Best Buy warranty on DS Lite question

jenksalot

CAGiversary!
Hi all,

I bought a DS Lite from Best Buy the other day and got their 2 year standard warranty on it after the guy who was helping me said if the DS Lite breaks due to standard "wear and tear" or any unavoidable type damage they'd replace it for free. He went on to say if the DS Lite was no longer carried by BB they'd replace it with a DSi. The plan cost $9.99, and there was also an expanded plan for $29.99 that covered any type of damage.
I'm thinking now maybe I should get the $29.99 plan, and i can upgrade to a DSi a couple years down the line when I "accidentally" sit on my DS Lite, inevitably smashing the screen. Has anyone had any experience with Best Buy on these warranties? Is it really that simple to get the upgrade to a DSi? Thank you.

See the guy told me the $29.99 plan covers any type of damage except water damage. I pressed him on it and he literally said I could break the DS in two pieces, bring the two pieces in and get a new one. The brochure he gave me is only on the $9.99 plan and it doesn't even mention handheld gaming devices now that i look at it. Hmmm...

I always get the Product Replacement Warranty. I had a Xbox Arcade that messed up on me several several times. I could take it back as many times as I wanted within a year and after that I'd have to get a new warranty if I brought it in after the first year. All I did was bring in my receipt each time. Say it ringed on me or wasn't reading discs or blah blah whatever and they swaped it out. NEVER NEVER EVER EVER say you broke it. Say it broke, and I don't know what happened. They can also never tell if something is water damaged if there isn't any water in it. My best buy doesn't go through all that anyway.

It replaces "general wear and tear" but not flat out broken systems. If it doesn't work, it has to be the manufacturer's fault to be replaced.

The wear and tear rule means that you can simply say that you are dissatisfied and want to redeem your plan. There doesn't have to be anything wrong with it at all. "The customer is always right."

If it doesn't work it's broken, and does replace broken systems. I droped my 360 and told them it wasn't working and got a new one. It's all in how you word it. You can get anything replaced if you need to.

and that wasn't me talking about him sitting on his screen. Yea don't sit on it. They won't cover that. if you drop it enough times in a box (so it doesn't break or ding) so it won't read games they cover that.

Okay, but if you are breaking something on purpose thinking it will be replaced and there is even a slight possibility that they won't replace it... DO NOT BREAK THE ITEM.

All you have to say is that it doesn't work as well as you would like it to. That's all. Then, if for some unforeseen reason they decide to not replace it, you don't have a system that you broke on purpose.

Ya dig?

[quote name='Mako1215']I always get the Product Replacement Warranty. I had a Xbox Arcade that messed up on me several several times. I could take it back as many times as I wanted within a year and after that I'd have to get a new warranty if I brought it in after the first year. All I did was bring in my receipt each time. Say it ringed on me or wasn't reading discs or blah blah whatever and they swaped it out. NEVER NEVER EVER EVER say you broke it. Say it broke, and I don't know what happened. They can also never tell if something is water damaged if there isn't any water in it. My best buy doesn't go through all that anyway.[/QUOTE]

They don't have the Product Replacement Plan thing anymore. They replaced that with Geek Squad Black Tie something or other now. Basically, it's a product SERVICE plan, meaning they'll try and repair it a bunch of times and if for some reason they cannot repair it THEN(and only then)you may get a replacement.

It sucks that they got rid of the PRP, but there were too many people actually utilizing it I suppose and probably more often than not it was people just wanting to 'upgrade' to the newer model of whatever and saying their item was broke or malfunctioning.

After all, a PRP is cheaper than paying MSRP for a newer model of the same item.

bread's done
Back