Best Buy Warranty and Buy.com vs. NewEgg

1NintendoFan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hi everyone,

I just got back from Best Buy and purchased my Xbox 360, so I'm in a bit of a :bouncy: moment. I'm very much ready to open it and get started, but I'm holding off a little bit so I can hang on to my happy feeling just a little bit longer.

Anyway... I haven't decided on the warranty yet from Best Buy and was just curious if any has it and recommends it or not. I think it would be nice to have to avoid having to ship it back and forth all the time, but I'm not sure if it is as good as it seems. I know Microsoft extended the warranty for 3 years, but to have 2 years where everything is covered and I can just take it in store and get it replaced immediately (and it be new) sounds nice. However, I'm not sure if it is really worth the $80 price tag. So my two questions are:

1. Does anyone have or have had the warranty and if so, do you recommend it? Is it really as easy as I read, you just take it in and they let you exchange it for another one?

2. I read some reviews where people said if Best Buy replaced the Xbox, you had to buy the warranty again on the new one, is that correct? I asked the cashier today and she claims you only have to buy it on the one and it will transfer over, but since I read someone having to buy it again I was just curious if this was the case.

My other question is in regards to buying something from Buy.com or Newegg.com I want to get the game, Kameo: Elements of Power, but it seems like it is getting harder to find now, so I want to get it before you can't find it anymore. Both stores have the game for $10 once you figure shipping in, but I was just curious if anyone has recommendations on which one to buy from. I've never purchased from Newegg, but hear good things, I've purchased from Buy.com when they were advertising a rebate on a memory card, the company went out of business and Buy.com told everyone that purchased the card they would get a refund or credit for the purchase and most people never got it. I've purchased from them since and not had a problem, but was curious if one was better than the other. The main thing I'm concerned about is that Buy.com says the item it shipped and sold by The Game Rush, which I'm assuming is like Amazons marketplace, so I'm kind of leaning towards Newegg.

Thanks so much and sorry for all the questions!

having worked at Circuit City previously, You definitely need to purchase the warranty again on the replacement system.

That is a good choice for bestbuy's warranty. I bought one for my PS2 a few years back. Microsoft 3 years only covers the red ring of death, but besides that you get 90 days from the manufacture.

I still suggest you use your warrenty up if it doesn't fail within those 2 years from bestbuy. You can literally say that it skips randomly and they will swap it out. Gamestop charges the same price but you only get 1 year from them.

Now at bestbuy you can automatically swap out the system if anything goes wrong. This is a plus since you don't have to wait for shipping and delivery. You still get your full money back even if there is a future price drop on the console/bundled versions.

And yes once you pass bestbuy 30 days return policy your warrenty starts. SO you will have to get a new one after those 30 days if anything goes wrong when you return it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FoxAlive']That is a good choice for bestbuy's warranty. I bought one for my PS2 a few years back. Microsoft 3 years only covers the red ring of death, but besides that you get 90 days from the manufacture.

Now at bestbuy you can automatically swap out the system if anything goes wrong. This is a plus since you don't have to wait for shipping and delivery. You still get your full money back even if there is a future price drop on the console/bundled versions.

And yes once you pass bestbuy 30 days return policy your warrenty starts. SO you will have to get a new one after those 30 days if anything goes wrong when you return it.[/QUOTE]

Not true anymore, Best buy changed there warranty policy about 6 months back. Now its like walmart /target. If your system breaks they will send it off to be repaired or replaced (up to them) it is not an exchange policy anymore :cry:
Sux it was an awesome warranty.Hope that helps

[quote name='gymguy']Not true anymore, Best buy changed there warranty policy about 6 months back. Now its like walmart /target. If your system breaks they will send it off to be repaired or replaced (up to them) it is not an exchange policy anymore :cry:
Sux it was an awesome warranty.Hope that helps[/QUOTE]

Wow that sucks, back then I had no problems swapping out my PS2s for a new one in store. But if you do send it in they usually send you a voucher for what you paid for

When I got my 360 two yrs ago I purchased the Toys R Us replacement warranty but never used it. In my opinion, dont buy one, the only probs the systems seem to have are red rings which are covered for 3 yrs!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I will look for it online or go in store and ask again. I actually seen some people bringing their Xbox 360 Elite back and they went right back and got a new one, so I'm not sure if they had an older warranty or what, but I'm definitely going to look into it. For the money, it would be nice to have everything covered if something would happen and be able to just take it in to exchange it instead of waiting on Microsoft, if they still do it... I wanted to double check on the price anyway because in one place they said it was $80 for the Pro, in another place they said it was $40 for a system $200-$299...

Also, does anyone have suggestions on Buy vs. Newegg?

Thanks again!

[quote name='1NintendoFan']Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I will look for it online or go in store and ask again. I actually seen some people bringing their Xbox 360 Elite back and they went right back and got a new one, so I'm not sure if they had an older warranty or what, but I'm definitely going to look into it. For the money, it would be nice to have everything covered if something would happen and be able to just take it in to exchange it instead of waiting on Microsoft, if they still do it... I wanted to double check on the price anyway because in one place they said it was $80 for the Pro, in another place they said it was $40 for a system $200-$299...

Also, does anyone have suggestions on Buy vs. Newegg?

Thanks again![/QUOTE]

They must of had an older warranty. They used to be called best buy replacement plans now they are called Geek Squad Black Tie Protection service plans. It will cost you 79.99 for a two year warranty on a pro, 49.99 on a arcade and 99.99 on an elite. (in my state anyway, Ohio). Funny thing is it was only 59.99 for my ps3 i bought a month ago.
As far a suggestions i love newegg. I buy all my pc parts from them. There shipping isn't as good as it was years ago but they are still great. Never bought a console from them tho.

[quote name='gymguy']They must of had an older warranty. They used to be called best buy replacement plans now they are called Geek Squad Black Tie Protection service plans. It will cost you 79.99 for a two year warranty on a pro, 49.99 on a arcade and 99.99 on an elite. (in my state anyway, Ohio). Funny thing is it was only 59.99 for my ps3 i bought a month ago.
As far a suggestions i love newegg. I buy all my pc parts from them. There shipping isn't as good as it was years ago but they are still great. Never bought a console from them tho.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I figured. They seemed to know what they were doing as if it wasn't the first time, so I'm assuming it was an older one... If I can't go in store and just get a new one then it really isn't worth it to me and the $80 really doesn't make much savings if the controller or something were to break. I found a little pricing charge for Geek Squad Protection and on that paper they listed the pro model in a range that would cost $40, so that seems about right for the PS3. I'm kind of thinking Best Buy is charging more to cover the 360 because of all the issues... When I talked with Dell they claim their warranty works so that they ship your out a new unit as soon as you call and tell them the issue, then they provide the box to mail it back to them.

Thanks, I'm thinking I will go with Newegg, I've heard good things about them from what I read, but was just curious about what others experiences were, and more recently. Since Buy.com is through another seller I don't think I want to do that and Amazon is charging more for the game and I wouldn't meet free shipping, so it would end up being closer to $20, instead of $10.

Thanks again for your reply!

Spend the $60 for the Microsoft warranty. It covers everything for three years up from the initial one, and it's no different in getting it fixed versus the factory warranty.

I know the BB warranty has changed from being a PRP (Product Replacement Plan) to a PSP (Product Service Plan). Under a PRP, they'd replace the item within two years of purchase, and the warranty is used up. The replacement is given to you as a gift card for purchase price + tax of the item in question. For a PSP, they would send it off to be fixed and it would come back repaired. If it couldn't be fixed or it's not cost-effective to fix, they'd junk it out and give you a gift card for replacement value (not purchase price) to get a comparable replacement.

If Best Buy has changed it to be a PSP instead of a PRP, pay the money from Microsoft and get it from them.

[quote name='shrike4242']Spend the $60 for the Microsoft warranty. It covers everything for three years up from the initial one, and it's no different in getting it fixed versus the factory warranty.

I know the BB warranty has changed from being a PRP (Product Replacement Plan) to a PSP (Product Service Plan). Under a PRP, they'd replace the item within two years of purchase, and the warranty is used up. The replacement is given to you as a gift card for purchase price + tax of the item in question. For a PSP, they would send it off to be fixed and it would come back repaired. If it couldn't be fixed or it's not cost-effective to fix, they'd junk it out and give you a gift card for replacement value (not purchase price) to get a comparable replacement.

If Best Buy has changed it to be a PSP instead of a PRP, pay the money from Microsoft and get it from them.[/QUOTE]

I went online to see and they really don't have any information on the warranty, other than that it is Geek Squad protection. I will get in the store before my 30 days is up and see if I can get more details on the warranty.

[quote name='Bmac1775']NewEgg has always done me right. i spend a ton of $ there[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I think I'm going to get it through them and give them a try, they also have some decent prices on HDMI cables and since I can't seem to find my spare, I'm going to have to pick up a spare.

Thanks for both your replies.

[quote name='1NintendoFan']I went online to see and they really don't have any information on the warranty, other than that it is Geek Squad protection. I will get in the store before my 30 days is up and see if I can get more details on the warranty. [/QUOTE]Here's the only info I could find on the GeekSquad.com site for their coverages:

http://www.geeksquad.com/uploadedFi...s/Content/Black_Tie_Protection/BTP_Gaming.pdf

From what I'm reading, it would be a repair plan that has them repair the console, instead of replacing it. After four repairs, they'd replace it.

[quote name='shrike4242']Here's the only info I could find on the GeekSquad.com site for their coverages:

http://www.geeksquad.com/uploadedFi...s/Content/Black_Tie_Protection/BTP_Gaming.pdf

From what I'm reading, it would be a repair plan that has them repair the console, instead of replacing it. After four repairs, they'd replace it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I didn't even think to look at the Geek Squad website... I think I have too much on my mind.

It's nice that they eventually do replace the unit, but I'm thinking I'm better off sticking with Microsoft since they should know the product better.

Thanks again!

bread's done
Back