Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I'm aware of all that. I have VIP status, but for the last several weeks at least, those Disney+ seasons have not been eligible for the buy-one-get-others-60%-off promo (or any other promo). Maybe they removed their eligibility recently?
Yeah, the VIP promo was good when they first put the titles up on DMC, but they pulled it at some point, I think when they ran out of the UHDs. I was able to take advantage of it too and got all four titles ordered for ~$100 total.

No, I'm aware of all that. I have VIP status, but for the last several weeks at least, those Disney+ seasons have not been eligible for the buy-one-get-others-60%-off promo (or any other promo). Maybe they removed their eligibility recently?
Oh I heard it went away shortly after they were initially offered. Like a week or two after they were first listed in late August. The TV MCU 4K steels went unavailable.

Goes to show you how they treat you as soon as something becomes beneficial to the customers eh?

Disney Movie Club is how; it has some deal when you buy multiple things. It's not unlike Columbia CD catalogue mail-order stuff we used to get in the mail in the 90's. It's a movie ordering club. Where you commit to ordering a bunch more things.
I didn't do the columbia one, but back in the 90's in college the BMG one was my jam. Sign up with my college p.o. box ... wait for the package, order that one item or whatever the requirement was.. get a few more free... then once whatever the minimum was met go ahead and cancel and then sign back up when they had enough stuff I wanted. Of course they'd send that one disc a month thing and I'd walk from the p.o. box around the corner to the mail worker, marked the package return to sender and was done. Sometimes they'd send a letter demanding payment for one of those monthly discs... I'd send a letter back and never heard about it again. I didn't do anything like fake addresses and just never pay. I paid what the terms were but got out as soon as I could each time. I think I churned that service several times.

I nearly did DMC when my kids were little back towards the tail end of VHS. But the prices were pretty cheap at retail so it didn't see the value and didn't like the whole column system as I didn't want movies that I wasn't interested in.

Gosh it's been so long since I've been in any kind of media club... nice flashback to the old days.

We've really run the gamut of subjects here in the BB thread.

I did DMC club when my kids were younger. If remember it used to be the only day to get DVDs of the old Ducktales show or something.

Right now I am glad to have some blu rays because our home internet has been out since 4 pm and right now is expected to come back by 9pm.  No storms or anything so don’t know what the heck happened for it to be out for that long.  Always good to have a physical backup if there is some sort of issue.  

In previous years, Early Access was their actual Black Friday sales. If these are what Best Buy is bringing to the table across the board then they're going to have a horrible holiday season.

841bqi.jpg

Yeah, not exactly an inspiring list of games.  The prices after discounts aren't bad, but then most anything remotely interesting looking already is showing sold out.  So, nothing to see.  Not that I have the paid membership, but this doesn't encourage me to get it.

Woof, looks more like a shitty clearance sale than a Black Friday sale. If this is what it's going to look like at Best Buy when Black Friday actually happens, a lot of people will be skipping them.

None of this should be surprising. Only talking about retail games, this just reflects the fewer/fewer titles being published and the low-traffic/zero margins this stuff nets for stores (and not just BBY).

The control for sales is now squarely at Steam and the online stores for the console platforms. That's where the BF prices will really be. That's just reality.

None of this should be surprising. Only talking about retail games, this just reflects the fewer/fewer titles being published and the low-traffic/zero margins this stuff nets for stores (and not just BBY).

The control for sales is now squarely at Steam and the online stores for the console platforms. That's where the BF prices will really be. That's just reality.
There've been excellent deals from Gamestop and Amazon this year, it's only Best Buy really that's been crapping the bed.

There've been excellent deals from Gamestop and Amazon this year, it's only Best Buy really that's been crapping the bed.
Well, yeah - like I said, not surprising because BBY is looking to generally get out of the physical media retail. Dropping movies is just the first shoe. The second is obviously video games. It's just a matter of how soon.

Best Buy isn’t letting me cancel my backup preorder of the Zelda amiibo coming out this week.  Got the reminder on Friday and was going to cancel so I wouldn’t have to go and return but am unable to cancel.  It’s not in preparing to ship since there isn’t a charge (or temp charge) on my credit card right now.  Kind of annoying because I wanted to avoid having to go in store for a return.  But if they want to waste the money on shipping them to me, it’s on them.  

Best Buy isn’t letting me cancel my backup preorder of the Zelda amiibo coming out this week. Got the reminder on Friday and was going to cancel so I wouldn’t have to go and return but am unable to cancel. It’s not in preparing to ship since there isn’t a charge (or temp charge) on my credit card right now. Kind of annoying because I wanted to avoid having to go in store for a return. But if they want to waste the money on shipping them to me, it’s on them.
You aren't alone. The same thing is happening to me.

they sent out the "check your pre-order" e-mail on Friday, and it was un-cancelable on Saturday.

Yep. I mean, there was a pretty decent Buy 1 Get 1 sale that ran for like the entire summer, and only started to get mediocre near the end because most of the more in-demand games had sold through and weren't restocked by the end of the first few weeks.

You aren't alone. The same thing is happening to me.

they sent out the "check your pre-order" e-mail on Friday, and it was un-cancelable on Saturday.
It was in uncancelable on Friday for me. Went into my account Friday morning and could not cancel. I’m not understanding the logic here.

Try switching it to in-store pickup and then cancel it. I placed an online order and there was no cancelation button until I switch to pick up. It might work

decent deal on an OLED TV.  Early Black Friday deals for non-paid members just started going live at BB. 

LG 48" A2 OLED $549.99

decent deal on an OLED TV. Early Black Friday deals for non-paid members just started going live at BB.

LG 48" A2 OLED $549.99
The only downside to this is this tv has 60hz refresh rate. Most ps5/xbx owners will probably want the LG C2 (or C3) for 120hz refresh rate.

Whatever tv I buy next, I'll probably prioritize it having an ATSC 3.0 tuner and I'd rather have GoogleTV or Roku.  I'll probably be looking at a pricey sony tv.   But not buying anything as long as what I have still works.

The only downside to this is this tv has 60hz refresh rate. Most ps5/xbx owners will probably want the LG C2 (or C3) for 120hz refresh rate.
This is true.

But this is also the type of thing 75% of the people on here running 12-year-old 1080p sets should be buying instead of ever spending money ANY new console.

my 48" C1 was $900, and that's what I'd recommend. Most people would rather have a 55" or a 65" too. But this is a completely different budget, and excellent for its price point. Great price for an introductory OLED, will work as a bedroom set, and will just make you want to buy one again. After experiencing its performance.

This is true.

But this is also the type of thing 75% of the people on here running 12-year-old 1080p sets should be buying instead of ever spending money ANY new console.

my 48" C1 was $900, and that's what I'd recommend. Most people would rather have a 55" or a 65" too. But this is a completely different budget, and excellent for its price point. Great price for an introductory OLED, will work as a bedroom set, and will just make you want to buy one again. After experiencing its performance.
IMO 4k is overrated.

Have a 60" 4k in the bedroom, and a 5000 lumen 120" 1080p projector in the living room.

As long as the ambient light isn't too bridge, everything is a far better experience on the projector.

I have a Series X (and have been considering picking up a PS5) mostly for faster load times, not resolution.

IMO 4k is overrated.

Have a 60" 4k in the bedroom, and a 5000 lumen 120" 1080p projector in the living room.

As long as the ambient light isn't too bridge, everything is a far better experience on the projector.

I have a Series X (and have been considering picking up a PS5) mostly for faster load times, not resolution.
Guessing you have a low level 4k set without the ability to output wcg and decent HDR. Projectors look entirely lacking compared to a premium television these days, especially when the size gap is smaller.

I ran projectors for many years and won't even bother with one now, the difference is that stark.

My Elden Ring CE arrived hella banged up from bestbuy. Since it’s out of stock, there’s no way for them to replace it right?

It looked like a return or something. Multiple stickers on it that says ECOMM with a barcode

I mentioned the cancellation for the Zelda Amiibo greyed out a week before.  I got them yesterday and had to go to the store to return them.  Didn’t want the same thing to happen to the Splatoon Amiibo so I went to cancel this morning.  All were in one 1, all had cancelation button.  

Cancel 1, system does not give me the option to cancel all at once.  After I cancel the 1, I am no longer able to cancel the other 2.  The option is greyed out.  

I contacted them via chat. The CS rep was able to cancel the other 2 for me.  

I don’t know what is going on with their cancellation process but it is definitely wonky.  

I have 1 order from the b2g1 where none have shipped but all went to uncancelable after I got the reminder email for 1 item (and no the item on the reminder email is not the free one).  Have a different b2g1 where 1 item has shipped, but can still cancel the other 2.  

Best Buy sent out an email to members this morning.  Starting on 11/18 members can buy an Xbox series X for $50 off and they will also get a $50 gift card.  

IMO 4k is overrated.

Then get an 8K, got the Samung 8K open box for 50% last week and its amazing.

If Bestbuy puts most of its good BF deals behind a paywall this store is done
Best Buy is all about services now. Their remodels basically reduced inventory to open up the floor plan, but the sad part is they don't have services good enough to warrant those costs, for most people. Maybe if you get a TV installed or do a lot of purchases that require delivery & install yes, but other than that you'll get better expertise at a specialty store like Micro Center for anything computer related.

The hilarious thing here is if Gamestop didn't suck, it could undercut Best Buy in gaming purchases too.

All I do is buy games from BB these days, I can get my TVs and Appliances all from Costco or Sams, with BB not selling physical games soon, theres really no need to ever go there...can get everything also online.

BB the next Circuit City; byebye.

Anyone else get the PS4 Hogwarts Legacy for $20 from BB? The website refused to let me check out in any way shape or form, so I had to go in store to get it, but at that price, I didn't mind. Didn't see anyone else talk about it, yet.

Anyone else get the PS4 Hogwarts Legacy for $20 from BB? The website refused to let me check out in any way shape or form, so I had to go in store to get it, but at that price, I didn't mind. Didn't see anyone else talk about it, yet.
It's the free wand that is preventing the checkout. The wand is sold out. You can check out if you remove the wand.

It’s the freebie the website is adding automatically that is preventing checkout. They are out of it but it still adds it. If you manually remove the freebie you can check out fine.

bread's done
Back