Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
What has anyone managed to get to work with AUG23MOVERS? Any success using it with Switch games?

I tried it with some preorders and some other random things to try to get it to work, but no luck.
I got it to work on the castlevania collection on the nintendo switch. It took about $3.50 off. Before I complete the checkout I'm going to try other games and see what else works

update. It also worked on pokemon violet as well, so some preorders might actually work with this code. with tax it came out to $58.44 here in texas

This is turning into a two horse race between Best Buy and GameStop for who’s trying to go out of business the fastest…

I’m just sick of all of the anti-consumer practices I’ve been seeing out of BB for the last several years
Good riddance to them if that happens. BBY can't even communicate with their distributors properly so this doesn't surprise me at all. I feel bad for the people who pre-order certain games from their LRG line that have been listed on the website for months yet still haven't been officially purchased from the company and still have no pre-order dates...

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but I picked up the PS5 version of Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin for $25 today. It's showing at $60 on the website, so YMMV.

Just saw BF2042 for $20 not sure if it’ll reach $10 soon so pulled the trigger cuz of the steelbook. Also but on persona steelbook. Not sure how limited it’ll be but doesn’t seem to be in stores only for shipping. Very limited at GameStop stores too

Also didn’t know bestbuy offers free next day shipping so that was shocking

Does anyone know if I can use a $5 certificate on eshop currency? Since the certificates are auto issue now, I'll just use what little I have and say sayonara to Best Buy, more or less.

Just saw BF2042 for $20 not sure if it’ll reach $10 soon so pulled the trigger cuz of the steelbook. Also but on persona steelbook. Not sure how limited it’ll be but doesn’t seem to be in stores only for shipping. Very limited at GameStop stores too

it was $10 on amazon the past couple of weeks. no longer though. the ps4 ver. was also $10 at best buy (during amazon sale), but it went back up over time.

so take it as you're paying $10 for multiplayer online and $10 for a steelbook.

Does anyone know if I can use a $5 certificate on eshop currency? Since the certificates are auto issue now, I'll just use what little I have and say sayonara to Best Buy, more or less.
Usually no, I wish I could buy xbox or psn cards with them, use BB as my main card.

it was $10 on amazon the past couple of weeks. no longer though. the ps4 ver. was also $10 at best buy (during amazon sale), but it went back up over time.

so take it as you're paying $10 for multiplayer online and $10 for a steelbook.
Damn seems I missed out on when it was $10 on bestbuy for ps5. I honestly wouldn’t buy it without a steelbook lol

Check Gamefly, you'll find it under $10 there.

Check Gamefly, you'll find it under $10 there.
Yeah saw that too just not sure if bestbuy would sell the steelbook by itself so been waiting for bestbuy to drop it to $20 or below for ps5 then again I want the whole package, steelbook and the game

Anyone remember how much Bb was selling evil dead ps5 when it sold out real quick? Was it $10 or $20?

Btw GOW CE keeps popping back instock, had a feeling it wouldn’t be that limited, Jotnar is different tho

Is it normal for my Best Buy store pickup preorder of god of war to say “A release date for your pre-order has not been announced. We'll let you know when it's ready.” Even though there is a release date? Just want to make sure it’s ready day 1 which is why I did store pickup lol

Is it normal for my Best Buy store pickup preorder of god of war to say “A release date for your pre-order has not been announced. We'll let you know when it's ready.” Even though there is a release date? Just want to make sure it’s ready day 1 which is why I did store pickup lol
Haven't preordered from BestBuy in a while but I used to receive an email about a week before release saying to confirm payment details and such. i usually did shipping so not sure how they do it with store pickups.

Xbox - Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Deluxe Edition - $22.99, it's $54.99 online

Standard Edition is $23.99

all of the games on main page are not showing up son really wants miitopia an 20> was perfect price same with paper mario
You want 1st party Nintendo games for under $20? During the Gamecube dra, that was plausible under its Player's Choice line.

Modern, greedy Nintendo won't do it. This is a company that's STILL selling Mario Odyssey at msrp full price, and re-releases Wii U games at $59.99.

May be when the Switch U happens and it bombs (the Nintendo cycle), you'll see your sub-$20 Ninty games.

You want 1st party Nintendo games for under $20? During the Gamecube dra, that was plausible under its Player's Choice line.

Modern, greedy Nintendo won't do it. This is a company that's STILL selling Mario Odyssey at msrp full price, and re-releases Wii U games at $59.99.

May be when the Switch U happens and it bombs (the Nintendo cycle), you'll see your sub-$20 Ninty games.
Nintendo Selects will come on Switch but might be $29. Plenty of older stuff to fill out the first year or two. Mario Rabbids, 1 2 Switch, Splatoon 2, Captain Toad, Mario Deluxe.

The thing is though: the games (especially first-party titles) are selling like gangbusters regardless, so there's hasn't been a real reason for them to do price drops. Yeah, of course we would want cheaper games and the CAGs like to complain, but from a purely business perspective you can't blame them given the statistics & sales numbers. Maybe we'll see the Nintendo selects line of value-priced games reintroduced for the Switch at some point, but I can understand why it hasn't happened thus far.

Nintendo maintaining their brand value is great.   I never feel remorseful buying those games because they retain their value over time.   Nintendo is smart as hell when it comes to that stuff. 

Conversely, no one wants to spend money on garbage Ubisoft, EA, or Activision-Blizzard because it all goes to zero.  Their games are completely worthless in a year or two.  The valuations of those companies are insane too.  It's all ephemeral profiteering from service. 

Conversely, no one wants to spend money on garbage Ubisoft, EA, or Activision-Blizzard because it all goes to zero. Their games are completely worthless in a year or two. The valuations of those companies are insane too. It's all ephemeral profiteering from service.
This, in a nutshell, is also the problem that GamePass is creating.

Who's ever going to pay $70 for a Halo game at launch again? What does that do to game valuation? What does that mean for game development and AAA games?

Nintendo refusing to lower their game prices is a direct rebuke of the GamePass threat. One wonders how long that can hold.

While Nintendo may look invulnerable now, it wasn't that long ago that its business outlook looked bleak and in this industry, it really doesn't take much (a few bad games) before your company is starting to tread red.

If you're patient, you can typically nab any Nintendo major title for $40 used from GameFly or eBay. 

This is what I typically do and I haven't failed to get a title I want yet.

If you're patient, you can typically nab any Nintendo major title for $40 used from GameFly or eBay.

This is what I typically do and I haven't failed to get a title I want yet.
Yep, that's exactly what CAG is for too. You come on here to find out about all the sales, discounts, and clearances. We typically don't pay more than $40 for new Nintendo games. Gaming can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it.

Actually just 2 or 3 years ago was the very FIRST time that 1st party Nintendo games went on steep discount during Black Friday. Remember how Walmart (and followers) had all those 1st party Swtich games for $34? Stores have done that the last couple of years now, and that was previously unheard of.

You can seriously just wait until Thanksgiving week and get most of your Nintendo library for around $30 apiece.

Hell gamestop and target had those buy x get y on Switch titles during may for gs the holidays last year for both and into q1 as well as targets 45% off sale.

There were also the coupons via Groupon for gamefly. Those were nice.

Then there was the crazy promos for Amazon via the app. 15x2 off a 25$ or more purchase and 25 off a 45$ purchase iirc. And another x off a 25 purchase if you used the drop box thing and they had the 5$ credit for watching a video at the time as well.

since when does bb not price match gamestop anymore

whats the point of shopping there anymore

man this blows i want yurukill but im not in the mood to go return 40 dollars of shit
Target fully prorates the sale. You order three copies of the game and cancel two. Oh. Sale’s over. Should have ordered it yesterday. Also, I realized this is the Best Buy thread. I guess they discounted it too now?

Target fully prorates the sale. You order three copies of the game and cancel two. Oh. Sale’s over. Should have ordered it yesterday. Also, I realized this is the Best Buy thread. I guess they discounted it too now?
He wanted Best Buy to Pm the gamestop sale price of $20.

And the B2g1 sale at Target ended Saturday.

Hypnospace Outlaw (Switch) is down to $12.99 on the BBY website.  Not sure if the in store price is less since its a clearance item.

lol this can't be for real, how are GameStop employees affected by returns?
Returns count as a negative for the store's metrics. The individual employees are also rated based on warranties, power up card signups/renewals, and trade-ins on a per transaction basis. If they get a return without any of these in a transaction it hurts their numbers.

Returns count as a negative for the store's metrics. The individual employees are also rated based on warranties, power up card signups/renewals, and trade-ins on a per transaction basis. If they get a return without any of these in a transaction it hurts their numbers.
just as a note, returns actually generally help numbers if you already have an active membership. considering warranties are off number of items sold as a % when you return things you lower the employees eligible numbers as long as you weren't returning a warranty as well it's a gain for them.

just as a note, returns actually generally help numbers if you already have an active membership. considering warranties are off number of items sold as a % when you return things you lower the employees eligible numbers as long as you weren't returning a warranty as well it's a gain for them.
So it's only when you don't have a pro membership when it hurts numbers? Good to know.

It's like working for reverse commission; you don't get to keep a cut of your sales and get punished for not selling the extended warranty.

Gamestop sounds like the most deranged place to work, what a pathetic company

Saw Returnal listed for $28.99 and the Cosmic Deluxe Edition of GotG for $22.99 at my local store. Both were found on an outer endcap of the PS aisle (facing the outer wall, as opposed to the interior drive aisle—easy to miss). Not sure if that’s now standard pricing for either (or even a common plan-o-gram location across stores), but both prices were obviously cheaper than I recall for either in recent memory.

And yikes, those gaming sections get smaller and smaller. Hadn’t darkened BB’s doorway in awhile, but what used to take up an entire aisle is now condensed into an area just under half its original size. Guessing the sections got reduced/consolidated when GCU ended and people quit shopping there for games regularly?

bread's done
Back