Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bb is done, went yesterday they need Black Friday to come asap but after that what? Shelves have no games, registered are closed . Employees standing around with no customers to help.
Mine doesn’t put games out pretty much. You can do same day pick up, but when I’ve gone into the store there is almost nothing on the shelves. I don’t think they bother much with the shelves, the whole store looks unkempt.

My BB has barely any games on the shelves.  All the games are behind the register in a cabinet.  I guess if you want something you have to check the website.

Sad that this price is now viewed as an actual clearance price. Yowza.
My guess is because "Mario."

If it were any third party Switch title I would guess it would be half the price. They're banking on a mama or grandma who doesn't keep up on the sales seeing that price and going "gasp! Christmas yoink!"

Stopped my local store today to look around and saw the following on clearance for Nintendo Switch:

:Switch: Maneater - $17.99

:Switch: Miitopia - $39.99 --> lulz

:Switch: Override 2: Ultraman Deluxe Edition  - $12.99

Only by Best Buy themselves.

May be worth checking back later to see if/when it drops lower but it's easily been on sale for less than that numerous times before.
I already own it. Mainly mentioning it here for that reason - let people know BBY have it on clearance so they can monitor if it a) drops to a CAG price near them but also b) if it stays on shelves long enough TO drop further.

So much this.

Woman CEO doesn't understand her own company's core competencies and has run the business straight into the ground. While leaving their primary customers and enthusiasts in the dust. They are some kind of weird general-purpose retailer selling things like multicolor LED lightbulbs, exercise equipment, and bike locks. Congratulations, you are Sears now.
Not sure what gender has to do with this. Makes you just come off as a neckbeard. There's plenty of garbage CEOs, regardless of their gender. Sears CEO, Eddie Lampert, was definitely great, right?

As much as I dislike how Best Buy is changing its business, everything they're doing from a business standpoint makes sense. Physical video games make them no money. Sales on physical video games make even less sense.
Switching to higher ticket, higher margin items makes sense. Does it do anything for me? Nope. But that doesn't mean Best Buy isn't making smart moves.

I don't think any of these are going to save them, but I'm not sure what else they could possibly do at this point. In some ways, Best Buy is one of those retailers that are sort of stuck between the mainstream consumer electronics stores like Target/Walmart and the higher-end appliances like Sam's Club, Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards.

It doesn't fit nicely in either category, and consumers don't associate either category with it. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, Best Buy becomes almost entirely an online retailer.

None of the company's problems are due to the CEO -- and certainly nothing to do with gender. It's just a retail business that's struggling to be relevant in changing times. Would like to see Best Buy survive, but between physical media going away and television sales going to Target, Walmart, Sam's Club, and Costso --- what else are they selling that consumers don't usually associate with another retailer? The answer is pretty much nothing.
What's with all the doom and gloom? BB hit revenue records for 2020 and 2021. Of course, the former year was due in part to the pandemic. 2022 has seen a decline, but all retailers have been suffering.

Not sure what gender has to do with this. Makes you just come off as a neckbeard. There's plenty of garbage CEOs, regardless of their gender. Sears CEO, Eddie Lampert, was definitely great, right?

What's with all the doom and gloom? BB hit revenue records for 2020 and 2021. Of course, the former year was due in part to the pandemic. 2022 has seen a decline, but all retailers have been suffering.
Bravo. I think we can squeeze a few more internet points out of that one. Way to quote a post from over one month ago. You drive-by idiots can keep high-fiving each other while still having the inability to articulate the laundry list of consumer-unfriendly business practices Best Buy has enacted during recent years.

"The company was making money revenue so it's great!"

I bet that Activision-Blizzard and Tencent are your favorite gaming companies.

Rubes. This place seems filled with em lately. Real CAGs used to buy games on sale from BB by the stack. Not like you'd know anything about that. I especially like folks whom purchased Total Tech Membership that want to talk about "the way things are now". CAG status revoked for all eternity.

Can't believe you guys are simping for this garbage company. So utterly ignorant. Enjoy paying shipping this month, and pre-ordering things that won't ship-to-store. While some jerkoff at CS treats your kind with the amount of courtesy that your appearance dictates. This is the fastest that a once-adored brick & mortar retailer has gone to complete shit in my entire lifetime.

This company can no longer get by through taking advantage of part-time workers with exploitative labor practices now that Target here is starting new hires at $15.75 an hour, and it's hilarious. It's obviously going to be a huge surprise to some of you when they start closing retail locations probably right after the holidays in Q1 next year.

Bravo. I think we can squeeze a few more internet points out of that one. Way to quote a post from over one month ago. You drive-by idiots can keep high-fiving each other while still having the inability to articulate the laundry list of consumer-unfriendly business practices Best Buy has enacted during recent years.

"The company was making money revenue so it's great!"

I bet that Activision-Blizzard and Tencent are your favorite gaming companies.

Rubes. This place seems filled with em lately. Real CAGs used to buy games on sale from BB by the stack. Not like you'd know anything about that. I especially like folks whom purchased Total Tech Membership that want to talk about "the way things are now". CAG status revoked for all eternity.

Can't believe you guys are simping for this garbage company. So utterly ignorant. Enjoy paying shipping this month, and pre-ordering things that won't ship-to-store. While some jerkoff at CS treats your kind with the amount of courtesy that your appearance dictates. This is the fastest that a once-adored brick & mortar retailer has gone to complete shit in my entire lifetime.

This company can no longer get by through taking advantage of part-time workers with exploitative labor practices now that Target here is starting new hires at $15.75 an hour, and it's hilarious. It's obviously going to be a huge surprise to some of you when they start closing retail locations probably right after the holidays in Q1 next year.
All things on balance, I agree Best Buy has made a series of awful business decisions. From taking away Elite to the Total Tech nonsense, I'm unsure what exactly their long-term gameplan is.

Competition is always a good thing, and while I'd rather have Best Buy survive, it also doesn't deserve to if it's making poor business choices.

It seems like eons ago when Best Buy was the place to pick up games and movies, and the latest in tech gears/gadgets. Miss those days, but they're never coming back.

So, I noticed just yesterday that free shipping is gone now for Elite Plus, guess I wont be buying much from BB anymore. Too bad love the store, wonder how this will effect their black friday sales.

So, I noticed just yesterday that free shipping is gone now for Elite Plus, guess I wont be buying much from BB anymore. Too bad love the store, wonder how this will effect their black friday sales.
Lol, obviously you don’t buy much there. Elite plus free shipping went away back in May.

Wilmington DE location had a bunch of Bravely Default 2 for $24.99.  Also had a sticker for Collection of Mana (Switch) for $13.99, though none left.  I did back up the last Control: Ultimate Edition (XSX) for $12.99.

Just realized that Best Buy no longer gives out 10% coupons for your birthday month.  I got them the last couple of years, but nothing this year.  

Just realized that Best Buy no longer gives out 10% coupons for your birthday month. I got them the last couple of years, but nothing this year.
I think they are random or were random, I got one last year used it for monitor…didn’t get one the year before and didn’t get one this year.

Birthday coupons were officially killed awhile ago. I don't think they were heavily used due to the amount of restrictions they had to put on them.

Even with the lack of birthday coupons, there are still some codes that have been working for 10% off any non-clearance or non-sale items. 

AUG23MOVERS, which I'm assuming is from the USPS Movers Guide, has been usable for preorders and other items for 10%. I try it even with clearance or sale items just in case it might apply.

Even with the lack of birthday coupons, there are still some codes that have been working for 10% off any non-clearance or non-sale items.

AUG23MOVERS, which I'm assuming is from the USPS Movers Guide, has been usable for preorders and other items for 10%. I try it even with clearance or sale items just in case it might apply.
Didn't know that coupon code so thanks for sharing.

What has anyone managed to get to work with AUG23MOVERS? Any success using it with Switch games?

I tried it with some preorders and some other random things to try to get it to work, but no luck.

What has anyone managed to get to work with AUG23MOVERS? Any success using it with Switch games?

I tried it with some preorders and some other random things to try to get it to work, but no luck.
Just fyi, Target runs a Buy 2 Get 1 Free promo on video games periodically (I would say on average quarterly) and sometimes some Switch games and pre-orders that were supposed to be excluded end up slipping through the cracks during the first bunch of hours...... though you have to catch it when the promo goes live before they correct it. If you don't want that many games you can also immediately cancel any and still pay the discounted pro-rated price. For best results (~33% off) the games should all be the same price... or at least very close. I think it's been awhile since the last one so I would imagine there will be one soon.

My closest BB is closed for remodel. Well, you can still pick up online orders at the door. At this point, they should just keep it that way as there was nothing on the shelves when the remodel started.

My closest BB is closed for remodel. Well, you can still pick up online orders at the door. At this point, they should just keep it that way as there was nothing on the shelves when the remodel started.
Mine, too. They said they'd reopen at the end of September and it's already mid-Oct.

Keep an eye on your mailbox as Best Buy is sending out catalogs that will include a $5 certificate for some people.

Just waiting for the day they go under at this point. I haven't actually set foot in a store in six months at least since we moved states.

If you are banking your rewards points, they are auto-issue now if you don't have their cc.

Untitled.jpg

If you are banking your rewards points, they are auto-issue now if you don't have their cc.

Untitled.jpg
This is turning into a two horse race between Best Buy and GameStop for who’s trying to go out of business the fastest…

I’m just sick of all of the anti-consumer practices I’ve been seeing out of BB for the last several years

bread's done
Back