misinformed. Kinda stupid casing though. I'd rather try to get the regular one since nothing is added.[/QUOTE]

Why? If nothing else, you could recoup some of the cost by selling off the DC and DVD.

[quote name='Scorch']It shares a upc with the older version, so yes, it's $9.99 before coupon.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. So the coupon should work with either version if my store only had the old one, unless the employees don't let me use it because it says "100th edition" only. Something I'll have to check out. I assume Apollo 13 is the same as far as the shared upc, so I'll look into that as well.

[quote name='mightymek']Thanks. So the coupon should work with either version if my store only had the old one, unless the employees don't let me use it because it says "100th edition" only. Something I'll have to check out. I assume Apollo 13 is the same as far as the shared upc, so I'll look into that as well.[/QUOTE]

Which coupon? The upgrade? It'll work on either regardless because they're both $9.99. If you're referring to the Universal $3 off coupon, no idea.

I've only seen 40YOV and Billy Elliot 100th anniversary editions at BB.

[quote name='Scorch']Which coupon? The upgrade? It'll work on either regardless because they're both $9.99. If you're referring to the Universal $3 off coupon, no idea.

I've only seen 40YOV and Billy Elliot 100th anniversary editions at BB.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the vagueness of my reply, I meant the Universal coupon. I'll give it a go later and see what happens.

[quote name='mightymek']Sorry for the vagueness of my reply, I meant the Universal coupon. I'll give it a go later and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

where is this coupon?

nvm found it. anyone try this on Universal titles that arent 100 years? itd make the Fast and Furious movies cheap

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FlamedLiquid']where is this coupon?[/QUOTE]

Google the promotion name along with code and it brings up a link that you can get a free code from.

No 100th Anniversary edition of Fast Times at Ridgemont High at any of the Best Buys I went to. Ended up getting it at Target for $14.99. Would have been nice to save $5 on the BD/DVD combo at BB.

does anyone know if the bourne movies in 100th package have the same upc as older ones? i would like to get them now and exchange them for the 100th when the come in

I just picked up 40 Year Old Virgin and Apollo 13, both 100th Anniversary Editions. Both rang up for $9.99, got each for $4.99 with trade in coupons, and used two of the $3 Universal coupons. So I got both for $4.58 out the door. The coupons seemed to take $3 off each one after tax, so I ended up pay a few cents more, but still a great deal. So to answer anyone's questions, yes, the Universal coupons stack with this deal and the 100th anniversay editions are on sale.

bread's done
Back